My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Fredette if they are priced out of keeping Patty Mills
    Ugh. Fredette sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems people have really started to underestimate Pau Gasol's game due to his last couple of years in LA. IMO he'll be a major coup for whoever gets him and will rejuvenate his career. If the Thunder get him they become instant favorites. He's the closest skill-wise to Tim Duncan in the league nowadays and his game does not rely on athleticism, he'll age well and give his new team a great player.
    okc can't sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. A shooter, a passer, a decent defender. It'll give the Spurs another option for a stretch four to give Diaw some rest.
    he's been making threes all year, but trust me on that, mcbob is not a stretch 4. He is one my favourites though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh McRoberts quietly did some things very well this year in Charlotte. He was #1 in assists per 48 minutes amongst all power forwards: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...power-forwards
    Boris Diaw was #3 in this category.

McRoberts was also #1 in assist to turnover ratio amongst power forwards, by a large margain. Again, Diaw was #3 in the league.

McRoberts is essentially a younger, taller, more athletic version of Diaw. Both are great passers, neither are especially good rebounders. Their blocks and steals numbers are similar. Diaw had a better 3pt%, but also played for a better team and probably had better looks over the course of the season.

I think the mid-level exception for him would be a fair deal for the Spurs.
    nah i don't agree, he is very athletic and a great per minute rebounder, he is getting less rebs in charlotte because he is playing like a stretch 4 which he is not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you forget the playoff games against Portland and game 3 vs Miami? ing morons
    was a net cancer in both

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh. Fredette sucks.
    Ha. The good thing is it seems they are likely to keep Mills which is far and away the best scenario apart from some pipe dream hypothetical. But Fredette could work as a reclamation project.he needs the ball a little too much but given the right environment he can provide value. He can still shoot and having space and a system would help. His drawback would be poor defense and below average foot speed. He's like Patty and Gary Neal in that he's a willing shooter and like Neal but not Patty in terms of defense.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Patty will only get better tbqh.
    I am leaning on the Spurs signing Frye in free agency and that is it besides signing Diaw and Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh for the MLE would be overpaying.
    He's good value if it's the full MLE for only one year to preserve cap room for 2015. I wouldn't pay him $15m/3yr but for $5m/1yr he'd be great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's good value if it's the full MLE for only one year to preserve cap room for 2015. I wouldn't pay him $15m/3yr but for $5m/1yr he'd be great
    I think the MLE has to be for more than one year.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It can be used for players UP TO 4 years for teams who are not paying the tax, and UP TO 3 years for those paying the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't believe so. S&Ts do. What's true regardless is that the subsequent years don't have to be guaranteed. So the Spurs could give McRoberts a deal that would only clog the cap for one year. Provided he's willing, of course.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe so. S&Ts do. What's true regardless is that the subsequent years don't have to be guaranteed. So the Spurs could give McRoberts a deal that would only clog the cap for one year. Provided he's willing, of course.
    I'm not too sure what people really see in McRoberts.Sure he can stretch the floor to a degree and has some toughness about him, but his shot selection and BBIQ on both ends is pretty terrible. Not a fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not too sure what people really see in McRoberts.Sure he can stretch the floor to a degree and has some toughness about him, but his shot selection and BBIQ on both ends is pretty terrible. Not a fan.
    He has a great year passing the ball. He's mobile, athletic amd can now shoot. If he buys in to the system, he'd be tje best fit out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a great year passing the ball. He's mobile, athletic amd can now shoot. If he buys in to the system, he'd be tje best fit out there.

Meh, he can shoot, but his shot selection ( or lack thereof) negates his true accuracy (too many ill-advised/contested long 2's for my liking).

Would rather go the internal improvement route and go w/ Baynes for 1/3rd; 1/4th of McRoberts' market value. And I'm not a huge fan of that scenario.

Hawes or Frye are better fits, but will cost 1-2 mil more per.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, he can shoot, but his shot selection ( or lack thereof) negates his true accuracy (too many ill-advised/contested long 2's for my liking).

Would rather go the internal improvement route and go w/ Baynes for 1/3rd; 1/4th of McRoberts' market value. And I'm not a huge fan of that scenario.

