Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously if we bring over LJC or draft a defensive wing then hhe's not needed, but Thabo is an excellent 3&D player whenhis sshot is falling. A 1 year deal as insurance for injury or foul trouble is good value at $4m.

I don't see what else we can do with the MLE if we want to keep cap space for next summer. Most useful players will want multi year deals.

Add to that the fact that it would really hamper okcs defense it seems like a no brainer to me
    I'd like the Spurs to add a defensive forward as much as anyone here. But Sef is more of a wing, anyway. I couldn't imagine him playing the small-ball four, which is really the spot where the Spurs need another defender. I'd hate for Sef to take minutes from the current wing rotation.

If the Spurs are looking for a fifth wing, I'd much rather it be a young one like Bertans who doesn't threaten the rotation while also having upside. Jean-Charles would be ideal, but he's staying over until at least 2015.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC tried to dump him at the deadline. That's gotta hurt. They want his salary gone. They still have another year of Perk on the books.

Remember, OKC is the team that apparently salary dumped Harden over 1-2M per year. They have drawn the line in the sand, and absolutely will NOT PAY THE TAX.
    Won't the tax be going up along with the salary cap this summer? Assuming they won't be near the tax evenwwith him.

Almost makes it worse for the Thunder. Not sure if the cap rise was predictable, but they could afford to keep Harden at the max and stay under the tax with current projections

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC tried to dump him at the deadline. That's gotta hurt. They want his salary gone. They still have another year of Perk on the books.

Remember, OKC is the team that apparently salary dumped Harden over 1-2M per year. They have drawn the line in the sand, and absolutely will NOT PAY THE TAX.
    If the Spurs can close out the WCF, I think we'll see OKC go into the tax next year. Simply put, they don't have enough to get over the hump (mostly due to coaching, but still, their depth is terrible). They'll need to add an MLE-caliber player to their rotation, but none of the realistic MLE available are wings of Sef's mold. I think they'll probably try to sign the best big that they can and keep Thabo in his role. Things could chance in the draft of course, but as of now, that would be their best strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't the tax be going up along with the salary cap this summer? Assuming they won't be near the tax evenwwith him.

Almost makes it worse for the Thunder. Not sure if the cap rise was predictable, but they could afford to keep Harden at the max and stay under the tax with current projections
    Nah, they'll actually be up against the tax again this year. People thinking the Thunder could keep Harden and stay under the tax with the cap increases aren't looking at the numbers correctly. OKC would be absolutely adjacent to the tax had they amnestied Perk and kept Snaggle-Tooth. We're talking about $59M/$75M (tax for next year) devoted to four players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs can close out the WCF, I think we'll see OKC go into the tax next year. Simply put, they don't have enough to get over the hump (mostly due to coaching, but still, their depth is terrible). They'll need to add an MLE-caliber player to their rotation, but none of the realistic MLE available are wings of Sef's mold. I think they'll probably try to sign the best big that they can and keep Thabo in his role. Things could chance in the draft of course, but as of now, that would be their best strategy.
    Fairy tale thinking. I think if they go over the tax to sign roster pieces, the public will riot, hang Clayton Bennett, and burn the body for letting Harden go. You don't back off that stance once you've salary dumped an All Star player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do have two first rounders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fairy tale thinking. I think if they go over the tax to sign roster pieces, the public will riot, hang Clayton Bennett, and burn the body for letting Harden go. You don't back off that stance once you've salary dumped an All Star player.
    People will be more upset if OKC can't find a way to win before Durant hits FA. They need legit mid-level talent to do that. They'll have to man up and get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what they'll do if Durant walks because he doesn't feel like his FO did everything they could to help him win a ring.. '

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do have two first rounders.
    Yeah, which is why it's borderline impossible for them to stay under the tax next season. They also have to be concerned that Jackson and Adams are the only recent draft picks in their rotation. There's nothing to say they'll get the help they need in June.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the Spurs don't have any great rookie contract once Kawhi is extended which is why they could/should really trade for another pick, these contracts are extremely important nowadays...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the Spurs don't have any great rookie contract once Kawhi is extended which is why they could/should really trade for another pick, these contracts are extremely important nowadays...
    The Spurs are one of the teams for which they matter the least, as they have a core locked up with no huge contracts on the books. They'd become important again in 2015 if the Spurs max out Kawhi and sign another max player. Teams that are nearly taxed-out like OKC and Indiana depend on the deals (which is why the Pacers trading away two of them was idiotic).

That's not to say the Spurs wouldn't take a great rookie contract, obviously. But they don't have any salary pressure to prioritize it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, which is why it's borderline impossible for them to stay under the tax next season. They also have to be concerned that Jackson and Adams are the only recent draft picks in their rotation. There's nothing to say they'll get the help they need in June.
    They have 11 players under contract for next year, and are at about $68M. If the tax is as rumored around $75M, two picks in the 20s won't come close to putting them over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have 11 players under contract for next year, and are at about $68M. If the tax is as rumored around $75M, two picks in the 20s won't come close to putting them over.
    You're right. But they clearly don't trust their ability to develop their rookies. That's why they'll probably go for some vets, who will cost money. Accounting for their pick-holds, they should have about an MLE's worth of salary to give if they want to stay under the tax. It's going to be hard for them to both address their clear weaknesses, replace Sef AND stay under the tax. I honestly don't think OKC will be able to pull it off, and if they prioritize the tax again, they'll probably end up wasting another one of Durant's years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thunder absolutely could afford to have kept Harden if they were willing to amnesty Perkins. Durant/Russ/Harden/Ibaka will earn $62m next year. They'd comfortably be under the cap with the rest of their contracts next year (no Adams or Lamb too).

