Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ails_show.html

Christie aide: "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee"

Gov. Chris Christie Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly sends private message at 7:43 a.m. to David Wildstein, Christie's appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
    August 13, 2013
    Wildstein: "Got it"

Wildstein a minute later to Kelly's Yahoo email.
    September 6, 2013
    Wildstein orders lane closure

The Port Authority's director of interstate capital projects, David Wildstein, orders the bridge's general manager to carry out the closures.
    September 9, 2013
    2 of 3 local toll lanes close

The Port Authority closes two of three local access lanes from Fort Lee to the George Washington Bridge, the nation's busiest crossing, bringing traffic to a halt and turning borough streets into a parking lot.
    Christie aide: "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee"

series of private emails between a top aide to Gov. Chris Christie and a political appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey shows the governor’s office was well aware of a plan to abruptly shut down several lanes at the George Washington Bridge in September, and then went into damage control mode as massive traffic jams turned into a political bombs .

The communications between Bridget Anne Kelly, a deputy chief of staff in Christie’s office, and David Wildstein, a close friend of the governor from high school hired by the Port Authority in 2010 as director of interstate capital projects—a position that had no job description— suggest Wildstein was given the go-ahead to close the lanes about two weeks before the closings occurred, and that the governor’s office knew there was going to be problems.

And they detailed how the administration struggled to deal with the fallout, as complaints about the unannounced closings and massive gridlock they caused began mounting.

The controversy began when the agency abruptly closed two out of three upper-level toll lanes at the George Washington Bridge normally dedicated to local traffic, and instead opened them to commuters approaching from Interstate 95 and Routes 4 and 46.

Wildstein, who spearheaded the lane shutdown, was in direct communication with Kelly in August on the issue.

he evidence of advance knowledge of the closures by one of Christie's close staffers comes despite repeated assertions by the governor that he had nothing to do with the unannounced closures. The governor has also dismissed a legislative investigation into whether the closures were politically motivated as an attempt by Democrats to score their own political points.

Assemblyman John Wisniewski (D-Middlesex), a former state Democratic Committee chairman who chairs the Assembly Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee and has been leading the legislative inquiry, has a press conference scheduled for later this afternoon. In a phone interview this morning, he said he was not surprised by the new email disclosures.

“I said all along that the order for the lane diversion came from outside the Port Authority,” he said.

Asked if he believed the email suggested the motive of the closures was indeed political, he responded, “I said all along that the order for the lane diversion came from outside the Port Authority.”

Chris Christie on GWB controversy: It's only still being covered because I'm a national figure It's now been over 100 days since the Port Authority closed lanes to the George Washington Bridge, causing widespread criticism of Gov. Chris Christie. On Wednesday the Democratic National Committee release a highlight reel of some of his latest statements on the controversy. In a Thursday meeting with the press on Thursday Dec. 19, 2013, the Governor said that the issue was "not that big a deal" and that it is still being covered because Christie is "a national figure." (Video by Michael Monday/The Star-Ledger)

However, Wisniewski said it was too soon to say that Christie himself was aware of plans for the closures in advance.

Christie's office said neither of his spokesmen were available for comment.

State Sen. Ray Lesniak (D-Union) called on U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman to convene a federal grand jury to look into the possibility of criminal abuse of public office related to the bridge lane closures.

"There’s certainly reasonable su ion that criminal acts occurred," said Lesniak, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee whose district includes several Port Authority facilities. "

Asked to specify what any such crimes might include, Lesniak said: “Abusing governmental authority for political purposes, for political gain.”

Lesniak said the New Jersey's top federal prosecutor, not the state attorney general's office, should look into the matter because Gov. Chris Christie appointed attorney general.

“No disrespect to the state attorney general’s office, but there’s an obvious conflict of interest there,” he said, alluding to Gov. Chris Christie's appointment of the state attorney general.'

Sen. Richard Codey (D-Essex), a Christie critic who called on the Port Authority Inspector General’s office to investigate the closures before that office launched its own probe last month, said the new disclosures were outrageous.

“This goes to the personal integrity of the governor’s office,” said Codey. “The governor said he asked everyone in his office if they were involved in this, and he said the answer it was a blanket no. Obviously, there’s more lies there than in the confessional.”

