Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he keeps pulling in his averages or more along with giving Jim 15 or so mins of rest, then he's easily worth the $2 million. He's gonna have bad nights where he has turnovers or misses shots or whatever but he's not Duncan, so there's no point in expecting him to be. What's also worth the $2 million is watching Errors' ball licker flail about night in and night out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh reviewing how wrong people were regarding the Baynes 'negotiations' underselling him.

Anywho Baynes is playing better and better.

Tony, Manu, and Boris are finding Baynes much in the manner that Oberto made his living from right at the rim. He is a good passer and Pop called on him to run a triangle look out of a set play with him in the high post, Bobo in the wing, and Leonard on the baseline where Baynes found him cutting inside for and easy dunk.

More importantly he more and more appears to be owning the offense and his role in it. He no longer looks confused as he moves around down low, into the post high or low, into horns, or for the pnr out on the wing or up top. He moves from spot to spot concentrating at the task at hand moreso than figuring out what task he is trying to accomplish like he used to.

He sets excellent screens that scrape defenders off Manu, Parker, and Cojo. Smaller guys like Jack and Williams are routinely taken out of the play entirely forcing immediate rotations for the defense. A guy like Manu feasts on that and Parker can just get to the rim. He takes pride in this task he likes to bang and grind. He will slip screens if guys get caught under him and try to take people for a ride. He leans, pushes, hipshchecks, shivers, and otherwise imposes his will onto passing bigs. His owning of the offense sees him on the lookout for such opportunities.

The next step in his evolution are finding the spots on the floor where he is finding himself open most often and practicing the out of a jumper from there.

His rebounding is limited by his hands which at this point can at best be described as average. He doesn't have the manual dexterity and large hands of Leonard and Duncan to tip the ball to himself as they do, so the ball will careen at times as he struggles to get a hand in. Some of this is due to him focusing on keeping a body on the oppositions top rebounders. He can be a bit overzealous yet he has improved noticeably in this area as he bangs then crashes the board fluidly instead of getting tied up despite inside position.

He sticks in his nose regularly on the offensive glass but much of those numbers are him gathering his own misses. He can finish with both hands but which hand and how to attack is still a work in progress. He has been shooting over 50% for the year to this point nevertheless.

Defensively is where he makes his greatest contributions. He was entirely too upright against the Kings a week or more ago and got roached on the pnr. He adjusted since with much better bend and he has been able to keep up with the lesser centers he has played. Cousins may be the best 5 in the league right now. He is now bending and sliding to do a much better job mirroring penetrators.

Most importantly, the man can use his size and length to protect the rim. The defense is designed to funnel penetration baseline and he more often than not is that weakside baseline rotation. He does a great job moving to each side of the key and up top outside the circle when they get middle. He forces a lot of bad shot as guys cannot get around him and I often find myself incredulous at low block totals on the stat sheet. He has fallen victim of foul calls seeing him going straight up and the offender creating the contact but for the most part he is not fouling on his rotations.

Overall he has settled into his role as the fourth big and getting 15-20 mins a night. In this role he contributes more than previous bigs particularly on the defensive end where Blair and Ayers have struggled to contribute. Pop is playing him in lineups with Parker, Manu, Leonard, Bobo, and now Duncan that are effective both offensively and defensively. His teammates are adjusting to him as he is to they and things are looking up for the Australian big man.
    excellent stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome content.

Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh reviewing how wrong people were regarding the Baynes 'negotiations' underselling him.

Anywho Baynes is playing better and better.

Tony, Manu, and Boris are finding Baynes much in the manner that Oberto made his living from right at the rim. He is a good passer and Pop called on him to run a triangle look out of a set play with him in the high post, Bobo in the wing, and Leonard on the baseline where Baynes found him cutting inside for and easy dunk.

More importantly he more and more appears to be owning the offense and his role in it. He no longer looks confused as he moves around down low, into the post high or low, into horns, or for the pnr out on the wing or up top. He moves from spot to spot concentrating at the task at hand moreso than figuring out what task he is trying to accomplish like he used to.

He sets excellent screens that scrape defenders off Manu, Parker, and Cojo. Smaller guys like Jack and Williams are routinely taken out of the play entirely forcing immediate rotations for the defense. A guy like Manu feasts on that and Parker can just get to the rim. He takes pride in this task he likes to bang and grind. He will slip screens if guys get caught under him and try to take people for a ride. He leans, pushes, hipshchecks, shivers, and otherwise imposes his will onto passing bigs. His owning of the offense sees him on the lookout for such opportunities.

The next step in his evolution are finding the spots on the floor where he is finding himself open most often and practicing the out of a jumper from there.

His rebounding is limited by his hands which at this point can at best be described as average. He doesn't have the manual dexterity and large hands of Leonard and Duncan to tip the ball to himself as they do, so the ball will careen at times as he struggles to get a hand in. Some of this is due to him focusing on keeping a body on the oppositions top rebounders. He can be a bit overzealous yet he has improved noticeably in this area as he bangs then crashes the board fluidly instead of getting tied up despite inside position.

