Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leemajors had a good post above recommending prebuilts. Duh I completely forgot that since for so long building your own system was a far better solution. But today it's not so bad. I saw a CyberpowerPC system on amazon for $800 that has a last gen i5, AMD RX 580, and 8GB DDR4 RAM with a 1TB HDD and a legit Windows license for $800. My build I posted above was assuming you'd pirate Windows.

I think RGB lighting is ugly as , but this ain't bad for $780.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-.../dp/B0747W15QL

EDIT: Crap, I forgot you already bought a case
    I was thinking about canceling the order of my case yesterday night but it was too late; it was already in the "packaging" stage of my order lol. It's fine though I guess.

I forgot about the Windows license bull . Pirating that is such a pain in the ass.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking about canceling the order of my case yesterday night but it was too late; it was already in the "packaging" stage of my order lol. It's fine though I guess.

I forgot about the Windows license bull . Pirating that is such a pain in the ass.
    Well AMD is effectively when buying gpus by themselves, since the RX 470/480/570/580 are enormously overpriced as they're great mining cards and since the high end AMD cards (Vega 56, Vega 64, and Vega Frontier Edition) legitimately are crap compared to Nvidia when it comes to gaming.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

https://www.g2deal.com/windows-10-pr...32-64-bit.html

$12.68, I got my brother a key there a few months ago, works fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.g2deal.com/windows-10-pr...32-64-bit.html

$12.68, I got my brother a key there a few months ago, works fine.
    Pirating is pretty easy though, and Microsoft considers you a pirate anyways if you use a key from a reseller instead of a legit Windows license from an authorized seller. Since MS publishes SHA-1 hashes for all their isos it's pretty easy to tell if the iso you downloaded from say PirateBay is legit or if it's altered in some way by computing the SHA-1 hash on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazon is where I go now since the no tax was literally the only advantage newegg offered.

Sucks, I had no idea they were bought out.. I haven't ordered anything from them for quite a while, so I'm glad you said they're garbage now because I wouldn't have known.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey guys looks like cryptocoin mining has crash, and prices of certain GPUs have gone down in price near rrp

but lol those miners trying to offload their stock of gpus used for mining...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just installed a 600W EVGA power supply. My first time installing one and it was much easier than I thought it would be except for the motherboard cable. Back on the computer for now - going to run Battlefield 4 to stress test. Originally the computer would shut down after playing BF4 and blowing up in the little bird.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just installed a 600W EVGA power supply. My first time installing one and it was much easier than I thought it would be except for the motherboard cable. Back on the computer for now - going to run Battlefield 4 to stress test. Originally the computer would shut down after playing BF4 and blowing up in the little bird.
    Remember the Little Birds!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just upgraded the office PC to a i9-7940x... been doing some heavy 3D/AI stuff...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember the Little Birds!
    I prefer the SU-50 if I can get my hands on it. Best jet in the game and I think I'm still ranked 5th in Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not tech savy and have never built a computer, but damn I want to try it

Maybe I'll learn a few things along the way, then I will start developing .... dammit hopefully I will build an Iron Man suit running on Jarvis 2.0
    Did you ever try it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you ever try it?
    Would you go 9700k or 8700k? What about the best i5 for either series? I'm gonna treat myself and upgrade my PC's brains, but I'm not sure which one I would go with.. I've read people complaining that the 9th gen is hotter, requires 2400+mhz RAM, and some other .. what do you know about all that ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you go 9700k or 8700k? What about the best i5 for either series? I'm gonna treat myself and upgrade my PC's brains, but I'm not sure which one I would go with.. I've read people complaining that the 9th gen is hotter, requires 2400+mhz RAM, and some other .. what do you know about all that ?
    For an extra $50 you get 2 more cores/4 threads, the 9700k over 8700k is a no brainier, IMO, but it's been out of stock here or there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I'd wait to hear what the PS5 and XBox Whatever have in them because most PC releases are going to be rushed ports of console games. We don't know if the cpus in the next consoles will go for lots of threads at low clocks like PS4/XB1 did or if they'll be higher IPC chips at higher clocks now that Ryzen 2 looks possible. If they're Ryzen 2 I can't see any way they'd go say 8c/16t because of the cost.

