Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Powell, anyone? Odds are the Spurs aren't going to get any starter-quality big men this summer, so might as well start looking for diamonds in the rough. Powell had a decent season in Dallas, is 24, and looks like he can carve out a role as a rotation big soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Mahinmi's past connection to the Spurs is an advantage or a disadvantage? Does he resent them for lack of playing time in the past, or miss playing with Parker & Boris? I've never read anything from him referencing the situation. For a reasonable price, he's an interesting option. Someone is going to max out or at least come close with Whiteside-- I don't think he's a realistic option. I'd be shocked if the Spurs would even consider him due to his immaturity.

One of the most underrated free agents this summer in my opinion will be Marvin Williams. He'll be 30 in June, has a few more years left in his prime, and just had arguably his best season. He won't demand the money of a top FA, and could back up both LMA and Kawhi. He could possibly even be the C in small ball line ups. If the Spurs can find another way to improve at the guard positions (via trade or draft), he might be a good option. He has added the 3 pt shot to his game and improved as a rebounder, and was surprisingly ranked 6th among PFs in RPM, ahead of guys like Blake Griffin, LMA, and Anthony Davis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never heard anything from Mahinmi. He has returned to SA in at least one summer to train with Duncan & others so that relationship is good.

He would be close to ideal. Pricey, but should be less than the max and leave room to get guys like Bertans and odds and ends. He was one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA, protects the rim and is handles pick & rolls a lot better than Spurs centers. Can finish strong. Doesn't need the ball. Has relationships on the team & in the city. Knows the system as it used to be and could probably pick up on the changes quicker than any new player would the whole thing.

But ... he's 30 next season and finished this year with back issues that limited him to about one great playoff game. I wouldn't be surprised that if he signed a 4 year deal anywhere that he would only be effective the first two seasons then be a problem as age and injury ruin his athleticism and he no longer guards the pick & roll well, finishes less, and is slower to contest shots. A backup paid like a good starter.

And of course Pop screwed him over pretty hard his last season here. One thing for Pop is that he does seem to maintain good relationships regardless of what he did. Hill still likes him. Bowen has never had a bad word for Pop despite the same not being true in reverse. So maybe Ian doesn't mind.

I do think it might be a 4/60 deal though.

As far as Marvin Williams goes, he's routinely only performed in contract years and been mediocre or worse otherwise. And he's been getting paid like Splitter and will probably want a raise to 10+ annually. No thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never heard anything from Mahinmi. He has returned to SA in at least one summer to train with Duncan & others so that relationship is good.

He would be close to ideal. Pricey, but should be less than the max and leave room to get guys like Bertans and odds and ends. He was one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA, protects the rim and is handles pick & rolls a lot better than Spurs centers. Can finish strong. Doesn't need the ball. Has relationships on the team & in the city. Knows the system as it used to be and could probably pick up on the changes quicker than any new player would the whole thing.

But ... he's 30 next season and finished this year with back issues that limited him to about one great playoff game. I wouldn't be surprised that if he signed a 4 year deal anywhere that he would only be effective the first two seasons then be a problem as age and injury ruin his athleticism and he no longer guards the pick & roll well, finishes less, and is slower to contest shots. A backup paid like a good starter.

And of course Pop screwed him over pretty hard his last season here. One thing for Pop is that he does seem to maintain good relationships regardless of what he did. Hill still likes him. Bowen has never had a bad word for Pop despite the same not being true in reverse. So maybe Ian doesn't mind.

As far as Marvin Williams goes, he's routinely only performed in contract years and been mediocre or worse otherwise. And he's been getting paid like Splitter and will probably want a raise to 10+ annually. No thanks.
    No thanks to 4/50-60 for Yanny.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that 4/60 is high, but I don't think I'd mind 4/50.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd rather have the younger Miles Plumlee. He will also cost less, but give you the same production.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that 4/60 is high, but I don't think I'd mind 4/50.
    I'd rather attempt to trade Diaw for Koufos (Kings have 3 rotation centers, zero rotation power forwards), who has 3 years/$25.5 M remaining on his contract, than sign Mahinmi, who's 3 years older and a year removed from being an inferior player, to that.

They'll probably just look to sign Gasol and re-sign Marjanovic, but if the plan is more of a younger, dirty work type, I'd rather have Koufos, Aldrich or Plumlee, at a fraction of the cost of Mahinmi or Mozgov, unless they can someone solve the other issues while splurging on a center.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plummer at 4/32 might be a better value dollar for dollar versus 4/50 for Ian, but Mahinmi would still be better. No one wants to give Ian credit, but he was the starting center and absolute anchor of the third best defense in the league. Not a backup on a bottom third defense. Ian is proven. He's done it. Plumlee and Koufos haven't.