He sticks in his nose regularly on the offensive glass but much of those numbers are him gathering his own misses. He can finish with both hands but which hand and how to attack is still a work in progress. He has been shooting over 50% for the year to this point nevertheless.

Defensively is where he makes his greatest contributions. He was entirely too upright against the Kings a week or more ago and got roached on the pnr. He adjusted since with much better bend and he has been able to keep up with the lesser centers he has played. Cousins may be the best 5 in the league right now. He is now bending and sliding to do a much better job mirroring penetrators.

Most importantly, the man can use his size and length to protect the rim. The defense is designed to funnel penetration baseline and he more often than not is that weakside baseline rotation. He does a great job moving to each side of the key and up top outside the circle when they get middle. He forces a lot of bad shot as guys cannot get around him and I often find myself incredulous at low block totals on the stat sheet. He has fallen victim of foul calls seeing him going straight up and the offender creating the contact but for the most part he is not fouling on his rotations.

Overall he has settled into his role as the fourth big and getting 15-20 mins a night. In this role he contributes more than previous bigs particularly on the defensive end where Blair and Ayers have struggled to contribute. Pop is playing him in lineups with Parker, Manu, Leonard, Bobo, and now Duncan that are effective both offensively and defensively. His teammates are adjusting to him as he is to they and things are looking up for the Australian big man.
    Extraordinarily well said.

Excellent analysis. Thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Spurs staff is working with AB on his excess fouling, how much are the Spurs investing him AB.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how much are the Spurs investing him AB.
    Well they paid him extra, so they'd like him not to suck. They need someone to step up and be the 4th big. You cannot ride Duncan all the time, they're supposed to be able to give him some extra rest during the regular season. The rest of the bigs have to stop being pussies and step up. If the guys on the team can't do it, then the Spurs need to find someone that can.

The Spurs need Splitter, but he just seems to get those nagging injuries which doesn't help at all.

I'm glad Baynes has stepped up a little bit. He's come a long way from a couple of weeks ago. He may not be great, but he's starting to help a little bit out there and not be a total liability like it looked like he was earlier in the season.
    Last edited by Ice009; 11-23-2014 at 06:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well they paid him extra, so they'd like him not to suck. They need someone to step up and be the 4th big. You cannot ride Duncan all the time, they're supposed to be able to give him some extra rest during the regular season. The rest of the bigs have to stop being pussies and step up. If the guys on the team can't do it, then the Spurs need to find someone that can.

The Spurs need Splitter, but he just seems to get those nagging injuries which doesn't help at all.

I'm glad Baynes has stepped up a little bit. He's come a long way from a couple of weeks ago. He may not be great, but he's starting to help a little bit out there and not be a total liability like it looked like he was earlier in the season.
    He had one bad game against the best 5 in the league. He can defend the rim and has been able to for some time. That is his money maker for all the ninnies waving at FG%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would also add that the way Popovich is playing Baynes seems to be what we are going with. He likes to keep rotations through injury so often you will see him start an end of the bench guy as opposed to changing the composition of the second unit and their rotations. We've seen Baynes be that guy and Bonner called to duty as well.

Playing him with Duncan against the Nets and having it work to the point that the Nyets went small to try and counter was a revelation. That was a very good defensive lineup for the 5 minutes it lasted.

Anywho, I do not see the 15-20 minutes Baynes has been getting reduced all too much when Splitter returns. I see those minutes coming out of Bobo and Duncan who both have played heavy minutes outside of garbage time with Splitter out. Tiago is likely to not see much more that 25 minutes a night for a long while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olynyk and Zeller are stiffs and he had little issue keeping up with the pnr and motion. He is getting very good at his defensive rotations, drawing charges, and overwhelming drives to the basket. He once again did not get credit for a block but he had Bradley toss up trash and allowed Leonard and Green to recover to block shots. He doesn't reach or extend anymore and is doing a much better job choosing his battles. He still is not getting any respect from the refs.

He sets some of the best picks in the NBA. While many other guys are much better on the move after, few are able to peel and flatten defenders as he can. He is doing a better and better job at sealing off help in space and running interference for ball handlers to trail. He got Danny Green a layup in transition that way. Cojo, Parker and Manu are routinely getting to the rim off Baynes pnr. They are also doing a better job getting him the ball and him finishing.

He is still rough playing horns and in the high post but they have now expanded the calls to include him there much more often; I expect this to improve much like the rest. He is also seeing a lot of minutes with Kawhi and they complement each other well. He clears out the chaff while Kawhi uses his better athleticism to secure the rebound. Cojo Manu Leonard Bobo Baynes seems to work well together.

I don't see Mills' return impeding much. If anything they have played together for years and have chemistry.

