Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are people who can play both big positions(Horford), guys who are fairly clearly 4's(Millsap) and clear 5's(Drummond). Most teams are going towards the slightly undersized shooter at PF where they can, as the shooting value more than makes up for the defensive loss when there is a good defensive centre on the court.

There are cases where players are centres in size and (lack of) mobility, who are stretch 5's(Hawes, Antic types) and short guys that can't shoot who are undersized centres(Blair, probably Stokes in the draft). That makes position a bit tricky, as there is some fluidity between positions, but overall they are splitting out.

The question for the Spurs is that, if the spurs sign a 4th big, who does that guy defend? If Splitter is on the bench in the 20 minutes high quality backup/occassional starter, he can guard either, but he's probably more challenged by backup PFs that backup C's, so a PF makes sense to me. With that PF, you want shooting, passing, and being mobile enough to adequately defend mobile types like Millsap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are people who can play both big positions(Horford), guys who are fairly clearly 4's(Millsap) and clear 5's(Drummond). Most teams are going towards the slightly undersized shooter at PF where they can, as the shooting value more than makes up for the defensive loss when there is a good defensive centre on the court.

There are cases where players are centres in size and (lack of) mobility, who are stretch 5's(Hawes, Antic types) and short guys that can't shoot who are undersized centres(Blair, probably Stokes in the draft). That makes position a bit tricky, as there is some fluidity between positions, but overall they are splitting out.

The question for the Spurs is that, if the spurs sign a 4th big, who does that guy defend? If Splitter is on the bench in the 20 minutes high quality backup/occassional starter, he can guard either, but he's probably more challenged by backup PFs that backup C's, so a PF makes sense to me. With that PF, you want shooting, passing, and being mobile enough to adequately defend mobile types like Millsap.
    Yes, that's a fine interpretation of the ideas I'm trying to put forth. The Spurs big rotation has a hole for a power-forward who can stretch the floor and move well enough on defense to start next to Duncan or in the very least come off the bench with Splitter while not hurting the Spurs' spacing. While stretch-fives like Hawes may well be able to space the floor at a similar or better level than McRoberts, their lack of mobility makes them poor fits next to Duncan and an unnecessarily burdensome fit next to Splitter.

I personally think that, should the team want to move on from the Duncan/Splitter starting duo, it should find a new starter at PF rather than putting Diaw there and bring the new PF off the bench. I think Boris fits better as a backup. A guy like McRoberts can space the floor, finish and pass well enough to fit right into the rotation. He also has a good deal of upside left and would be among the youngest bigs on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big question is what to do with Splitter... Is it really okay to have him come off the bench (his value would go down, that's why RJeff always started)...

Or do you try to trade him for a starting 4.

Or do you try to trade him for post Duncanobili pieces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big question is what to do with Splitter... Is it really okay to have him come off the bench
    Yes. Next question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Next question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Next question.
    You would have said the same thing for RJeff and they didn't do it...

It becomes a lot harder to bench a player once he makes double figures because you're depreciating an asset...

I think it's gonna make for a very interesting conversation between Pop and RC. I believe that putting Kawhi in the best position to succeed is gonna be one of the top priorities so I don't see Splitter starting most games next season and after that it's anyone's guess...

I think if you're in RC's shoes, it's extremely tempting to go after what could be the post Duncan defensive anchor in Capela... Or the post Ginobili 6th man in Kyle Anderson... But then Pop on the other side of the table gonna want guarantees they can be as good or better next year... Bottom line is I don't believe Splitter is needed but that's just me... It's hilarious to me that the 2012 loss resulted in the Splitter era when he was way worse than Diaw as the starting 4 against that Thunder team... Basically the 2012 loss resulted in the downgrade of a team that was coming off a 20 wins streak... It's still unbelievable to me... And then we see that team again in the WCF and in the Finals and it absolutely crushed the 2 best teams in the league... While the ty spacing created by Splitter almost resulted in a first round exit...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You would have said the same thing for RJeff and they didn't do it...
    Not comparable situations at all. Next question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mel, with no regard for human life!

I get what you're saying, Baam . I really do. If the Spurs come out of the post-season believing Splitter and Duncan can no longer start together (which is pretty much what I would like them to think if that leads to them getting the necessary upgrade at PF), then it does make Splitter's salary less worth it. But remember than the Spurs have Duncan at a discount so that they can pay Splitter a lot of money to be his backup. They won't crack $20 Million in 2014-2015, which is about as much as Tim could have commanded had he wanted to play hard-ball with the FO. Even in the worst-case scenario, Tiago at $9M/year for 20mpg is worth it because it allows the Spurs to have a fresh Tim at 28 mpg (with nights off) for only $10M/year.