Chris Christie's denials in George Washington Bridge closure scandal (video) As the scandal has emerged and grown, New Jersey Gov Chris Christie has repeatedly denied any connection between his office and the decision by two aides he appointed to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to close two local access lanes to the George Washington Bridge in early September 2013. A compilation of his statements throughout the month of December 2013. (Video by compilation by Brian Donohue/The-Star-Ledger)

Assemblyman Scott Rumana (R-Passaic) this week said the Democratic lawmaker leading a legislative investigation into the closures failed to give Republicans enough time to thoroughly vet the do ents in advance of a much-anticipated hearing in Trenton on Thursday. Wisniewski dismissed the criticism as politically motivated.

Wildstein, who has been called to testify at the hearing, was one of seven current and former Port Authority officials from whom Wisniewski had subpoenaed correspondence-related do ents involving the closures.

According to Wisniewski, some of the correspondence indicated that the idea to redirect two out of three toll lanes normally accessed by a ramp from Fort Lee originated outside the agency, though he has declined to elaborate.

Wildstein was one of two Port Authority officials to resign last month amid the growing lane closure controversy. A week after he stepped down, the resignation of his supervisor at the agency, former Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni, was announced by Christie.

Baroni testified voluntarily before the committee on Nov. 25, without being sworn in, that Wildstein ordered the closings to determine whether overall bridge traffic would move more smoothly if one upper-level toll lane, instead of three, was dedicated to traffic from an access ramp in Fort Lee. He also acknowledged that the failure to communicate the closures to other agency officials and to local authorities was a mistake.

However, Democrats suspect the unusual closings were retaliation for the mayor's failure to support Christie's re-election. In his first public remarks to reporters on the closures, Christie dismissed any notion that he was involved or that they were politically motivated, joking, "I was working the cones."

On Dec. 9, Port Authority Executive Director Patrick Foye told the committee, under oath, that he was never made aware of any traffic study and remained unaware of one at that point. Wildstein resigned three days ahead of Foye's appearance before the committee, while Baroni's resignation was announced by Christie four afterward, when he repeated his assertion that he had nothing to do with closures.

http://video-embed.nj.com/services/p...ez5Zw-Ss_6Anfe
    “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Kelly emailed Wildstein on August 13.

“Got it,” he replied.
    FULL COVERAGE:
    CHRISTIE AND GWB SCANDAL

Other communications show the two later traded glib text messages, brushing off concerns by local officials in Fort Lee after the bridge lane closures went into effect, tying up traffic for hours. The mayor of Fort Lee, Mark Sokolich, reached out to Bill Baroni, another Christie appointee at the Port Authority, asking for help because the traffic problems were making children on buses late to school.

“Is it wrong that I am smiling?” texted Wildstein to Kelly after hearing from Baroni.

“No,” she texted back.

“I feel badly about the kids,” he responded.

“They are the children of Buono voters,” she said, in reference to Barbara Buono, the Democrat who challenged Christie in his re-election campaign, and lost by a wide margin.

Kelly was named as Christie's deputy chief of staff for legislative and intergovernmental affairs in April 2013 and is paid $114,000 annually.

The emails, which were obtained by The Star-Ledger, were exchanged over private Gmail and Yahoo accounts, not official government email accounts that would have been subject to disclosure under public record disclosure laws.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    lol Chris Christie
    lol obese wop sucker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...Christie can't bull his way out of this, and there is going to be an investigation.

Bridge Closures Led To Emergency Response Delays, Disrupted Treatment For 91-Year-Old Woman Who Died
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-delays-death/

Here Are The 4 Most Incriminating Email Exchanges In The Chris Christie Bridge Scandal
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...osing-scandal/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone remember this Christie exchange?

I went to listen to him speak. I stood in the front of the crowd that was standing towards the back. I know he caught sight of me. He stared at me a few times during his speech. I left right as his speech was over to position myself right at the door of the bus. He came out, shaking everyone's hands as he was getting on the bus. I asked him my question, expecting him to ignore me but he suddenly turned and went off.

I asked him: "Why do you portray our schools as failure factories?" His reply: "Because they are!" He said: "I am tired of you people. What do you want?"

I told him I want money for my students. He fought back with the amount that he has spent on education. My response was along the lines of the fact his amount was not actually an increase from the previous years, given the rate of inflation and other factors. ...

