Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its not about being ashamed of it. but you just parrot a lot of generic headline-esque talking points
    Refute each point Uriel made. Where's is he wrong about Repugs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just a disclaimer... cotton belt republicans are probably the most terrifying politicians in the US

like i've said, i'm not a fan of the GOP, but this notion that just constantly electing democrats is going to fix everything is seriously flawed. i think the 2 party system is broken, and we're going to have ty politics until further notice. i prefer more turnover in general though. once any one of these gots is in office for too long, they get really big headed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    every democrat in congress believes in god, and outside of a few handful of jews they're all christians who believe in the judeo-christian god.

i dont think anti-evolution is on the official republican party platform though
    I wouldn't say every Democrat in Congress believes in God. In fact, I'm almost certain that there are atheists among them who just don't declare it openly because of the repercussions that would follow. Same reason why I suspect Obama is a closet atheist.

And regardless of whether or not they deny evolution in their official platform, they certainly support creationism in it. In addition, several prominent Republicans deny evolution, as does much of its base.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't say every Democrat in Congress believes in God. In fact, I'm almost certain that there are atheists among them who just don't declare it openly because of the repercussions that would follow. Same reason why I suspect Obama is a closet atheist.

And regardless of whether or not they deny evolution in their official platform, they certainly support creationism in it. In addition, several prominent Republicans deny evolution, as does much of its base.
    that's all horse speculation though. there is 1 muslim congressman, about 30-35 jewish, and the rest are christian. all claim to believe in god. if you say "well i think there are closet atheist democrats" then you could apply the same baseless speculation on republicans.

and it has nothing to do with evolution... the pope believes in evolution ffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just a disclaimer... cotton belt republicans are probably the most terrifying politicians in the US

like i've said, i'm not a fan of the GOP, but this notion that just constantly electing democrats is going to fix everything is seriously flawed. i think the 2 party system is broken, and we're going to have ty politics until further notice. i prefer more turnover in general though. once any one of these gots is in office for too long, they get really big headed
    I actually agree with you there. Obviously the notion that "constantly electing Democrats is going to fix everything" is utterly ridiculous; the two party system is there to check the excesses of the other, and to that extent, Republicans are useful. But there comes a certain point when, extremism and blind ideology completely dominates one party into sheer madness. The Democrats were that party in the 1980's, until they underwent serious internal reform in the form of the "New Democrats" in the 1990's. The Republican Party is now the one in need of serious reform.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    obama said in an interview that he goes to church every week

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually agree with you there. Obviously the notion that "constantly electing Democrats is going to fix everything" is utterly ridiculous; the two party system is there to check the excesses of the other, and to that extent, Republicans are useful. But there comes a certain point when, extremism and blind ideology completely dominates one party into sheer madness. The Democrats were that party in the 1980's, until they underwent serious internal reform in the form of the "New Democrats" in the 1990's. The Republican Party is now the one in need of serious reform.
    tbqh i think this is equally accurate to both parties

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's all horse speculation though. there is 1 muslim congressman, about 30-35 jewish, and the rest are christian. all claim to believe in god. if you say "well i think there are closet atheist democrats" then you could apply the same baseless speculation on republicans.

and it has nothing to do with evolution... the pope believes in evolution ffs.
    That's true, of course. But I think it's far more likely that the atheists are on the left (or at least the centre), and certainly not on the right. Don't you agree?

The Pope would vote Democrat if here were an American. He supports marriage equality, evolution, the Big Bang. He even said atheists could be "redeemed." Pope Francis (and most Jesuits generally) are liberal through and through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true, of course. But I think it's far more likely that the atheists are on the left (or at least the centre), and certainly not on the right. Don't you agree?

The Pope would vote Democrat if here were an American. He supports marriage equality, evolution, the Big Bang. He even said atheists could be "redeemed." Pope Francis (and most Jesuits generally) are liberal through and through.
    i think voting for a party because of views on evolution/big bang is moronic when it comes to national elections. its not like evolution was banned from schools during the bush years

state politics matter more for that, since they control education

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    obama said in an interview that he goes to church every week
    He also said he was strongly influenced by his father's atheism and was not religious in a memoir he wrote before he decided to run for public office (which is, of course, a reliable barometer of a person's true beliefs).

