Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Minnesota Obamacare exchange leaks private information of 2,400 people

http://benswann.com/minnesota-obamac...f-2400-people/

Less than 24 hours after the Obamacare exchanges opened on October 1 – and indeed before the exchange database even went live – the first reported breach of privacy occurred. An employee of MNsure, Minnesota’s Obamacare exchange, accidentally sent an unencrypted email to the wrong person. The email contained the private information of over two thousand people, and went to a local insurance broker.

The broker, Jim Koester, deleted the information, and later reported it, but the incident was a striking illustration of the insecurity of the Obamacare system. The data included names, addresses and Social Security numbers, as well as other information. As Koester told the Minnesota Star Tribune, “What if this had fallen into the wrong hands? It’s scary. If this is happening now, how can clients of MNsure be confident that their data is safe?”

Though the majority of Americans were ideologically skeptical of Obamacare when it was initially passed, it has been developments in the past few months which have illustrated practical problems with the program’s implementation. Members of Congress and experts have been concerned for weeks about database integrity and design flaws, as well as the selection of employees trusted with the data.

The incident also compounds concerns Obamacare critics have expressed since the beginning about the program’s data mining. As long as it’s stored at a state level, doctors are encouraged to ask very private information about individuals. The data does not only include identifiers such as name, address and SSN, but also income, citizenship status, tax information, family size, citizenship, health plan enrollment, incarceration status and even gun ownership.

Some of this data cannot be stored at the federal level, but it can be stored at the state level and used by the federal government at any time. The fact that the system, called the Hub, is run by thousands of unvetted, low level federal employees, who can easily access it for their own gain or spread it to others unintentionally, only adds to that concern. The recent NSA and IRS scandals have shown how willing the government is to abuse its possession of such information, and Obamacare has now revealed how insecure this possession is.

This leak – and the similar ones which will inevitably follow – also comes at a time in which this data can impact people’s lives most strongly. Not only can leaks lead to iden y theft, they can lead to the publishing of information which leads to simple conflict which would not otherwise happen. In 2009, for instance, Wikileaks – which relies almost exclusively on leaks by government employees – published the membership list of the controversial British National Party, which remains online today and has led to firings.

Obamacare’s collection and storing of data on private citizens is wrong, but the fact that it is handled with such irresponsibility is unconscionable. The October 1 MNsure leak was a perfect illustration of this problem, and a situation which will likely be repeated with less benign results. As Democrats refuse to make any compromise whatsoever on Obamacare, it’s worthwhile to note the severe problems, both ideological and practical, of the system.

Benn Swann warned the public on this risk. See article here. Unfortunately the possibility of American’s personal data being breached in this massive Government program has now become a reality.

If people only knew. I guess hospitals across the entire nation shouldn't be open for business because I see these kind of breaches with patient data every single day and there are big consequences for it. It happens more often than most people think and I doubt it gets much press.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sold defined benefit plans in 2006 and a single female attar age would have cost 120ish so 135 for these type of plans is pretty good.
    Well I currently pay $320/month to cover my wife and I (both 46) so that doesn't sound very good to me. I got a letter from blue cross telling me I can check out their new ACA plans and the cheapest for us was $600. They say I can keep the old policy but if I ever give it up I can't get it back.
    Last edited by SnakeBoy; 10-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How A Rand Paul Republican From Alabama Learned To Love Obamacare

Joshua Pittman is a 31-year-old self-employed videographer from Montgomery, Alabama. A libertarian Republican who voted for Ron Paul in 2012 and believes that Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) is the future of the GOP, Pittman sees Barack Obama’s presidency as a “failure” who hasn’t lived up to the nation’s expectations.

But on Tuesday morning, Pittman logged on to HealthCare.gov and after some initial glitches and delays, successfully enrolled in a Bronze-level Obamacare health insurance plan. “It took me all day, really,” he says with a laugh. “It kicked me out and told me you have to try again, but I knew what I was getting into with so many people exploring it.”

Though he initially supported repealing the law, Pittman became curious about Obamacare in the days and weeks before it launched. For years, he had gone uninsured, thinking he’d be able to “get over anything with a bandaid and a six pack of beer.”

But a lead poisoning incident earlier this year shook his confidence and bank account, leading him with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills. “I was a healthy person and it really depleted me financially, so it made me look at things in a different way than I would before. I understood the importance of people being insured.”

“I’ve seen first hand people hitting up the emergency room for free health care and then putting a burden on [everyone else] and that’s not something I would want to do, I want to take personal responsibility … By no means am I trying to take a government handout…it’s not a free handout, you’re paying for this health care, but it’s making it more accessible to more people.”

