Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CGD Not true - they have over $52 mil commited without Boris and Patty ( unless Parker is waived ).
    Yup, my bad. Stand corrected.

So really Spurs only have the exceptions to play with next summer? If I understand correctly they have to deal with large cap holds for Boris, Bonner, and Millsy (to a lesser extent), if they're gonna use caproom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well looks like the post Duncan era could start one year early... I don't see Duncan picking up his player option if he can't play better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I know Tim is a nice dude, but who walks away from $10m unless you're trading that in for a longer term deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think theres a strong chance that we trade Bonner's expiring at the deadline for someone this year. And theres no way to know what kind of contract situation he'll have. But probably at least two years on it.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like the whole contract situation is geared towards making a big move during the 2015 summer, when the core will be Parker, Leonard, Splitter and Green, with possibly Diaw, Mills and Beli for the 2nd unit. That seems to coincide with Duncan, Manu and Pop retiring at the same time. BTW I don't see Green + Diaw eating up $13-15M or so in cap space as Chinook suggested. Both of them are $4-5M players, I don't see their combined impact going over $10M. Remember that Diaw opted into a 2nd year with the Spurs last June for $4.7M. Willingly. As far as I'm concerned, he's here to stay (as long as Parker doesn't move), and for roughly the same price.

Given the 8 players the Spurs are likely to keep, the priority would be a big (preferably PF) to replace Duncan, and a decent PG. Since MKG and Davis are unlikely to be on the market, as Chinook noted, Hibbert is the biggest draw. Aldridge and Love would be intriguing prospects. Rondo, Gasol, Ellis are too old and/or not good enough to warrant a max contract.

Love sounds like a good possibility: he's on a crappy team (well, this year they are decent), he doesn't seem too attracted to big markets, and he'd be sure to have a lot of PT (since the other bigs on the Spurs rosters wouldn't be stars).Not sure the FO likes his D, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Given the 8 players the Spurs are likely to keep, the priority would be a big (preferably PF) to replace Duncan, and a decent PG. Since MKG and Davis are unlikely to be on the market, as Chinook noted, Hibbert is the biggest draw. . .
    I do think that if the overhyped pacers can't get past Lebron this or next year, there is a chance players/team start getting frustrated and looking at other options. Could be that Hibbert decides to opt out of his last year for a long term deal elsewhere, or at the very least that he flirts with a team like the spurs where he could be the man from day one.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other option for maintaining large cap space is to not sign Kawhi to an extension this summer, and wait until the 2015 offseason to give him money.

If we're assuming he gets a $12m a year deal, this strategy would give us an additional 7.5m in cap space, given his QO is 4.3m. Kawhi would have to accept the plan, or he'd rightfully ask why he's not being extended this offseason. It's acceptable that he might want security, and just wants to sign asap.

We might end up paying a little more(both in total and for Kawhi), but if you can do this, you have money available for an additional high value player. Assuming the first lot of money is for a big(Which may or may not work) we could make a run at Chandler Parsons, Goran Dragic, Thaddeus Young, Jeremy Lin etc. If you get Dragic, you'd have

Splitter
    Free Agent Big(Aldridge, Love, Millsap, Hibbert, Gasol)/Diaw
    Kawhi/Livio/Bertans
    Green/Bellineli(Assume resigned)
    Parker/Dragic(Or Lin, looking for a good bench guard)

Plus first round picks in 2014 and 2015. That team is a good playoff team.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to go ALL IN for an all star big, otherwise realistic championship expectations are zero.
    I really like Davis, I would try to get him...the QO doenst matter, either we pay or make someone else pay.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no point attempting to get Davis. He'll make at least 2 all star teams on his rookie deal, and get the 5 year super max from the Pelicans. He won't be a free agent until 2020.

Thread Information