adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    USC Trojans
    Post Count
    Is this guy a good coach or not? Curious how UT fans feel about him, tbh. Seems like everytime anybody pays attention to UT basketball for any reason his team will immediately begin to the bed.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I anticipate most saying no, which is fair, but I think he's a solid developer, better recruiter, but merely a passable X/Os tactician.

He's similar to Mark Few. If he were at Baylor, Tech, or A&M, most would find him good. But even at a football school, with as much talent as he gets, most will argue he's underachieved.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I anticipate most saying no, which is fair, but I think he's a solid developer, better recruiter, but merely a passable X/Os tactician.

He's similar to Mark Few. If he were at Baylor, Tech, or A&M, most would find him good. But even at a football school, with as much talent as he gets, most will argue he's underachieved.
    Fair assessment. I am surprised how well the team is doing this year after all the attrition.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I wouldn't want him at Tech.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Fair assessment. I am surprised how well the team is doing this year after all the attrition.
    Several UT friends of mine thought this might be the season that gets him fired.

Your AD isn't a basketball guy, so he may just wait a few years before doing anything.

But he's increasingly losing the top talent in the region/state to Kansas/Kentucky (acceptable), Baylor and, now, SMU (unacceptable). He needs to get his recruiting mojo again.

Considering Durant and Aldridge's names, I'm shocked it has fallen off to this level.

Miles Turner could change that.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I think if losing to Kansas in recruiting is acceptable that losing to Larry Brown is too.

Has shaken hands with #50 ThePop's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    "Seems like everytime anybody pays attention to UT basketball for any reason his team will immediately begin to the bed."

Sounds about right.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I think if losing to Kansas in recruiting is acceptable that losing to Larry Brown is too.
    No. Brown is old, SMU a private school, and SMU has no history of NBA players.

Kansas is Kansas. They are a blue blood. They have prestige, facilities, fans, history, les, NBA players, etc.

And in Turner's case, he grew up a Texas fan. Kansas is understandable, but SMU, regardless of coach, is not. Unless you're implying $MU, and then, yeah, then it's understandable.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    No, slightly above average but as you saw the other day against KState, as soon as the team gets some attention it immediately goes to their heads and he lets it happen.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    No. Brown is old, SMU a private school, and SMU has no history of NBA players.

Kansas is Kansas. They are a blue blood. They have prestige, facilities, fans, history, les, NBA players, etc.

And in Turner's case, he grew up a Texas fan. Kansas is understandable, but SMU, regardless of coach, is not. Unless you're implying $MU, and then, yeah, then it's understandable.
    What does being a private school have to do with anything?

Brown also isn't that much older than Barnes or Pitino. You're underestimating him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...uconn/4319321/

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    If I'm at college, I don't want any religious affiliation whatsoever.

Maybe some don't feel the same.

Brown may not be significantly older, but he's enough, he never stays interested or focused for long, he's a bit of a , and both his previous coaching stops went under investigation for impropriety once he left, as I recall.

Damn good coach, when he wants to be, but he's recruiting highly questionable characters, including Josiah Turner who got kicked off Arizona for excessive pot violations, and now Keith Frazier, who's been busted for cheating. Frazier's mom also constantly reference the decision being a business one, and given SMU's history and a few current connections, I don't doubt money is swapping hands.

Kansas is far superior to SMU in every facet. Self isn't Brown, but he's a of a college coach, and he's got a great rapport with his players, past, present and future.

If Brown were at a school with Kansas' prestige and current success, losing to him would be understandable, but Barnes, at University of Texas, can't lose big recruits to Southern Methodist.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    He is not an x/0 guy. He does not develop talent.

He recruits.

That being said he has tried to better his coaching by asking for help. He was forced to.
    I will say I have seen Texas players actually set good screens, block out, and not get ball faked out of their pants every other defensive stand this season.

We are winning due to outstanding rebounding imo. Holmes getting hurt in the K-State game was the game. Holmes is clearly our best player. Anyone who thinks Barnes is a good x/0 guy needs to understand you are not a good x/0 guy if your players can't perform what is intimated to them.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If I'm at college, I don't want any religious affiliation whatsoever.

Maybe some don't feel the same.
    yeah, hard to see someone wanting to go to a private methodist school like SMU or Duke.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    People go to Duke for the Academics, it's history, it's les, it's NBA draft picks, it's Coach.

Yeah, Brown has a le, but it's 25 years ago.

SMU has none of it beyond Brown.

You've made SMU equivalent to Kansas for recruiting and Duke for whatever.

Really?

SMU, Duke, Kansas.

One of these things is not like the other.

You completely reframe each conversation to a new point.

Barnes is a better recruiter at a better school than Brown at SMU.

Yes, Brown is the better coach and developer of talent, and so I wouldn't argue that SMU should have success equal or better than Texas, but Barnes can't lose his one advantage to SMU.

To teams and coaches like Self and Calipari, who win les and pull in top-5 classes yearly, OK.

To a washed up coach who hasn't won jack or recruited at the college level in 25 years, nope.

Not at Texas.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Wut.

I didn't make SMU equal to Duke or Kansas. I'm just saying I can accept why SMU might steal a recruit or two from Barnes who has never won anything.

Post Count
    He's a slightly above average coach. He has definitely put some players into the league though.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Wut.

I didn't make SMU equal to Duke or Kansas. I'm just saying I can accept why SMU might steal a recruit or two from Barnes who has never won anything.
    Regardless of coach, Texas can't lose Texas recruits to SMU.

To Kansas/Kentucky, fine. SMU, Baylor, Missori, no.

I have lots of respect for Brown, but as a coach. There's no way his 25-yo college le should be out recruiting Barnes.

Sell it.

I coached Danny Manning!

I coached Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge!

Yeah...

If he loses UT fan Miles Turner to SMU he should be fired.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    self was mentioned so i felt compelled to post this:

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Just picking his brains out, is all...

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    he's a good recruiter

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Several UT friends of mine thought this might be the season that gets him fired.

Your AD isn't a basketball guy, so he may just wait a few years before doing anything.

But he's increasingly losing the top talent in the region/state to Kansas/Kentucky (acceptable), Baylor and, now, SMU (unacceptable). He needs to get his recruiting mojo again.

Considering Durant and Aldridge's names, I'm shocked it has fallen off to this level.

Miles Turner could change that.
    Patterson isn't a basketball guy? What are you basing that on? He had substantial work experience with the Rockets and Blazers. He's been at most of the UT basketball games this year. (In an accessible place to fans too, there's plenty of people who just walk up and start talking to the guy.) I've got no clue about what he did at Arizona St regarding basketball though and seeing that Arizona's your team--I'd guess you know.

As for Barnes, he's a good recruiter and fine developer--but he's not good in game regarding offense/timeouts. Well, not at offense at all. He's very good at teaching rebounding and defense, but offense has never been his forte. People say free throws are a problem with our teams, but that's just on the guys that Rick recruits. He rarely gets pure shooters. Those aren't "Rick Barnes" players.

I'd imagine most people think he's underachieved. Notorious January peaker. (Of course our only #1 ranking was in January...) He had Kevin Durant and DJ Augustine on a team and still managed to get 3rd in the Big 12 and bounced in the 2nd round.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Didn't know Patterson's NBA background. He inherited Herb Sendeck, but didn't seem compelled to make a change despite decreasing results. Seemed like he didn't know what to look for or at in the evaluation process.

He seemed like more of a football guy with status quo with Sendeck and two quality hires with Graham at ASU and Strong at Texas.

Thread Information