Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather see Bertans than Bargs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit beat Toronto in Toronto tonight-- a great win for a team that has enjoyed incredible success since waiving Josh Smith, and actually looks like they have a reasonable shot at making the playoffs in the weak East, even after starting the season 5-23. I'm watching two guys on that team who will be free agents: Greg Monroe--the obvious one-- and Jonas Jerebko, the sleeper. Jerebko didn't do much until the end of the game, where he had a key rebound, a key assist, and two important baskets. Here's a comparison of Jerebko, Boris Diaw, and Matt Bonner: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p4=&p5=&p6=

Per 36 Minutes

* FG FGA FG% 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

Jonas Jerebko 2014-15 4.9 10.3 .474 .393 3.3 6.3 .526 1.8 2.0 .900 2.4 5.0 7.4 2.3 1.3 0.5 1.3 4.0 13.2

Matt Bonner 2014-15 4.2 9.9 .427 .383 2.2 4.6 .478 1.3 1.6 .792 1.0 2.8 3.8 1.8 0.4 0.4 0.5 2.7 11.8

Boris Diaw 2014-15 4.9 10.4 .472 .329 3.9 7.4 .530 1.6 2.1 .741 1.4 4.9 6.3 4.6 0.7 0.4 2.4 2.8 12.4

Jerebko is shooting a better FG%, 3PT%, and FT% than both Bonner and Diaw, and has higher averages for steals and rebounds. He's not the passer that Diaw is, but is better than Bonner in that category. Jerebko's PER is 15.71 compared to 13.7 & 11.08 for Diaw & Bonner. He also has the highest on court/off court rating on the Pistons: http://www.82games.com/1415/1415DET.HTM

I don't think Jerebko has star potential, but he could be a relatively inexpensive free agency steal, and would be a quality 3rd/4th Big in next year's rotation.
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 01-13-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always liked jaberko and wanted him last year. Hes gritty and smart

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Jerebko would be a decent pick up, but I suspect that we will try for the high end of the big man market first... Assuming we do go high end on an FA, we might need some cheap filler.
    I think a decently big and decently athletic backup 2/3 would be a real asset. For cheap, I would suggest Landry Fields from TO. He was an up and comer when he got that Contract in TO (3yrs/$18 million). Then he needed elbow surgery and his shooting form got f'ed up, thus his FG% tanked. This made him an offensive liability, but he was still a useful player with Wp/48 > 0.1 (average player) :
    http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/220-landry-fields
    However, although he's playing limited minutes this year, it looks like he's finally managed to fix his shot - his fg% is a career high. He's going to be cheap because his time in TO was pretty bad. If his shot is back, he could be a real bargain (and we have the best shot doctor in the league!).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I almost completely forgot about Landry Fields... I liked him his first two years with the Knicks.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really feel like Hibbert somehow ends up in SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of teams will be looking at Hassan Whiteside now... he has the reputation for being immature, but the raw numbers are pretty impressive, especially his block/foul ratio, rebounding, and DRtg...

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    More in the link. I just posted Leonard's part.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tler/21960499/

Right about the time it seemed as if NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard might not be long for the San Antonio Spurs, the restricted-free-agent-to-be had this to say about his future down by the Riverwalk.

"I don't think I'm going anywhere," he told USA TODAY Sports in November after failing to reach an agreement on an extension with the Spurs. "I want to finish out with one team like a lot of great players have done, to stay with one organization their whole career and just be loyal to that. You never know. We'll see what happens next summer, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in a Spurs jersey for my whole life."

The "you never know" part remains true, of course, meaning Leonard could still decide he doesn't like the direction the Spurs are going and find a way out of town. There are multiple nightmare scenarios for San Antonio, among them the notion that he could sign the qualifying offer for next season (thereby becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016) or perhaps land a Chandler Parsons-esque offer sheet elsewhere that could wreak havoc on the Spurs' long-term plans (the Houston Rockets let Parsons go in restricted free agency last summer when the Dallas Mavericks gave him a three year, $46 million deal with a player option in the third season).

San Antonio didn't give Leonard the maximum-salary deal he wanted before the Oct. 31 deadline because they wanted to keep maximum flexibility for 2015 free agency. Because Leonard's salary cap hold on that kind of extension could have served as an obstacle to landing other top-tier free agents to put around him (with Marc Gasol believed to be atop that list), they took the calculated risk of letting his situation remain unresolved.

Three months later, it's clear that Leonard has every right to ask for that max deal without an ounce of shame. Not only is he on a career-high pace in points (15.3 per game), rebounds (7.5), assists (2.5), and steals (two) in the 24 games in which he wasn't dealing with injuries, but the Spurs lost nine of 17 games without him this season when he was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Nice article.
    I still wouldn't be surprised to see Kawhi giving the Spurs a little bit of a discount to allow them to pursue players to replace the Big 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Nice article.
    I still wouldn't be surprised to see Kawhi giving the Spurs a little bit of a discount to allow them to pursue players to replace the Big 3.
    It doesn't say he is giving them a discount. He just held off on re-signing until the summer. By doing so the FO has more cap space in signing other players. They can use the cap hold for his salary instead of what he ends up signing for. This provides room. Kawhi will be signed after free agents are signed because of this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't say he is giving them a discount. He just held off on re-signing until the summer. By doing so the FO has more cap space in signing other players. They can use the cap hold for his salary instead of what he ends up signing for. This provides room. Kawhi will be signed after free agents are signed because of this.
    I understand that. But I still wouldn't be surprised if he signed for less than max, following the examples of Timmy, Manu, and Parker. I think he'll be happy being the one the higher paid young players in the league without maxing out, knowing that maxing out limits putting the greatest level of help & talent around him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy I'm keeping an eye on is Khris Middleton... he leads the Bucks in +/- and has improved each of his three years. The Bucks are pretty deep at the swing position, so who knows what they'll do. Middleton is a restricted FA this summer, and at 6'8" could platoon at both the SG and SF positions. His defense is improving and his 3 pt% has been great for two straight years now. Interesting under the radar guy.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415MIL.HTM
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton has actually logged minutes at 4 positions this year: SG, SF, PF, and C: http://www.82games.com/1415/14MIL9.HTM
    And has had positive numbers at 3: SG, SF, and PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under the radar free agent watch in last night's Detroit vs Milwaukee game:

