Page 46 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1846
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    next tell me that a Repug President of this era would sign the Emancipation Proclamation

And that today's Repugs would have passed Medicare, Medicaid, VRA, etc of the 1960s over the objections of the (Confederate racist) Dems

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Keep on moving those posts, little fella.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    No answer to the criteria used in your cite? Not surprising.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WSJ Editors To Conservatives: Stop Acting Crazy Over Obamacare

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/wsj-editorial-conservatives-obamacare?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&ut m_campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

Hey Repugs, gun fellators, bubbas, patriots, racists, old white pissed off patriot men, rednecks, inbreds, it's OVA. y'all lost!

the foreigner Muslim Terrorist slapped all y'all, made humanitarian PROGRESS for America

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ....and the moonbat cut and paste. Right on schedule.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ....and the moonbat cut and paste. Right on schedule.
    TB nothing to say

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ACA is working, people who have been living with disease, diasbility, no insurance, pain are getting health care.

Study Finds Sicklier Enrollees in Earliest Stage of Health Law

People who signed up early for insurance through the new marketplaces were more likely to be prescribed drugs to treat pain, depression and H.I.V. and were less likely to need contraceptives, according to a new study that provides a much-anticipated look at the population that signed up for coverage under the new health care law.

The health of those who enrolled in new coverage is being closely watched because many observers have questioned whether the new marketplaces would attract a large share of sick people, which could lead to higher premiums and ultimately doom the new law.

The study, to be released Wednesday by the major pharmacy-benefits manager Express Scripts, suggests that early enrollees face more serious health problems and are older than those covered by their employers. The study also showed a higher use of specialty drugs, which are often used to treat diseases like cancer and rheumatoid arthritis; the use of such drugs could hint at more costly medical problems.

Over all, early users of marketplace plans appeared to be filling prescriptions for drugs at rates similar to people with coverage through their employers. Another pharmacy-benefit manager, Prime Therapeutics, said it was seeing slightly higher rates of prescription-drug use among its marketplace customers.

“I think this gets under the hood of not only who is enrolling, but what kind of health care challenges do they have,” said Karen M. Ignagni, president of America’s Health Insurance Plans, which represents insurers. “Pharmacy claims are often an indicator for medical claims, and it’s often the case that they provide a real insight into overall trends.”

Still, she and others cautioned that it was too early to properly evaluate the health of those who were signing up. The study by Express Scripts looked at a sample of 650,000 consumers who received coverage in January and February and did not capture information about those who signed up closer to the enrollment deadline. Insurers have said anecdotally that those who signed up later tended to be younger and were presumably healthier.

“The medication is only the tip of the iceberg,” said Daniel N. Mendelson, chief executive of the consulting firm Avalere Health. “What goes along with that is a need for physician visits and, often, hospitalizations associated with complications from the conditions.”
    In addition to finding increased use of drugs to treat pain, seizures and depression, the study also found that 6 in every 1,000 prescriptions in the marketplace plans were for drugs that treat H.I.V., a number that was nearly four times the figure among those with employer coverage.

insurers weren’t necessarily looking for a healthy population, but for reassurance that their guesses were correct about those who signed up. He said many insurers set premiums based on expectations that the newly covered would have different health needs.

“The plans knew what they were getting into,” he said. “They understood that this population was going to look really different.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/09...?from=homepage

of course, red state people will remain without health care, in sickness, chronic pain, disability, and death, but that's Repug death panels for ya.

How's them "death spirals" working out for ya?

Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-09-2014 at 09:51 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    boutons nothing to say

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nearly 4 Million Seriously Mentally Ill Still Without Insurance

The 24 states that refused the Medicaid expansion have nearly 4 million people with severe mental illness without insurance.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/nearly-4-million-seriously-mentally-ill-still-without-insurance?akid=11695.187590.BGHpDp&rd=1&src=newsle tter979436&t=13

but one ST right-wing gun fellator thinks it better that the cops SWAT teams shoot these 4M rather than help them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama Won the Obamacare War, But the GOP Won’t Concede

Six months ago, the Obamacare insurance exchanges began their official rollout with a government shutdown and a protracted website failure. Yesterday, the president announced that the Affordable Care Act's open-enrollment period had exceeded its goals, with at least 7.1 million Americans signing up. Obamacare has been the single most divisive issue in American politics since it was signed into law in March 2010. Is that period coming to an end? And has the president won?

