Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Travis Peterson ‏@TPeterson42 5h First workout done with San Antonio!!! Resting and get ready for it again tomorrow!! #Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be ok with Sefolosha......he needs to regain confidence with his shot, Chip can help with that. He gives effort on the defensive end. And, as another poster previously stated, he has a rapport with Parker. Also, because of a poor postseason and some recent injuries, we could probably get him at a discounted rate..........

keeping Diaw and Mills are priority #1. Then signing Sefolosha would be #2.

If someone like Kyle Anderson is added in the draft, I really would like our roster for next season.

PG: Parker, Mills, Joseph
    SG: Green, Manu, Belinelli,
    SF: Leonard, Sefolosha, Daye
    PF: Duncan, Diaw, Anderson
    C: Splitter, Baynes, Bonner (or someone else)

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip might go to Golden State.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the #1 free agent target for the Spurs this summer should be Josh McRoberts. He's a 3 pt shooter, he plays defense, and he had the highest assist rate of any power forward in the NBA this season: 4.3 apg and 6.8 assists per 48 minutes. His assist to turnover ratio is an incredible 4.01-- again, the best among PFs by a large margin: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...power-forwards

A second team consisting of McRoberts, Diaw, and Ginobili would be one of the best passing line-ups in the league. Paired with Duncan, he'd be an upgrade over Bonner as a stretch 4. And most importantly, he's affordable...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the #1 free agent target for the Spurs this summer should be Josh McRoberts. He's a 3 pt shooter, he plays defense, and he had the highest assist rate of any power forward in the NBA this season: 4.3 apg and 6.8 assists per 48 minutes. His assist to turnover ratio is an incredible 4.01-- again, the best among PFs by a large margin: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...power-forwards

A second team consisting of McRoberts, Diaw, and Ginobili would be one of the best passing line-ups in the league. Paired with Duncan, he'd be an upgrade over Bonner as a stretch 4. And most importantly, he's affordable...
    McRoberts would be another great steal from the Bobcats... nee Hornets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Splitter/Gasol over Love/Baynes. Marc can hit the mid range like Timmy and if anything could be a better passer than Duncan so we wouldn't miss a beat offensively. He's a better defender too so while we'd obviously be losing a lot in the locker room and leadership, I don't think we lose much on the floor.

Splitter/Gasol/Kawhi could be the best defensive front court in the league and is by far the best 2 way front court IMO.

I also think Gasol is far more attainable.
    Hope the championship convinces Gasol to go with the Spurs. Although my gut tells me he'll sign with Memphis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau Gasol has said that he'll consider 4 teams this summer—Spurs, Bulls, Grizzlies, and Lakers.

The Bulls would have to amnesty Boozer to have enough cap space to make a run at Gasol. And even then, they'd probably have to sign him at a discounted rate.

The Grizzlies' making a run at Pau Gasol is predicated on the contract situation of Zach Randolph. He would have to opt out of his current contract and test free agency. And even then, it's fairly certain that keeping him while be priority A1 for Memphis.

That leaves just the Lakers and the Spurs. The Lakers, who own his Bird Rights, of course have more money to throw at Gasol. But Gasol has said that, at this stage of his career, he's more interested in winning championships than earning money. And what better team to make a le run with than the reining NBA champion San Antonio Spurs?

It seems to me that Gasol could easily wind up on the Spurs this offseason. It's just a matter of whether the front office is interested in signing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McRoberts would be a good pick. We need a skullcrushing type, a banger.

I can't see Gasol coming. It's like Karl Malone after '03 - because we won it all he went elsewhere, didn't want to look like a pathetic ringchaser.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the spurs have the room to sign anyone for a decent sum of money.

If Gasol asks for 10m, then he'll be too expensive.

I think Spurs may be able to sign Vince Carter. Vince still looks like he has a little left in the tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want Gasol. Spurs don't really need his post play and he'd be the worst defender on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want Gasol. Spurs don't really need his post play and he'd be the worst defender on the team.
    Gasol is underrated on defense, and is great against the pick and roll. He would make us instantly a legitimate 10 deep with a true 2nd squad that could be a top 5 team in the East. That's pretty insane. Even if his minutes went down and he became more of a matchup big in the playoffs he could give us a lot of good minutes.