I don't think the tax is the reason, they were just top cheap to amnesty Perkins. Even so, they should have paid someone a load of picks to take him if it meant keeping Harden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how you think having only $13 Million to spend on nine to 11 players is fine. I don't see that as being feasible, especially if they want to supplement then with any vets. That doesn't even account for the fact that the max deals increase faster than the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read on Kevin Love's free agency and the Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...nlikely-suitor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I doubt the Spurs would be interested. He quite literally plays no defense. It would be like re-booting the 2010 team all over. If we got 8-10 points behind, it would be over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how you think having only $13 Million to spend on nine to 11 players is fine. I don't see that as being feasible, especially if they want to supplement then with any vets. That doesn't even account for the fact that the max deals increase faster than the cap.
    They'd still have Collison, Jackson and PJIII signed through next year for a total of 5.5m and a first round pick this year around $1m. That'd give them 8 players and still keep them 6.5m below the tax, plenty for a few vet min contracts to fill out the roster.

Even if they get too close to the tax in sub sequent years (although Durant would only have 1 year left after next) they would have had 2 more years of Harden, likely a le or two and could still move Harden if they want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't trade Splitter for Love. It's not that Love isn't the better player (by far). It's that Love would be no where near as effective without a player of Splitter's defensive talent next to him. A Parker/Green/Leonard/Love/Splitter SL is incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball. If the Spurs could add a suitable bench around Diaw, then they could make some noise for years to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd rather throw the kitchen sink at Marc Gasol than Love

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'd still have Collison, Jackson and PJIII signed through next year for a total of 5.5m and a first round pick this year around $1m. That'd give them 8 players and still keep them 6.5m below the tax, plenty for a few vet min contracts to fill out the roster.

Even if they get too close to the tax in sub sequent years (although Durant would only have 1 year left after next) they would have had 2 more years of Harden, likely a le or two and could still move Harden if they want.
    Perry Jones isn't really an asset right now. I don't think he'd be something they'd count on. They'd have to hope their vet-min players were the types who could play big roles and spot-start and not the ones like Fisher who's a glorified mascot. That's the problem. They'd have no way to add the MLE talent they need to fill out their roster. Miami supplemented their stars with six mid-level players (two with cap space, two with Bird rights and two with the mMLE). OKC wouldn't have the ability to add one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't like Gasol as an FA target. The Spurs need to go in a different direction with their PF once Tim retires. The two-C system is antiquated and only works now due to Tiago's quickness, which is expected to decline as he ages. The Spurs won't be able to be the same team they are now when they lose 21. It's not going to even be close.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't trade Splitter for Love. It's not that Love isn't the better player (by far). It's that Love would be no where near as effective without a player of Splitter's defensive talent next to him. A Parker/Green/Leonard/Love/Splitter SL is incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball. If the Spurs could add a suitable bench around Diaw, then they could make some noise for years to come.
    This is basically my thinking on Love. I also think it's easier to get him to sign and play with the lineup above than to trade for him with Splitter(and other assets: LJC, a couple first round picks) and say Baynes/Love/Kawhi/Green/TP with none of prospects or future firsts to give him more help. San Antonio clearly isn't the most attractive city for players, and staying for a slightly below le caliber team just doesn't seem worth it.

That lineup would be excellent. People complain about Kawhi not getting enough post ups, but if the double comes and the result is a reset or kicking out to Tim for a mid range shot, it's not a great result. If that turns out to Kick out to Love for a 3 the offence is devastating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perry Jones isn't really an asset right now. I don't think he'd be something they'd count on. They'd have to hope their vet-min players were the types who could play big roles and spot-start and not the ones like Fisher who's a glorified mascot. That's the problem. They'd have no way to add the MLE talent they need to fill out their roster. Miami supplemented their stars with six mid-level players (two with cap space, two with Bird rights and two with the mMLE). OKC wouldn't have the ability to add one.
    They simply wouldn't need to if they had their big 4 w/ Collinson and Jackson. Maybe another big ala Baynes but they'd go small as often as possible. That roster filled with minimum players is a championship winner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is basically my thinking on Love. I also think it's easier to get him to sign and play with the lineup above than to trade for him with Splitter(and other assets: LJC, a couple first round picks) and say Baynes/Love/Kawhi/Green/TP with none of prospects or future firsts to give him more help. San Antonio clearly isn't the most attractive city for players, and staying for a slightly below le caliber team just doesn't seem worth it.

That lineup would be excellent. People complain about Kawhi not getting enough post ups, but if the double comes and the result is a reset or kicking out to Tim for a mid range shot, it's not a great result. If that turns out to Kick out to Love for a 3 the offence is devastating.
    I'd take Splitter/Gasol over Love/Baynes. Marc can hit the mid range like Timmy and if anything could be a better passer than Duncan so we wouldn't miss a beat offensively. He's a better defender too so while we'd obviously be losing a lot in the locker room and leadership, I don't think we lose much on the floor.

Splitter/Gasol/Kawhi could be the best defensive front court in the league and is by far the best 2 way front court IMO.

I also think Gasol is far more attainable.

Thread Information