The crowd started arguing with me. He screamed at me to just do my job. The crowd cheered for him. I just looked at them and told them: "Hey, this is my life. I had to do this." I tried to follow him to Atlantic City to continue the conversation but the roads were blocked by police when I got there.

- See more at: http://jerseyjazzman.blogspot.com/20....e0C8vPa7.dpuf

NJ was ranked 3rd in the nation in school quality. Yet there was the governor screaming at a teacher as his wife smiled/smirked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or this Christie exchange..

Chris Christie called a Navy veteran an "idiot" at a New Jersey town hall meeting Thursday after they locked horns over the governor’s plan to merge two public universities.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2ps8BYagE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Christie Apologize?

Lots of politicians get blamed for gridlock, but few can really grab it with both mitts and own it the way Gov. Chris Christie now can. One of his top aides gave the go-ahead to shut down traffic into Fort Lee, N.J., because the town's Democratic mayor wouldn't endorse Christie's re-election bid. "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," wrote Bridget Anne Kelly, a deputy chief of staff in the governor’s office.* Then, when the traffic was causing the predictable problems, Christie's aides appeared to delight in the fact that the ones being inconvenienced were likely to vote for Christie's opponent.

The problems for Christie and his presidential ambitions are obvious. The scandal is cinematic, amusing, and repeatable, which means it won't go away. Any of Christie's opponents in 2016 can refer to it at any time. New reporters will now be assigned to the Christie dirt-digging beat. It will be a stone in Christie's shoe as he endures the already irritating process of lugging himself across the country to campaign for the nomination.

The fate of his presidential campaign hangs on how he responds to the Fort Lee traffic scandal.
    The story also confirms the existing stereotype that Christie is a bully from a state known for playing rough and being ethically loose. It raises questions about just what kind of operation Christie is running and whether he can be trusted. Christie has dismissed questions about the bridge issue and said—at least before the latest revelations—that no one in his office knew about it. Also, this would appear to close off Christie's lane to the high road (sorry). How can he say things like this from now on? "We watch a Congress at war with itself because they are unwilling to leave campaign-style politics at the Capitol's door
    "

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ment=128139451

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the best possible light, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie built a top staff of lying thugs who threatened lives and safety to serve his political ends. If not, Christie is a lying thug himself.

Emails and text messages among his close aides made public Wednesday do ented that in September they gleefully engineered George Washington Bridge lane closures to punish the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee for failing to endorse their boss’ reelection.

Local officials say the gridlock they caused delayed ambulances in responding to four calls, including one involving an unconscious 91-year-old woman who later died.

Christie’s presidential ambitions are all but kaput, as he will be lambasted and lampooned as a man of low character and horrible judgment — again viewing him in the most favorable way.
    The Port Authority’s sudden, unannounced closing of bridge entrance lanes produced hours-long backups for four days. They ended only after Executive Director Patrick Foye discovered the shutdowns, which were later traced to rogue orders issued by Christie PA appointee David Wildstein, a high school buddy, and to a cover-up by Bill Baroni, Christie’s top person at the bi-state agency.

For months, responsibility remained clouded. During that time, Christie made light of the charges. He joked that the press was suggesting he had moved traffic cones personally. Last month, he described the affair as “not that big a deal.” He supported Baroni’s story that the lane closures were part of a traffic study.

His aides’ communications, made public Wednesday, put the lie to that...

<snip>
    More: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/c...icle-1.1570246

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too big to prosecute, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about prosecuting...it's about exposing Christie as a bully and his staff as ethically challenged...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at Christie throwing his aides under the bus...

Now Crispy says he was "misled" by his aides
    “What I've seen today for the first time is unacceptable,” the statement read. “I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions.”
    See more at: http://www.northjersey.com

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    remember this christie exchange

dude was never gonna make it out of the primaries anyway

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The far right Republicans don't like him either.

The Fat Man is dead.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Why do these dumbass politicians say like this in emails? You would think they would be smarter and sneakier when it comes to hiding their dark from the public.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This One Paragraph Shows How This Could Just Be The Start Of Chris Christie's Problems

The recent Mark Halperin and John Heilemann book, "Double Down: Game Change 2012," suggests that there could be plenty of dirt on Christie to uncover. One of the things that most concerned Mitt Romney's staff about the nomination of Christie as vice president in 2012 was that they were "stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record."

