Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not necessarily the best time to build the PC, but a great time to pick up a GPU and a processor at the least. I bought 150.00 RAM for 89.00 last BF, and I saw equally awesome deals for other on Cyber Monday. Shoot me a PM with whatever deal you find on either day, I'll help you w/ whatever you thinking about picking up.
    Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks man, I appreciate the help.
    NP

mine's almost 3 years old now, but I still think it's pretty great, if I did it over again would only change the RAM to Crucial/Micron.

Silverstone Sugo SG05-B with 450 watt PS
    Gygabite H55N-USB3
    i3-550 -> i7-870 after 2 years
    some Corsair RAM 2x4GB PC1333
    PowerColor ATI Radeon 6850
    WD Scorpio black 500GB
    LG Blu-Ray drive in some laptop form factor that I've only 3 or 4 times actually used with a blu-ray disk
    Samsung 27" monitor replaced by BenQ GW2750
    Sidewinder X4 / Logitech G500
    Time to upgrade from that GPU tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking... is next week (Black Friday or Cyber Monday) the best time to build a PC ? A PC that normally would be $700 for like $500? I know it's hard to know without knowing the prices, but has anyone here ever built a PC through discounted Black Friday prices and got a lot of value for their buck?
    Black Friday pricing a little early.. 220.0 i5 3570k perfect for a new high end PC on sale currently at Microcenter for 149.00. That 70 you save can go towards a bad ass GPU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking... is next week (Black Friday or Cyber Monday) the best time to build a PC ? A PC that normally would be $700 for like $500? I know it's hard to know without knowing the prices, but has anyone here ever built a PC through discounted Black Friday prices and got a lot of value for their buck?
    Black Friday pricing a little early.. 220.0 i5 3570k perfect for a new high end PC on sale currently at Microcenter for 149.00. That 70 you save can go towards a bad ass GPU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, that's an insane deal. I'm thinking about upgrading my crap motherboard. Can you let me know if you see any?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, that's an insane deal. I'm thinking about upgrading my crap motherboard. Can you let me know if you see any?
    Motherboards are cheap to begin with. ASRock Z77 for 84.99 here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157325

That will get you the popular Z77 chipset great for easy overclocking of the processor, plus the 1155 socket that will work w/ the 3570k.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Motherboards are cheap to begin with. ASRock Z77 for 84.99 here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157325

That will get you the popular Z77 chipset great for easy overclocking of the processor, plus the 1155 socket that will work w/ the 3570k.
    I'm sticking with an AMD cpu for now though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sticking with an AMD cpu for now though
    Upgrade to an FX 8350 processor (199.00) and a new graphics card.
    Last edited by DJR210; 11-19-2013 at 12:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and the fan sounds like a jet engine
    This has always baffled me. What games do you play where the sound isn't exponentially louder than the noise coming from your case? I can't say I've ever been playing Battlefield or Sleeping Dogs or Deus Ex and been like, "man, I wish I could hear these explosions over the sound of my fans."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, FWIW, I've been with AMD since my 8800 GTS (and 3 of my friends who were running the same card) launched themselves within 3 months of each other and NVidia refused to admit a problem with the card design.

Never had a SINGLE issue with AMD cards that weren't related to poor coding on the game's part.

That said, BF4 is crashing like a mofo right now. xD

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, FWIW, I've been with AMD since my 8800 GTS (and 3 of my friends who were running the same card) launched themselves within 3 months of each other and NVidia refused to admit a problem with the card design.

Never had a SINGLE issue with AMD cards that weren't related to poor coding on the game's part.

NVidia's recall history is quite extensive too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has always baffled me. What games do you play where the sound isn't exponentially louder than the noise coming from your case? I can't say I've ever been playing Battlefield or Sleeping Dogs or Deus Ex and been like, "man, I wish I could hear these explosions over the sound of my fans."
    I don't know how to explain it. It's just annoying. I have a reference model 680 and my fan curve is set to be 5% higher than the current temp (for example 50 degrees = 55% fan) and when even at 70% fan it just bugs me. Also keep in mind, people aren't always going to have speakers on high volume, or want to wear headphones. I can only imagine a card running "normally" according to AMD at 90 degrees, it's basically now a GPU/space heater tbh.