It will not stop being a political issue until the end of the midterms, of course, because the Republicans have no other issue to run on this year — and Obamacare-bashing, like Obama-bashing in general, revs up its base.

And the GOP will do well in the midterms, too — not because of the Affordable Care Act, per se, but because the Republican base (white, male, old) turns up in off-year elections and much of the Democratic base (the new America that is inexorably supplanting the GOP base) hibernates until presidential election years.

After the midterms, Obamacare will be vastly diminished as a political issue except on the hard right, which, after all, still doesn’t like that government “health-care takeover” called Medicare either. (The new Paul Ryan budget released this week, among its other indignities, calls for replacing Medicare with a voucher system that would destroy it.)

Even now the ACA isn’t wildly unpopular — the country is split 49/48 in its favor according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll — and it will gain in popularity as it takes root among those Americans who needed it and now have it.

In that important sense — as policy, not politics — the president may well have won, though we won’t know for sure for several years.

Meanwhile, it’s fascinating to see how those on the right are trying to deal with defeat by yet again trying to dispute hard statistics — claiming that the 7.1 million enrollment number is a fraud.

(Actually, the real number is higher, maybe as high as 10 million in some estimates, because some who signed up for Obamacare did so directly through insurers, not through the often-troubled government exchanges.)

Fox News even ran a graphic
    that used an outdated figure for enrollments, and visually portrayed the sign-up rate (in a bar chart) as about one-third of what it actually was.

This is the same kind of
    magical thinking that made conservative pundits attack Nate Silver during the 2012 election and talk themselves into believing that Romney was going to win.

We can only hope that Karl Rove will have another breakdown on television when he faces the reality that Obamacare has won over a significant segment of the electorate just as surely as Obama took Ohio on Election Night.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...acare-war.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OPEN WIDE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bouton's liberal parents must have beat the out of him growing up tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RAND Comes Clean: Obamacare's Exchanges Enrolled Only 1.4 Million Previously Uninsured Individuals -- more -->>

Last week, I wrote about an article in the Los Angeles Times, on a then-as-yet unpublished report from the RAND Corporation. The report indicated that only one-third of Obamacare’s purported 7.1 million exchange sign-ups were from the previously uninsured. But Noam Levey, the author of the Times article, didn’t disclose RAND’s actual findings as to the actual number of previously uninsured exchange enrollees. Well, now we know why. RAND published the full report yesterday; it indicates that Obamacare’s exchanges only enrolled 1.4 million previously uninsured individuals. -- more -->>
    Will the Obama Administration Come To Regret Today's Obamacare Enrollment Announcement? -->>

What happens when it becomes clear that the Obamacare insurance exchanges are making hardly a dent in the number of those uninsured?

Yesterday, the Los Angeles Times reported that the non-profit Rand Corporation estimated that two-thirds of the first six million people to enroll in Obamacare were previously insured––only two million were previously uninsured.

If all of the one million people who signed up in the last week were previously uninsured, that would mean that only three million previously uninsured people have purchased coverage in the government-run exchanges.

By celebrating seven million enrollments, the administration has set some pretty high expectations: That Obamacare is making a huge dent in the number of those who were uninsured.

But it would appear that is not the case and they will have to manage a steady flow of hard data that will undermine today's celebration––in an election-year. -- more -->>

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Rand talk about the (diseased, pain-ridden, denied) Ms who now have access to health care with the expansion of Medicaid?

Did Rand talk about the Ms who bought insurance directly from insurers without buying through the exchanges?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repug governance, wealth transfer from taxpayers to corporations:
    Obama and the Dems cave on cuts to Medicare Advantage, with measurable results for deficit reduction.

Democrats may be feeling better about the politics of the Affordable Care Act, but the legislation is complex enough that political dangers lurk around every corner, and constant vigilance is required to forestall the next attack. So the administration has announced that the cuts to Medicare Advantage that were scheduled to take place starting next year will not go forward; instead, the program will actually get an increase in payments.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dvantage-cuts/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama and the Dems cave on cuts to Medicare Advantage, with measurable results for deficit reduction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dvantage-cuts/
    The insurance companies sucking down $100Bs in REPUGS' Medicare Advantage wealth transfer make the policies for politicians to enact and maintain. yawn

Stopping such a wealth transfer is nearly impossible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama and the Dems clearly had no intention of stopping it. in fact, they've just extended it. don't they get partial credit now, for flip-flopping on the cuts?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Did Rand talk about the (diseased, pain-ridden, denied) Ms who now have access to health care with the expansion of Medicaid?

