Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs weren't elected in Arkansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Alaska last night? It's funny when people vote against Republican views but for Republicans because they don't like the nigger.
    Repug politicians are mostly out step with the majority of Americans on mj, same-sex marriage, minimum wage, financial regulation/taxing, wealthy taxing, other issues, because they pander to their extreme right wing/Christian base and grovel before BigCorps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs weren't elected in Arkansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Alaska last night? It's funny when people vote against Republican views but for Republicans because they don't like the nigger.

Lol, Godwin's law 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking from experience (former H1B holder, current citizen), *legal* immigration to the US is actually fairly difficult. You need to have a "sponsor", that sponsor needs to either cut a lot of red tape or have a fat wallet.

For whatever reason, current U.S. immigration policy makes it more difficult for skilled people from countries not named Mexico.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, Godwin's law 2.0
    Republicans are mostly against even having a minimum wage much less increasing it, so it's pretty strange to vote for minimum wage increases and vote Republican on the same ballot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans are mostly against even having a minimum wage much less increasing it, so it's pretty strange to vote for minimum wage increases and vote Republican on the same ballot.
    Must be a racial thing then

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Must be a racial thing then
    Most likely

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, Godwin's law 2.0
    not at all. Racism and xenophobia have been, are fundamental to Repug strategy for 50+ years, even when they were Democrats in the South, until LBJ pushed through the progressive laws of the 1960s and the Southern Strategy converted racist southern Dems to Repugs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haven't you heard, BB, we're living in a post racial society now. all ascriptions of racism, except those lodged by a persecuted white minority against against racist anti-racism, are axiomatically cynical and false.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haven't you heard, BB, we're living in a post racial society now. all ascriptions of racism, except those lodged by a persecuted white minority against against racist anti-racism, are axiomatically cynical and false.

When everything is racist -- nothing is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who said everything was racist?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For whatever reason, current U.S. immigration policy makes it more difficult for skilled people from countries not named Mexico.
    It's the other way around, tbh... You look at the visa lottery, and Mexicans cannot apply. Like I said, *legal* immigration costs a lot of time and money, and it's generally difficult.

Mexico is the typical case of a border country. Don't forget than in the US, almost half of illegal immigrants just overstayed their tourist visas.

How to tackle that is a complex problem. It's solvable, but it's going to take more than alleged silver bullets like building a fence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to reflexively deny that a significant part of the opposition to Obama -- and support for the GOP -- proceeds from racism, seems as unrealistic as chalking everything up to racism. racism surely still exists, and racists vote.

does it explain everything? no. but it does explain some things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to reflexively deny that a significant part of the opposition to Obama -- and support for the GOP -- proceeds from racism, seems as unrealistic as chalking everything up to racism. racism surely still exists, and racists vote.

Or, it's just the cyclical nature of politics. There are many examples of midterms going against the party of the in bent president.

But, whatever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did the people of Illinois suddenly become racist by electing a republican governor? I'm pretty sure Obama carried that state in two elections. Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    historical patterns don't explain everything either.

you think racism explains nothing in politics? how terribly naive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the Repugs/right-wing-hate-media LIE and SLIMES on Obama build on, amplify the Repugs' rural, white, low-wage, low-education base's racism and xenophobia. He's a n!gg@, fist-bumping terrist, Kenyan, communist community organizer, pals around with terrists, out-of-control spender, etc, etc.

Then they blame him for ISIS (a Repug creation) and Ebola (Repugs cuts to NIH) coming to destroy 'murica.

The Repugs' storm of propaganda, lies, slander drowns out, for their base, how much the Repugs have ed up Congress, have blocked EVERYTHING since 2010 that could have helped America forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whether it's you complaining that Obama can't get anything done because of Republican Congressmen, or Republican Congressman complaining (as they surely will the next two years) that they can't get anything done because of Obama, it amounts to the same thing: electoral posturing has replaced governing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. During Obama's Presidency, unemployment has gone down, economic growth has accelerated, the budget deficit has plummeted, and millions more Americans have health insurance. So why don't people give him credit for his accomplishments?

Because of the color of his skin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whether it's you complaining that Obama can't get anything done because of Republican Congressmen, or Republican Congressman complaining (as they surely will the next two years) that they can't get anything done because of Obama, it amounts to the same thing: electoral posturing has replaced governing.
    "you complaining that Obama can't get anything done because of Republican Congressmen" is a fact and worthy of vehement complaints, as Repugs would rather hurt the country, have people DEAD (block medicaid expansion) than allow Dems any progress.

Whether Obama will really veto Repug garbage, remains to be seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. During Obama's Presidency, unemployment has gone down, economic growth has accelerated, the budget deficit has plummeted, and millions more Americans have health insurance. So why don't people give him credit for his accomplishments?

Because of the color of his skin.
    Economic growth has been , unemployment is down because of the way it's calculated, and Obamacare is a cluster because he wouldn't stand up to Nelson and other Blue Dog gots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me ask you this: If working-class white voters were informed that the overwhelming majority of welfare recipients are white, instead of the single-parent black teenaged mother that they imagine it to be, do you honestly believe they'd still be as vehemently opposed to it as they are now? That's a simple yes or no question, and I want a straight answer.
    Last edited by Uriel; 11-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Economic growth has been , unemployment is down because of the way it's calculated, and Obamacare is a cluster because he wouldn't stand up to Nelson and other Blue Dog gots.
    President Obama Took Office
    (January 2009) Today
    7,949 The Dow Jones Index 17,390
    7.8% Unemployment 5.9%
    -5.4% GDP Growth 4.6%
    9.8% Deficit GDP % 2.8%
    37.7 Consumer Confidence 94.5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Your nuanced political takes are a refreshing change of pace from the extreme partisanship that many posters, including I admittedly, am guilty of in this forum. Well done.

Thread Information