Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is my thinking of where we are for '14-'15:

Depth Chart
    PG: TP, Manu, CoJo (let's be real here, Manu plays point much better than Mills)
    SG: Green, Mills, Beli (and Mills really is more of a short SG)
    SF: Kawhi, Anderson, Daye
    PF: Diaw,
    C: TD, Splitter, Baynes, Ayers

That puts us at 14 spots. I think we keep one spot open for 10-day contracts.
    I think Bertans sits out this year and comes over '15-'16. Baynes is re-signed for a couple more years. If we want to shore up the PF slot, Daye is on the hot seat with his partially guaranteed contract. We will know what the FO intends to do by the end of the month, when his contract becomes guaranteed.

for 2015-2016
    PG: TP, Cojo
    SG: Green, Beli, Mills
    SF: Kawhi, Bertans, Daye
    PF: Diaw, Anderson, LJC
    C: Splitter, TD, Baynes,

Manu retires and TD would be up in the air. I think TD plays one more season, this one. Anderson moves to being primarily a PF. Bertans and LJC come over.
    We still have a need at C and PG. We will be sitting at 14 players under contract. With Manu retiring, we'll have cap room for signing a decent big or PG.

Disagree? Who stays, who goes?
    Last edited by bluebellmaniac; 06-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Daye and Anderson seem redundant after this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Daye moved at the Feb deadline if Anderson shows good progress.

Were not talking much about it but I think Baynes may get poached this summer.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tiago is moved next summer as part of a deal to land a PF. He's the best asset not named Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Daye and Anderson seem redundant after this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Daye moved at the Feb deadline if Anderson shows good progress.

Were not talking much about it but I think Baynes may get poached this summer.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tiago is moved next summer as part of a deal to land a PF. He's the best asset not named Leonard.
    If that's the case i really hope they target Marc Gasol to replace him.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's the case i really hope they target Marc Gasol to replace him.
    People keep talking about his brother Pau on here, but I see nothing positive about him on the Spurs, would rather have Marc in a heartbeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People keep talking about his brother Pau on here, but I see nothing positive about him on the Spurs, would rather have Marc in a heartbeat.
    I definitely would also but wouldn't mind Pau as our 4th big since he can definitely score on offense while Timmy gets his rest. His defense obviously would be an issue though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A back up wing and another stretch 4 to replace Bonner would be nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haslem is now a FA, though doubt he is going anywhere

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...act-miami-heat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realgm reported that Bo McCalebb wants to sign with an nba team this season, definitely on the shortlist if Mills walks...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haslem is a trooper/idiot for giving up so much money for the cause.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realgm reported that Bo McCalebb wants to sign with an nba team this season, definitely on the shortlist if Mills walks...
    I would add Milos Teodosic and Bobby Brown to that list. The Spurs have been linked to each guy before in rumors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haslem is a trooper/idiot for giving up so much money for the cause.
    I'm guessing that his new deal will make him look like an idiot in much the same way that Richard Jefferson looked like an idiot four years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well no duh. But Pau Gasol is a free agent and Marc isn't. Hence the Pau Gasol talk.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well no duh. But Pau Gasol is a free agent and Marc isn't. Hence the Pau Gasol talk.
    I know that about the Gasol brothers, but just because Pau is a free agent does not make him more desirable on the Spurs IMHO.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kevinMcNamara33: Word is multiple teams would've drafted Bryce Cotton if agreed to go overseas for a yr. Now will make go of it w Spurs.

Heard Spurs were willing to give him an FA contract over just an SL contract. Probably reading too much into it but it:
    (1) makes it easier for Spurs in case Mills walks. Cotton spent four years in college, played in big game situations, and looks like a winner.
    (2) gives Joseph a run for his money. Seems like a better shooter and scorer than Joseph is.
    (3) gives us a glut at PG yet again, if and when Mills decides to come back. We're up to four again, five, counting Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that about the Gasol brothers, but just because Pau is a free agent does not make him more desirable on the Spurs IMHO.
    No, it makes him more realistic. Marc isn't a realistic acquisition this season. Hence why it's not worth talking about him in realistic discussions. Acquiring him in a trade is a pipe dream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is chandler parsons a ufa?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any idea what Chandler Parsons' looking to get this summer during free agency? As I understand, he is a restricted free agent and Houston is interested in re-signing him or matching any offer he receives from other teams according to this yahoo article: http://http://yhoo.it/1wYluwJ.

The article states the following:

"Parsons, 25, averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and four assists while shooting 37 percent from 3-point range for the Rockets last season. Versatile at 6-foot-9, Parsons could be the best small forward available in free agency after LeBron James and Anthony. He also can play power forward in small lineups.

Parsons made $926,500 in the third year of his rookie contract last season. The Rockets' move allows Parsons to get a much bigger salary a year earlier and gives Houston salary-cap space flexibility to go after Anthony or James in free agency while still being able to match any offer sheet Parsons signs."

It would be interesting to see if RC and POP would even entertain the idea of trying to bring in a player like this to possibly challenge Danny Green in the small forward position or possibly be used to back up Kawhi.