Besides, the mere fact that Obama is obviously intelligent and well-educated strongly suggest that he is likely to be an atheist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also said he was strongly influenced by his father's atheism and was not religious in a memoir he wrote before he decided to run for public office (which is, of course, a reliable barometer of a person's true beliefs).

Besides, the mere fact that Obama is obviously intelligent and well-educated strongly suggest that he is likely to be an atheist.
    yeah but obama cites his mother's religion as more influential

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think voting for a party because of views on evolution/big bang is moronic when it comes to national elections. its not like evolution was banned from schools during the bush years

state politics matter more for that, since they control education
    I agree. I already wrote before that I don't think social issues should decide elections.
    Maybe so, but consider this: Democrats also support policies like universal health care, raising the minimum wage, cutting taxes for the middle class (while raising taxes on the rich), and the like. These are all policies that help working-class Americans. The fact remains that the Democratic platform does far more to help ordinary people than the Republican platform does. So why would anyone other than the ultra-rich want to support Republicans?
    That's precisely my issue--people have this delusion that non-economic issues also matter. Who cares if you oppose gay marriage / abortion? That doesn't mean you should vote for your local Republican politician just because he or she does so too. It's not like they have the power to re-write federal legislation anyway. What they do have power over is the implementation of social programs in your local municipality. So why would you want to support Republicans, whose only interest is protecting the rich at your expense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    universal healthcare... the only thing we got out of the democrats was mandated healthcare, not government provided
    republicans chop taxes for everyboy

none of these issues you brought up favor democrats over republicans for the worse-off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    things like 'increasing minimum wage' make it seem fine and dandy for "lower class america" but it only benefits minimum wage workers and s over the rest of the working class... stricter insurance plans like we saw in obamacare over small businesses that have multiple employees, etc, which people have felt firsthand. this is why i was criticizing you for going with slogans instead of actual talking points originally

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah but obama cites his mother's religion as more influential
    HIS MOTHER WAS AN ATHEIST. His white grandparents who raised him were ALSO atheists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    universal healthcare... the only thing we got out of the democrats was mandated healthcare, not government provided
    republicans chop taxes for everyboy

none of these issues you brought up favor democrats over republicans for the worse-off

things like 'increasing minimum wage' make it seem fine and dandy for "lower class america" but it only benefits minimum wage workers and s over the rest of the working class... stricter insurance plans like we saw in obamacare over small businesses that have multiple employees, etc, which people have felt firsthand. this is why i was criticizing you for going with slogans instead of actual talking points originally
    How does raising the minimum wage " over" the rest of the working class?

Besides, Obamacare actually helps the working class, which is the great irony of this topic. White working-class voters support Republican officials who want to take away their healthcare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HIS MOTHER WAS AN ATHEIST. His white grandparents who raised him were ALSO atheists.
    My father was from Kenya and a lot of people in his village were Muslim. He didn't practice Islam. Truth is he wasn't very religious. He met my mother. My mother was a Christian from Kansas, and they married and then divorced. I was raised by my mother. So, I've always been a Christian. The only connection I've had to Islam is that my grandfather on my father's side came from that country. But I've never practiced Islam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does raising the minimum wage " over" the rest of the working class?
    as long as we aren't talking about multi-million dollar enterprises, increasing wages means less $ to go around. layoffs, cuts in shift hours, etc. i was a victim of this when i worked at a frozen yogurt shop ... we all had our hours sliced and had less people working per shift even though revenue was constant
    Besides, Obamacare actually helps the working class, which is the great irony of this topic. White working-class voters support Republican officials who want to take away their healthcare.
    how, exactly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My father was from Kenya and a lot of people in his village were Muslim. He didn't practice Islam. Truth is he wasn't very religious. He met my mother. My mother was a Christian from Kansas, and they married and then divorced. I was raised by my mother. So, I've always been a Christian. The only connection I've had to Islam is that my grandfather on my father's side came from that country. But I've never practiced Islam.
    Ann Dunham (Obama's mother)'s daughter, Maya Soetoro-Ng, when asked later if her mother was an atheist, said, "I wouldn't have called her an atheist. She was an agnostic. She basically gave us all the good books—the Bible, the Hindu Upanishads and the Buddhist scripture, the Tao Te Ching—and wanted us to recognize that everyone has something beautiful to contribute."[35] "Jesus, she felt, was a wonderful example. But she felt that a lot of Christians behaved in un-Christian ways."[69] On the other hand, Maxine Box, Dunham's best friend in high school, said that Dunham "touted herself [then] as an atheist, and it was something she'd read about and could argue. She was always challenging and arguing and comparing. She was already thinking about things that the rest of us hadn't."[

