Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I hope so, has steal of the draft written all over him.

On an unrelated note, what if Pop decided to end the Bonner era only to trade up for Bonner 3.0 aka McDermott? Seems like he's such a Pop-esque player that I can't rule it out somehow...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sure would be nice if the Clippers were to move ahead of the Rockets for the 5th best record... I'd like for us to get their 2nd round pick...

Go Clippers Go!!!

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well when it seems too good to be true it is... Nurkic and Kyle Anderson seem now out of reach...

That said we're so near the end of the Duncan era that we could see something happen during the draft... Especially if Tim retires and/or they get eliminated early... Could get crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does age make any influence on draft?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does age make any influence on draft?
    A player has to turn 19 during the calendar year of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player has to turn 19 during the calendar year of the draft.
    Yes i know that.I was thinking more does it somehow influence the position on draft?Like would it make any difference if Nurkic was 21 or 22 instead of 19?

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basic rule is that the younger a person is with given stats, the higher hey'll get drafted, as they have 1/2/3 years of development ahead of them compared to others, and probably a higher ceiling as a result. This is mostly factored into mock drafts now.

If Nurkic is going 25(?) now at 19, he'd probably go 40 or so as a 22 year old.

Look at where Shabazz Napier is projected at DX. 18p, 5.8boards, 5 assists, and 1.9 steals on decent %'s. Projected 57th as he'll be almost 23 when the draft happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The integrity of the game is at stake and the league should not turn a blind eye. We need the "draft wheel" to eliminate the blatant tanking that is happening.

The league would ban any player who purposely shaved points, but a FO that sits players who are healthy and does not try to compete gets no ramifications.

Which brings to mind our own fine of $250k when Pop rested our players so that we could be compe ive over the season. Why not fine teams who are blatantly tanking, starting with the Fakers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The integrity of the game is at stake and the league should not turn a blind eye. We need the "draft wheel" to eliminate the blatant tanking that is happening.

The league would ban any player who purposely shaved points, but a FO that sits players who are healthy and does not try to compete gets no ramifications.

Which brings to mind our own fine of $250k when Pop rested our players so that we could be compe ive over the season. Why not fine teams who are blatantly tanking, starting with the Fakers?
    brilliant. leave the draft alone. just add fines to the worst 3.

worst pays half the highest salary in the league (this year is kobes - about 15 mill fine)
    second worst pays the maximum midlevel exception amount (about 5 mill)
    worst pays minimum annual contract amount (about 500k)

add it to the luxury tax and spread it around. better yet, give it the the lakers (good incentive for teams to give such big contracts, and for stars to stick around to be eligible for such pay)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    call it the "do right" fine. bad teams do right and play hard, while players do right and stay with their teams that do right and pay big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the team playing pretty well right now, the one area where it could get better is bench balance imo...

I think one of Mills/Beli has to go. With Beli being an easily movable asset I think it makes more sense to part with him... Something like Beli + our first for an early 20s pick so that we can get Anderson would be awesome...

TD Splitter
    Diaw Anderson
    Kawhi Anderson
    Green Manu
    TP Mills

Even better balance and higher ceiling...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the team playing pretty well right now, the one area where it could get better is bench balance imo...

I think one of Mills/Beli has to go. With Beli being an easily movable asset I think it makes more sense to part with him... Something like Beli + our first for an early 20s pick so that we can get Anderson would be awesome...

TD Splitter
    Diaw Anderson
    Kawhi Anderson
    Green Manu
    TP Mills

Mills is under contract for this year only..is FA this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

TD Splitter
    Diaw Anderson
    Kawhi Anderson
    Green Manu
    TP Mills

Disagree, Belinelli is a fantastic player for our system and on a very cheap contract.

Also we have to plan for Manus retirement. Belinelli and Mills will be leading the bench in a couple years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy that I'd like to see the Spurs target is Cory Jefferson, PF from Baylor. He's very athletic and has really improved his skill level over the past two years...range out to college 3pt line and finesse post moves. Yes he's 23 going on 24, but I really think he's a solid all-around player that can help the Spurs on both sides of the ball in the short and immediate term. I think if he were two or three years younger he'd be a lottery pick, but he should be available at the end of the first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy that I'd like to see the Spurs target is Cory Jefferson, PF from Baylor. He's very athletic and has really improved his skill level over the past two years...range out to college 3pt line and finesse post moves. Yes he's 23 going on 24, but I really think he's a solid all-around player that can help the Spurs on both sides of the ball in the short and immediate term. I think if he were two or three years younger he'd be a lottery pick, but he should be available at the end of the first.
    Not sure if his jumpshot is legit. He's 42% from the college 3 but its only on 33 attempts and he's only shooting 64% from the line.

Regardless, if the front office think he can defend the 4 at the NBA level he would be a good addition. His age means he will drop in the draft and he's projected as a late 2nd rounder as it is, might be an option in the 2nd round. Too many question marks to consider taking him with a first rounder, but maybe he blitzs his tryouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Alec Brown for our late second rounder. 7'1, 7'0 wingspan and shooting 43% on 150+ 3PA in college the last 2 years. Not much risk at #60 for that combination of size, length and shooting.