I realize it is highly unlikely Houston would even allow Parsons to entertain the idea of coming to a in conference and rival team like the Spurs for the mid level. It is also highly unlikely that Parsons would even consider accepting the offer.

I guess anything could be possible if Houston is busy trying to land bigger fish.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the free agent class, the attainable members of it for the Spurs that is, looks like garbage.

Really disappointed that Kirilenko stayed with the Nets. He would have been perfect, even for the full MLE. His health issues would have been handled with how Pop would have kept his minutes low and given him games off.

Nobody else that's realistic for the MLE looks any good. , some of these guys will get bigger than MLE deals because of how thin the star crop is compared to cap room available, like Josh McRoberts. Marvin Williams might be able to squeeze a full mid-level or even more. Pau might get more from Dallas or Miami. Same with Marion. Don't think the Spurs can pay those guys what they can command.

Some of the other interesting players are restricted, like Ed Davis or Patrick Patterson or PJ Tucker, maybe Udoh, and I don't think the MLE would be enough to scare off their old teams.

A bunch of old scrubs is pretty much all that's left: Jefferson, Caron Butler, Danny Granger, Kenyon Martin, Rashard Lewis ...

It's so dire I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs don't even use their exceptions and just put money into keeping their guys.

Too bad Bruno's not around, maybe he would have some free agent Euros who would be possibilities to bring over.

The free agent possibilities are so poor it actually makes me want to see the Spurs sign some of the foreign second rounders even more. Sign a guy like Bertans now using part of the MLE, so it's not an issue of having to worry about space or room exceptions for him when they do have a ton of cap room after Duncan and Ginobili retire. Not that he would cost a lot, but the MLE could allow for longer deal. The leftover of the MLE should be enough to cover whatever unremarkable vet they have to sign to cover any free agency losses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is chandler parsons a ufa?
    No he is restricted. That's why Houston chose to deny his contract option. His cap hold is still small and it doesn't affect much Houston's cap situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
    Once they acquired Elfrid Payton on draft night, Magic pulled back tender that would have made E'Twaun Moore restricted free agent. UFA now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure the spurs FO are going to commit long term money to patty or Boris. I think they want to keep cap flexibility to bring in free agents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a misconception to say that Josh McRoberts would be unnecessary because he has a game similar to Boris Diaw's-- their main similarity is in being great passers, and McRoberts actually has a better assist to turnover rate than Diaw or anyone in the entire league other than Chris Paul, which means he has a better assist to turnover rate than 29 of the 30 starting point guards and all of the back up point guards in the NBA. That's a pretty impressive accomplishment for a 6'10" power forward. Unlike having too many scorers, there's really no such thing as having "too many" good passers on the floor at the same time. Not in the Spurs' system. And it's clear that the Spurs feel this way too, because they drafted Kyle Anderson, who is yet another player in that same mold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a misconception to say that Josh McRoberts would be unnecessary because he has a game similar to Boris Diaw's-- their main similarity is in being great passers, and McRoberts actually has a better assist to turnover rate than Diaw or anyone in the entire league other than Chris Paul, which means he has a better assist to turnover rate than 29 of the 30 starting point guards and all of the back up point guards in the NBA. That's a pretty impressive accomplishment for a 6'10" power forward. Unlike having too many scorers, there's really no such thing as having "too many" good passers on the floor at the same time. Not in the Spurs' system. And it's clear that the Spurs feel this way too, because they drafted Kyle Anderson, who is yet another player in that same mold.
    Well it's nice an all but he also played with the number one low post player in the league so let's not act let he's some passing prodigy either...

McRoberts would be very hard to get... The Suns, the Rockets and probably some other teams would give him more than the MLE and a bigger role... Seriously doubt you can sell McRoberts on being a MLE player and a 4th big... That seems so unlikely that I don't get why he's talked about so much...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it's nice an all but he also played with the number one low post player in the league so let's not act let he's some passing prodigy either...

McRoberts would be very hard to get... The Suns, the Rockets and probably some other teams would give him more than the MLE and a bigger role... Seriously doubt you can sell McRoberts on being a MLE player and a 4th big... That seems so unlikely that I don't get why he's talked about so much...
    As for his passing, he's as good as it gets for a big man. He had the best assist of the year IMO

There's no way he gets more than the MLE IMO, and even the full MLE (~$5m) seems like a bit of a stretch for him if it's for multiple years. The reason he gets talked about is exactly because he won't be commanding a big deal, and is likely attainable for $5m/1yr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for his passing, he's as good as it gets for a big man. He had the best assist of the year IMO

There's no way he gets more than the MLE IMO, and even the full MLE (~$5m) seems like a bit of a stretch for him if it's for multiple years. The reason he gets talked about is exactly because he won't be commanding a big deal, and is likely attainable for $5m/1yr.
    So he'd be fine fine with being a 4th big for a sub-MLE salary? Ok let's revisit that once the off-season is over...

Thread Information