Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They simply wouldn't need to if they had their big 4 w/ Collinson and Jackson. Maybe another big ala Baynes but they'd go small as often as possible. That roster filled with minimum players is a championship winner
    That roster got beat by the Heat in five games. They probably would have lost last year as well and may well have lost this year. Miami is a horrible match-up for OKC. Add to that that OKC would have a major weakness to post bigs (even bigger than they currently do) and I wouldn't say they'd be a lock at all.

While being strong on top is essential for being a contender, you also need a strong, reliable 5-8. Even if Collison and an undeveloped Jackson were good enough to be in there, they'd have no one else behind them. With the way Westbrook and Ibaka have been injured, I don't think they would be very strong at all.

Also, had OKC kept Harden and amnestied Perkins, they'd be over the tax THIS year unless they traded away Sef and replaced him with a min player or did away with Collins in the first place. We don't even have to hypothesize about future years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That roster got beat by the Heat in five games. They probably would have lost last year as well and may well have lost this year. Miami is a horrible match-up for OKC. Add to that that OKC would have a major weakness to post bigs (even bigger than they currently do) and I wouldn't say they'd be a lock at all.

While being strong on top is essential for being a contender, you also need a strong, reliable 5-8. Even if Collison and an undeveloped Jackson were good enough to be in there, they'd have no one else behind them. With the way Westbrook and Ibaka have been injured, I don't think they would be very strong at all.

Also, had OKC kept Harden and amnestied Perkins, they'd be over the tax THIS year unless they traded away Sef and replaced him with a min player or did away with Collins in the first place. We don't even have to hypothesize about future years.
    Ask them again they'd gladly dump self and perk for Harden. There's no way we beat that Thunder lineup.

Also its crazy to talk about Ibaka and Russ as injury problems. This is the first significant time Ibaka has ever missed and Westbrook suffered a freak injury after never missing a game going back to high school. By the same token, Lebron could tear an ACL and Miami wouldnt make the ECF. Injuries happen.

Sure they're a bad matchup for Miami, but they're getting worse and the Thunder were a young team only getting better. Maybe the wouldn't win a le, but they'd have a much better chance than they do now IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask them again they'd gladly dump self and perk for Harden. There's no way we beat that Thunder lineup.

Also its crazy to talk about Ibaka and Russ as injury problems. This is the first significant time Ibaka has ever missed and Westbrook suffered a freak injury after never missing a game going back to high school. By the same token, Lebron could tear an ACL and Miami wouldnt make the ECF. Injuries happen.

Sure they're a bad matchup for Miami, but they're getting worse and the Thunder were a young team only getting better. Maybe the wouldn't win a le, but they'd have a much better chance than they do now IMO.
    Westbrook's and Ibaka's injuries aren't hypotheticals. They actually did happen, and the Thunder actually are struggling to deal with them. They would struggle even more if all they had were min players behind them. No team can handle a major injury to a star player, but contenders shouldn't completely fall apart because they lost their third-best player. OKC's margin of error is razor thin as it is, and it'd be microscopically thin had they gotten rid of all their mid-level contracts for another max.

A Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka core is no doubt scary. But it also has some major weaknesses. I think they'd be a big handful for the Spurs offensively, but there's no team in the league with the horses to contain that lineup like San Antonio. Defensively, though, they'd be a sieve. Perkins guarding Duncan changed the 2012 series. With only Collins on the team to guard Tim, I don't think it'd be pretty. Harden or Westbrook would have to guard Parker, and neither of them are the defenders 2012 Sef was. Even if they (probably Russ) could do it, that'd cut down on their offensive production. Even on offense, Westbrook/Durant/Harden would still fight for shots. KD would not have hit his MVP stride. There'd likely be no Action Jackson. They'd only have one strong screener instead of three.

A smart team like the 2014 Spurs, especially with a mature Medium Three, would have a very strong chance to beating that OKC. Talent-wise, the Thunder would be far superior. But I don't think they'd be able to manifest that unless they happened to get a better coach along the way and some big help with vet-min deals.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't trade Splitter for Love. It's not that Love isn't the better player (by far). It's that Love would be no where near as effective without a player of Splitter's defensive talent next to him. A Parker/Green/Leonard/Love/Splitter SL is incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball. If the Spurs could add a suitable bench around Diaw, then they could make some noise for years to come.
    How or what could the Spurs offer that they would take to get the team you mention above?
    I think they would have to part with at least Green. TD and Manu are untradable, they will retire here.
    That just leaves Baynes, Belli, Mills (would like to keep him), Daye, Bonner, Ayers, Joseph, a few European stashes, and their three 2014 draft picks.
    I would like to see this happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How or what could the Spurs offer that they would take to get the team you mention above?
    I think they would have to part with at least Green. TD and Manu are untradable, they will retire here.
    That just leaves Baynes, Belli, Mills (would like to keep him), Daye, Bonner, Ayers, Joseph, a few European stashes, and their three 2014 draft picks.
    I would like to see this happen.
    We're talking about the Spurs acquiring him in 2015 free agency. No need for a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Pick @IAmDPick
    Colorado alumnus and Israeli-League No. 1 scorer Carlon Brown (@CarlonAutentico) is going to camp with the San Antonio Spurs.

<font color="#292D33"><span style="font-family: Arial">

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a fine candidate for a glue guy/13th man. Would prefer Denmon in that role, but still intrigued about Brown. I hope he plays in the summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What nine players do you really need if your big four is Durant, Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook?

13 mill is fine. Buy 3 2nd rounders, draft your late 1st. You've got 10 mill for 5. Take the best summer league standout and 4 cheap fisher-like vets.

