Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it's nice an all but he also played with the number one low post player in the league so let's not act let he's some passing prodigy either...

McRoberts would be very hard to get... The Suns, the Rockets and probably some other teams would give him more than the MLE and a bigger role... Seriously doubt you can sell McRoberts on being a MLE player and a 4th big... That seems so unlikely that I don't get why he's talked about so much...

I've watched him play quite a bit and I'd say he is a passing prodigy for a 6'10" PF. I agree that in most cases the offer of 3rd or 4th big wouldn't necessarily be too appealing, but the Spurs are an unusual case. They play a deeper bench than most teams and have an aging superstar PF/C whose coach wants to rest him as much as possible in the regular season. If Duncan averages 25 mpg next year and Splitter and Diaw average the same mpg as last season, that leaves 25 mpg for McRoberts... not too different from his 30 mpg last season with Charlotte. I don't think he'll get the higher money offers because his scoring average is low for a starter-- that's a built in bias that most nba teams have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he'd be fine fine with being a 4th big for a sub-MLE salary? Ok let's revisit that once the off-season is over...
    Im not saying someone won't offer him the full MLE for multiple years, but they'll regret it. I think 4th big on a championship contender is about his level tbh, any team giving him a bigger role won't be winning many games.

I think a good contract for him would be around $10m/3yr, which is why I think we should consider offering him $5m/1yr. Less guaranteed money but it's a 50% bump in per year salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he'd be fine fine with being a 4th big for a sub-MLE salary? Ok let's revisit that once the off-season is over...
    I think he'd start, honestly.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, that is saying a lot, you really do like this guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Even if they started Diaw, they'd literally split minutes in the regular season anyway, so it wouldn't really matter. And because he's young and wouldn't be one of their three most important bigs, he'd probably end up eating up the 2nd most total minutes amongst bigs in the regular season, the way Belinelli did amongst the wings.

I expect him to re-sign, but if the Spurs come calling and offer him that role, at the MLE, they'd probably have a near 50% chance. They could also sell him on them not having a long term answer at PF (not that he'd be it, obviously; but he wouldn't know that). The Hornets have two recent lottery picks to contend with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's worth debating tbh as I'm convinced they can't sign both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy and Tiago will be our starting bigs next year regardless of who we sign.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Even if they started Diaw, they'd literally split minutes in the regular season anyway, so it wouldn't really matter. And because he's young and wouldn't be one of their three most important bigs, he'd probably end up eating up the 2nd most total minutes amongst bigs in the regular season, the way Belinelli did amongst the wings.

I expect him to re-sign, but if the Spurs come calling and offer him that role, at the MLE, they'd probably have a near 50% chance. They could also sell him on them not having a long term answer at PF (not that he'd be it, obviously; but he wouldn't know that). The Hornets have two recent lottery picks to contend with.
    I kinda think it might have a chance since most teams are going to be chasing Lebron, Carmelo, they won't be signing anyone. We could come out quick and make the above case plus his game is like Anderson he would do so well here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy and Tiago will be our starting bigs next year regardless of who we sign.
    The Spurs would not pour $4 Million-plus into the PF position in one off-season just to start two centers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would not pour $4 Million-plus into the PF position in one off-season just to start two centers.
    We paid Bonner $4m last year for exactly that. I guess neither of us knows for sure, but if we did bring in McRoberts he would be a direct replacement for Bonner as the 4th big and to get minutes while the other bigs rest.

I don't see any way we don't start Timmy/Tiago next year. While I agree with you it does hinder Kawhi somewhat, we need to become a good team playing big if we are to go up against Portland, Dallas or Clippers in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We paid Bonner $4m last year for exactly that. I guess neither of us knows for sure, but if we did bring in McRoberts he would be a direct replacement for Bonner as the 4th big and to get minutes while the other bigs rest.

I don't see any way we don't start Timmy/Tiago next year. While I agree with you it does hinder Kawhi somewhat, we need to become a good team playing big if we are to go up against Portland, Dallas or Clippers in the playoffs.
    I mean $40 Million-plus.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA times reporting that pau gasol will meet with the thunder, the bulls, and the warriors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McBob had a great year, but he is no Diaw. The more I look the FAs, the more I want to keep Diaw, even if SA needs to overpay a bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean $40 Million-plus.
    Where's $40m of PF coming from? I only want McRoberts for one season at $5m, Diaw will get max $25m/4yr. If Bonner comes back it's for the minimum and just one year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's $40m of PF coming from? I only want McRoberts for one season at $5m, Diaw will get max $25m/4yr. If Bonner comes back it's for the minimum and just one year.
    Why do you keep acting like it's only your opinion of contracts that matters? McRoberts probably wouldn't sign a one-year deal. If the Spurs pick him up, it would be for a good deal of money over multiple years. They wouldn't pay him that to be a second PF off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you keep acting like it's only your opinion of contracts that matters? McRoberts probably wouldn't sign a one-year deal. If the Spurs pick him up, it would be for a good deal of money over multiple years. They wouldn't pay him that to be a second PF off the bench.
    Well obviously in the discussion I'm only going to use my opinion on contract valuations, what else would you expect? I'm not clairvoyant, I don't know what any of these players will earn in future, I'm just estimating what is best for both the players and Spurs.

If McRoberts wants multiple years, which is a strong possibility, I don't think the Spurs would pick him up to begin with. I think it's clear from the structuring of Splitters contract and signing Ayres and Belinelli to only 2 year deals shows that they are targeting free agency in 2015, if McRoberts gets multiple years it won't be from us (at least not guaranteed).

In fact I think your whole point is contradictory to begin with. You say Spurs wouldn't pay him a multi-year deal to come off the bench as the 2nd PF, so he'd be starting in the place of Tiago. In that case, they'll be paying Diaw or Splitter more money to do the same thing. If he came for the full MLE, he'd be the 4th highest paid big man, so why wouldn't he be the 4th big as Bonner was this year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YES!!

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AlexKennedyNBA: After being waived, sources say that Jameer Nelson wants to join a contender. At this point in his career, winning is most important to him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ed Davis for the full MLE. Move Ayers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mills bolted?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard talk of the Spurs one of many teams interested in Rashard Lewis?

Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
    Heat free agent forward Rashard Lewis is expecting interest from Miami, Indiana, Oklahoma City, Toronto and San Antonio, a source said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After drafting Anderson, guaranteeing Daye's contract and making a QO to Baynes, the Spurs are very unlikely to spend the MLE, unless they lose Mills or Diaw. 14 roster spots taken.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard talk of the Spurs one of many teams interested in Rashard Lewis?

Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
    Heat free agent forward Rashard Lewis is expecting interest from Miami, Indiana, Oklahoma City, Toronto and San Antonio, a source said.
    Great mentor for Slomo

Thread Information