I don't think I've ever liked Koufos. I don't think I've ever watched his pick and roll defense closely though. But didn't the Kings just hire Joeger as coach, who had Koufos in Memphis? They might want to hang on to him. I don't have any love left for Diaw so I'm not opposed to being rid of him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plumlee (Plummer) is known for his defense and rebounding. He is also a very athletic center. You can't fault him for the entire TEAM defense. Plus look at his coach. Kidd is terrible. And they went with Monroe at center who would start over Ian also. And Monroe isn't very good defensively.
    Last edited by palangi; 05-30-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plummee is good 4th/5th big material. Definitely will get overpaid tho. 4/32 for a guy who was ok at best is way too steep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Powell, anyone? Odds are the Spurs aren't going to get any starter-quality big men this summer, so might as well start looking for diamonds in the rough. Powell had a decent season in Dallas, is 24, and looks like he can carve out a role as a rotation big soon.
    I read somewhere that Dallas sees him as a foundation player moving forward, him and Justin Anderson. They don't have much in the way of young promising prospects and these two have played well for them in small roles. I don't think Dallas lets him go.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plummee is good 4th/5th big material. Definitely will get overpaid tho. 4/32 for a guy who was ok at best is way too steep.
    Plumlee is very similar to Ian, who a lot here are clamoring for. For what we need plumper would be a great starter next to LMA. And at a cheaper price.

i wanted his brother last offseason and many here bagged me for it. Let's not miss out on the other one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plumlee is very similar to Ian, who a lot here are clamoring for. For what we need plumper would be a great starter next to LMA. And at a cheaper price.

i wanted his brother last offseason and many here bagged me for it. Let's not miss out on the other one.
    I would like to see us sign Plumlee as well....also of note, there is a younger Plumlee..Marshall I think...who is in the draft this year and will either go late in the 2nd or undrafted...Similar player..certainly not ready to see big minutes but he's interesting in the right scheme...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plummer at 4/32 might be a better value dollar for dollar versus 4/50 for Ian, but Mahinmi would still be better. No one wants to give Ian credit, but he was the starting center and absolute anchor of the third best defense in the league. Not a backup on a bottom third defense. Ian is proven. He's done it. Plumlee and Koufos haven't.

I don't think I've ever liked Koufos. I don't think I've ever watched his pick and roll defense closely though. But didn't the Kings just hire Joeger as coach, who had Koufos in Memphis? They might want to hang on to him. I don't have any love left for Diaw so I'm not opposed to being rid of him.
    While difficult to project what the vast majority of players will get this summer, I'd be surprised if Plumlee gets 4/32.

In a vacuum, sure, I'd probably go with Mahinmi out of the three, but he's not worth the likely significant difference in salary, which matters when you've got as many significant holes as the Spurs do, with as little assets and financial flexibility as they have.

I'm not crazy about Koufos, but he's a similar enough (albeit, less mobile) type, who's younger and will be significantly cheaper.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the salary cap going up so dramatically this summer, I believe that leaves at least 15 teams below the NBA's minimum payroll requirement-- that's going to create some very strange scenarios. If poor teams with lots of cap room simply strike out in the free agency hunt, they'll be left with having to pay minimum type players more, or possibly trading for players with bigger contracts to reach the payroll minimum. Charlotte might have this issue-- they have 4 key players who will be free agents, so if they lose a few of them and can't attract other FAs to replace them, they might be forced to look at Sign & trades that bring back some salaries...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laziness knows no bounds. That, and I figured how to rename threads quickly. Had to try it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the salary cap going up so dramatically this summer, I believe that leaves at least 15 teams below the NBA's minimum payroll requirement-- that's going to create some very strange scenarios. If poor teams with lots of cap room simply strike out in the free agency hunt, they'll be left with having to pay minimum type players more, or possibly trading for players with bigger contracts to reach the payroll minimum. Charlotte might have this issue-- they have 4 key players who will be free agents, so if they lose a few of them and can't attract other FAs to replace them, they might be forced to look at Sign & trades that bring back some salaries...
    The floor is no big deal. Even if a team doesn't hit it, they can simply be charged the difference and it's paid to their current players.

I find that more appealing than signing someone you don't want to a bigger/longer term deal for cap reasons. You are paying that amount no matter what and might as well have it just be a one year hit with no future ramifications. Sure, I think you may see some of what you say, but I don't think the floor is a huge reason why...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuzmimskas just been cut by NY.
    Imho very good system player worth to be signed as soon as possible...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuzmimskas just been cut by NY.
    Imho very good system player worth to be signed as soon as possible...
    Who do you cut? Bertans, Forbes or Paul?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes for a 2 draft choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AaronY

"nother level"

Thread Information