Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ed Davis will not exercise his player option for 2015-16 and will be a free agent this summer.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2015...urple-and-gold

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ed Davis will not exercise his player option for 2015-16 and will be a free agent this summer.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2015...urple-and-gold
    It was pretty obvious. If he plays well, the Lakers will give him a decent deal like they did with Nick Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203114/stats/

Khris Middleton just keeps playing better & better... here are his #s for 6 games in February:

16.7 ppg, 7 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.7 spg. And despite playing more mpg (34) than in previous months, both his turnover per game and fouls per game numbers are down.

He also has the best defensive rating of any SG in the league, and by a pretty good margin (it helps that he sometimes plays at the SF position): http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/2

It's kind of amazing that he's not a bigger story... but playing in Milwaukee is kind of like playing in San Antonio in terms of media coverage.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton is pretty high on my list - Fills the wing need that a Manu retirement would lead to, and can play 3 wing lineups type options and switch + have spacing.

He's is up to 6th in RPM. It will be interesting to see if the Bucks dumping Knight for MCW was because they only want to pay one of those guys, or the new owners are cheap enough to let him go as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton is pretty high on my list - Fills the wing need that a Manu retirement would lead to, and can play 3 wing lineups type options and switch + have spacing.

He's is up to 6th in RPM. It will be interesting to see if the Bucks dumping Knight for MCW was because they only want to pay one of those guys, or the new owners are cheap enough to let him go as well.
    In my opinion, the Bucks money-balled Knight's upcoming contract in large part to make sure they keep Middleton. I don't think I've ever see an SL will this sort of length. Imagine if they would have drafted Gobert or Tavarres to play the five.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my opinion, the Bucks money-balled Knight's upcoming contract in large part to make sure they keep Middleton. I don't think I've ever see an SL will this sort of length. Imagine if they would have drafted Gobert or Tavarres to play the five.
    Sadly, I have to agree. He was my favorite free agent target for the Spurs, but now it looks like the Bucks should have little trouble making a good offer to keep him. I think they were wise choosing a 2 way playing swing guy like Middleton over a PG like Knight too. Defensively, they're going to become even more elite with the long arms of Middleton, Giannis, & Michael Carter-Williams guarding opposing players...

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's the Bucks thinking aswell. There was a NBAcouchside / talking practice / twelve point courier twitter convo on similar lines ( https://twitter.com/talkingpractice/...77154384801792 )

Any other ideas, other than Kyle O'Quinn?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's the Bucks thinking aswell. There was a NBAcouchside / talking practice / twelve point courier twitter convo on similar lines ( https://twitter.com/talkingpractice/...77154384801792 )

Any other ideas, other than Kyle O'Quinn?
    First FA option continues to be throw the money at Marc Gasol... Assuming he doesn't take it, it really depends who retires, and who we draft...

Regarding an option at 2 other than Middleton, well, my previous suggestion was Landry Fields for the vet min. He does the small stuff, has always been a good WP/48 player and may have fixed his shot... Worth a minimum contract.

My best guess at our needs
    Assume we can resign all of Kawhi, Danny, Tim and Manu (the last 2 on cheaper contracts, I assume...), that leaves us with
    bigs - Tiago, Tim, Boris
    wings - Kawhi, Green, Manu, Anderson
    PG - Parker, Mills,

9 of 15 roster spots. Need at least 2 bigs, 1 wing, and maybe a PG...

If Duncan retires, it's blow it up time. If Manu retires, we need another creative type, unless Anderson starts to really impress (a thought: Anderson at the 2/3 as creator a la Manu, and Mills at the 1 would allow Mills to keep functioning as a small SG).

We will have at least 1 draft pick. If Tim doesn't retire, I would strongly consider trying to trade a lottery protected 2016 pick to the Sixers for a pick in this draft (assuming there is someone we like at the spot available). For us, it's a stronger draft, and it could be higher than the pick we are trading... The Sixers are currently holding the Rockets pick, the Heat pick, their own pick, and potentially the lakers pick. Also they have Saric potentially coming over. It's too many rookies for them to absorb easily into a already very young team. They might be willing to let go of the heat pick if Hinkie doesn't see someone he really likes at that spot in the draft, in return for getting a future first as a asset. There are potentially valuable players in our draft range in this draft. Unless Frank Kaminsky has a surprisingly strong combine, he might fall to us as uber-atheletes get bigged up over bball players. Kris Dunn might be there. Delon Wright or Jerian Grant would be interesting as creatively capable 2's.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still trying to wrap my mind around what the Sixers are doing. I get the asset thing, but at a certain point there going to have start flipping some interesting pieces. After this draft night they might find themselves with Okafor, Embiid, and Noel on the same roster. That's wild, but also unsustainable

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still trying to wrap my mind around what the Sixers are doing. I get the asset thing, but at a certain point there going to have start flipping some interesting pieces. After this draft night they might find themselves with Okafor, Embiid, and Noel on the same roster. That's wild, but also unsustainable
    I'm thinking that they're trying to get as many high draft picks as possible in a 3-4 year time frame, and use the rookie contracts to find out who's worth keeping around. It's a decent strategy: given enough tries they might stumble upon a Westbrook/Harden combo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the sixers are pathetic. i heard MJ turned down an unprotected 2nd for a 1st and the trademark to the bobcats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking that they're trying to get as many high draft picks as possible in a 3-4 year time frame, and use the rookie contracts to find out who's worth keeping around. It's a decent strategy: given enough tries they might stumble upon a Westbrook/Harden combo.
    its year 3 and they really don't have a star to show for their tanking yet. Embiid could be very good but he's red shirting and it could take 2 years before we get an idea of how good he can be. Noel, from what i've heard, has the ceiling of an above average starter. Its one thing to tank and acquire and hoard picks but there is no end in site. It could be another 3 years before they are compe ive (like Utah who is bad but average margin is -1)

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's year 2 of the tanking under Hinkie, they tried and failed on Bynum the year before, and sucked, but not the tank job under Hinkie.

