Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess: Spurs re-sign Diaw, sign LJC and use the MLE to sign three prospects to long-term, Blair-like deals. They may also use their pick on a domestic player, but I think they stash him unless he's a steal.

Bertans, Denmon and Richards are my three, but they may bring in Thomas for Richards, as his ship may have sailed. See Mills moving on along with Baynes.

That sets up the team in great position for 2015, while giving a lot of young players time in Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Denmon or Richards making it, but the overall plan sounds good, assuming Jean Charles and Bertans have recovered well. I think Baynes, De Colo, and Bonner will be gone (Bonner a coach?) and Diaw will be back. Mills, I would have agreed about before the season when I thought Joseph was a lock for backup point guard. Now I kind of think he'll be back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think mills is staying. i hope diaw is staying. i hope ljc comes over already. i imagine bertans and hanga are more likely. it's really on tim and manu to retire or not. i think big is the biggest spot to address this offseason. i like baynes and splitter. i think timmy is going another year. but i don't like ayers and baynes is foul trouble for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess: Spurs re-sign Diaw, sign LJC and use the MLE to sign three prospects to long-term, Blair-like deals. They may also use their pick on a domestic player, but I think they stash him unless he's a steal.

Bertans, Denmon and Richards are my three, but they may bring in Thomas for Richards, as his ship may have sailed. See Mills moving on along with Baynes.

That sets up the team in great position for 2015, while giving a lot of young players time in Austin.
    None of those 3 players will likely ever play for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of those 3 players will likely ever play for the Spurs.
    Can certainly see that. But I don't think it's set in stone, especially for Denmon. He was a good scorer and decent defender. While being bigger than Mills. If Patty moves on, Denmon is likely to be a candidate to take his spot.

In general, I thinks it's likely that the team uses its MLE on one-year deals or long-term deals they can get out of after a year. If any prospects really want to come over, it makes more sense to lock them up for cheap in case they blow up. Using the MLE to sign Denmon to a three-year contract doesn't mean he'd be any more than camp fodder.

But maybe they won't really care about 2015 cap space as much as we assume they do and sign a better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much do you think we can get together for a free agent SF this year? Diaw should be our first priority, do you think he'd take 85m/2yr or 13m/3yr? If his deal starts around £4m, we use our pick on a draft and stash and dump Josephs £2m somewhere we could have around £6-7m.

Enough for Shawn Marion? He'd be excellent on the Spurs, would be a great player for Kawhi to learn from.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure he'd love $85 Million over two years.

In all seriousness, I'd rather the team pay what makes sense to keep everybody, bring over LJC and their first, and then offer a one-year MLE deal to Marion. I think Dallas will outbid $7 Million if they really want to keep him. Not worth making that many moves to use cap space at all next season unless Duncan retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In all seriousness, I'd rather the team pay what makes sense to keep everybody, bring over LJC and their first, and then offer a one-year MLE deal to Marion. I think Dallas will outbid $7 Million if they really want to keep him. Not worth making that many moves to use cap space at all next season unless Duncan retires.
    True I think Dallas would out bid us, and he probably wouldn't want to move but you never know. I meant $8.5m for Diaw. As I said in another thread, I'm not sure he'll generate much interest on the market after his problems earlier in his career, plus he'll be 32 by the time free agency rolls around.

Another should could be Trevor Ariza. Defender, champion, can play the 2 or 3 and makes three pointers. Making $7.7m this year and has been on a losing team for a long while, maybe he'd be interested in winning something again. Would also make Green expendable as a possible trade chip as the front office might not want to pay him in 2015.

