Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, Obama deserves credit for putting out there....so we can debate about it today...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, Obama deserves credit for putting out there....so we can debate about it today...
    Obama deserves credit for Snowden releasing those files to the media? Good god, do you really believe what you're writing? Are you really that stupid and blinded or are you just on the party paycheck?

Pathetic, just pathetic... Obama deserves credit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama deserves credit for Snowden releasing those files to the media? Good god, do you really believe what you're writing? Are you really that stupid and blinded or are you just on the party paycheck?

Pathetic, just pathetic... Obama deserves credit
    So you agree that the Bush Administration was listening in on domestic phone calls way before Obama came along....thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you agree that the Bush Administration was listening in on domestic phone calls way before Obama came along....thank you.
    Yes, I agree Obama is quite as bad as Bush was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    worse, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marissa Mayer, the CEO of Yahoo, and Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook struck back on Wednesday at critics who have charged tech companies with doing too little to fight off NSA surveillance. Mayer said executives faced jail if they revealed government secrets.

Yahoo and Facebook, along with other tech firms, are pushing for the right to be allowed to publish the number of requests they receive from the spy agency. Companies are forbidden by law to disclose how much data they provide.
    During an interview at the Techcrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco, Mayer was asked why tech companies had not simply decided to tell the public more about what the US surveillance industry was up to. "Releasing classified information is treason and you are incarcerated," she said.

Mayer said she was "proud to be part of an organisation that from the beginning, in 2007, has been sceptical of – and has been scrutinizing – those requests [from the NSA]."
    Yahoo has previously unsuccessfully sued the foreign intelligence surveillance (Fisa) court, which provides the legal framework for NSA surveillance. In 2007 it asked to be allowed to publish details of requests it receives from the spy agency. "When you lose and you don't comply, it's treason," said Mayer. "We think it make more sense to work within the system," she said.

Zuckerberg said the government had done a "bad job" of balancing people's privacy and its duty to protect. "Frankly I think the government blew it," he said.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...a-surveillance

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Secret Deal Allows NSA to Share Americans' Data With Israel

The National Security Agency routinely shares raw intelligence data with Israel without first sifting it to remove information about US citizens, a top-secret do ent provided to the Guardian by whistleblower Edward Snowden reveals.

Details of the intelligence-sharing agreement are laid out in a memorandum of understanding between the NSA and its Israeli counterpart that shows the US government handed over intercepted communications likely to contain phone calls and emails of American citizens. The agreement places no legally binding limits on the use of the data by the Israelis.

The disclosure that the NSA agreed to provide raw intelligence data to a foreign country contrasts with assurances from the Obama administration that there are rigorous safeguards to protect the privacyof US citizens caught in the dragnet. The intelligence community calls this process "minimization", but the memorandum makes clear that the information shared with the Israelis would be in its pre-minimized state.

The deal was reached in principle in March 2009, according to the undated memorandum, which lays out the ground rules for the intelligence sharing.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...ter895403&t=12

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    worse

Where are the 100K's of dead Iranians and Syrians....that..... is the Legacy of George Bush...,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    worse

Where are the 100K's of dead Iranians and Syrians....that..... is the Legacy of George Bush...,
    please try to stay on topic. we're talking about surveilling Americans, civil liberties and the like. Obama puts GWB in the shade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your tax dollars hard at work for the amusement of NSA trekkie space cowboy

Inside the mind of NSA chief Gen Keith Alexander

It has been previously reported that the mentality of NSA chief Gen. Keith Alexander is captured by his motto "Collect it All". It's a get-everything approach he pioneered first when aimed at an enemy population in the middle of a war zone in Iraq, one he has now imported onto US soil, aimed at the domestic population and everyone else.

But a perhaps even more disturbing and revealing vignette into the spy chief's mind comes from a new Foreign Policy article describing what the journal calls his "all-out, barely-legal drive to build the ultimate spy machine". The article describes how even his NSA peers see him as a "cowboy" willing to play fast and loose with legal limits in order to construct a system of ubiquitous surveillance.

But the personality driving all of this - not just Alexander's but much of Washington's - is perhaps best captured by this one passage, highlighted by PBS' News Hour in a post en led: "NSA director modeled war room after Star Trek's Enterprise". The room was christened as part of the "Information Dominance Center":

"When he was running the Army's Intelligence and Security Command, Alexander brought many of his future allies down to Fort Belvoir for a tour of his base of operations, a facility known as the Information Dominance Center. It had been designed by a Hollywood set designer to mimic the bridge of the starship Enterprise from Star Trek, complete with chrome panels, computer stations, a huge TV monitor on the forward wall, and doors that made a 'whoosh' sound when they slid open and closed. Lawmakers and other important officials took turns sitting in a leather 'captain's chair' in the center of the room and watched as Alexander, a lover of science-fiction movies, showed off his data tools on the big screen.

"'Everybody wanted to sit in the chair at least once to pretend he was Jean-Luc Picard,' says a retired officer in charge of VIP visits."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...nder-star-trek

As Snowden could say since he "won" the electronic gaming contest: "All Your Secrets Are Belong To Us"

Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-16-2013 at 05:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A judge on the nation’s intelligence court directed the government on Friday to review for possible public release the court’s classified opinions on the National Security Agency’s practice of collecting logs of Americans’ phone calls.

Judge F. Dennis Saylor IV issued the opinion in a response to a motion filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, saying such a move would add to “an informed debate” about privacy and might even improve the reputation of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court on which he sits.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/us....html?src=recg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayden: All Your Internets Are Belong to Us.

Asked whether the United States's promiscuous surveillance was setting a harmful example for other nations, Hayden suggested that the Internet's origins in the United States partially justifies the NSA's conduct.

If the Web lasts another 500 years, he said, it may be the thing the United States is remembered for "the way the Romans are remembered for their roads."

"We built it here, and it was quintessentially American," he said, adding that partially due to that, much of traffic goes through American servers where the government "takes a picture of it for intelligence purposes."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...e-using-gmail/

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Obama is a clone of Bush so I would say that he is very much like Bush. Obama's foreign policy is basically the same as Bush's foreign policy but on steroids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayden: All Your Internets Are Belong to Us.

Asked whether the United States's promiscuous surveillance was setting a harmful example for other nations, Hayden suggested that the Internet's origins in the United States partially justifies the NSA's conduct.

If the Web lasts another 500 years, he said, it may be the thing the United States is remembered for "the way the Romans are remembered for their roads."

"We built it here, and it was quintessentially American," he said, adding that partially due to that, much of traffic goes through American servers where the government "takes a picture of it for intelligence purposes."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...e-using-gmail/

sloppy seconds is a pattern with you. see post #90.

ing bot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you should try reading sometime. couldn't possibly hurt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please try to stay on topic. we're talking about surveilling Americans, civil liberties and the like. Obama puts GWB in the shade.
    so you think Obama is pesonally responsible, personally ordered the national security state to crank up even beyond its unstoppable, pervasive, invasive, illegal growth?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for everything done since January, 2009? undoubtedly.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Obama is definitely responsible. He has attempted to increase his power as president as much as possible. He doesn't give a about civil liberties but some liberals don't care about civil liberties anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama has done nothing to dial it back, that's for sure. his lawyers still argue for broader powers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sloppy seconds is a pattern with you. see post #90.

ing bot.
    ing asshole. I was quoting an especially egregious part OUT OF YOUR LINK because nobody reads links

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fair enough

Thread Information