Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Cr7 didn't win , Ribery won everything. The only trap for Ribery was WC qualifer and France went through it, it will be enough imho
    Ronaldo played better individually than Ribery, he should get it and after that playoffs leg against Sweeden I think he will get it.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Votes still open until 29th November. Ronaldo already said that he does NOT visit the Ballon d'or...
    "Messi won 4 straight and I'm still butthurt about it so I won't go to this event"

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Franck is still in the running for Christs sake.

I don't care...it's a pretty week year, considering both NTs had to go trough eliminations and Ronaldo didn't win anything (didn't check it....did he?).

It's like arguing if Kevin Love or Anthony Davis should get the MVP award.
    That's what happens when the God gets injured, tbh.

winning an individual award for team accomplishment sounds wrong tbh and if we go by that logic Sneijder should've won in 2010 when he won treble with Inter and got to World Cup final with Netherlands but he wasn't even in top 3 in voting

oh and Ribery is far from being the obvious best individual on that Bayern team, Robben, Lahm and Schweinsteiger are all legit candidates for that tbh
    This tbh

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    oh and Ribery is far from being the obvious best individual on that Bayern team, Robben, Lahm and Schweinsteiger are all legit candidates for that tbh
    Kind of disagree. While Lahm is playing a terrific 13/14 season, I don't think he was that great last season(doing his job well, but nothing special like this year). Schweinsteiger was a s of himself (injuries paved his way). Robben sat out a bunch of times and wasn't even a sure shot starter, when beeing healthy.

I get your point and Bayern may have had the best roster of all teams. But if you would ask any Bayern fan (and I'm not one of them), I think 99% would say Ribery is their most valuable player with 1% beeing shared between Lahn and Schweinsteiger (just because they are the guys representing the team in interviews and so on).

I'm all for someone else getting the trophy (would hate to see Bayern fans celebrating some worthless sh** like that), but if I had a vote, he would get it.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    winning an individual award for team accomplishment sounds wrong tbh and if we go by that logic Sneijder should've won in 2010 when he won treble with Inter and got to World Cup final with Netherlands but he wasn't even in top 3 in voting
    It may sounds wrong but this is the way this award works. During world cup, euro professional teams achievements are totally over shadowed by NT... 2010 being an exception due to lack of clear cut leader of the Spanish NT as pointed out by DAF and Messi was the dominant force so your Sneijder argument doesn't pass the cut.

this post shows you are not very familiar with the Bayern, mudyez explained it in his post, except for somebody who just look at the names those who followed know that Ribery was the clear best individual of this formidable squad.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Ronaldo played better individually than Ribery, he should get it and after that playoffs leg against Sweeden I think he will get it.
    BTW I don't disagree with that. Individually Ronaldo is the better player no doubt and you are right DAF I believe his hat trick against Sweeden is gonna count a lot in the voting nevertheless difficult for voters to ignore Real won during that stretch.

If this year follow the history / trend of the balon d'or they will give it to Ribery but an upset for Ribery is totally possible. I wouldn't be mad over it tbh even if Ronaldo being snobed again would be comedy gold

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    The guardian like a lot of newspapers are giving it to Cr7

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...world-cup-2014

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    some fans are still pushing for Zlatan:

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    It may sounds wrong but this is the way this award works. During world cup, euro professional teams achievements are totally over shadowed by NT... 2010 being an exception due to lack of clear cut leader of the Spanish NT as pointed out by DAF and Messi was the dominant force so your Sneijder argument doesn't pass the cut.
    This literally makes no sense, Sneijder did more on a club and NT level than Messi. only reason he got it was because after Iniesta and Xavi dropped out (reasons stated before) Messi was the last Barca player with any sort of argument to win it. Messi being dominant by winning La Liga isn't much of argument.

this post shows you are not very familiar with the Bayern, mudyez explained it in his post, except for somebody who just look at the names those who followed know that Ribery was the clear best individual of this formidable squad.
    Fair enough.

Anyway, my point is that this award is a joke, each year different reason is given for deciding the winner. Even if CR wins it this year which I think he should it won't change my opinion of it.
    Last edited by gnsf0946; 11-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    This literally makes no sense, Sneijder did more on a club and NT level than Messi. only reason he got it was because after Iniesta and Xavi dropped out (reasons stated before) Messi was the last Barca player with any sort of argument to win it. Messi being dominant by winning La Liga isn't much of argument.
    In 2010 a Spanish should have won it, that's the first time IIRC that ballon d'or is not given to a player who had a dominant run with his NT during a WC. I agree with the fact that an argument could have been done for Sneijder. 2010 was atypical for sure and Messi had an amazing individual year this is why I'm saying he was dominant.

