Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, it's easier to believe DX just hates Texas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious what are your thoughts on our team needs based on next years player contracts and previous foreign draft picks?

Probably this will be Bonner's last year which opens up a PF position and I don't know what we will do with Mill's who's contact is up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious what are your thoughts on our team needs based on next years player contracts and previous foreign draft picks?

Probably this will be Bonner's last year which opens up a PF position and I don't know what we will do with Mill's who's contact is up?
    Franchise big to replace Duncan tbqh. I was hopeful for Ayres, but it looks like he might not pan out.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm assuming Mills/Diaw come back at a total of $7-8m. Fits Diaws current contract(4) and 3/4m for Patty, which seems close to market value. Both are good/great deals at that money, but it's hard to see many others paying more. Diaw as he clearly mailed it in on a non playoff team, and Patty because no one has a great need for a starting PG. Jennings is terrible, but I can't see Dumars paying Mills, and most other teams have options.

Biggest need is a backup PF/C. Hard to fill that on a 1 year basis with a #30 pick. 4s/5s at around 30 on DX are Adrien Payne(24), Mitch McGary(33) AJ Hammons(36), Walter Tavares(39), Isaiah Austin(40), Patric Young(41). I doubt any on of those guys are an above average NBA player next year.(Maybe Payne, but he's 23, he should be ready). Frank Kaminsky is pretty interesting, though currently not projected as in.(22nd in DX 2015 mock).

It's realistically a FA target to try and get a tenth man. I don't think Pau is at all realistic with MLE, so I'd aim for Patrick Patterson(R)/Channing Frye/Jordan Hill/Ed Davis/Jeff Adrien. 1 of those would fill out a ten man rotation well.
    Tiago/1 of above
    TD/Diaw
    Kawhi/Manu
    DG/Marco
    TP/Mills

Means we're in a position of drafting best available to be a 12th man/be stashed, as it's hard to see the draft addressing immediate need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm assuming Mills/Diaw come back at a total of $7-8m. Fits Diaws current contract(4) and 3/4m for Patty, which seems close to market value. Both are good/great deals at that money, but it's hard to see many others paying more. Diaw as he clearly mailed it in on a non playoff team, and Patty because no one has a great need for a starting PG. Jennings is terrible, but I can't see Dumars paying Mills, and most other teams have options.

Biggest need is a backup PF/C. Hard to fill that on a 1 year basis with a #30 pick. 4s/5s at around 30 on DX are Adrien Payne(24), Mitch McGary(33) AJ Hammons(36), Walter Tavares(39), Isaiah Austin(40), Patric Young(41). I doubt any on of those guys are an above average NBA player next year.(Maybe Payne, but he's 23, he should be ready). Frank Kaminsky is pretty interesting, though currently not projected as in.(22nd in DX 2015 mock).

It's realistically a FA target to try and get a tenth man. I don't think Pau is at all realistic with MLE, so I'd aim for Patrick Patterson(R)/Channing Frye/Jordan Hill/Ed Davis/Jeff Adrien. 1 of those would fill out a ten man rotation well.
    Tiago/1 of above
    TD/Diaw
    Kawhi/Manu
    DG/Marco
    TP/Mills

Means we're in a position of drafting best available to be a 12th man/be stashed, as it's hard to see the draft addressing immediate need.
    Totally agree. We can go for the best player available and be happy with that (although we now seem to be deep on stashed 3s, we just need them to get healthy). We could really use a steal at Center... what corners of the Earth could they be scouting to come up with the next surprise pick...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tiago/1 of above
    TD/Diaw
    Kawhi/Manu
    DG/Marco
    TP/Mills

Really nice post. Thanks. Right now I think they could resign Mills for a bit cheaper, maybe 3 years 7-8 million. I don't think other teams view him as an option to start, despite his improvement. Nate Robinson got 2 years, 4 million. Mills is a better team player, but they have some similar limitations. We'll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=jesterbobman;7216959]Frank Kaminsky is pretty interesting, though currently not projected as in.(22nd in DX 2015 mock).

Kaminsky has been dominating other bigs in the tournament thus far. He has the most polished game of any big man in college basketball right now. I'm guessing he'll stay for his senior year, but he would definitely be a great pick up at 30. If he does enter the draft this year I doubt he lasts that long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kaminsky would be silly not to come out this year IMO. His stock is sky high at the moment, could very we end up a lottery pick if a team real likes him. Feel like he'd be a steal at #30.

Also, I don't like any of those options for the MLE. It would tie up ~$5m of salary for the 2015 summer when we will have cap space. Maybe a premier free agent won't sign here, but Splitters contract was clearly structured with an eye on that summer so I doubt we commit to any more salary.

Even if the chance of landing a player like Marc Gasol is small, I'd rather try that than spend the MLE on Channing Frye or Jordan Hill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets see best player will probably be a PG :

Deonte Burton 6'1 Nevada
    Elfrid Payton 6'3 Louisiana
    Andrew Harrison 6'5 Kentucky

Foreign Draft and Stash:

Vasilije Micic 6'4 Serbia PG
    Borgan Bogdanovic 6'6 Serbia PG
    Walter Tavares 7'2 - 265

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaminsky would be silly not to come out this year IMO. His stock is sky high at the moment, could very we end up a lottery pick if a team real likes him. Feel like he'd be a steal at #30.

Also, I don't like any of those options for the MLE. It would tie up ~$5m of salary for the 2015 summer when we will have cap space. Maybe a premier free agent won't sign here, but Splitters contract was clearly structured with an eye on that summer so I doubt we commit to any more salary.