These days I would never buy RAM slower than DDR4-3000. Especially since you'll be gaming on a high refresh rate panel. RAM speed can really matter in some games when you're cpu limited, which you will be if you do a gpu upgrade to start playing new games at 100+ fps. When I went from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-2400 my minimums in Fallout 4 went up like 15% to the point I almost never dropped under 60 fps. My minimums in GTA V (another game very cpu bound on my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 system at 1080p) went up a solid 10% also with the upgrade to DDR3-2400. I know it used to be PCMR religion that RAM speed doesn't matter, but it really can in many games when cpu limited. Witcher 3 is another game that is supposed to have huge gains in performance from RAM speed.

It kind of sucks they got rid of hyperthreading in the i7-9700k so now it's an 8c/8t cpu instead of the 8c/16t you would expect after the i7-8700k is 6c/12t, everything from i7-2600k to i7-7700k is 4c/8t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For an extra $50 you get 2 more cores/4 threads, the 9700k over 8700k is a no brainier, IMO, but it's been out of stock here or there.
    9700k doesn't have hyperthreading. You get two more cores and 4 less threads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gotta say I'm eyeing the RTX 2060 so I can get back into playing PC games with maxed, but I keep seeing these rumors of a Turing GTX 1660 Ti without all the raytracing crap I don't give two s about. I mean raytracing will eventually be incredible but I have no interest in it right now when you can't keep 60 fps at 1080p with it on even in Battlefield V (and Battlefield games are usually pretty light on the gpu).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that's ing bull . Being an i7 I thought they did, but you're right. Is that the first ever i7 w/o HT?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but if what I hear about having to buy a specific type of RAM is true that 50 just became much higher..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I'd wait to hear what the PS5 and XBox Whatever have in them because most PC releases are going to be rushed ports of console games. We don't know if the cpus in the next consoles will go for lots of threads at low clocks like PS4/XB1 did or if they'll be higher IPC chips at higher clocks now that Ryzen 2 looks possible. If they're Ryzen 2 I can't see any way they'd go say 8c/16t because of the cost.

These days I would never buy RAM slower than DDR4-3000. Especially since you'll be gaming on a high refresh rate panel. RAM speed can really matter in some games when you're cpu limited, which you will be if you do a gpu upgrade to start playing new games at 100+ fps. When I went from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-2400 my minimums in Fallout 4 went up like 15% to the point I almost never dropped under 60 fps. My minimums in GTA V (another game very cpu bound on my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 system at 1080p) went up a solid 10% also with the upgrade to DDR3-2400. I know it used to be PCMR religion that RAM speed doesn't matter, but it really can in many games when cpu limited. Witcher 3 is another game that is supposed to have huge gains in performance from RAM speed.

It kind of sucks they got rid of hyperthreading in the i7-9700k so now it's an 8c/8t cpu instead of the 8c/16t you would expect after the i7-8700k is 6c/12t, everything from i7-2600k to i7-7700k is 4c/8t.
    I don't want to wait tbh because my 3570k is limiting the outta me on CPU heavy games and if I wait some crisis or some will popup and i wont be able off 5 bills or so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gotta say I'm eyeing the RTX 2060 so I can get back into playing PC games with maxed, but I keep seeing these rumors of a Turing GTX 1660 Ti without all the raytracing crap I don't give two s about. I mean raytracing will eventually be incredible but I have no interest in it right now when you can't keep 60 fps at 1080p with it on even in Battlefield V (and Battlefield games are usually pretty light on the gpu).
    I thought I read that the 1660 Ti was the mist affordable way to experience Ray Tracing not skip it..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in review.. 9700k or 8700k?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I read that the 1660 Ti was the mist affordable way to experience Ray Tracing not skip it..
    1660 Ti is supposed to be a GTX card, not an RTX one. That is if Videocardz didn't just make that up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but if what I hear about having to buy a specific type of RAM is true that 50 just became much higher..
    DDR4-2400 is really slow RAM by today's standards. You can probably run DDR4-2400 but what's the point of cheaping out on that when you're buying a killer i7?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want to wait tbh because my 3570k is limiting the outta me on CPU heavy games and if I wait some crisis or some will popup and i wont be able off 5 bills or so
    You playing Battlefield V? I saw lots of people complain about cpu bottleneck with i5 in BF1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in review.. 9700k or 8700k?
    I'd probably go 9700k but I don't know a lot about how they overclock. You could find yourself in the same situation again like with your 3570k though if the consoles turn out to have weak IPC, low clockspeed 8c/16t cpus that necessitate spreading load across 16 threads to work worth a crap. Rumors seem to suggest Zen 2 in the consoles though, which would mean good clocks and good IPC, and thus probably not 16 thread cpus since how the would you do that in a $500 or less system?

Thread Information