Spurs could also take a look at Spencer Hawes (doubtful) but I also like Lavoy Allen as a project big down the line. However, he probably doesn't fit in with our immediate contention picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol sucks defending the PnR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau needs to go to OKC. Gasol for Perkins/Jackson is one of the two fundamental trades that needs to happen this season along with Wade for Bledsoe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol is underrated on defense, and is great against the pick and roll. He would make us instantly a legitimate 10 deep with a true 2nd squad that could be a top 5 team in the East. That's pretty insane. Even if his minutes went down and he became more of a matchup big in the playoffs he could give us a lot of good minutes.

Spurs could also take a look at Spencer Hawes (doubtful) but I also like Lavoy Allen as a project big down the line. However, he probably doesn't fit in with our immediate contention picture.

Spurs will probably be interested in Pau Gasol at a discount or Channing Frye. IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau needs to go to OKC. Gasol for Perkins/Jackson is one of the two fundamental trades that needs to happen this season along with Wade for Bledsoe.
    I don't like either of those trades for the Thunder or Suns. After that showing in the Finals, Bledsoe has so much more value than Wade. I don't know why a young, up tempo team like the Suns would want a Dwyane Wade who can barely play 50 games a season.

As a Spurs fan I'd love to see OKC get Gasol, he's a sieve on defending the pick and roll, they'd lose their only legit 3rd perimieter option offensively and Perkins, for all his faults, is still a great post defender against Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

McRoberts would be a great signing if we let Bonner go. My only worry is again preserving cap space for the summer of 2015, if the front office thinks we can get a top player from that free agent class (Bosh, Love, Gasol etc...) then we need to prioritise that.

I'd happily offer McRobers an $8m/2yr deal with the second year as a team option. Would give us flexibility for 2015 and he'd still get a good enough money to make it worth the likely scenario of only playing one year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like either of those trades for the Thunder or Suns. After that showing in the Finals, Bledsoe has so much more value than Wade. I don't know why a young, up tempo team like the Suns would want a Dwyane Wade who can barely play 50 games a season.

As a Spurs fan I'd love to see OKC get Gasol, he's a sieve on defending the pick and roll, they'd lose their only legit 3rd perimieter option offensively and Perkins, for all his faults, is still a great post defender against Duncan.
    They'd have Ibaka to clean up the defense. Gasol is essentially Perkins on D but is still a very talented offensive big. They'd lose their third perimeter scorer, but they'd gain a much better inside presence. They're going to have to replace Jackson by 2015 regardless, so they may as well do it in this draft and get something for him.

Bledsoe is really overrated. He's a small combo-guard with rudimentary PG skills. He's bound to disappoint whomever signs him, but he'd excel best in Miami where James plays the point and where Eric's energy and athleticism is needed.

Wade'd give Phoenix a declining star who knows what it takes to win a ring. That's incredibly important. Dwyane would also do well with that medical staff and those shooters. The Suns really shouldn't keep both Bledsoe and Dragic and may lose Eric anyway. If they can replace him with a proven winner, that'd be huge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'd have Ibaka to clean up the defense. Gasol is essentially Perkins on D but is still a very talented offensive big. They'd lose their third perimeter scorer, but they'd gain a much better inside presence. They're going to have to replace Jackson by 2015 regardless, so they may as well do it in this draft and get something for him.
    They would definitely game some inside scoring, but it would cripple their defence. Whatever Pau gives on offence he would take away at least as much on the other end. There's no way the Thunder get past Memphis this year if they got rid of Jackson and Perkins for Gasol. You'd be putting way too much pressure on Ibaka and if you pull him away from the basket with a stretch 4 like we saw in our series it'd become a layup line or open 3's.

Bledsoe is really overrated. He's a small combo-guard with rudimentary PG skills. He's bound to disappoint whomever signs him, but he'd excel best in Miami where James plays the point and where Eric's energy and athleticism is needed.

Wade'd give Phoenix a declining star who knows what it takes to win a ring. That's incredibly important. Dwyane would also do well with that medical staff and those shooters. The Suns really shouldn't keep both Bledsoe and Dragic and may lose Eric anyway. If they can replace him with a proven winner, that'd be huge.
    [/quote]

I agree Bledsoe is overrated, but he's better than Wade right now. Going forward Bledsoe will improve while Wade will continue to decline, not to mention the Suns aren't a talented enough team to give Wade the rest he needs (~30 games off) and still make the playoffs. Not much point in having a 'proven winner' in their ranks, especially paying him $40m over 2 years, if they finish outside the 8th seed.