The Spurs don't have to make financial trades because the Big Three gave up money to allow the team to pay whatever they needed to to keep the Medium Three in town. If they can use the MLE to add a 10th player to the core rotation, great. But if not, they are going to stick with what took them to a le. Duncan/Splitter/Diaw is still the best big rotation in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah deep down I know they're gonna take the conservative route. Any team would after a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But remember than the Spurs have Duncan at a discount so that they can pay Splitter a lot of money to be his backup. They won't crack $20 Million in 2014-2015, which is about as much as Tim could have commanded had he wanted to play hard-ball with the FO. Even in the worst-case scenario, Tiago at $9M/year for 20mpg is worth it because it allows the Spurs to have a fresh Tim at 28 mpg (with nights off) for only $10M/year.

The Spurs don't have to make financial trades because the Big Three gave up money to allow the team to pay whatever they needed to to keep the Medium Three in town. If they can use the MLE to add a 10th player to the core rotation, great. But if not, they are going to stick with what took them to a le. Duncan/Splitter/Diaw is still the best big rotation in the league.
    All good points. I've gone on elsewhere about Tiago's value as a Duncan career extender and I think it's clear that Pop and RC have a very high regard for Splitter. A regard that was proven when they instantly were willing to pay his market price in 2012.

In addition to your points, consider that the relative impact of Splitter's salary on the payroll shrinks with every passing year. Last season he was paid 10M out of a 58M cap. Next year it's 9.25M out of 63M. By the final year it will be 8.25M out of 68-70M. When you consider that he projects to be the starting center for the final year or two, his contract isn't any sort of hindrance to roster construction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All good points. I've gone on elsewhere about Tiago's value as a Duncan career extender and I think it's clear that Pop and RC have a very high regard for Splitter. A regard that was proven when they instantly were willing to pay his market price in 2012.

In addition to your points, consider that the relative impact of Splitter's salary on the payroll shrinks with every passing year. Last season he was paid 10M out of a 58M cap. Next year it's 9.25M out of 63M. By the final year it will be 8.25M out of 68-70M. When you consider that he projects to be the starting center for the final year or two, his contract isn't any sort of hindrance to roster construction.
    Yeah, shrinking contracts are great if you can negotiate them. They're easier to move, and they're more likely to keep up with a player's decreasing value. Even if Leonard gets a full-max deal, the Spurs should have money to build around him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers guard Darren Collison and forwards Glen Davis and Danny Granger will opt out of the final years of their respective contracts and become free agents this summer, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...st-free-agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers guard Darren Collison and forwards Glen Davis and Danny Granger will opt out of the final years of their respective contracts and become free agents this summer, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...st-free-agency

Mel, What are your thoughts on Patty and the likelihood he stays in SA? What's your guess on the type of contract it would take to keep him here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mel, What are your thoughts on Patty and the likelihood he stays in SA? What's your guess on the type of contract it would take to keep him here?
    I think 3yrs/12-15M will get it done. The bigger question is whether the Spurs will be willing to pay that much for a backup PG if that's what it takes to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Granger cost himself so much damned money this past season. I can't imagine he doesn't sign for near the minimum now. Maybe Dallas would pay a couple million to try to catch lightening in a bottle.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure i any value in McRoberts, Hawes etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, no need for McRoberts if Boris is staying... Second, i don't really like McRoberts, he is too erratic and play out of control especially on defense...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    y'all hit the nail on the head about Splitter on the bench. Timmy could play 2 more years, or he could retire any minute now. Splitter, starting or not, will get value minutes.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I have seen of McRoberts he is not going to step right in because he has a of a lot to learn. I too like his mobility but he is very erratic on D. Fouls in really stupid situations because he has enough ability to get to the right spot instead of already being in the right spot.

If he can be taught quickly, I'm in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
    Yahoo Sources: Chicago's pursuing a trade for Orlando's Arron Afflalo, who is very available. yhoo.it/1p2OJyi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a idea. He makes too much and would cost assets they may need for Melo/Love.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls going for any source of offense they can find. They are at a major stand still at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls going for any source of offense they can find. They are at a major stand still at this point.
    I can't understand how an NBA team struggles to find offense. Guys who can score are a dime a dozen.

Like the Pacers. How hard is it to find a point guard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to find a point guard?
    The Spurs spent most of David Robinson's career hunting for a point guard. They had Strickland early but briefly. After that, the best one was Avery Johnson and while he fit in, he was mediocre compared to the rest of the league. Vinnie Del Negro was the starting point guard for a while.

Once we lucked out and got Tony Parker, a lot of effort has been spent trying to find a good back up point guard.

They're out there, they just aren't always easy to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand how an NBA team struggles to find offense. Guys who can score are a dime a dozen.

Like the Pacers. How hard is it to find a point guard?
    Well, the Spurs still only have one actual PG who isn't Cory Joseph. Miami can't seem to find one, either.

Thread Information