Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Fredette if they are priced out of keeping Patty Mills

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would definitely game some inside scoring, but it would cripple their defence. Whatever Pau gives on offence he would take away at least as much on the other end. There's no way the Thunder get past Memphis this year if they got rid of Jackson and Perkins for Gasol. You'd be putting way too much pressure on Ibaka and if you pull him away from the basket with a stretch 4 like we saw in our series it'd become a layup line or open 3's.
    No. Gasol is pretty much Duncan on defense. Fine shot-blocker and post defender, but horrible at the PnR. Ibaka would only play well as PnR defending big, but he'd also be available to help out on Pau getting beat. Sure, a team can counter with a stretch-four, but I don't think you realize how much better offensively Gasol is than any big the Thunder have. He is still the type of player who can force doubles. Against the Spurs, he'd draw Duncan and would probably go toe-to-toe with Tim, all while giving OKC better passing, spacing and shot-blocking than Perkins is currently providing.

Of course OKC has to replace Jackson, but they have to do that no matter what. That's what they have their MLE/$7.5 Million TE for.

I agree Bledsoe is overrated, but he's better than Wade right now. Going forward Bledsoe will improve while Wade will continue to decline, not to mention the Suns aren't a talented enough team to give Wade the rest he needs (~30 games off) and still make the playoffs. Not much point in having a 'proven winner' in their ranks, especially paying him $40m over 2 years, if they finish outside the 8th seed.

The Suns won't lose Bledsoe, they'll match any offer he gets this summer which will almost certainly be overpaying him.

I agree Bledsoe would be great with Lebron, but it'd be highway robbery for the Heat to get a young, athletic 24 year old for a broken down, 32 year old Wade with bad knees.
    He might be better than Wade (might be, since I think Dwyane's career would have an Indian summer if he were to go to Phoenix), but he's not Wade. He has no rings or championship experience. If the Suns are serious about becoming contenders, they need to start bringing in the right players to get them there. That may not be the only move they'll need to make the playoffs. They have the assets to bring in another strong player to help bolster their hopes. But it's silly to just hope for internal growth to be enough to get you over the hump. I can't think of a recent champion that didn't have season vets with loads of deep playoff experience guiding them. Maybe 2004 Detroit?

The Suns have the cap space to bring Wade in another not feel it. It would make much more sense to me for them to pay Wade $41 Million over two years than for them to play Bledsoe $60 Million over four.

As far as their depth goes, they were able to endure Bledsoe's injury (he missed 39 games total last year) by sliding Gerald Green into the two-guard spot. They finished a game outside the eighth seed last year, and I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do better with a more-experienced supporting cast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, double post. Looking hopeful that Patty stays...
    Last edited by 4down; 06-19-2014 at 12:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems people have really started to underestimate Pau Gasol's game due to his last couple of years in LA. IMO he'll be a major coup for whoever gets him and will rejuvenate his career. If the Thunder get him they become instant favorites. He's the closest skill-wise to Tim Duncan in the league nowadays and his game does not rely on athleticism, he'll age well and give his new team a great player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course OKC has to replace Jackson, but they have to do that no matter what. That's what they have their MLE/$7.5 Million TE for.
    OKC don't have to replace Jackson at all. He'll command less than $10m in restricted free agency and with Perkins contract coming off the books and the luxury tax heading towards $80m they'll comfortably be able to afford him.

For Gasol to OKC, sure they get inside scoring but there would be no issue putting Duncan or Splitter on him with Diaw guarding Ibaka as Serge is just a jumpshooter. Pau would get blown by on the pick and roll every time and Diaw/Bonner gets open 3's all game long. If Pau is on the stretch 4, he's way too slow to close out on shooters.

Here's a video showing how poor Gasol is in pick and roll defence, and how easily we scored even when he had an elite shot blocker behind him in Howard. Also it's not like it's some regular season game, this is the kind of defence he's showing in the playoffs when he was 2 years younger than today.

Last edited by Richie; 06-17-2014 at 01:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thunder also have $70m committed for next year, they might not even be able to offer the full MLE without going in to the luxury tax.

Edit: Did a quick calculation based on numbers from cbafaq, if the cap is $62m then the luxury tax level will be $74.1m which means the Thunder will only have $4.2m to spend this summer before entering the tax, and that's excluding any draft picks they bring in.

Not an exact calculation because there are some other factors, but it's a rough figure
    Last edited by Richie; 06-17-2014 at 01:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC don't have to replace Jackson at all. He'll command less than $10m in restricted free agency and with Perkins contract coming off the books and the luxury tax heading towards $80m they'll comfortably be able to afford him.

For Gasol to OKC, sure they get inside scoring but there would be no issue putting Duncan or Splitter on him with Diaw guarding Ibaka as Serge is just a jumpshooter. Pau would get blown by on the pick and roll every time and Diaw/Bonner gets open 3's all game long. If Pau is on the stretch 4, he's way too slow to close out on shooters.

Here's a video showing how poor Gasol is in pick and roll defence, and how easily we scored even when he had an elite shot blocker behind him in Howard. Also it's not like it's some regular season game, this is the kind of defence he's showing in the playoffs when he was 2 years younger than today.

*Insert explanations about Gasol going into a s the last two years here *

Duncan was even worse in the Dallas series this year. , Perkins is almost that bad, and he's still in his 20s. OKC also has better perimeter defenders than that Lakers team did, and with Ibaka, they'd be fine. That's especially true with Duncan slowing down on his PnP game.