Even if the chance of landing a player like Marc Gasol is small, I'd rather try that than spend the MLE on Channing Frye or Jordan Hill.
    I agree with you on long term strategy. I wasn't meaning a Jason Thompson MLE deal, but 5m then team option on the second year(or whatever is needed to make it essentially unguaranteed) would help the team next year, and keep the option open for the future.

Also agree on Kaminsky. I'd probably take him over McDermott, just not sure if he'll come out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets see best player will probably be a PG :

Deonte Burton 6'1 Nevada
    Elfrid Payton 6'3 Louisiana
    Andrew Harrison 6'5 Kentucky

Foreign Draft and Stash:

Vasilije Micic 6'4 Serbia PG
    Borgan Bogdanovic 6'6 Serbia PG
    Walter Tavares 7'2 - 265
    It's Bogdan, not Borgan. And he is not a pure PG, more of a SG, but he plays many minutes at PG this year in Partizan because their playmakers got injured.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, what's your take on Shabazz Napier from UConn? He's hit some big shots this year, is a senior, PG... Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bogdan, he reminds me a lot of Manu...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vasilije Micic will enter this years draft,his agent confirmed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Nice. The more folks stay in the draft the better chance the Spurs can land a productive player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels like the Harisson twins are bound to declare now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want a PG to replace Mills then Elfrid Payton is pretty intriguing... His defensive potential is really enticing... The Harrison twins could push him down to our pick too...

Post Duncan era could be a defensive minded team (like the Pacers) since there's just no (realistic) way to get an all time great big...

So Payton could be part of that next era... Joseph has shown himself to be too timid and limited at this point...

30th pick : Payton
    57th pick : it's a bit of a stretch to hope Jaiteh falls that low but who knows
    60th pick : Antetokounmpo
    Last edited by Baam; 04-06-2014 at 09:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players always say that after a loss and then $$$ takes over and I would not be surprised if they change their mind.

This draft is looking to be one of the best draft as far as depth we have seen in the last ten years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels like the Harisson twins are bound to declare now...
    Teams that draft on March Madness performance are almost always disappointed. The Harrisons have sucked donkey s all year long. DX had one late first round and one second round...FOR NEXT YEAR. They're not even trending well in a non-outstanding 2015 draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want a PG to replace Mills then Elfrid Payton is pretty intriguing... His defensive potential is really enticing... The Harrison twins could push him down to our pick too...

Post Duncan era could be a defensive minded team (like the Pacers) since there's just no (realistic) way to get an all time great big...

So Payton could be part of that next era... Joseph has shown himself to be too timid and limited at this point...

30th pick : Payton
    57th pick : it's a bit of a stretch to hope Jaiteh falls that low but who knows
    60th pick : Antetokounmpo
    That's the kid I really want this year. Think of George Hill, with ACTUAL PG skills, but a broke ass jumper. The kid fills the stat sheet. He's 6'4" and slightly built, but averages 19.3 points/6.3 rebs/5.8 asst/2.3 st. He's 20 years old, but is a Junior, starting college and spending most of his freshman year at 17. He's got 3 years NCAA experience, and is only months older than some of the "freshmen" coming out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embiid declared today, adding more talent to the top of the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man this draft is so deep we should be able to get someone who can at least be a good backup player. Some players that the latest mock draft have us taking:

K.J McDaniels- SF - 6'6 - Clemson
    Shabazz Napier- PG - 6'1 - UConn
    Clint Capela - PF - 6'10 - Switzerland
    Jusuf Nurkic - C - 6'11 - Bosnia
    Jarnel Stokes - PF - 6'9 - Tennessee
    Mario Hezonja - SG - 6'6 - Croatia

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand the Spurs like to pick international players and stash them, but it would be cool if they can pick someone who can make an impact on the team right away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man this draft is so deep we should be able to get someone who can at least be a good backup player. Some players that the latest mock draft have us taking:

K.J McDaniels- SF - 6'6 - Clemson
    Shabazz Napier- PG - 6'1 - UConn
    Clint Capela - PF - 6'10 - Switzerland
    Jusuf Nurkic - C - 6'11 - Bosnia
    Jarnel Stokes - PF - 6'9 - Tennessee
    Mario Hezonja - SG - 6'6 - Croatia
    Capela looks quite intriguing, DX has him projected in the lottery at the moment though.
    He is participating in this year's Hoop Summit game, which takes place this Saturday. You can read some write ups on the practices he had so far:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Practice-Day-Three-4441

Clint Capela
    Weight: 222 lbs.
    Height (w/ shoes): 6'11"
    Wingspan: 7'4.5"
    Standing Reach: 9'2.5”
    Hand Width: 10”
    Hand Length: 9.6”

-Capela is about the same size as Anthony Davis, who measured 6'10.5" in shoes with a 7'5.5" wingspan at 222 pounds. Its no wonder he ranks among the most prolific shot blockers in France.
    Damien Inglis and Clint Capela once again were able to make a few plays on both ends with their athleticism and physical tools. Inglis continues to be a menace defensively, while Capela had a few nice sequences where he was able to make a play protecting the rim before beating everyone down the floor to receive a pass in transition to score. Capela's rawness has stood out at times, as he's clearly still learning the game, particularly in terms of his skill-level, but the glimpses of talent he drops at times thanks to his tremendous explosiveness leaves a great deal of optimism for his future.

Clint Capela finished a few lobs emphatically above the rim over the course of the day. He doesn't have the highest skill level, but his length, quick feet, and impressive leaping ability allow him to make plays around the rim and on the boards on both ends of the floor, especially when he's dialed in and playing hard.

Thread Information