Khris Middleton: 28 min, 7-9 (2-3 3pt), 16 pts, 7 reb, 4 assists, 1 stl, +33

Jonas Jerebko: 14 min, 3-6, (1-1 3pt), 7 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, +12 (one of only four players with positive # in losing effort)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of teams will be looking at Hassan Whiteside now... he has the reputation for being immature, but the raw numbers are pretty impressive, especially his block/foul ratio, rebounding, and DRtg...
    Whiteside will definitely give San Antonio what they are lacking Rim potection

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton looked good tonight against the Spurs: 9-14 FGs, 3-5 3ptFG, 21 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In recent interviews, Hassan Whiteside has repeatedly said the player he patterns himself after most is David Robinson... Would this give the Spurs an edge in free agency?

My favorite Free agent targets:

SG/SF: Khris Middleton. Has improved every month this season with increased minutes. Great DRtg numbers, great 3pt%, best +/- on his team. I think he's the best under-the-radar FA in the NBA right now. A three man swing rotation of Kawhi/Danny/Middleton might be the best defensively in the league.

Bigs:
    Whiteside
    Brandan Wright

Whiteside has a higher ceiling and will demand more money. Can he keep up his incredible run? He's the bigger risk. Wright has shown again and again that he's a reliable positive impact player as a 20 mpg back up.

Stretch 4:
    Jonas Jerebko

Similar to Wright in the sense that he can be an effective 20 mpg player. Will probably be a bargain. Good 3pt shooter, plays with effort on defensive side. Improvement/replacement for Bonner/Aryes.
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 02-02-2015 at 02:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In recent interviews, Hassan Whiteside has repeatedly said the player he patterns himself after most is David Robinson... Would this give the Spurs an edge in free agency?

My favorite Free agent targets:

SG/SF: Khris Middleton. Has improved every month this season with increased minutes. Great DRtg numbers, great 3pt%, best +/- on his team. I think he's the best under-the-radar FA in the NBA right now. A three man swing rotation of Kawhi/Danny/Middleton might be the best defensively in the league.

Bigs:
    Whiteside
    Brandan Wright

Whiteside has a higher ceiling and will demand more money. Can he keep up his incredible run? He's the bigger risk. Wright has shown again and again that he's a reliable positive impact player as a 20 mpg back up.

Stretch 4:
    Jonas Jerebko

Similar to Wright in the sense that he can be an effective 20 mpg player. Will probably be a bargain. Good 3pt shooter, plays with effort on defensive side. Improvement/replacement for Bonner/Aryes.
    Whiteside is on a two year contract. Ira Winderman just did a piece about his contract for a Miami newspaper:

In locking up Whiteside to a two-year deal that includes a non-guaranteed 2015-16 season at the NBA minimum, the Heat put themselves in position where they will have no choice but to allow the emerging center to become an unrestricted free agent in July 2016. Under NBA rules, contracts shorter than three years in length, such as Whiteside's, cannot be extended. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Felt like being lazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whiteside is on a two year contract. Ira Winderman just did a piece about his contract for a Miami newspaper:

In locking up Whiteside to a two-year deal that includes a non-guaranteed 2015-16 season at the NBA minimum, the Heat put themselves in position where they will have no choice but to allow the emerging center to become an unrestricted free agent in July 2016. Under NBA rules, contracts shorter than three years in length, such as Whiteside's, cannot be extended. South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    It was actually a good thing that they gave him the two-year deal. They at least get his EB rights now. Had he only had a one-year deal, he would have been extremely easy to lure away -- anything above the MLE would have been impossible to match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was actually a good thing that they gave him the two-year deal. They at least get his EB rights now. Had he only had a one-year deal, he would have been extremely easy to lure away -- anything above the MLE would have been impossible to match.
    Clearly.

I included the quote from the article because Mr Bones and I have discussed whether or not Whiteside has a second year on his contract in another thread. The various salary websites were not in agreement, but the article would seem to settle the issue. Whiteside won't be a FA in 2015.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly.

I included the quote from the article because Mr Bones and I have discussed whether or not Whiteside has a second year on his contract in another thread. The various salary websites were not in agreement, but the article would seem to settle the issue. Whiteside won't be a FA in 2015.
    I hear you. I was just talking about the article. Under no cir stances did the Heat make a poor decision locking Whiteside up to the extra year.

He wasn't a great fit for FA anyway. Nice addition, but not a great pairing with Tiago. Though it seems extremely likely that the Spurs end up with no cap space for yet another year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks, I just saw this too... what a deal for them... Damn, Whiteside could play 35 mpg next year and potentially be one of the better centers in the league while making the minimum...crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middleton with another very impressive game (though it was against the defense of the Lakers): 45 mins, 21 pts, 7 rebs, 7 assists, 3 steals, 0 turnovers.
    Unfortunately, he's playing so well now that more and more media sources are taking notice. He's becoming the new Draymond Green, which means the prospect of a free agency bargain is getting more remote each day.

Thread Information