Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently has signed a new 3-year deal. Would be awesome if he slipped to the Spurs, but unlikely. Wonder what the buyouts are.
    Buyouts can be pretty expensive. Spurs couldn't even buy out Scola.

Tavares with this deal is saying, draft me... but stash me elswhere until I can prove I can make it in the NBA.

The only teams that would be interested is sacrificing their 1st round pick for someone who can't come in for the next 3 years is a team that doesn't need rookies to play.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola's overseas contract was the end of an era... he had a $14mil buyout to come to the NBA which is unheard of now. Most players who want to come to the NBA have manageable buyouts now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a good #60 pick: Josh Huestis

Measured at 6-8 in shoes, with a 7-1 wingspan and a solid 213 pound frame, Heustis has terrific size for a NBA small forward and is even big enough to see some minutes as a small-ball power forward in certain lineups. He's a good athlete, showing nice quickness and agility and the ability to play above the rim in transition.

Heustis' outside shooting will likely be the key to his NBA prospects. He displays solid form on his jumper, and made 34% of his 3-point attempts the last two seasons, albeit on only around two attempts per game (154 in 70 games). His touch isn't great and he only converted 33% of his shots with his feet set this year (he was actually better off the dribble), but the hope is that he can at least become a reliable enough corner 3-point shooter to keep defenses honest and allow him to stay on the floor.

The rest of Huestis' offensive game is nothing to write home about, as he's not a particularly skilled or talented player at this point in time. He struggles to put the ball on the floor and rarely gets to the free throw line, even if he's able to overpower smaller college opponents with his back to the basket inside the paint at times. To his credit, he looks like a smart player who doesn't force the issue too often and rarely turns the ball over, which bodes well for the role he is projected to play in the NBA.

The best thing that Huestis brings to the table, and the key attribute that makes him a NBA prospect, is his defense. His size, length and athleticism gives him the ability to guard multiple positions at the college level and beyond, and he shows terrific smarts and intensity locking down opponents. Even though he's a bit upright in his stance at times, Huestis' strong base helps him keep quicker opponents in front of him, while his length and activity level makes him very effective at contesting shots. Even when he gets beat off the dribble initially, he's often athletic enough to recover and make a play at the rim, as evidenced by the terrific shot-blocking numbers he's posted throughout his career at Stanford.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz35UFqOL1F
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    Last edited by ceperez; 06-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought it was odd that nobody had Exum as the sixers pick sooner. I think the aussie connection is a no brainer. And i think MCW and Exum could coexist. Throw in Wroten off the bench. With Noel, Davies, Mullens, and Young/Payne/McDermott/Gordon/Randle. That could be a relentless pick and roll/pop game.
    Aussi connection?
    Im not sure about Exum...who is this guy? I would go safer and get Noah.
    Their best player is a PG...I wouldnt risk taking another. Thats 2 risky things: 1) that this Exum guy is good and 2) that they can both play together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought it was odd that nobody had Exum as the sixers pick sooner. I think the aussie connection is a no brainer. And i think MCW and Exum could coexist. Throw in Wroten off the bench. With Noel, Davies, Mullens, and Young/Payne/McDermott/Gordon/Randle. That could be a relentless pick and roll/pop game.
    One more thing...they could easily pick Payton with the 10th pick if they want another backcourt player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "If anyone knows Exum’s skill set, it’s Brett Brown. When he coached the Australian National team, Brown invited a then-15-year-old Exum to train with the squad. Brown also coached Exum’s father, Cecil, when Exum was an assistant with the Melbourne Tigers."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a good #60 pick: Josh Huestis

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz35UFqOL1F
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    I really like Heustis with one of our second rounders. If he can improve his shooting a bit then he can definitely see minutes in the NBA with his physical profile. Draft him, bring him to summer camp and assess his future shooting potential, defensive potential and at ude.

A pick that late in the draft is such a crapshoot finding a servicable 3&D prospect is a win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "If anyone knows Exum’s skill set, it’s Brett Brown. When he coached the Australian National team, Brown invited a then-15-year-old Exum to train with the squad. Brown also coached Exum’s father, Cecil, when Exum was an assistant with the Melbourne Tigers."
    Sure...and that is the ONLY reason this should/would pick him.

IMO...Noah Vonleh + Payton (if they want another PG) looks safer than Exum + Gordon.
    Hope Im wrong and Exum is great, nice to have another international star in the NBA.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buyouts can be pretty expensive. Spurs couldn't even buy out Scola.

Tavares with this deal is saying, draft me... but stash me elswhere until I can prove I can make it in the NBA.

