Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The strong academic performance of ResponsiveEd schools is evidenced by state and federal accountability results, accreditation, and partnerships.

State and Federal Accountability

The test data used for the Report began in 2005-06 and ended in 2009-10. During that time, ResponsiveEd operated 12 college-prep schools and 22 dropout recovery and prevention high schools. During the final year of the Report, ResponsiveEd delivered some of the best academic results in the State of Texas—as evidenced by both state and federal accountability results.

State Accountability

Under the Texas accountability system, schools are rated according to the following scale, ranging from lowest to highest: “Academically Unacceptable,” “Academically Acceptable,” “Recognized,” and “Exemplary.” During the final year of the Report, 92% of ResponsiveEd college-prep schools were rated either “Recognized” or “Exemplary”—no school was rated “Academically Unacceptable.” That same year, 100% of ResponsiveEd’s dropout recovery and prevention schools earned the highest possible academic rating given by the Texas Education Agency.

Federal Accountability

Under the “No Child Left Behind Act of 2001,” all public schools—including charter schools—are evaluated for Adequate Yearly Progress (“AYP”). Under this federal accountability system, schools are rated according to the following scale, ranging from lowest to highest: “Missed AYP” (designating a “campus that does not meet AYP standards on one or more indicator components”) and “Meets AYP” (designating a “campus that meets AYP standards on all indicators for which it is evaluated”). During the final year of the CREDO Report, 100% of all ResponsiveEd schools were rated “Meets AYP.” This is especially impressive given that ResponsiveEd operated 22 dropout recovery and prevention high schools that year. As explained by the National Education Policy Center, “Those [organizations] managing schools that target more disadvantaged populations are more likely to not make adequate yearly progress, while [organizations] whose schools have college prep profiles or serve few disadvantaged students have a much better chance of making AYP.”

Accreditation

ResponsiveEd is accredited by AdvancED (formerly known as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools), the largest educational accreditation agency in the United States. In its official 2012 “Quality Assurance Review Report,” AdvancED rated ResponsiveEd “Highly Functional” in the “Teaching & Learning” standard of the review, making the following specific findings:
    ◦“The district is committed to providing each student a well-designed curriculum. The curriculum is aligned with the state standards and meets the requirements of the No Child Left Behind performance targets.”
    ◦“[A]cademically struggling students are identified and instructional intervention strategies are implemented to ensure content mastery.”
    ◦“The development of quality curriculum materials in each content area is an innovative and effective way of providing an environment conducive to student learning.”
    ◦“The district has also embraced the concepts of individual learning styles in each school.”
    ◦“The district programs are focused on interventions that help students meet state and district expectations for learning.”
    ◦“[T]he primary focus of their educational programs is on student learning outcomes . . . .”
    ◦“[T]he curriculum is reviewed yearly and revised according to state and district standards. The district uses its master teachers yearly to review, revise, and update curriculum on all content areas.”

Partnerships

While ResponsiveEd’s strong academic performance is best evidenced by the objective academic results noted above, it is also evidenced by the strong partnerships we have developed over the years with organizations such as the Texas Education Agency, Walton Family Foundation, and the Austin Independent School District.

Texas Education Agency

ResponsiveEd’s primary Texas charter authorizer, the Texas Education Agency, has affirmed the academic performance of our schools by allowing us the unprecedented freedom to open and operate an unlimited number of schools within Texas. In a letter dated August 23, 2012, the Texas Education Agency notified ResponsiveEd that we were approved to expand—at our sole discretion—for a period of three years. This is a strong statement from the Texas Education Agency that they consider ResponsiveEd to be among the highest-quality charter operators in the state.

Walton Family Foundation

In 2012, the Walton Family Foundation awarded ResponsiveEd more than $1.2 million dollars to support “Arkansas Education,” more than any other organization in that category except the Arkansans for Educational Reform Foundation. In a press release dated January 29, 2013, the Walton Family Foundation noted that, “[i]n 2012, the foundation supported the introduction of the highly successful charter management organization Responsive Education Solutions to Arkansas which led to the approval of three new public charter schools that will open in the 2013-14 school year.”