OKC can't pay three perimeter players $46 Million combined in 2015. They sure can't pay $26 Million on PGs. And don't even bring up starting Jackson. That'd be a terrible long-term move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thunder also have $70m committed for next year, they might not even be able to offer the full MLE without going in to the luxury tax.

Edit: Did a quick calculation based on numbers from cbafaq, if the cap is $62m then the luxury tax level will be $74.1m which means the Thunder will only have $4.2m to spend this summer before entering the tax, and that's excluding any draft picks they bring in.

Not an exact calculation because there are some other factors, but it's a rough figure
    I've long been of the belief that OKC will have to go into the tax soon if they're serious about winning a le. That said, trading Perkins and Jackson for Gasol on a deal averaging perhaps $10M/year would save them money next season and allow them to use the full MLE without going into the tax.

Also, Sham says the Thunder are closer to $67 Million. The $70 Million must include picks, and those may be traded or stashed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC can't pay three perimeter players $46 Million combined in 2015. They sure can't pay $26 Million on PGs. And don't even bring up starting Jackson. That'd be a terrible long-term move.
    Jackson and Westbrook are perfectly capable of playing together as they have shown. Also I used $10m as a generous figure, there's no way he's getting paid that. Anything between $5m-$7m would be a good deal for both him and OKC, I don't see anyone paying him more in restricted free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jackson and Westbrook are perfectly capable of playing together as they have shown. Also I used $10m as a generous figure, there's no way he's getting paid that. Anything between $5m-$7m would be a good deal for both him and OKC, I don't see anyone paying him more in restricted free agency.
    Jackson and Westbrook playing together isn't a problem in a vacuum. But a Jackson/Westbrook/Durant combo would not work long term. No defenders and too many people needing the ball in their hands. OKC's offense needs better role-players, not another star.

And I think Jackson will get at least $8 Million like Teague got. That's too much to pay a back up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've long been of the belief that OKC will have to go into the tax soon if they're serious about winning a le. That said, trading Perkins and Jackson for Gasol on a deal averaging perhaps $10M/year would save them money next season and allow them to use the full MLE without going into the tax.

Also, Sham says the Thunder are closer to $67 Million. The $70 Million must include picks, and those may be traded or stashed.
    Sham says they are at $68.8m which I think is not including Thabeets unguaranteed contract, which Bball Reference (this site I was looking at) seems to have included.

Honestly I hope you're right, if the Thunder give away a Spurs killer in Jackson and their only good post defender in Perkins for Gasol I'll be ecstatic. The Spurs would demolish that team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Donta Smith? A formar Atlanta hawks draft pick, 31 years old, consider one of the best player in Europe, a point forword, good all around skills, player in the mold of Boris Diew, not as good shooting, better athletic ability at this point... If Diew not coming back, does Spurs looking at him as replacment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If they were serious about winning a le, Harden would still be there. I can tell you one thing they are serious about: not paying the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Observer source: Hornets forward Josh McRoberts has opted out of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent in July.
    https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/sta...14557840531456

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Observer source: Hornets forward Josh McRoberts has opted out of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent in July.
    Yes. A shooter, a passer, a decent defender. It'll give the Spurs another option for a stretch four to give Diaw some rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bobcats?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They officially changed back to the Hornets a couple of weeks ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like McRoberts. Not only has he become pretty skilled, but he is also a good athlete (he was a great one only a few years ago).

The Spurs don't need a messiah, but regardless, Josh for the MLE would be a blessing.

from across the pond Anonymous Cowherd's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh for the MLE would be overpaying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh for the MLE would be overpaying.
    As long as he could contribute it'd be fine, much better than splitting the MLE between Beli and Ayres and getting two useless players as a result...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as he could contribute it'd be fine, much better than splitting the MLE between Beli and Ayres and getting two useless players as a result...
    Your right, Beli was useless...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your right, Beli was useless...
    Well to be fair he was quite useful to the Heat and to Dallas.

Did you forget that Dallas game where he was -30 in like 15 minutes ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh McRoberts quietly did some things very well this year in Charlotte. He was #1 in assists per 48 minutes amongst all power forwards: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...power-forwards
    Boris Diaw was #3 in this category.

McRoberts was also #1 in assist to turnover ratio amongst power forwards, by a large margain. Again, Diaw was #3 in the league.

McRoberts is essentially a younger, taller, more athletic version of Diaw. Both are great passers, neither are especially good rebounders. Their blocks and steals numbers are similar. Diaw had a better 3pt%, but also played for a better team and probably had better looks over the course of the season.

I think the mid-level exception for him would be a fair deal for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh McRoberts quietly did some things very well this year in Charlotte. He was #1 in assists per 48 minutes amongst all power forwards: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...power-forwards
    Boris Diaw was #3 in this category.

McRoberts was also #1 in assist to turnover ratio amongst power forwards, by a large margain. Again, Diaw was #3 in the league.

McRoberts is essentially a younger, taller, more athletic version of Diaw. Both are great passers, neither are especially good rebounders. Their blocks and steals numbers are similar. Diaw had a better 3pt%, but also played for a better team and probably had better looks over the course of the season.

I think the mid-level exception for him would be a fair deal for the Spurs.
    Just a guess but i think he will command more than mle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well to be fair he was quite useful to the Heat and to Dallas.

Did you forget that Dallas game where he was -30 in like 15 minutes ...
    did you forget the playoff games against Portland and game 3 vs Miami? ing morons

Thread Information