Asked what he liked about Obamacare, Pittman highlighted its prohibition against denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, noting that he wouldn’t be able to find coverage without it, and said that the policies offered in the marketplace seemed more affordable and comprehensive than those available to him on the individual market. “You may pay $18 a month [for a cheaper plan] and you’re missing a level of coverage. It’s not as easy as you’re going to pay this much a month,” he says.

Government data shows that premiums for an individual Blue Cross and Blue Shield Bronze-level plan in Montgomery County, Alabama averages $160 per month for a 27-year old. An older adult will pay $273 per month.

“As a Republican, I think [the GOP's repeal effort] is childish and I think this is the wrong way to lead… it’s babyish and I think as a party it just reflects negatively upon us,”

“I think there are Republicans that are all types of people who are making these decisions and they’re not basing them on political party. It’s just common sense kind of things. And I think that’s the only way we’re going to make a change in this country if people start thinking on those lines, instead of political party lines.”

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/04/2730801/joshua-pittman/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Website Glitches, These People Have Successfully Enrolled In Obamacare Coverage

Some state-run exchanges, on the other hand, are already issuing early reports of very high application and enrollment numbers.

For instance, in Kentucky, state officials say that nearly 3,000 individuals and families have enrolled for Obamacare plans.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...llment-online/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went to checkout what Obamacare would do for me

We have a lot of visitors on the site right now.
    Please stay on this page.

We're working to make the experience better, and we don’t want you to lose your place in line. We’ll send you to the login page as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience!
    20 minutes and counting...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Website Glitches, These People Have Successfully Enrolled In Obamacare Coverage

Some state-run exchanges, on the other hand, are already issuing early reports of very high application and enrollment numbers.

For instance, in Kentucky, state officials say that nearly 3,000 individuals and families have enrolled for Obamacare plans.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...llment-online/

lol 640,000 uninsured in Kentucky...how is .4% considered a very high enrollment rate?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol 640,000 uninsured in Kentucky...how is .4% consider a very high application rate?
    they have six months to enroll.

I'm sure the sick, desperate ones will sign up quickly for peace of mind, while the others will sign up later, and with many waiting til last minute.

first day, in a RED ING CONFEDERATE state (that elects assholes like McConnell WombatHair Paul)?

that sounds damn good to me, obliterating the Repug/Fox propaganda that they couldn't find ANYBODY that signed up
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-04-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although a rush of online applicants Tuesday morning temporarily overwhelmed the system, preventing many users from signing up for accounts, but they were still able to browse the site and examine their options without filing an application.

Technicians quickly brought two more servers online and added processing power to the state’s computers, which a technology program manager said added “50 percent more horsepower.”

The website was fully functional by 3 p.m. Tuesday, and more than 10,700 application had been initiated by 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Nearly 7,000 had been completed and almost 3,000 individuals or families enrolled in new coverage by late Wednesday afternoon.

An expert on health reform at the Kaiser Family Foundation said Kentucky’s site was the easiest one to use of those she examined this week, saying that it incorporated fewer “bells and whistles,” such as interactive features, and allowed consumers to browse plans without creating an account.

Kentucky’s governor said Sept. 27 in a widely shared New York Times opinion piece that his state had moved more quickly than most to implement Obamacare because its residents so badly needed access to affordable health care.

“Frankly, we can’t implement the Affordable Care Act fast enough,” wrote Gov. Steve Beshear, a conservative Democrat. “As for naysayers, I’m offended by their partisan gamesmanship, as they continue to pour time, money and energy into overturning or defunding the Affordable Care Act. It’s shameful that these critics haven’t invested that same level of energy into trying to improve the health of our citizens.”

Beshear noted the law had withstood a Supreme Court challenge and urged critics to “get over it,” saying ACA would extend coverage to nearly all Kentuckians, create thousands of new jobs and inject millions into the state’s economy and budget.

But Kentucky’s Republican senators, Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, fired back Thursday with a jointly signed column in the Kentucky Enquirer, accusing Beshear of trying to win friends in Manhattan.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/0...od-web-design/

KY-jelly-brained Senators, slapped laughably by Dem Gov's ACA rollout success AND KY's citizens fast, successful uptake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think the servers got overloaded?
    Yes actually that was a large part of the problem, according to the people running the systems. Not hard to find in news accounts.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol 640,000 uninsured in Kentucky...how is .4% considered a very high enrollment rate?
    In two buggy days?

Not bad tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes actually that was a large part of the problem, according to the people running the systems. Not hard to find in news accounts.

Poor planning

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Breitbart? really?

"a New York Times
    analysis published on Wednesday found that Obamacare "will leave out two-thirds of the poor blacks and single mothers and more than half of the low-wage workers who do not have insurance, the very kinds of people that the program was intended to help." "

out of context, typicially, deeply dishonest Breitbart scam. Those are RED STATES that refuse to take Fed $Bs to expand Medicaid.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-04-2013 at 02:38 PM.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    https://m.facebook.com/Healthcare.go...ker-Shock&_rdr

Boutons you can see the comments for yourself

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was referring ONLY to Breitbart taking the NYtimes quote out of context in Breitbart's habitually dishonest manner.

