My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you forgot conspir4cy, tbh... Italian GOATs

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What really sets the PS4 back is the CPU, tbh... the SIMD is crappy, the bandwidth from the CPU to the GDDR5 memory is not very good, the L2 cache is shared among 4 cores (so you get 2x L2 caches for 8 cores, so it's pretty easy to starve the cache), the branch predictor is single-level, instead of multi-level like newer Intel processors.

So the gain of bandwidth in loading/streaming GPU data makes up a bit for the underpowered GPU, but if your game has some critical CPU-bound stuff (and we know things like physics are still largely done on the CPU), you just lose the edge.

The Pro has the CPU clocked a bit faster, but some of that stuff is still a problem.

Like if you could build the same architecture with an i5 + same GPU, it would be so much faster, it's not even funny. Even with 4 cores (1 for the OS and 3 for the games).
    Yeah I was disappointed to get console refreshes with the same garbage low power Jaguar cores instead of a new generation design. Why in the put a notebook cpu in a gaming console? I was always hoping these new consoles would come with Zen cpus which I keep hearing will compete well with the unlocked Haswell i5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those s should be releasing something today based on their previous schedule of Denuvo cracked releases.

CPY has been releasing cracked Denuvo games every 15 days since ROTR. 15 days later they released Inside. 15 days after that Doom. And 15 days after Doom is today (9/22).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one should expect native 4k. My GTX 970 can't even lock to 30 fps at medium settings in Witcher 3, and it's quite a bit faster than the GPU used in PS4 Good Version (which uses a downclocked RX 480).
    Only posted that link because Xbox 1 Scorpio will supposedly, no doubt feature 4K.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/23...iver-native-4k

Sony is not only letting Microsoft back in, they're letting them trample them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only posted that link because Xbox 1 Scorpio will supposedly, no doubt feature 4K.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/23...iver-native-4k

Sony is not only letting Microsoft back in, they're letting them trample them.
    tbh, after the flop that's the Xbox One, I wanna see this Scorpio thing running before talking about trampling...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, after the flop that's the Xbox One, I wanna see this Scorpio thing running before talking about trampling...
    It's looking promising on paper though.

it's boasting 6 teraflaps and plays 4k "nativetely." That alone gives it a clear edge imo.

We'll see if this is fail on arrival.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, XBox has no exclusives so it could have dual an X Pascal in SLI for all I care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gears of War 4 is the only thing thus far that kind of sucks to miss out on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's looking promising on paper though.

it's boasting 6 teraflaps and plays 4k "nativetely." That alone gives it a clear edge imo.

We'll see if this is fail on arrival.
    Specs will only take you so far. We had this discussion already with Apple vs Android. There's a huge ecosystem around these platforms, you really need to have way, way better specs and at least a comparable ecosystem to catch up, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My modular console for the next gen take seems to be picking up some steam among the tech sites..

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/modular-upgradable-consoles-will-be-quicker/

1200.00 consoles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    modular consoles

Good luck with that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Modular consoles

The two big advantages consoles have going for them is they're supposed to give developers one machine to target their games at and they're cheaper than PC since you can use one for a few years. These half cycle refreshes are annoying, but ultimately necessary since the original XB1 and PS4 had such crap hardware to begin with. Modular consoles have all the big disadvantages of PC (multiple targets for developers leading to worse optimized games, high cost of ownership from regular upgrading) without the advantages of PC (backwards compatibility for decades back, free online play). SMH at ty modular consoles. These half generation refreshes are bad enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    modular consoles

Good luck with that
    What do you mean? You think they're just gonna create a new console every other year then? Good luck keeping a fan base when they know their 4-500 dollar investment has been replaced by the next big thing 2 years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean? You think they're just gonna create a new console every other year then? Good luck keeping a fan base when they know their 4-500 dollar investment has been replaced by the next big thing 2 years later.
    A modular console is a PC. It's a nightmare for devs and adds little value. Heck, if not for the GPU advances, CPUs have been stale on the PC side for like 5 years (IIRC, Sandy Bridge came out in 2011).

They ed up this iteration with low powered . Both the PS3 and XBox 360 lasted like 10 years. They really only started to show their age 5 years in.

The big dilemma for console makers is that neither Intel or NVidia want to sell their cheap, because they still perform. It used to be when a new gen of processors or GPU came out, the older went dirt cheap. Not anymore. A 5 year old i5-2500k sandy bridge still sells for $300. It's a blessing because putting together a relatively solid gaming PC still costs more or less twice as much as a console, but on the other hand, it's hard for them to compete without pricing their console twice as much.

It's definitely a transition period for console makers. I don't know what they're holding up for, if AMD gets their together or if they'll wait for ARM chips to evolve some more and pair them with a uber-GPU. Something's gotta give at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A modular console is a PC. It's a nightmare for devs and adds little value. Heck, if not for the GPU advances, CPUs have been stale on the PC side for like 5 years (IIRC, Sandy Bridge came out in 2011).

They ed up this iteration with low powered . Both the PS3 and XBox 360 lasted like 10 years. They really only started to show their age 5 years in.

The big dilemma for console makers is that neither Intel or NVidia want to sell their cheap, because they still perform. It used to be when a new gen of processors or GPU came out, the older went dirt cheap. Not anymore. A 5 year old i5-2500k sandy bridge still sells for $300. It's a blessing because putting together a relatively solid gaming PC still costs more or less twice as much as a console, but on the other hand, it's hard for them to compete without pricing their console twice as much.

It's definitely a transition period for console makers. I don't know what they're holding up for, if AMD gets their together or if they'll wait for ARM chips to evolve some more and pair them with a uber-GPU. Something's gotta give at some point.
    that's what I was getting at guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think the great recession made a console like the PS3 impossible this generation. With inflation factored in the PS3 at launch was a $775 console in today's money, and Sony still took huge losses on every console sold for a while. No way they were going to be able to sell now for the kind of prices they could command in 2006/07, so they cut corners with crap cpus and a low end gpu on the launch model. With the state of the economy I can also understand them not wanting to take big losses per console like they did with PS3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's what I was getting at guy
    oh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the great recession made a console like the PS3 impossible this generation. With inflation factored in the PS3 at launch was a $775 console in today's money, and Sony still took huge losses on every console sold for a while. No way they were going to be able to sell now for the kind of prices they could command in 2006/07, so they cut corners with crap cpus and a low end gpu on the launch model. With the state of the economy I can also understand them not wanting to take big losses per console like they did with PS3.
    True. Then again, if you look at their last quarter earnings, they made a killing with the console business. Which makes me think that's the reason they didn't switcheroo the CPU for the Neo.

I don't think they're going to change much unless MS ups their game considerably or the market fades. Right now, neither of those things have happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has the ps4 neo launched?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has the ps4 neo launched?
    November 10th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CPY forgot us. No crack yesterday

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man these s are releasing some really ty games lately. First PES 2017 and now God Eater Resurrection. I know you know these guineas, tell them to start cracking good again.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Man these s are releasing some really ty games lately. First PES 2017 and now God Eater Resurrection. I know you know these guineas, tell them to start cracking good again.
    Is Deus Ex playable on GTX now?

I've been playing Infinite Warfare, not bad tbh. Air flights are fun

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea. In crunch mode right now... probably play some games next year...

Thread Information