His college stats are remarkably similar to Bonner. If he's really 235 (perhaps a bit generous) he'd only be 8lbs lighter than Bonner coming out of college. Shooting stats and rebounding broadly similar, but Brown is a significantly better shot blocker.
    Last edited by Richie; 03-16-2014 at 11:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it comes to 7 footers anyone notice the big guy at UC Irvine. 7'6" shot blocker. UC have had a very fine season. Maybe a guy to keep an eye on the next couple of NCAA seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it comes to 7 footers anyone notice the big guy at UC Irvine. 7'6" shot blocker. UC have had a very fine season. Maybe a guy to keep an eye on the next couple of NCAA seasons.
    7'6" with an 8'1" wingspan and 290lbs? Crazy stats, but he's probably just a big body. If he has even an ounce of basketball ability he will be a lottery pick for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DX hasn't acknowledged it, but if the season were to end today, the Spurs would have the Clippers' second-round pick. It's possible that 60 and 57 could be packaged to move up into the mid to late 40s or early 50s to target a plummeting player.

OR it's also possible that Philly trades up to 30 using two or more of their seconds. I can't see them using all of the picks they have over the next two drafts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DX hasn't acknowledged it, but if the season were to end today, the Spurs would have the Clippers' second-round pick. It's possible that 60 and 57 could be packaged to move up into the mid to late 40s or early 50s to target a plummeting player.

OR it's also possible that Philly trades up to 30 using two or more of their seconds. I can't see them using all of the picks they have over the next two drafts.
    Who knows, only thing for sure if that they seem determined to tank another year or two...

And I'm not sure there's that many trades with such low picks... Whatever you package with these picks to move up is probably getting you the exact same thing without the picks...

Thanasis Antetokounmpo is projected as a late 2nd so he could be a good surprise, better defensive potential than both Bertans and Thomas, main question is if his shot can be fixed...

Still like Jaiteh given how low he has fallen now... 70% FT shooter, imo he has plenty of potential despite a disappointing season...

Our first doesn't really excite me right now with LaVine and especially Anderson moving up each time DX updates their mock... I would like to trade down with Philly for their 2 best second rounders for instance (2nd and 9th pick)... Pick a PG and a big... Maybe Micic and Jaiteh, wait 2015 to bring them over...

Jaiteh
    Livio
    Bertans
    ?
    Micic

A whole 5 coming over at once...

Unrelated but I wonder if the Harrisson twins are gonna enter the draft, they have been playing better and at the same time don't seem thrilled to stay another year... Given that we're desperate for upside more than anything with the end of the Duncan era around the corner it could be good for us if they enter while their stock is low...
    Last edited by Baam; 03-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Philly wouldn't trade up to 30. #32 is probably worth more than #30 because you aren't limited to the rookie scale. Compare Cory Joseph to Chandler Parsons, Joseph will get $1.7m more over his first 4 years than Parsons, most of which is in the 4th year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if his jumpshot is legit. He's 42% from the college 3 but its only on 33 attempts and he's only shooting 64% from the line.

Regardless, if the front office think he can defend the 4 at the NBA level he would be a good addition. His age means he will drop in the draft and he's projected as a late 2nd rounder as it is, might be an option in the 2nd round. Too many question marks to consider taking him with a first rounder, but maybe he blitzs his tryouts.
    Watching him, it's not an unnatural motion....seems fluid and repeatable. I would agree there's probably more value at that pick, but that's also tough to argue this far out. After all, we don't know who will enter the draft or how individuals will test out in the pre-draft camps.

I'm just saying I'd personally look at Jefferson over younger guys like Jaiteh or Austin who have theoretically more upside. Then again, I'm not a scout or talent evaluator.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philly wouldn't trade up to 30. #32 is probably worth more than #30 because you aren't limited to the rookie scale. Compare Cory Joseph to Chandler Parsons, Joseph will get $1.7m more over his first 4 years than Parsons, most of which is in the 4th year.
    First, they don't necessarily have to trade 32 for 30. Two mid-seconds may be enough. Also, this wouldn't be the first time a team with a super-early second traded up a couple of picks into the late first. Miami traded from 31 to 28 for Norris Cole in 2011. It's all about targeting a player.

Finally, late-firsts are more cost-effective than early seconds over the course of four years usually. Most second-rounders are unwilling to sign for four years. So most good ones end up making a lot more after their third, second or even first years than their top-30 counterparts. For every Blair or Parsons, there are more Jordans, Asiks and Matthews.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, they don't necessarily have to trade 32 for 30. Two mid-seconds may be enough. Also, this wouldn't be the first time a team with a super-early second traded up a couple of picks into the late first. Miami traded from 31 to 28 for Norris Cole in 2011. It's all about targeting a player.

Finally, late-firsts are more cost-effective than early seconds over the course of four years usually. Most second-rounders are unwilling to sign for four years. So most good ones end up making a lot more after their third, second or even first years than their top-30 counterparts. For every Blair or Parsons, there are more Jordans, Asiks and Matthews.
    2nd rounders have no bargaining power, if the team will only offer them 4 years then they will have to take it. For foreign players it is harder because I suspect they are more than willing to spend time in their home leagues, but most Americans would rather play in the NBA I imagine.

If you want to get someone to sign for 4 years you'll likely have to guarantee the first two which is what happened with Parsons, a risk a lot of teams probably don't want to take. However, a first rounder is guaranteed the first two years also so it's not a massive risk if you're trading down a couple spots in to the 2nd round.

Personally, I don't like the idea of trading #30 for #39 and #45.

Thread Information