He still cannot hit a midrange jumper, needs to work on timing spacing and execution in the high post on both offense and defense as well as conditioning. He goes balls to the wall each and every of his 15-20 mins. Has improved markedly in shot selection, pnr defense and grasp of offensive system. Has been very good on defensive rotations, post defense and just generally being a physical presence on both sides of the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe I'm getting the faith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is doing a better and better job at sealing off help in space and running interference for ball handlers to trail. He got Danny Green a layup in transition that way.
    That was a very nice play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still cannot hit a midrange jumper, needs to work on timing spacing and execution in the high post on both offense and defense as well as conditioning.
    He hasn't tried it that much this year, maybe a few times; probably understands that he doesn't need it if he keeps getting passes in the paint. Besides, he doesn't need the midrange game if he's making lay ups and dropping bombs from downtown.

tbh his conditioning is made for his usual rotation with Jim so he goes balls out those mins. And since it's usually the end of a quarter and the beginning of the next, he has that in between time to rest. He played big mins in the 4th this afternoon because he was raping the Celtics in the mouth and Pop wanted Duncan to get rest for tomorrow. He'll probably never have the conditioning of Tim or Kawhi but that's fine. He is what he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He hasn't tried it that much this year, maybe a few times; probably understands that he doesn't need it if he keeps getting passes in the paint. Besides, he doesn't need the midrange game if he's making lay ups and dropping bombs from downtown.

tbh his conditioning is made for his usual rotation with Jim so he goes balls out those mins. And since it's usually the end of a quarter and the beginning of the next, he has that in between time to rest. He played big mins in the 4th this afternoon because he was raping the Celtics in the mouth and Pop wanted Duncan to get rest for tomorrow. He'll probably never have the conditioning of Tim or Kawhi but that's fine. He is what he is.
    I'm trying to look at it from the vantage of weaknesses most likely to improve. His stamina has improved. He used to only be able to go a few minutes before having to come out.

I also note them using him in the high post more and once they figure out where they want him out there, he can focus on a jumpshot. He is not the talent that can shoot from anywhere but from a few select areas I can see him being very good. His FT% indicates ability. He has literally only taken a few dozen jumpshots in his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to look at it from the vantage of weaknesses most likely to improve. His stamina has improved. He used to only be able to go a few minutes before having to come out.

I also note them using him in the high post more and once they figure out where they want him out there, he can focus on a jumpshot. He is not the talent that can shoot from anywhere but from a few select areas I can see him being very good. His FT% indicates ability. He has literally only taken a few dozen jumpshots in his career.
    Playing for Aus over the summer helped with that. Since he was their main guy, he was playing 30 mins a game, more or less.

I remember him shooting it more last season and he was just ok at it, nothing great. Then again, none of our bigs really have that midrange jumper anymore. Duncan used to but it's gone to the past couple seasons. I really don't see Pop having him shoot the ball outside of the paint and would be surprised if he did; plus shooting the ball would up his FG% this year, which is at 60%.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes I think has a very nice stroke it just it isn't needed which I am glad can't stand bigs who stand out and just throw up 3's. When Baynes shoots from the outside it looks like it might go in unlike Errors, Anderson, or Daye where they miss the entire basket he comes close and he hit his only 3 which he had good form on.

I love the fact that Manu started feeding Baynes when they started playing together and now you see Bobo and Parker starting to do the same....easy baskets..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes I think has a very nice stroke it just it isn't needed which I am glad can't stand bigs who stand out and just throw up 3's. When Baynes shoots from the outside it looks like it might go in unlike Errors, Anderson, or Daye where they miss the entire basket he comes close and he hit his only 3 which he had good form on.

I love the fact that Manu started feeding Baynes when they started playing together and now you see Bobo and Parker starting to do the same....easy baskets..
    I'll be ecstatic if Chip Engeland develops Baynes into a Kevin Love like shooter!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All loaded up tonight to pray at the church of Baynes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 points for church of Baynes. BOW DOWN AT THE ALTAR ES!

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when people said errors was better than baynes?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when people said errors was better than baynes?
    Really people said that? Well who ever said that needs their man card pulled and for the love of god don't have kids cause your ing up the Gene pool.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really people said that? Well who ever said that needs their man card pulled and for the love of god don't have kids cause your ing up the Gene pool.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is dat guy...I'm on the bandwagon...g'day, mate!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is a throwback to the old school where if you pick off or foul someone, you pick him or foul him hard. Seems like every game there's some poor bas rolling around on the floor from a foul or a hard pick.

I haven't seen that style of play on the Spurs since the Bruise Brothers of the 70s. Ya gotta love the Big Banger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is back to his 15-20 mpg these past couple of games. The shooting stroke he showed in the early part of the season has disappeared but he is doing much better on the glass. Utah was sending 2 and 3 guys to him to block him out which hampers any break. He managed to grab a few offensive boards amongst his 11 overall. He gets to the line at a good pace as well.

He is still fouling too much but in his slot who cares. I am curious to see how they call him in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was not going to comment on Baynes as I have observed his growing education as an NBA centre because in simple terms he has a lot to learn. He is raw. He needs a few more years to graduate and Spurs and fans need to be patient. His education as a centre is old style filling a lane and he should be used like Chicago used Longley. He is not a shooter. He is an enforcer with a limited shot range in the paint. Finally he is a genuinely nice guy off the court without an at ude like some.

Thread Information