The only teams that would be interested is sacrificing their 1st round pick for someone who can't come in for the next 3 years is a team that doesn't need rookies to play.
    I agree. The two most recent bigs that the Spurs took in the first round were Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinmi. Walter doesn't really fit that mold for a 1st. He's much more underdeveloped than Tiago and without the potential of Ian. With that being said he only recently started playing ball and has decent shooting mechanics and physical tools for a C. I see him with potential as a 4th big but with the Omer Asiks of the world it's plausible that he could one day be a starter if he keeps developing. Interesting prospect indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric doesn't seem like Spurs material, but his potential at 30 would be too hard to pass up. He said a while back that he'd like to play for the Spurs, so I think he'd rather SA hold his rights than most NBA teams. I don't want the Spurs to stash this pick, but for an elite D&S player I would make an exception.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Saric falls, I'd love to have him (unless Capela was available as well). While he is an offensive-minded SF/PF (mostly PF), he relies on BBIQ and not athleticism... meaning, he could have a career as long as Duncans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is so talented that you take him if you can... He's clearly an headcase with a shady inner circle but whatever... He could be the 4 of the future, Boris-like skills with a much more alpha at ude... People talk about stretch 4 and all that, and it's clearly the future of the league right now. But you know what beats a stretch 4, having a point forward at the 4, then you get to another level, we're talking nuclear offense...

If we're looking at the post Duncan era and the new age nba, Saric is one of the most compelling option I can think of... He's not very Spursy at this point but I think it's more about his entourage than anything, he seems compe ive and hard working...

I'm a big Capela supporter but Saric is in another tier. Plus Chip could help him work on his shot during the off seasons and they could encourage him to bulk up as well... You get a 23 years old Saric when Tim finally retires...

Don't see him falling to 30 tho, they'd have to trade up.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walter Tavares signs 3 year deal:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...h-gran-canaria

So anyone drafting this player is going to have to pay up for him if they want him quickly.

I think this signing pretty much cancels him as a Spur. The Spurs need to start grooming someone now to eventually take TDs spot IMHO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From ESPN :

NBA sources say that Saric's decision to stay in Europe will affect his draft stock. He was getting looks as high as the 76ers at No. 10, the Nuggets at 11 and the Magic at 12. However, because he's unlikely to come to the NBA for at least two years, those teams are now hesitating to draft him that high.
    However, it's possible that Saric won't slide too far. Sources say the Hawks at 15, the Celtics at 17, the Sunsat 18 and the Bulls at 19 are all looking at Saric and are more comfortable drafting him and keeping him in Europe for the next two seasons. The Celtics, Suns and Bulls all have multiple picks in this year's draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks will draft him, IMO.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure...and that is the ONLY reason this should/would pick him.

IMO...Noah Vonleh + Payton (if they want another PG) looks safer than Exum + Gordon.
    Hope Im wrong and Exum is great, nice to have another international star in the NBA.
    "Safer"? Ok whatever floats your boat man. Draft expert over here yo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks will draft him, IMO.
    Not sure they really can afford to if some like Nurkic is there at 15... They have been looking for a center for a long time and they wouldn't have to wait 3 years to get him on the team...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ESPNSteinLine: RT @DJJazzyJody: Jazz are offering Derrick Favors, Alec Burks and No. 5 pick to Cavs for No. 1 pick & Jarrett Jack, according to @1280Spence
    All for Jabari Parker? If I'm Cleveland I do this deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cannot see Utah offer this for Jabari, sorry. probably started by a couple of AM radio guys or something, wait a minute...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That deal, as constructed, is not possible under the CBA. The Cavs need to add a couple million to the deal. That can be done by including Alonzo Gee. I'd do such a deal if I were the Cavs. The only downside is that it cuts into cap space, but I think they could create enough room if James is really keen on going there. Otherwise, they can re-sign/S&T Deng and Hawes and make a playoff push. This would be much better than that Thornton trade idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Utah is obsessed with Parker but that seems like a lot to give up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who does Chad Ford have us taking in his latest 9.0 Mock Draft (just came out today)?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ord-Mock-Draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who does Chad Ford have us taking in his latest 9.0 Mock Draft (just came out today)?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ord-Mock-Draft
    Florida C Patric Young

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/patric-young

I don't see that happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to lose a trade when you're getting the best player... So imo it'd a clear win for the Jazz...

The Jazz cant keep both Kanter and Favors anyway and Burks' rookie contract is up soon... They're really not giving up much... I think there's only 2 potential superstars in the draft : Exum and Jabari...

Thread Information