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh, i dont think obama is actually very religious, so im not going to drag this on

but its all pure speculation and for all we know could be true about GOP members too. but as of now all of them are openly religious, so imo its unfair to call one party pro-religious and the other pro-atheist

just by saying "obama appears intelligent and is educated, and is thus likely atheist"... you can use that same criteria to say a lot of elected republicans are atheists, unless you contend that all republicans in office are unintelligent and uneducated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as long as we aren't talking about multi-million dollar enterprises, increasing wages means less $ to go around. layoffs, cuts in shift hours, etc. i was a victim of this when i worked at a frozen yogurt shop ... we all had our hours sliced and had less people working per shift even though revenue was constant
    I've read your post multiple times, but I still don't see how it " s over" the working class. Maybe it s over other low skilled labourers looking for a minimum wage job by reducing employment rates. But it doesn't " over" the working-class.

how exactly?
    ObamaCare has exponentially increased the number of Americans who have health insurance, including working-class Americans who previously did not have access to it. Republicans, whose base consists of working-class whites, want to repeal ObamaCare. So working-class white Americans are voting for politicians who want to kill a system that gives them access to health insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EDIT: What the , SpursTalk removed my reply to your other post......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've read your post multiple times, but I still don't see how it " s over" the working class. Maybe it s over other low skilled labourers looking for a minimum wage job by reducing employment rates. But it doesn't " over" the working-class.
    yeah i was mostly talking about low skilled laborers looking for entry level work being affected, as well as small business owners. its not going to realistically affect the giant corporations like your wal-marts and such, 49% of private sector employment is from small business anyway

ObamaCare has exponentially increased the number of Americans who have health insurance, including working-class Americans who previously did not have access to it. Republicans, whose base consists of working-class whites, want to repeal ObamaCare. So working-class white Americans are voting for politicians who want to kill a system that gives them access to health insurance.
    i think some good came out of obamacare. better mandated coverage for women, and the ability to get insured for pre-existing conditions. but the fact that in "insures more americans than before" is just due to it being a mandate/tax. heck, the supreme court only found obamacare to be cons utional because they determined it was a tax

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh, i dont think obama is actually very religious, so im not going to drag this on

but its all pure speculation and for all we know could be true about GOP members too. but as of now all of them are openly religious, so imo its unfair to call one party pro-religious and the other pro-atheist

just by saying "obama appears intelligent and is educated, and is thus likely atheist"... you can use that same criteria to say a lot of elected republicans are atheists, unless you contend that all republicans in office are unintelligent and uneducated
    I wrote a long and detailed reply to this, but I'm too lazy to re-type it. The bottom line is, yes, there definitely are pro-science Republicans, but there are more pro-science people on the Left and more anti-science people on the Right. That's just the way their political ideologies are constructed.

The fact that Huntsman, a Republican presidential candidate, had to write "call me crazy" in that tweet just goes to show how far off the rails his party has gone off on this issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wrote a long and detailed reply to this, but I'm too lazy to re-type it. The bottom line is, yes, there definitely are pro-science Republicans, but there are more pro-science people on the Left and more anti-science people on the Right. That's just the way their political ideologies are constructed.

The fact that Huntsman, a Republican presidential candidate, had to write "call me crazy" in that tweet just goes to show how far off the rails his party has gone off on this issue.
    if you wanted a better target, theres Paul Broun

Thread Information