Austin Independent School District

ResponsiveEd’s academic success with its dropout recovery and prevention high schools has led to a recent partnership with the Austin Independent School District (“AISD”) to open ResponsiveEd learning centers within two AISD campuses. Pleased with the academic success of those students attending the ResponsiveEd program, the AISD board of trustees unanimously voted to renew its contract with ResponsiveEd on December 12, 2012.

Consequently, contrary to CREDO’s suggestion that its conclusions could indicate “a larger pattern of weak performance” on the part of ResponsiveEd schools, ResponsiveEd’s state and federal accountability results, accreditation, and partnerships indicate a pattern of strong academic performance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The strong academic performance of ResponsiveEd schools is evidenced by state and federal accountability results, accreditation, and partnerships.
    no link for this puff piece, press release?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no link for this puff piece, press release?
    Is going to their website too hard for you? Do you dispute the academic record they cite?

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Kids don't learn anything from standardized tests except how to take them. Texas schools are a joke. Kids don't learn anything that will help them in life. Reading and doing simple math are great but what about actual life skills?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is going to their website too hard for you? Do you dispute the academic record they cite?
    You believe THEIR self-congratulating web site?

The CREDO Stanford review and

"[Hitler] has written that the Aryan (German) race would be the leader in all human progress. To accomplish that goal, all “lower races” should either be enslaved or eliminated. Apparently the theory of evolution and its “survival of the fittest” philosophy had taken root in Hitler’s warped mind."

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/25/chri...spired_hitler/

... combined with for-profit-is-our-priority charter schools ( tiest possible product highest possible price) is enough for me, but you can try to pry open my uninformed mind.

over to you ...

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Kids don't learn anything from standardized tests except how to take them. Texas schools are a joke. Kids don't learn anything that will help them in life. Reading and doing simple math are great but what about actual life skills?
    All 50 states are like that courtesy of No Child Left Behind, they emphasis the out of standardized testing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You believe THEIR self-congratulating web site?
    As much as I would opinion pieces from slate & salon. Maybe you can find something from a reliable source like alternet.

Are they lying about their performance results?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want to get the public funding, they have to pass the standardized tests and "perform" adequately... that doesn't mean the curriculum they teach don't take a turns into alarming wacko areas...

Particularly, I don't see anything there that falsifies what the article stated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In other words, teaching a kid "how feminism forced women to 'turn to the state as a surrogate husband.'" probably won't affect their academic scoring, but is still teaching kids baloney.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This week in the War on Workers: Charter cheerleaders reject accountability

A whopping 80% of special-needs kids who enroll as kindergartners in city charter schools leave by the time they reach third grade, a report by the Independent Budget Office released Thursday shows.

Nine of the 17 schools that closed in 2013 lasted only a few months this past fall. When they closed, more than 250 students had to find new schools. The state spent more than $1.6 million in taxpayer money to keep the nine schools open only from August through October or November.
    But while 2013 was unusual, closings are not rare. A Dispatch analysis of state data found that 29 percent of Ohio’s charter schools have shut, dating to 1997 when the publicly funded but often privately run schools became legal in Ohio. Nearly 400 currently are operating, about 75 of them in Columbus.

Mic e Rhee's StudentsFirst once again released its education report card, which measures states not on their educational outcomes but on whether they have corporate education policies in place. That means you get gems like Louisiana getting a B- while Connecticut got a D+, even though Connecticut's educational outcomes are substantially better than Louisiana's. Hilarious, isn't it, how the people who scream the most loudly about accountability when it comes to teachers tasked with educating the most challenged students absolutely reject accountability when it comes to their own policies?

===

Mic e Rhee's StudentsFirst once again released its education report card, which measures states not on their educational outcomes but on whether they have corporate education policies in place. That means you get gems like Louisiana getting a B- while Connecticut got a D+, even though Connecticut's educational outcomes are substantially better than Louisiana's.

Hilarious, isn't it, how the people who scream the most loudly about accountability when it comes to teachers tasked with educating the most challenged students absolutely reject accountability when it comes to their own policies?

http://www.dailykos.com/blog/labor/

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-19-2014 at 09:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I asked you to please keep it clean...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas GOP candidates agree: Teach creationism and ‘always err on the side of life’

All four candidates also agreed that creationism and intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution in Texas schools, and Patterson advocated a comparative religion course for students.

