My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBA: Steelies’ search finally over
    July 27, 2005
    http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto...1_spor_01.html
    By Michael Osipoff / Post-Tribune staff writer

GARY — The Steelheads have hired Jaren Jackson as their head coach, a source close to the team said.

Chief operating officer Jewell Harris Jr. did not deny the team had tapped Jackson, a 12-year NBA veteran who began his pro career in the CBA, though he said an official announcement would not come until Friday at a Genesis Convention Center luncheon for corporate sponsors and season ticket-holders.

The Steelheads turned to Jackson after they had offered the job to Rockford coach Chris Daleo, then Rod Baker, who coached the Harlem Globetrotters and Grand Rapids Hoops and was an assistant at the University of Cincinnati.

A buyout to release Daleo from the final year of his contract with the Lightning could not be negotiated, and Baker was slow to answer as he awaited to hear about other job possibilities closer to his New Jersey home.

Jackson, who turns 38 in October, was the head coach of the ABA’s Philadelphia Fusion last season, a team that apparently folded and was not included among the active teams listed on the league’s Web site. He spent the 2003-04 season as an assistant at Georgetown, returning to his alma mater after earning a degree in finance in 1989.

“He’s extremely intelligent, he understands the team concept — there are a lot of things that make him an attractive choice,” Harris Jr. said when asked about Jackson. “He can be a role model. He excelled in athletics, he excelled in academics. We tell kids that you get rewarded for hard work, and he’s an example of that.

“He knows what the CBA is all about — no one would understand it better than him. He can identify with the players, and he’s someone the players can identify with. He’s exactly the type of guy that our guys would want to pattern their careers after.”

Jackson could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Steelheads owner Jewell Harris Sr. did not return phone calls seeking comment.

A noted defender and 3-point shooter, Jackson spent 12 NBA seasons with nine teams, bouncing around for parts of his first six seasons with six NBA teams before playing the entire 1996-97 season with the Washington Bullets. He then went on to leave his biggest mark in San Antonio, where he signed as a free agent, playing with the Spurs from 1997-98 until 2000-01. He won an NBA le with them in 1999, leading the team in 3-pointers. He enjoyed his best season in 1997-98, playing in all 82 games and starting 45, averaging career highs of 8.8 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.9 assists.

Jackson earned an estimated $9 million in NBA contracts, including a little more than $3 million with the Orlando Magic in his final season of 2001-02.

But Jackson, a New Orleans native who now resides in Maryland with his wife Terri and their 6-year-old son Jaren Jr., had to take a winding road to realize the dream of NBA riches.

After playing four seasons for the Hoyas under John Thompson, Jackson went undrafted by the NBA and was selected by Wichita Falls of the CBA in the fourth round (57th overall).

He split his rookie season between Wichita Falls and the New Jersey Nets, and spent all of the 1990-91 season with Wichita Falls, leading the team to the CBA le. He helped LaCrosse to the CBA le in 1991-92, also playing for the Golden State Warriors that season.

In the NBA, he also played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Portland Trail Blazers, Philadelphia 76ers and Houston Rockets. In the CBA, he also played for Pittsburgh and Fort Wayne, suiting up for the Fury for most of 1995-96, his final CBA season.

The 6-foot-6 swingman averaged 15.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 154 career CBA games, also having played in France and the World Basketball League. He averaged 5.5 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 431 career NBA games.

“He’s not a big name, but the resume is big,” Harris Jr. said.

“The team needs additional public relations this season to get people in the seats. He can have a great impact in the community, which is where we need to be.”

The Steelheads also expected to hire Bryan Gates as their assistant coach, the source said. Gates spent four seasons as an assistant with the Idaho Stampede, most recently in 2003-04, and has been a head coach in the USBL for four seasons, including this past season with the Oklahoma Storm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to JJ. The Spurs wouldn't have won the '99 le without him so even though he got out of shape when he got his contract, he earned the money in my book.

Even though I've told this story a thousand times, I'll tell it again. One day I was playing basketball at a local gym wearing a Jaren Jackson jersey. During a break I look over and see Jaren Jackson lifting weights. He notices my jersey and comes over and challenges me to a game of one on one.

The end.

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get or got?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pfft timvp talk about an anticlimax.

Details...

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real questions is whether or not he still has those awesome dreads he was sporting his last year in S.A.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great news!
    Going from being an assistant for the Hoyas to his 1st headcoaching position.
    I hope he does well and see him back in the NBA someday.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to JJ. The Spurs wouldn't have won the '99 le without him so even though he got out of shape when he got his contract, he earned the money in my book.

Even though I've told this story a thousand times, I'll tell it again. One day I was playing basketball at a local gym wearing a Jaren Jackson jersey. During a break I look over and see Jaren Jackson lifting weights. He notices my jersey and comes over and challenges me to a game of one on one.

The end.

Come on, LJ...give it up. What happened?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jackson ready for action
    Future excites new Steelheads coach
    BY AL HAMNIK

GARY | The first thing you notice about Jaren Jackson is the orange-sized 1999 San Antonio Spurs NBA championship ring he wears on his right hand.

And then you see a smile that lights up the room.

And then there's his background: Four years at Georgetown with Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo; parts of 12 seasons in the NBA; CBA championships while playing for Flip Saunders and Mike Davis.

Friday afternoon, Gary opened its arms to Jackson, 37, as new head coach of the Steelheads CBA franchise during a luncheon at the Genesis Convention Center.

"Don't think it," he said of the team's expectations this season. "Just know it.

"I expect great things to happen."

The Steelheads were 17-31 last season, losing 20 games by nine points or less. Coach Duane Ticknor quit at midseason for health reasons and the team never seemed to recover.

Friday's gathering included season ticket holders, corporate sponsors, fans and a few shareholders. Team owner Jewell Harris Sr. reiterated that he is passionate about keeping professional basketball in Northwest Indiana, and while he spoke, a tape of the 2005 CBA All-Star game in Gary was shown on the scoreboard above center court.

"More than me wanting to be in the NBA at some point as a coach, I'll be more excited to see a lot of these players with NBA aspirations get their opportunities like I did," said Jackson, who signed a one-year contract, terms of which were not disclosed.

"Winning is priority one, so they should all excel individually. What I've learned in the past is, teams that win have a legitimate opportunity to get (players) called up. Very seldom do players on a team that's not doing well get opportunities to go to the NBA."

Gary had no call-ups last season.

Jackson, a New Orleans native, said he looks forward to being out in the community, running youth camps, visiting schools and meeting the general public as the Steelheads' goodwill ambassador.

Upon hearing that, former East Chicago city judge Lonnie Randolph stood up and proudly announced, "My son has graduated from Drake and he's hired an agent 'cause he wants to do the right thing.

"Will the Steelheads do the right thing and take a look at him?"

Lonnie Randolph Jr. starred at Merrillville.

"Results matter and consequences take place," Jackson said. "I felt that as a player and I've been on a number of different teams. I've been cut many times. I've been released. I've been selected.

"I've been all over the world playing ball, and I've looked forward to being a coach for a long time at the pro level, so we'll see what happens. I'm excited to be here."

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...4d008207fc.txt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The end.

JJ used to run some games with us at the gym I go to... I think you know which one...

Thread Information