I'll see it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOLAZERS

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only King Kong has ever interested me when it comes to the gigantic monster thing. As we all know the original Godzilla was bad. More into Dracula, Frankenstein etc etc, things not so far far out there.
    Lmao, so a vampire who shape shifts into a bat, or a humanoid zombie created in a lab that was electrocuted to life are not "out there" to you?
    Last edited by DJR210; 05-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    So did anybody see it last night? Thoughts?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    So did anybody see it last night? Thoughts?
    Saying that it was better than Broderickzilla is an understatement. If you're not well-versed in the original Godzilla movies, then you might mistake the meandering beginning as a purposeful way of meaning the movie isn't all that good. It is setting up the discovery of Godzilla and while this movie isn't going to have the academy knocking down doors, it does a good job of building its momentum. Godzilla is in it more than 10 mins but definitely I think if they had him in the first part of the movie more than a shadowy figure, it might've been the best Godzilla movie since, well, since ever. In fact, I think as movies go that are fun--this is one of those. It has its moment where the human characters are a bit much or they lack what seems real emotion. The battles between the Muto and Godzilla were great. It was like the 50s-60s versions where it was a free-for-all and they pretty much wrecked San Francisco. If you're expecting Coen brothers level of directing you won't find it. If you're an aficionado like me; you will love this movie. I grew up with Godzilla so I know that the originals weren't higher than B grade sci-fi entertainment. Gareth Emery does the reboot justice and it is pretty good once the momentum picks up. If the start gives a little more depth to the Muto and Cranston explains it in a little more detail and there is a little more build up involving Gojira, then this movie would be closer to a 10 on Gemini Method's scale. I give it an 8/10.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Saying that it was better than Broderickzilla is an understatement. If you're not well-versed in the original Godzilla movies, then you might mistake the meandering beginning as a purposeful way of meaning the movie isn't all that good. It is setting up the discovery of Godzilla and while this movie isn't going to have the academy knocking down doors, it does a good job of building its momentum. Godzilla is in it more than 10 mins but definitely I think if they had him in the first part of the movie more than a shadowy figure, it might've been the best Godzilla movie since, well, since ever. In fact, I think as movies go that are fun--this is one of those. It has its moment where the human characters are a bit much or they lack what seems real emotion. The battles between the Muto and Godzilla were great. It was like the 50s-60s versions where it was a free-for-all and they pretty much wrecked San Francisco. If you're expecting Coen brothers level of directing you won't find it. If you're an aficionado like me; you will love this movie. I grew up with Godzilla so I know that the originals weren't higher than B grade sci-fi entertainment. Gareth Emery does the reboot justice and it is pretty good once the momentum picks up. If the start gives a little more depth to the Muto and Cranston explains it in a little more detail and there is a little more build up involving Gojira, then this movie would be closer to a 10 on Gemini Method's scale. I give it an 8/10.
    Good to hear. The Blazer forum speaks highly of the movie as well. I think I will see it this weekend. Do you think it's worth seeing at the IMAX?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Good to hear. The Blazer forum speaks highly of the movie as well. I think I will see it this weekend. Do you think it's worth seeing at the IMAX?
    Imax would be awesome to see it on--3D I hear from my one friend who is as big a Godzilla buff as I am, no...They did a good job with the scale and even if it isn't an actor in a latex suit, it still has the overall Godzilla feel from the Toho days.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I heard that Godzilla shows up only after 1 hour

Is that true?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I heard that Godzilla shows up only after 1 hour

Is that true?
    Sort of--they allude to Godzilla for most of the first half of the movie. They develop the Muto throughout the first half and the 2nd half is about Godzilla hunting the Muto. I don't think you can make a movie without the human element and expect to make a return on your finances. So they had to build that plot element. It is slow at first but the 2nd half of the movie is awesome. Again, don't expect acting like you would in 12 Years a Slave--this isn't that type of movie--check it out for yourself. I hear, though, the 3D is not worth it. But I liked it and enjoyed it... a previews though because they were trying to completely jam the theatre with patrons. I am a Godzilla fan from my youth and the marathons they showed in the 90's during Thanksgiving and NYE were awesome. I was surprised to hear the 19-20year olds saying the movie was good. Since they weren't around when Godzilla was talked about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Saw it last night, thought it was great. Better than that ty NY version by far.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    So is Blue Oyster Cult on the soundtrack?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sort of--they allude to Godzilla for most of the first half of the movie. They develop the Muto throughout the first half and the 2nd half is about Godzilla hunting the Muto. I don't think you can make a movie without the human element and expect to make a return on your finances. So they had to build that plot element. It is slow at first but the 2nd half of the movie is awesome. Again, don't expect acting like you would in 12 Years a Slave--this isn't that type of movie--check it out for yourself. I hear, though, the 3D is not worth it. But I liked it and enjoyed it... a previews though because they were trying to completely jam the theatre with patrons. I am a Godzilla fan from my youth and the marathons they showed in the 90's during Thanksgiving and NYE were awesome. I was surprised to hear the 19-20year olds saying the movie was good. Since they weren't around when Godzilla was talked about.
    Developed
    Plot

Every aspect of the movie was . Every character was a ing moron. Poorly written, bad script, absolutely no attention to detail. Characters made the Prometheus crew seem like geniuses.