Fair enough.

Anyway, my point is that this award is a joke, each year different reason is given for deciding the winner. Even if CR wins it this year which I think he should it won't change my opinion of it.
    You are absolutely in your right to say this award is a joke but I disagree on the reason why, ballon d'or is by far one of most consistent individual award. Except in 2010, I don't have a lot of issues with the winners since I'm following it at least.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    You are absolutely in your right to say this award is a joke but I disagree on the reason why, ballon d'or is by far one of most consistent individual award. Except in 2010, I don't have a lot of issues with the winners since I'm following it at least.
    what I mean is, since Messi won it based on individual effort in 2010 and 2012, and won it based on team AND individual accomplishments I think it's fair to say that the award should be given for individual effort at which point Ribery should really have no chance, yet he does and I wouldn't be surprised if he won it because as i said it's seems that each year there's a possibility that team achievements trump individual achievements and vice versa.

Obviously if CR or Messi win it this year my point is moot.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    what I mean is, since Messi won it based on individual effort in 2010 and 2012, and won it based on team AND individual accomplishments I think it's fair to say that the award should be given for individual effort at which point Ribery should really have no chance, yet he does and I wouldn't be surprised if he won it because as i said it's seems that each year there's a possibility that team achievements trump individual achievements and vice versa.

Obviously if CR or Messi win it this year my point is moot.
    messis 2012 was a fkn joke

what was the season that CR overcome the trophyless in la liga and eventually won the trophy, compared to messi who didnt win any trophy that year but had pplenty of goals and assists, didnt make sense to reward him the award that year...

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I don't give a f*ck if a player gets it because of the amount of goals or because of trophies he won as long as each year they give the award for the same reason they gave it the year before and year before that, etc...

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Globally Messi, because he is Messi, ed up a bit the logic of this award in 2010 mostly and we can make a case about 2012... but thats what god do tbh

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    but one or two years of exceptions don't make an inconsistent award after 50 years of history.

BTW the trophy started to be ed since these suckers of the FIFA took it over from France Football

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    "Messi won 4 straight and I'm still butthurt about it so I won't go to this event"
    Nah, it's because of the Blatter accident i believe.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Nah, it's because of the Blatter accident i believe.
    Nah, this "incident" came great for him to use as a excuse. There were already talks about Cristiano not going to the event even before the Blatter thing and look how he didn't went to the "European player of the year" award. His ego can't take all this losing.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    messis 2012 was a fkn joke

what was the season that CR overcome the trophyless in la liga and eventually won the trophy, compared to messi who didnt win any trophy that year but had pplenty of goals and assists, didnt make sense to reward him the award that year...
    Yeah, giving it to the guy that broke the all-time scoring record on a calendar year was a joke.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    but one or two years of exceptions don't make an inconsistent award after 50 years of history.

BTW the trophy started to be ed since these suckers of the FIFA took it over from France Football
    Exactly, before the Golden ball was given only by the vote of journalists. If that would have still been the case in 2010 Sneijder would have won, when they added the vote of the players and coaches not only Sneijder didn't win but he didn't even finish in the top 3.

This is like the MVP argument in the NBA. In my personal opinion the indivdual performance should matter more than team accomplishments, it is after all an individual award.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Exactly, before the Golden ball was given only by the vote of journalists. If that would have still been the case in 2010 Sneijder would have won, when they added the vote of the players and coaches not only Sneijder didn't win but he didn't even finish in the top 3.

This is like the MVP argument in the NBA. In my personal opinion the indivdual performance should matter more than team accomplishments, it is after all an individual award.
    I personnally don't care if it's the most talented player of a winning team award if it is consistent vs. individual. That's how journalists used to vote and in 50 years of history I don't see a lot of scandalous choice: Rossi, Platini, Belanov, baggio etc... I particulary loved M. Sammer vote (this kind of vote won't happen again unfortunately). 2006 was awesome in that regard: Cannavaro and Bufon.

Now we gonna have only number 9, number 10... defenders, mid fielder can go suck a

My Team
    Paris Saint-Germain FC
    Post Count

tbh muller was bayen best player te last 2 years.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    some fans are still pushing for Zlatan:

Zlatan's gonna grab det Ballon d'Or

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Bump.