A wing rotation of Kawhi/Green/Ariza would be dominant defensively. Only worry would be on the other end and $7m might be too much to pay for a backup, even if he is a starting quality player.
    Last edited by Richie; 01-24-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thabo Sefolosha would be a nice lower cost alternative. Doesn't hit the three at a great % but this guy always seems to hit them when it counts. Great defender who won't need to adjust much to fit in as the backup SF. Would be awesome to take him from OKC.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh smith is available should we move splitter+Bonner for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thabo Sefolosha would be a nice lower cost alternative. Doesn't hit the three at a great % but this guy always seems to hit them when it counts. Great defender who won't need to adjust much to fit in as the backup SF. Would be awesome to take him from OKC.
    Expect the Thunder to match any MLE level offer to Thabo, and we don't have enough cap room to offer more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance of pursuing Tyler Hansbrough?????
    Spurs need some NASTY and some PSYCHO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can't offer the MLE for just one year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expect the Thunder to match any MLE level offer to Thabo, and we don't have enough cap room to offer more
    Not unless they amnesty Perk. They've been rumored to do that...for the last 2 offseasons, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. They let Harden go over about $1.5M per season. They will NOT pay the tax under any cir stances. They have $68M committed for next year to only 11 players with no options or cuts available. That's straight on committed salary. I'm not sure they would even re-sign him for the $3.9M he made this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't offer the MLE for just one year.
    Yes you can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it's kinda out of left field but I'd strongly consider going after Stephenson if it's even remotely possible...

Trade the first rounder along with Ayres to free more cap space... Maybe trade Beli/Green as well for additional cap relief and 2015 picks...

I mean there's no opening for our first rounder anyways save maybe a backup PG, but this is not a team for a rookie... Stephenson can be the backup PG anyway...

Kawhi Green
    Stephenson Manu
    TP Stephenson

That'd be incredible tbh , small ball lineup could go toe to toe with GS and the Rockets any day... Let Mills the midget get overpaid by another team and hope Boris accept to sign for the MLE or something...

Bench defense skyrockets which is virtually the main achille heel right now... I mean you replace Mills Beli with Stephenson and you could look at the best defense in the league, maybe not quite with Duncan slowing down but still...

Manu replacement : check, """only""" have a to get a Duncan replacement at that point... Well we can't get it the draft so getting a young star on the team would help to sell an elite big on coming to SA... No one wants to play with only role players and tosb...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephenson is like a more talented Green who has no idea how to play system basketball. He can do a lot of things well, but he can do none as well as he thinks he can. That's pretty much the opposite of what the Spurs need.

There are teams like Cleveland, Chicago and Memphis who could use a talent infusion. But the Spurs don't need to give up a pick, pay a who bunch of money and mess up their rotation for a guy whom Pop would hate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephenson is like a more talented Green who has no idea how to play system basketball. He can do a lot of things well, but he can do none as well as he thinks he can. That's pretty much the opposite of what the Spurs need.

There are teams like Cleveland, Chicago and Memphis who could use a talent infusion. But the Spurs don't need to give up a pick, pay a who bunch of money and mess up their rotation for a guy whom Pop would hate.
    Agree completely, Stephenson couldn't be less of a Spurs player. Would be a huge backward step to sign him, especially if it meant getting rid of excellent (and cheap) system players like Green, Beli and Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely, Stephenson couldn't be less of a Spurs player. Would be a huge backward step to sign him, especially if it meant getting rid of excellent (and cheap) system players like Green, Beli and Mills.
    Not sure about Stephenson but you on the other couldn't be more of a true Spurs fan, over valuing depth and one dimensional end of the bench scrubs that only ever help win regular season championships...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"More talented Green" lol, Stephenson can create off the dribble, he has nothing in common with Green aside from defense and he's better at it... I could see a comparison with Tyreke Evans or something...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "More talented Green" lol, Stephenson can create off the dribble, he has nothing in common with Green aside from defense and he's better at it... I could see a comparison with Tyreke Evans or something...
    Probably equal as a defender and worse shooter. Doesn't seem as smart and much less stable emotionally. He's more talented, but he's still not all that talented.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about Stephenson but you on the other couldn't be more of a true Spurs fan, over valuing depth and one dimensional end of the bench scrubs that only ever help win regular season championships...
    It took us 28 seconds from the NBA Championship last year. Any of a dozen things could have happened differently, from grabbing a rebound to hitting a free throw, and we're reigning champs right now.

Only ever win regular season championships? Please...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely, Stephenson couldn't be less of a Spurs player.
    This. Discussing Stephenson as a free agent target is pure fantasy. The Spurs would never pursue him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Discussing Stephenson as a free agent target is pure fantasy. The Spurs would never pursue him.
    Not only that, I feel like he's going to get massively overpaid this summer. He's a good player who can make things happen, but he's an unrestricted free agent and some team will offer him $10m/yr or more.

Thread Information