But I actually love the harden deal. I don't know how everybody says okc isn't deep. Outside they're big 3... Jackson, Adams, Lamb, Jones, Roberson all have potential. Then Butler, Perkins, Fisher, Sefalosha, Collison are all Bonner+ level role players.

They're problem is Brooks and mental toughness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What nine players do you really need if your big four is Durant, Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook?

13 mill is fine. Buy 3 2nd rounders, draft your late 1st. You've got 10 mill for 5. Take the best summer league standout and 4 cheap fisher-like vets.

But I actually love the harden deal. I don't know how everybody says okc isn't deep. Outside they're big 3... Jackson, Adams, Lamb, Jones, Roberson all have potential. Then Butler, Perkins, Fisher, Sefalosha, Collison are all Bonner+ level role players.

They're problem is Brooks and mental toughness.
    I dunno how you could make this post right after seeing that OKC couldn't beat the Spurs relying on just four guys. Also note that there would have been no Perkins or Adams to check Duncan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top priorities for the Spurs this offseason...

1. Re-sign Diaw- he's a Swiss army knife, he does everything well
    2. Sign Kawhi to an extension- face of the franchise going forward
    3. Re-sign Patty- his scoring off the bench this season was huge
    4. Draft another offensive facilitator- I personally like Bogdanovic or Clarkson
    5. Draft or sign an actual SF to back up Kawhi- I like Inglis in the draft or signing Sefolosha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thunder didn't win and it's obvious they've got problems. And im with you in celebration about that. But I think you underestimate the beauty of what it is they've got right.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top priorities for the Spurs this offseason...

1. Re-sign Diaw- he's a Swiss army knife, he does everything well
    2. Sign Kawhi to an extension- face of the franchise going forward
    3. Re-sign Patty- his scoring off the bench this season was huge
    4. Draft another offensive facilitator- I personally like Bogdanovic or Clarkson
    5. Draft or sign an actual SF to back up Kawhi- I like Inglis in the draft or signing Sefolosha
    I think Thabo could be a great fit in backup role. He battled injury, his shot was just broken this year, and I think the Thunder decision to not have any talks about extension/future role with team going into this season messed with his confidence. You gotta think Chip can help him with his shot (guy was 40%+ from 3 in 2012 and 2013), getting healthy and playing reduce minutes should allow him to return to being a pretty good defender (guy will be 31 next year - old but not washed up), and in the Spurs system shooters get the ball consistently in specific spots where they can be effective.

The best part is there is a good chance his price tag dropped considerably after this season/playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sefolosha is friends with Parker

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eDizzle20's list is spot on, though I'm not sure you do the Leonard extension now unless the team thinks they are locking in a bargain. Thabo would be a solid back up SF.

I think Deng is going to get lower offers than he thinks he's going to get in the open market. Wonder if full MLE would be enough for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eDizzle20's list is spot on, though I'm not sure you do the Leonard extension now unless the team thinks they are locking in a bargain. Thabo would be a solid back up SF.

I think Deng is going to get lower offers than he thinks he's going to get in the open market. Wonder if full MLE would be enough for him?
    Lock up Kawhi now before he becomes a restricted free agent next year, forcing the Spurs to match a team that overpays. Probably not a bargain, but at least a fair market deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lock up Kawhi now before he becomes a restricted free agent next year, forcing the Spurs to match a team that overpays. Probably not a bargain, but at least a fair market deal.
    But what's "fair" to you? A max deal isn't really all that much (although I think it would overpaying by a sizable margin), so it wouldn't really hurt to let him test the market. We've gone over this in other threads, but it could actually help the team to do so. Honestly, I think $11M-12M a year seems like a good deal for both sides. But if he has a really good Finals, there's no way he doesn't take the max.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im waiting to see what happens with Gordon Hayward of the Jazz. I get that Leonard is the better player, but whether a team overpays for Gordon this summer may heighten the spurs' desire to get a deal done early.

Like chinook, I agree that 11-12m sounds reasonable for both parties. Somewhere between Paul George's starting salary (13.7m) and Haywood's future deal (10m?) may be a good landing spot.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno how you could make this post right after seeing that OKC couldn't beat the Spurs relying on just four guys. Also note that there would have been no Perkins or Adams to check Duncan.
    "Couldn't" does not equal "didn't." I saw a 4-0 regular season sweep, 2 playoff blowout wins, and an overtime loss. OKC very much "could" have won this year and then taken home court advantage in the finals. One year more experience for Adams, and one end of rotation shooter in the Austin Daye price range could be enough, particularly adding a even a slight Brooks adjustment on resting players. Just removing the negativity of Fisher might be enough. Yes, I have the Spurs winning their second in a row in 2015, but once again, the tenth best team in the West will be good and OKC will be better than that tenth team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Deng will be starting at a minimum 10m next year. There are plenty of teams with cap space whom he could help. I think he'd be a great fit on the Hawks for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deng will be starting at a minimum 10m next year. There are plenty of teams with cap space whom he could help. I think he'd be a great fit on the Hawks for example.
    Nobody is going to pay a 30 YO injury prone SF who can't shoot $10M. Danny Ferry isn't that stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any thoughts on Shaun Livingston?

He's likely too expensive and doesn't shoot the three, but I was impressed by him with the Nets this year. He and Miles Plumlee were the only two guys who seemed to play hard every minute they were in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Shaun Livingston a lot, but some team is going to pay him well this summer. I love the fact that he's overcome such a terrible injury. Shows a lot of character in my book.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Ivan Johnson. He'd be a nice addition for a camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ivan Johnson is ING NUTS. He's a serious basket case.

Thread Information