Neither Hawes nor Fyre fit better than McRoberts would. They are stretch-fives, which the Spurs do not need. They also are not as adept at passing the ball (although I seem to recall that Channing can do it at an acceptable level). They lack Josh's athleticism and mobility, which sort of negates their ability to play next to Duncan. The main thing they have is that they are more proven in their current roles. McRoberts just started being a stretch-four this year, and there are still some growing pains. But Josh's potential there is tremendous.

Baynes is a center, which means he and McRoberts aren't fighting for the same minutes. If Aron holds on, it will be as the third center just like he was this year. If Pop starts Splitter/Duncan again, then of course the third center gets fourth-big minutes. But If Pop does the right thing and trends away from that combo, then Baynes will get the few minutes Tim and Tiago don't eat. In any event, getting a second reliable power-forward is pretty key, as Bonner's ability to play the position more than situationally is in question. Also, Baynes will probably make about half of what McRoberts will make. I think Aron earned a bigger raise (percentage-wise) than Josh did.

Shot selection is mostly the result of the system teams run. Josh had to shoot a lot in the Miami series, since he was often left open and his team needed the points. In the Spurs' system, he'd get fewer shots, by they'd be better looks. Provided he continues to work on his form (with Chip if he lands in SA), then McRoberts could end up being a strong shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While McRoberts would be a great fit, if they draft Jokic I don't see the point tbh... Spend the MLE on a wing that can play with Manu without creating complete chaos on defense (basically not Beli )... Or on a PG/combo guard if Mills walks...
    Last edited by Baam; 06-20-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any case the Spurs need to keep Chip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any case the Spurs need to keep Chip.
    I believe Kerr was the main threat to recruit him and they signed Gentry as the first assistant so I think it's pretty much a given he's staying...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hawes or Frye are better players but would want multi year deals. $5m is overpaying for McRoberts, but he could possibly get $7m/2yr elsewhere so we'd need to pay him more to compensate for taking less years.

As for Chinooks post, there's simply no difference between a stretch 4 and a stretch 5. Both just a big man who can shoot the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawes or Frye are better players but would want multi year deals. $5m is overpaying for McRoberts, but he could possibly get $7m/2yr elsewhere so we'd need to pay him more to compensate for taking less years.

As for Chinooks post, there's simply no difference between a stretch 4 and a stretch 5. Both just a big man who can shoot the 3.
    Lol. Of course there's a difference. Stretch-fours play PF, and stretch-fives play C. Literally, the only thing they have in common is that they shoot threes.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Of course there's a difference. Stretch-fours play PF, and stretch-fives play C. Literally, the only thing they have in common is that they shoot threes.
    The difference is on defense, right? I would expect a stretch 5 to have some semblance of rim protection or post defense, while I would expect a stretch 4 to be more comfortable defending PnRs and stepping out to contest midrange jumpers. On offense, positional designations are less meaningful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference is on defense, right? I would expect a stretch 5 to have some semblance of rim protection or post defense, while I would expect a stretch 4 to be more comfortable defending PnRs and stepping out to contest midrange jumpers. On offense, positional designations are less meaningful.
    Yes, it's most important on defense. But it still matters on offense. Could McRoberts start next to Millsap or Thad Young? Size matters when it comes to setting screens and rebounding, both of which stretch-fives should be expected to do over their PF counterparts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complete semantics between the power forward and center position. A center with a jumpshot is just a tall power forward. Same way a power forward who can't shoot a jump shot is an undersized center.

What makes Blair a center and Bosh a power forward? Maybe there used to be a difference when every team has a big bruising 7 footer but the game has changed, the positions are interchangeable. No difference at all between a stretch 4 or stretch 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complete semantics between the power forward and center position. A center with a jumpshot is just a tall power forward. Same way a power forward who can't shoot a jump shot is an undersized center.

What makes Blair a center and Bosh a power forward? Maybe there used to be a difference when every team has a big bruising 7 footer but the game has changed, the positions are interchangeable. No difference at all between a stretch 4 or stretch 5.
    You have it backwards. PF and C USED TO BE interchangeable back when Duncan and Garnett came into the league. Now, they're divergent.

Thread Information