The Suns won't lose Bledsoe, they'll match any offer he gets this summer which will almost certainly be overpaying him.

I agree Bledsoe would be great with Lebron, but it'd be highway robbery for the Heat to get a young, athletic 24 year old for a broken down, 32 year old Wade with bad knees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richie and Chinook, both of you have been in favor of preserving capspace for 2015, just wondering what your thoughts are on the Spurs realistically attracting a top-tier free agent. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns between now and then, but I just don't see Love or Aldridge coming to SA. Aldridge is already apart of an up-and-coming team and there is little impetus to leave (other than being a big in POR) assuming they can continue improving and fine something resembling a bench, plus POR will be able to offer more money. As far as Love, chances are he gets traded to a destination of his choosing this year so why would he leave (and they will be able to offer more money). M. Gasol seems like an ok but not great fit for the personnel that will be left assuming Duncan and Manu retire. Bosh is intriguing but I still have my reservations about him. I guess my main points are:

1. In 2015 the Spurs could lose Pop, Duncan, and Manu. Don't you think that is likely to scare FA (potential loss of the system, spiritual leaders of the team gone, ect)
    2. Parker will be a year older and he is already starting to get those lingering injuries that make players a bit slower, do you think it is likely to impact how FAs view the Spurs in terms of winning potential
    3. Chris Bosh will be on the wrong side of 30 and M. Gasol will be close, making neither long-term partners for Kawhi and the Spurs young core. Do you think that is a consideration?

Personally I'm for bringing back the current team even if it impacts the 2015 FA prospects, both for sentimental reasons (minus Ayres, I love this team) and for more practical reasons (I'm more pessimistic in my evaluation of the Spurs potential to acquire FA in 2015). But I'd appreciate an opposing viewpoint

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wade should retire IMHO, the bad knees will never improve.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wade should retire IMHO, the bad knees will never improve.
    He's got $40 million reasons not too.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got $40 million reasons not too.
    You have a strong point there!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richie and Chinook, both of you have been in favor of preserving capspace for 2015, just wondering what your thoughts are on the Spurs realistically attracting a top-tier free agent. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns between now and then, but I just don't see Love or Aldridge coming to SA. Aldridge is already apart of an up-and-coming team and there is little impetus to leave (other than being a big in POR) assuming they can continue improving and fine something resembling a bench, plus POR will be able to offer more money. As far as Love, chances are he gets traded to a destination of his choosing this year so why would he leave (and they will be able to offer more money). M. Gasol seems like an ok but not great fit for the personnel that will be left assuming Duncan and Manu retire. Bosh is intriguing but I still have my reservations about him. I guess my main points are:

1. In 2015 the Spurs could lose Pop, Duncan, and Manu. Don't you think that is likely to scare FA (potential loss of the system, spiritual leaders of the team gone, ect)
    2. Parker will be a year older and he is already starting to get those lingering injuries that make players a bit slower, do you think it is likely to impact how FAs view the Spurs in terms of winning potential
    3. Chris Bosh will be on the wrong side of 30 and M. Gasol will be close, making neither long-term partners for Kawhi and the Spurs young core. Do you think that is a consideration?

Personally I'm for bringing back the current team even if it impacts the 2015 FA prospects, both for sentimental reasons (minus Ayres, I love this team) and for more practical reasons (I'm more pessimistic in my evaluation of the Spurs potential to acquire FA in 2015). But I'd appreciate an opposing viewpoint
    When it comes to possible free agents, I agree with your evaluation of Aldridge. Before they drafted Lillard I thought he'd be a lock to leave Portland, now I don't see why he would leave. I also agree with you about Love, I think he will force a trade somewhere that he would like to resign, perhaps Boston or Houston.

Bosh is an interesting one because I think it all comes down to Lebron. I doubt Bosh wants to lead a Miami team in to the lottery if Lebron leaves, so it's all up in the air. The more I look at his production, the more I like him though. He's not the defender Gasol is but he's not a complete liability like Love, and he can hit the 3.

I'm highest on Gasol and I think he's most achievable. I expect another 2nd round exit for Memphis next year and think Gasol is most likely to hit free agency having taken Memphis as far as he can. He'd also be the cheapest as I think he could be had for around $15m if we're a legit contender. He's almost exactly the same player that Duncan is right now, an excellent passer and he hits the mid range and defends better than Timmy. He doesn't have the same post game but he can score down low if he has to. A perfect fit IMO.