Here's the key paragraph:

The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an in bent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.” (Todd also oversaw a family foundation whose activities and purpose raised eyebrows among the vetters.) And all that was on top of a litany of glaring matters that sparked concern on Myers’ team: Christie’s other lobbying clients, his investments overseas, the YouTube clips that helped make him a star but might call into doubt his presidential temperament, and the status of his health.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/chris...esident-2014-1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Christie Outraged By Christie Administration

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former New Jersey Republican Gov. Tom Kean, a longtime Christie mentor, was stunned when he learned of the emails.
    “That’s a big deal because they were saying there’s no connection to the governor’s office,” he told POLITICO. “That’s a connection.”

If Christie is losing people like Tom Kean he is finished.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ls-101897.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the best the dems can come up with to label Christie is 'bully' then they have a tough row to hoe. Especially after the current POTUS has the label of an ineffectual pussy following his back and forth with Congress.

And they should just come full on with the fattie hate and quit beating around the bush about his weight. 'Status of his health?' Passive aggressive bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think your wrong Fuzzylips...Christie's run may not be mortally wounded by this scandal, but he is going to be wounded none-the-less...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the best the dems can come up with to label Christie is 'bully'
    what Dem has called him a bully?

He's a classless (eg, "I worked the cones" sarcastic bull ), unethical, Wall St 1% obese greasebag bully, an extreme right radical with carefully cultivated facade as moderate, which is enough for the Repug/TB to block him, with no help from the Dems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what Dem has called him a bully?

He's a classless (eg, "I worked the cones" sarcastic bull ), unethical, Wall St 1% obese greasebag bully, an extreme right radical with carefully cultivated facade as moderate, which is enough for the Repug/TB to block him, with no help from the Dems.
    What you are posting is obvious propaganda trying to 'define' Christie. Goggle 'bully christie' and its right there for you.

Defining Romney as an oligarch worked wonders 18 months ago. Its typical dem strategy. This is just weak as as opposed to other efforts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you are posting is obvious propaganda trying to 'define' Christie.
    I post WHATEVER THE I WANT, for WHATEVER THE REASON I WANT, GFY

he's a greasebag schoolyard bully, with bag staff, a reflection of himself.

Bishop Gecko was crushed. He was, with "You People" Queen Ann, an elite 1%er, clear as day to anyone, totally fake, inauthentic, a fraud, a transparent facade he thought he was EN LED to be President.

Where did the Dems trash him as such?

as for bully, the evidence:

Stories Add Up as Bully Image Trails Christie

But the gesture would come to seem genteel compared with the fate suffered by others in disagreements with Mr. Christie: a former governor who was stripped of police security at public events; a Rutgers professor who lost state financing for cherished programs; a state senator whose candidate for a judgeship suddenly stalled; another senator who was disinvited from an event with the governor in his own district.

In almost every case, Mr. Christie waved off any suggestion that he had meted out retribution. But to many, the incidents have left that impression, and it has been just as powerful in scaring off others who might dare to cross him.

Now, the governor is dogged by another accusation of petty political revenge. Two close political allies ordered the abrupt shutdown of two local access lanes on the George Washington Bridge in September, gridlocking Fort Lee, N.J., for four days. The borough’s mayor said it was punitive because he had declined to endorse the governor’s re-election.

The governor mocked the suggestion as preposterous. But Democrats in New Jersey — and privately, some Republicans too — say it would hardly be out of character for Mr. Christie. As the governor prepares to run for president, the accusation has reinforced his reputation as a bully.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/25/ny...ing-image.html

Greasebag is a bully is not coming from Dem strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I never said you couldn't post it. I just said what it is.

Deep breaths.

I would also posit that you are ignorant of that NYtimes author and what she does. She wrote a book that did nothing other than define the tea party in 2010. and ffs read the last two sentences of the quoted portion of the article.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

If you think about it who else is better to represent an obese nation?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Why do these dumbass politicians say like this in emails? You would think they would be smarter and sneakier when it comes to hiding their dark from the public.
    I was wondering the same thing, It's like a Monsanto scientist feeding his child milk and corn.

Thread Information