Did Rand talk about the Ms who bought insurance directly from insurers without buying through the exchanges?
    Yes.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Obama and the Dems clearly had no intention of stopping it. in fact, they've just extended it. don't they get partial credit now, for flip-flopping on the cuts?
    Yup. They have taken possession.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corporate money owns ALL politicians, and they're especially possessive in an election year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in other words, yes. calling Medicare Advantage a REPUG policy at this point is dishonest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in other words, yes. calling Medicare Advantage a REPUG policy at this point is dishonest.
    absolutely not. Once this , like Iraq and Aghanistan , get started, it's effectively impossible to stop.

Repugs CREATED Advantage, along with unfunded Medicare Part D, and the REGULATION that govt cannot negotiate prices as single-buyer with drug/device suppliers, so the REpug own their , and now the Advantage corps own the politicians to keep it going.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From 3rd World Arkansas

Obamacare Headline in Rural Arkansas

In a real life example of how Obamacare is changing everything, our local newspaper ran an article about the closing of the 9th Street Ministry Medical Clinic.

"It was announced last week that 9th Street Ministries will be concluding their medical clinic mission, which had been ongoing monthly to offer free medical services to those in need since first starting in 1998. The final day for the medical clinic will be Thursday, April 24, and that will conclude the mission that has been in place for almost 16 years."

The article tells how the ministry has been operating once a month for years to give people healthcare on a first come, first served basis. This care was provided by volunteers.

My mother actually volunteered at the clinic and they would see as many as 300 a day. Many of these people would wait all day for the chance to see a doctor. Most of the patients were people who could not afford to see a doctor, but were not eligible for medicaid or medicare. Why would they close this clinic down?

"We’ve gone from seeing around 300 people a month on a regular basis, but as people were enrolling in Obamacare, the numbers we were seeing have dropped. We were down to 80 people that came through the medical clinic in February, all the way down to three people at the medical clinic in March. Our services won’t be needed anymore, and this will conclude our mission.”

We live in one of the most conservative places in Arkansas. The Repub's want to tell those people that once a month waiting all day for a chance to see a doctor was good enough. Thankfully, President Obama did not think so.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.menastar.com/

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...s?detail=email

Eat , Repugs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess who got Obamacare money? Of course it's the Kochs!

Here's a fun question, posed by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

"If the Affordable Care Act is so awful," Reid asked, "why did Koch Industries use it to their advantage?"

That's a rhetorical question, by the way. The answer is because they could get a big ol' chunk of money from the federal government, that's why. Congress created a $5 billion temporary reinsurance fund in the Affordable Care Act, to subsidize the cost to employers for providing ongoing coverage for people who retire before Medicare eligibility. The Kochs, of course, took a chunk of that.

The Early Retiree Reinsurance Program, Reid said, "helped the company pay health insurance costs for its retirees who are not covered by Medicare." Reid asked sarcastically: "So it's OK for Koch Industries to save money through Obamacare" even as Koch-related groups seek the law's repeal. […]
    Federal records show that Koch Industries received $1.4 million in early retiree subsidies. That's considerably less than the sums many other employers received. A Koch Industries spokesman said he had no comment on Reid's latest criticisms.
    Other companies did receive a lot more:

UPS got $37 million;

Union Pacific $9.7 million;

Altria Client Services nearly $11 million; and

AT&T $213 million.

All of those companies donate more heavily to Republicans, but none of these companies have made it their mission to kill Obamacare. That makes the Kochs a special case. But very typically Republican.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...s?detail=email

"
    none of these companies have made it their mission to kill Obamacare" hmm, I dunno. they could contribute dark money to eg US CoC, ALEC, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    absolutely not. Once this , like Iraq and Aghanistan , get started, it's effectively impossible to stop.

Repugs CREATED Advantage, along with unfunded Medicare Part D, and the REGULATION that govt cannot negotiate prices as single-buyer with drug/device suppliers, so the REpug own their , and now the Advantage corps own the politicians to keep it going.
    The democrats doubled down on it. Deal with it.

Thread Information