“I think kids growing up in Texas ought to learn about other religions as well,” Patterson said. “In part so they feel comfortable with their own (and) in part because they see some of the things that would give them pause.”

Patrick and Dewhurst emphasized that they’re Christians who believe in the Bible-based story of creation.

“When it comes to creationism, not only should it be taught, it should be triumphed (and) it should be heralded,” Patrick said.

Dewhurst said he understood that creationism alone could not be taught in schools, but he thought it should be taught alongside science to allow students to decide for themselves what to believe.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/2...e+Raw+Story%29

ing assholes, typical red-state asshole Repugs

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    hey mouse, congratulations on your test score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (image claiming Job 40 refers to apatasaurs)
    Apologists want that passage and job 41 to talk about dinosaurs. The far more likely explanation concerns creatures that actually were alive and living in the area at the time the sections of the bible were written, with a little embellishment.

“I will not fail to speak of Leviathan’s limbs,
    its strength and its graceful form.
    13 Who can strip off its outer coat?
    Who can penetrate its double coat of armor[b]?
    14 Who dares open the doors of its mouth,
    ringed about with fearsome teeth?
    15 Its back has[c] rows of shields
    tightly sealed together;
    16 each is so close to the next
    that no air can pass between.
    17 They are joined fast to one another;
    they cling together and cannot be parted.
    18 Its snorting throws out flashes of light;
    its eyes are like the rays of dawn.
    19 Flames stream from its mouth;
    sparks of fire shoot out.
    20 Smoke pours from its nostrils
    as from a boiling pot over burning reeds.
    21 Its breath sets coals ablaze,
    and flames dart from its mouth.
    22 Strength resides in its neck;
    dismay goes before it.
    23 The folds of its flesh are tightly joined;
    they are firm and immovable.
    24 Its chest is hard as rock,
    hard as a lower millstone.
    25 When it rises up, the mighty are terrified;
    they retreat before its thrashing.
    26 The sword that reaches it has no effect,
    nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin.
    27 Iron it treats like straw
    and bronze like rotten wood.
    28 Arrows do not make it flee;
    slingstones are like chaff to it.
    29 A club seems to it but a piece of straw;
    it laughs at the rattling of the lance.
    30 Its undersides are jagged potsherds,
    leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fire breathing dinosaur of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What really happened...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Fish Crawled Out of the Water…and Into Creationists' Nightmares

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...nist-nightmare

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "apparently God isn't a big fan of the school".

Here is page 2:

My daughter told me earlier this year that her science told her that exact last thing on the test.

"when someone tells you that evolution happened, you go the robdiaz route and say "how do you know how do you know how do you know" over and over."

Lol I have to just say "hmmm that's interesting" for now. Science is her least favorite subject any way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hobby Lobby President's Bible Curriculum to be Taught in OK Public Schools Next Year

This week the Mustang, OK, school board voted to implement a Bible course developed by the president of Hobby Lobby, Steve Green.
    Mustang will be the only public school district in the state to pilot the program. Green hopes the course, which teaches about the "narrative, history, and impact" of the Bible, will be in "hundreds" of schools in 2015 and thousands the year after.

Anybody thinking "What's the harm in offering optional, objective history classes on the importance of this historical book?" needs to be aware that Green has publicly acknowledgedhis hope that such courses become mandatory in public schools:

"That would be the goal, to reintroduce this book to this nation, because it is in danger, because of its ignorance, of what God has taught. There is [sic] lessons of the past that we can learn from the dangers of ignorance of this book. We need to know it, and if we don’t know it, our future is going to be very scary. Some day, [teaching the Bible] should be mandated. Here’s a book that’s impacted our world unlike any other and you’re not going to teach it?"

Green's zeal for the Bible has also inspired him to build a $70 million museum to the Good Book in Washington DC, opening in 2017.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...?detail=email#

Religion makes you ing stupid.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "apparently God isn't a big fan of the school".

Here is page 2:

My daughter told me earlier this year that her science told her that exact last thing on the test.