Screw NVIDIA, always work with the manufacturer. EVGA has the BEST damn customer service I've probably ever dealt with. The "Step Up" program allows you to swap out the GPU you bought assuming a better model launches within 6 months of purchase, and they will also send you a new replacement card prior to getting the faulty one back from the consumer.

Any idea of the cause of the BF4 crashes? VRAM maybe? Is your 7950 a 2GB or a 3GB? Settings too high? Have you tried running as an admin, or disabling any overlay programs like Precision X (gives me problems on a few games, namely modded Skyrim and Deadpool) or MSI afterburner?

NVidia's recall history is quite extensive too.
    All products will have their problems, but based on reading years of people's posts on tech websites, AMD users seem to have quite a bit more problems.
    Last edited by DJR210; 11-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any idea of the cause of the BF4 crashes? VRAM maybe? Is your 7950 a 2GB or a 3GB? Settings too high? Have you tried running as an admin, or disabling any overlay programs like Precision X (gives me problems on a few games, namely modded Skyrim and Deadpool) or MSI afterburner?
    Hurried code. They pushed it through too fast. BF4 crashes a lot for *everyone* AFAIK. Though I played yesterday and I think I only had one crash the entire time, so it seems to be abating slightly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how to explain it. It's just annoying. I have a reference model 680 and my fan curve is set to be 5% higher than the current temp (for example 50 degrees = 55% fan) and when even at 70% fan it just bugs me. Also keep in mind, people aren't always going to have speakers on high volume, or want to wear headphones. I can only imagine a card running "normally" according to AMD at 90 degrees, it's basically now a GPU/space heater tbh.

Screw NVIDIA, always work with the manufacturer. EVGA has the BEST damn customer service I've probably ever dealt with. The "Step Up" program allows you to swap out the GPU you bought assuming a better model launches within 6 months of purchase, and they will also send you a new replacement card prior to getting the faulty one back from the consumer.

All products will have their problems, but based on reading years of people's posts on tech websites, AMD users seem to have quite a bit more problems.
    I'm a little biased, I took some ty calls during two huge NVidia recalls for laptop vid cards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hurried code. They pushed it through too fast. BF4 crashes a lot for *everyone* AFAIK. Though I played yesterday and I think I only had one crash the entire time, so it seems to be abating slightly.
    Yeah, I've heard about a load of bugs. Glad I didn't buy that tbh, I'll wait until it's on sale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a little biased, I took some ty calls during two huge NVidia recalls for laptop vid cards.
    you did customer service for Nvidia?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you did customer service for Nvidia?
    No, but I work for a company that uses them as an option a lot of the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but I work for a company that uses them as an option a lot of the time.
    Dell I'm guessing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dell I'm guessing?
    Apple. Repair related supervisor requests. It sucked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So MBP's do have their share of issues contrary to the common belief I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So MBP's do have their share of issues contrary to the common belief I see.
    that's where the award winning service steps in!

I think they ditched NVidia for a few years after. All the big companies were hit pretty hard by that, as well as the Sony lithium battery thing.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Side-topic: How many years is a cost-effective refresh of PC? With godly specs of parts today, it seems that a good rig is future-proof for five years on average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can hang on to various parts for various times. A good mobo can last you two chips in my experience - 3-4 years. When i gamed, i generally upgraded my vid card 12-18 months depending on deals i would find.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side-topic: How many years is a cost-effective refresh of PC? With godly specs of parts today, it seems that a good rig is future-proof for five years on average.
    First, no such thing as future proofing. Second, if you're not a gamer having your PC refreshed is much easier. , an SSD with your OS freshly installed on it will make you feel like you have a brand new PC. Things get more difficult to refresh for gaming purposes as you may have to upgrade the processor, and to upgrade the processor you need to upgrade the board, and the new board requires different RAM, and so on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

NZXT Lexa S Gaming Case
    Intel i5-2500k cpu
    EVGA Geforce GTX 580
    8 GB Kingston Hyper X system memory
    120 GB Kingston Hyper X SSD
    Cooler Master 700W Power Supply

This baby runs anything I throw at it on Ultra Settings and this rig is 3 years old
    Last edited by illusioNtEk; 12-08-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Thread Information