The truth is that it's the Breitbart type of rightwing, sociopathic assholes in red states who are denying FREE Fed $Bs to help their mostly WHITE RURAL BUBBAS get health care.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Understood. Please refer to the Facebook comments from here on out, or ignore them if you wish. Wonder how long before .gov starts removing all the negative comments.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood. Please refer to the Facebook comments from here on out, or ignore them if you wish. Wonder how long before .gov starts removing all the negative comments.
    Am I supposed to be surprised that a program as enormous and complex will disappoint some people, will have problems at startup?

Also, Repugs going back to dirty Tricky Nixon are infamous for dirty tricks. Prove to us those facebook posts aren't Repug/tea bagger paid operatives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how TSA claims to be this moderate dude who's just passionate about guns yet trolls brietbart and the blaze to get emotionally riled up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lulz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how TSA claims to be this moderate dude who's just passionate about guns yet trolls brietbart and the blaze to get emotionally riled up

I read HuffPo fairly regularly. That doesn't mean I'm a raging leftist -- far from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like they found someone who was able to sign up. HuffPo is pretty excited about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4037136.html

Turns out, he will pay $175/month, about 18% of his $11,500 annual salary. Oh, and he's an Organizing for Action volunteer -- lol. Sucess story.

Appears that this kid never signed up. Oops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...lly-signed-up/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Darrin is out looking for any anecdote to confirm his bias. Way to keep an open mind. It's really too bad you have the right to vote.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101087965

As few as 1 in 100 applications on the federal exchange contains enough information to enroll the applicant in a plan, several insurance industry sources told CNBC on Friday. Some of the problems involve how the exchange's software collects and verifies an applicant's data.
    "It doesn't surprise me—I've heard similar numbers," said Dan Mendelson, CEO of consulting firm Avalere Health, when asked about the 1-in-100 rate that Infogix cited.

"This is not a traffic issue," Mendelson said. "Right now, the systems aren't working."
    Experts said that if Healthcare.gov's success rate doesn't improve within the next month or so, federal officials could face a situation in January in which relatively large numbers of people believe they have coverage starting that month, but whose enrollment applications are have not been processed.
    lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The exchanges are kludges, another instance of "free market" "for profit" health insurance Kludgeocracy, but Kludgeocracy is what corporate America does best, inefficient for clients, expensive (for the kludge victims), ty products.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a direct result of Repugs sabotaging ACA:

Obamacare meets extra resistance in Oklahoma

Hurdles including a scarcity of accurate information about the Affordable Care Act have left many Oklahomans in underserved rural areas like Choctaw County confused about whether to sign up.

"They say it's affordable, but when you ain't got no money, nothing's affordable," said 55-year-old Paul Bush of Midwest City, who accompanied his sister to a clinic for care last week. While he supports efforts in Congress to kill the program — "Heck yeah," he said — he wasn't happy about Fallin's decision to reject the Medicaid expansion: "The state could really have used the money."

Bush's sister, Teresa Springer, might have qualified for care under a Medicaid expansion, but she supported Fallin's decision. ( can't do much about masochistic ignorance like that! )

Springer, who has applied for disability assistance, said she worried that fines related to the healthcare law would cut into her disability checks at the same time that some Republicans in Congress were talking about cutting food stamps.

"That's all I have," she said after a visit to the Mary Mahoney Memorial Health Center in Spencer, Okla. "I'm going to either pay my bills or not eat." The law, she added, "is hurting everybody."

(no, your willful or duped ignorance is hurting yourself)

In a back office at the clinic, Debbie Haller shakes her head when she hears those kinds of misconceptions about the law. It will fall to counselors like Haller, the clinic's development coordinator, to clear up the facts about fines and eligibility.

In Springer's case, she may qualify for federal tax credit subsidies, which are available to individuals earning less than $46,000 annually and families earning less than $94,000. If she cannot afford coverage because the premium is more than 8% of income, she would be exempt from any fine.

But those are complicated concepts to explain to the population served by the Mary Mahoney clinic, which is part of a network of seven clinics statewide that is known as Community Health Centers Inc. Haller noted that a sizable portion of patients they serve could not read or write. ( Oklahoma! )

"A lot of them don't see the benefit," she said in an interview. "People here are among the unhealthiest in the nation. The need is there … but the only thing that has been in the paper is negative."

Leaders in the two consortiums that received federal money for a public education campaign in Oklahoma were still in the early phase of training as residents became eligible to sign up for insurance this week.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...3.story?page=2

repeat ad nauseam in all the red states, no doubt

Thread Information