"when someone tells you that evolution happened, you go the robdiaz route and say "how do you know how do you know how do you know" over and over."

Lol I have to just say "hmmm that's interesting" for now. Science is her least favorite subject any way.
    Go to admin., have her switch classes.
    She is not in a science class if her science teacher stated this.
    And the teacher should get a reprimand and required to take science education classes over. A number of refresher courses are clearly needed. You can push this if you want. As long as the teacher admits to stating such.
    Science should be the favorite class...imo of course.

How do we know that George Washington even existed. Where you there? See how her history teacher takes this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half of Americans Aren’t Sure Big Bang Happened

. The Big Bang fared the worst, with 51 percent of of those asked saying they were either “not too confident” or “not confident at all” that the universe began with an explosion 13.8 billion years ago.

From the AP’s analysis of the findings:

Those results depress and upset some of America's top scientists, including several Nobel Prize winners, who vouched for the science in the statements tested, calling them settled scientific facts. "Science ignorance is pervasive in our society, and these at udes are reinforced when some of our leaders are openly antagonistic to established facts,"

found less support for the Big Bang theory among Republicans, people who regularly attended church, and those with “faith in a supreme being.”

There were also respondents who weren’t comfortable with a theory about something that happened when no one was around to see it,

Statements about evolution, climate change, and and the age of the Earth also faced strong resistance in the poll,

“smoking causes cancer” topped the list of accepted scientific theories, with 94 percent of respondents saying they were “extremely,” “very,” or “somewhat” confident it was correct. Mental illness as a brain disease, genetic code theory, and concerns about the overuse of antibiotics leading to drug-resistant bacteria all found wide support in the poll.

http://mobile.boston.com/news/nation...qFO/story.html

Repugs and Christians, just stupid, ignorant ers.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half of Americans Aren’t Sure Big Bang Happened

. The Big Bang fared the worst, with 51 percent of of those asked saying they were either “not too confident” or “not confident at all” that the universe began with an explosion 13.8 billion years ago.

From the AP’s analysis of the findings:

Those results depress and upset some of America's top scientists, including several Nobel Prize winners, who vouched for the science in the statements tested, calling them settled scientific facts. "Science ignorance is pervasive in our society, and these at udes are reinforced when some of our leaders are openly antagonistic to established facts,"

found less support for the Big Bang theory among Republicans, people who regularly attended church, and those with “faith in a supreme being.”

There were also respondents who weren’t comfortable with a theory about something that happened when no one was around to see it,

Statements about evolution, climate change, and and the age of the Earth also faced strong resistance in the poll,

“smoking causes cancer” topped the list of accepted scientific theories, with 94 percent of respondents saying they were “extremely,” “very,” or “somewhat” confident it was correct. Mental illness as a brain disease, genetic code theory, and concerns about the overuse of antibiotics leading to drug-resistant bacteria all found wide support in the poll.

http://mobile.boston.com/news/nation...qFO/story.html

Repugs and Christians, just stupid, ignorant ers.

Never mistake evil for stupidity son

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go to admin., have her switch classes.
    She is not in a science class if her science teacher stated this.
    And the teacher should get a reprimand and required to take science education classes over. A number of refresher courses are clearly needed. You can push this if you want. As long as the teacher admits to stating such.
    Science should be the favorite class...imo of course.

How do we know that George Washington even existed. Where you there? See how her history teacher takes this.
    It's a private school using the crazy ass Beka books.

It sucks they teach this , but I'd still prefer that over sending her to public middle school.

No reason to push anything when they can and probably would just tell me to pull her out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never mistake evil for stupidity son
    Repug politicians aren't stupid, ignorant. They're smart enough to sucker, very successfully, long term, their stupid, ignorant, white, rural, racist Christian base with their 4-card monte of god-guns-gay-gynocology

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a private school using the crazy ass Beka books.

It sucks they teach this , but I'd still prefer that over sending her to public middle school.

No reason to push anything when they can and probably would just tell me to pull her out.
    So I gather the public schools must be pretty bad for your location?

If it's like a few of the private religious schools here in San Antonio, the "science" teacher probably got vetted to make sure she/he was not a science teacher when hired.

Thread Information