Advice to everyone: Wait for youtube to compile a 15 minute video of Godzilla's entire airtime. That way you can skip out on the horribleness and see the pretty CGI. The original trailer was better than the movie. We've mastered the art of marketing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Something about a movie with the main le character only being in it for a fraction of the time seems dumb to me. Thanks for the heads up as I'll wait for a TS/Webrip version to be released I guess.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Developed
    Plot

Every aspect of the movie was . Every character was a ing moron. Poorly written, bad script, absolutely no attention to detail. Characters made the Prometheus crew seem like geniuses.

Advice to everyone: Wait for youtube to compile a 15 minute video of Godzilla's entire airtime. That way you can skip out on the horribleness and see the pretty CGI. The original trailer was better than the movie. We've mastered the art of marketing.
    Well, it can still only be a Godzilla movie. Cranston deserves a good payday.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Reminds me of some M Night Sham film where the entire show is a tease for what's never really shown.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, it can still only be a Godzilla movie. Cranston deserves a good payday.
    He does for sure. I'll put this spoiler in white text underneath, in case other people still want to see it the movie.

Canston is in the movie for the first quarter.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I thought it was pretty damn good. 10000000x times better than the released in the 90's. Just got back from watching it, and I gotta say...I like how they slowly built Godzilla up and didn't just show him 5 mins into it and have him out there for the rest of the movie. The build up makes the middle to the end of the flick that much more exciting...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    BAD :

Didn't like the intro. Resembled the 98 version way too much and the 98 intro was actually cooler tbh.

The main character and his wife were pretty cliche and there was too much emphasis on him throughout.

Here's a question. If there's an EMP does just randomly turn back on? How about an entire city?

That Inception WWWWWOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA sound was completely overdone. Every time the camera panned to show a monster or a monster slowly appeared.

The smooching scene with the MUTOs was awkward as and the little E.T. connection the main character had with Godzilla after the building fell on him was lame as and reminded me of Matthew Brodderick at the end when Godzilla gets trapped on the Brooklyn Bridge

GOOD :

The first big reveal of Godzilla was cool as as well as the quick shots of them fighting on the news right after. Pretty creative imo.

The HALO jump scene was easily the highlight. Absolutely badass with the silhouettes fighting and him going right by Godzilla's head. It exceeded my expectations from the trailer.

The fire breath was PERFECT. The wait, the es lighting up (which I forgot about), and the actual flame itself. It was in my mind the entire fight.

Both MUTO deaths were damn satisfying. The tail KO and the down-the-throat fire.

The end was good for what it was. I guess it's kind of refreshing seeing a movie not end in tragedy but I was really hoping that they'd tease something, anything, for potential future projects. I wanna see some ing King Ghidora or something

also, the Jap's assistant lady was super uniquely sexy tbh and Cranston's wife would've been too if she had some hair. Her character in The English Patient is my biggest movie crush ever

Heard this has like 10 mins of Godzilla. Pass.
    Wrong

Something about a movie with the main le character only being in it for a fraction of the time seems dumb to me. Thanks for the heads up as I'll wait for a TS/Webrip version to be released I guess.
    Far more than a fraction.

Reminds me of some M Night Sham film where the entire show is a tease for what's never really shown.
    what were you waiting for in Godzilla that never came?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Since when the is "kaiju" a common term? I've seen it everywhere and I had to look it up. We're not in ing Japan, just say monster
    The next time someone nukes the out of America, we get to name the related movie monsters.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Wrong

Far more than a fraction.

what were you waiting for in Godzilla that never came?
    yes, it was a fraction. The movie plot and script were written by a 7 year old. When I realized this, 15 minutes in, I figured that the monsters might be cool to see.

I had to painfully wait for that heavy-CGI-cool- Godzilla scene. Not a 5 second tease or a far off shot of him.... an actual appearance. After you get tired of laughing at how stupid it is for a kaiju to sneak up on someone (multiple times), the movie is boring.

It's weird to me that people are trying to appreciate the slow build up too. I'll bring up Taxi Driver here. Not to compare a masterpiece to Godzilla... but in reference to a "build up." TD establishes plot/character... meaningful happens. In Godzilla, you sit watching the dumbest, most poorly written characters imaginable existing in a largely plot-less setting for 80% of the movie. None of that eighty percent builds into anything meaningful. If you cut all the bs out, this ends up being a 30 minute episode tbh

Yeah, the death blows were badass... I payed 15 dollars to watch two "cool" moments. I expected to get Pacific Rim at the very least. The halo jump scene in the trailer tricked me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Saw it in IMAX and thought it was great tbh, definitely what I expected.

Biggest complaints I've heard so far are:
    a) Lack of Godzilla
    b) ty characters

I agree with b but disagree with a. I thought the characters outside of Cranston were dull and did nothing to add to the film, though some of the non-Godzilla scenes were dope as (halo jump, train scene).

As far as the lack of Godzilla, there's really only so much he can do. He's not Batman, and I can only watch so much of Godzilla destroying a city or fighting another monster. I thought the Godzilla scenes were really well done, even the teaser parts. Plus, the final battle and finishing moves were well worth the lack of Godzilla throughout the movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Gonna see at the IMAX in a few minutes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Just got out. Excellent. 8.5/10