As for you're three points, I'll give my opinion. Firstly this is all assuming Duncan and Manu retire, if they don't and want to play for more than the minimum we don't have cap room for any of the bigs I mentioned. As long as Pop stays I think we're still a desirable destination.

Parker is aging but if we expect him to break down we might as well trade him for picks as soon as Duncan retires. He's become an elite mid range shooter and has shot 36% from 3 over the past two years. He's only just turned 32 a few weeks ago and as long as Pop is here I expect him to spend the rest of his career under 30mpg. Put simply, I'm not worried about Parker as long as Pop is here.

As for Gasols age, he came in to the league at 23 and is only 30 next summer. He doesn't have the miles on his body compared to others at his age so I'm not worried about that. To put it in to perspective, Gasol has played 16,000 career minutes including playoffs in the NBA. Duncan at the same age had played 30,000 and Lebron has played 40,000.

I also want to bring back the same team, I'm just hoping we can get Mills/Diaw back for a combined $8m. We can have their contracts go down for the 2015 summer and back up the next year, maximising their money and minimising our cap hit. This would mean not signing someone with the MLE this year, or if we do making sure it's only for one year.

My salary wishes might be a bit optimistic, but if we can get Mills/Boris for a combined $8m this year, Green back for $4m and Parker/Leonard combined for $25m in 2015, we'd be left with around $20m to sign a free agents after taking Splitter's $8.5m in to account and a $65m cap. If we could get Gasol for $15m that gives us $5m wiggle room to pay some players more or if the cap is lower. We'd also be bringing back the whole team to defend next year.

Edit: Again, sorry this got really long.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree about Marc, especially over his brother Pau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's important for you to understand that we are talking about the Spurs using cap space in 2015 under the assumption that Duncan and Ginobili retire but the rest of the starters, Diaw and perhaps Mills (about whom half the debate is focused). The Spurs in such a scenario would not be looking for a young star to grow with Leonard but rather a player at his peak to make the team compe ive during the final years of Parker's and Diaw's careers and during Green's and Splitter's relative primes. That's why LA and Bosh are targets over younger players.

I won't go through all my justifications for the potential free agents in great detail, since I have been doing so for a year now in various threads. I'll just summarize here:

Aldridge is not young enough to endure the growing pains of Portland. He's getting ready to sign his last big deal in 2015. If the Blazers are outclassed again in the playoffs, I think LA would play the market, and under such a scenario, the Spurs would have a very strong chance to land him. If Aldridge doesn't extend this season, I think he has a great chance to changing teams.

I agree about Love, but you never know. I wouldn't bank on him (and don't even really want him), but if he wanted to come over, I wouldn't turn him away.

Bosh will be the same age as Splitter, three years younger than Parker and Diaw and two years older than Green. He fits in age-wise. Based on pure basketball ability, he's probably the best the Spurs could hope for, and like Aldridge, if he's on the market in 2015, I think he'd consider the Spurs strongly.

Signing Marc Gasol would be a mistake for the Spurs so long as they plan to pair him with Splitter. I don't believe people really understand how the Spurs' offense works and why starting two centers would wreck Kawhi's development and lower the team's upside.

As to your points: 1: The Spurs may keep Pop, and if that's the case, I think they would be favorites to land any big-time free agent. If Leonard keeps developing, the Spurs supporting cast would easily be the best in the league. 2: This is a primary reason why Gasol would be a poor target. The Spurs will not be able to run their current offense for much longer, and they need a four who can carry an offense. FAs did just see that the Spurs can win with Tony being marginalized, though, so I don't think Parker getting older would hurt SA's prospects too much. 3: Answered at the top. The Spurs won't get a player in free agency who will be around for a decade like Leonard will hopefully be. This is about 2015-2019. 2020-2025 will have to take care of itself later.

I wish the Spurs would have traded for their next power-forward some time in the last two years. They had the contracts to do so with Jack's, Bonner's and De Colo's expirings. Had they acquired even an Ilyasova or Thad Young player, I'd feel better about letting 2015's cap space vanish. But I have no faith that the Spurs can put together a contending team after Duncan retires if they don't have enough cap space in 2015 to acquire an impact player at the four.

Thread Information