They have
    Embiid
    Noel
    Saric(2016?)

As current early picks as a core.

They also have Grant, Covington, Hollis Thompson and Henry Sims as back rotation guys , and have added a bunch of picks in the tenure. (Own pick back from Orlando(Payton), Lakers pick(MCW), OKC pick (McGee) and Miami pick(Thad)), plus the hundreds of second round picks to gamble for depth.

It's possible they don't go anywhere. But They should have a ~ top 3 pick(Could fall, but Mudiay/Russell/Towns are in play), plus the ~12th to 16th (Miami, Kaminsky or someone), ~20th (OKC, get Anderson, Dunn, Trey Lyles or similar) and will have a future Lakers pick to add depth.

Also, they have a ton of cap space, as a result of their guys being on rookie deals.

It's possible that they stay hoarding, or guys fail. But the blueprint is pretty clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not good with the whole #'s/salaries, but what could our team like if Gasol (hypothetically) agreed to join, & TD/Manu agree to come back for another year. Who would need to be possibly cut/traded from our current team to make #'s match? Green/Splitter?

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like there is going to be no cap smoothing after next season. Looking at an increase of maybe 20 million in one year. How does affect free agency this year? Are any spurs going to be wanting to do 1 year deals?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's year 2 of the tanking under Hinkie, they tried and failed on Bynum the year before, and sucked, but not the tank job under Hinkie.

They have
    Embiid
    Noel
    Saric(2016?)

As current early picks as a core.

They also have Grant, Covington, Hollis Thompson and Henry Sims as back rotation guys , and have added a bunch of picks in the tenure. (Own pick back from Orlando(Payton), Lakers pick(MCW), OKC pick (McGee) and Miami pick(Thad)), plus the hundreds of second round picks to gamble for depth.

It's possible they don't go anywhere. But They should have a ~ top 3 pick(Could fall, but Mudiay/Russell/Towns are in play), plus the ~12th to 16th (Miami, Kaminsky or someone), ~20th (OKC, get Anderson, Dunn, Trey Lyles or similar) and will have a future Lakers pick to add depth.

Also, they have a ton of cap space, as a result of their guys being on rookie deals.

It's possible that they stay hoarding, or guys fail. But the blueprint is pretty clear.
    I get that they're hoarding assets. But at what point do you start building the team? If they get the number one/two pick, and are staring at Okafor or Towns do they really pick a 3rd talented (and redundant) big just to hoard assets?

They must have a really patient fan base.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like there is going to be no cap smoothing after next season. Looking at an increase of maybe 20 million in one year. How does affect free agency this year? Are any spurs going to be wanting to do 1 year deals?
    What will Leonard do? He could opt just to take the qualifying offer like Greg Monroe did and become an unrestricted free agent in 2016.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What will Leonard do? He could opt just to take the qualifying offer like Greg Monroe did and become an unrestricted free agent in 2016.
    No chance, thats a ridiculous risk for a player who hasn't had his big pay day yet. Imagine how much money Rose would have lost if he did that? Think about how much money Wes Matthews is going to lose because of his Achilles injury

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That almost never happens, and when it does, there's a bad relationship between the player and organization. I can only remember 3 players doing it: Rasho, Olowokandi, and Monroe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That almost never happens, and when it does, there's a bad relationship between the player and organization. I can only remember 3 players doing it: Rasho, Olowokandi, and Monroe.
    Let's hope that means he won't take the qualifying offer and the Spurs keep Leonard in San Antonio long term.
    Last edited by TXstbobcat; 03-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's hope that means he won't take the qualifying offer and the Spurs keep Leonard in San Antonio long term.
    I don't expect Leonard to not take the qualifying offer, but it does bring in some interesting possibilities with Green.

ter McGee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The market for Teletovic is tough to pin down. The blood clot adds a health variable, and Brooklyn could be in tax trouble should both Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young opt into their contracts for next season. That could make Brooklyn reluctant to hand out the $4.2 million qualifying offer required to keep matching rights on Teletovic. Young and Teletovic also have somewhat overlapping skill sets, though Young is not on Teletovic’s level as a shooter and the Nets could play them together in funky, position-less lineups.Most execs expect Lopez to opt out and enter free agency after rampaging across the league over the last month. Random thing: Watch the Spurs on Teletovic.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Makes me wonder if Lowe somehow knows something or just thinks the Spurs are the type of team that would target Teletovic. Probably the latter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just reading the article. Lowe is pretty plugged in, but I think it is maybe more speculation at this point.

I think he's seeing that Bonner is a free agent, and Teletovic could be a natural replacement for that stretch big position. Seems like a smart move to me. It's time for Matty to move to the front office anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 YO. Blood clots. Never logged an average PER of 15.0 in 3 years. I'll pass on Teletovic.

Thread Information