Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I thought it made sense to make this instead of numerous smaller threads.

Two pieces of news today: Suggs has agreed to an extension, potentially freeing up cap space and keeping the D's leader in purple a couple more seasons. Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ract-extension

Second, Ray Rice was arrested today for allegedly uppercutting his fiancée after she spat on him. Link:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ercation-woman

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    (Knee-jerk and homer post warning)

The Ravens will win the AFC. It's as unspectacular a conference as ever, and Ozzie will get them the help they need (as always) to make a quick turnaround. A full season of Dennis Pitta will be nice after having no 3rd down option all last year--exacerbated by the fact that Pierce and Rice were avg'g around 3yds/carry. The defense was very good last season and the only place they're glaringly weak on that side of the ball is Safety.

Offensively, Joe Bags will have a rebound year, maybe even a career one (25/10 imo) by his standards. They need help along the O-line and are in definite need of some move-the-chains receiving threats (Boldin/Mason). Smith and Jones are as fast as they come, and even Marlon Brown showed nice potential. Tandon Doss is worthless.

Indy still has way too many holes to make the next step, Cincy and Houston are paper tigers, Denver will win a lot of games but be sketchy in the playoffs, and Brady needs some NFL-quality teammates.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I like that at ude. It starts with seeing how much cap space the team gets from Suggs' extension. Bringing back Monroe, adding a starting O-lineman in free agency and drafting another during the first two days will fix the team's biggest issue.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Albert Beer reported Suggs signed a $28M/5 deal with $16 Million guaranteed the first two years. If Jason La Canfora is correct and Suggs' cap hit drops to $7.8 Million, he must make about a million in base salary next year and get an $11 Million signing bonus.

From what we know so far cap hits:

2014: $7.8 Million (4.6 in previous bonus proration, 2.2 in new bonus proration, 1 in base salary)

2015: $6.2 Million (2.2 in bonus proration, 4 in base salary)

2016-2018: $6.2 Million average (2.2 bonus and 4 in salary)

So we could be looking at an option system starting in 2016 in which the Ravens decide whether to keep him at $4 Million each year or cut him. I think it's likely that the team keeps him until at least 2017 under this scenario, or even one with skewed salaries. The cap hits for releasing him in 2016 make it not worth it unless he's awful the next two years. If the salaries are flat, he remains affordable for the life of the deal so long as he's productive. He'll be making less than Lewis and Reed did in their final seasons with the team.

All things considered, it's not a bad "final" deal for Suggs.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    ESPN article about the extension:

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Terrell Suggs signed a four-year contract extension Monday, a deal the Pro Bowl linebacker envisions will allow him to finish his career with the Baltimore Ravens.

"I'm truly flattered and honored that I get to be Raven for life," Suggs said during a news conference to announce the deal.

Suggs, 31, will receive $21 million over the first three years of his deal, including $16 million guaranteed. The Ravens freed up $4 million in cap space this offseason.

A first-round pick in 2003, Suggs has been to six Pro Bowls and was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2011. He is the team's all-time leader in sacks (94.5) and forced fumbles (29).

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said he recently watched film of Suggs and gained a new appreciation for the linebacker's play.

"He affects [offenses] in the passing game as well as the running game," Newsome said. "It was something that jumped out to me."

Suggs had a tremendous start in 2013 with nine sacks in his first eight games. But he managed only 20 tackles and one sack in his final eight games.

"I think I was probably trying to do too much," Suggs said. "As one game went by and two games went by, it was like, 'I need to get a sack, I need to get a sack.' I stopped letting the game come to me."

Suggs was entering the final year of his contract, and there was speculation the Ravens may cut him if the sides didn't agree to an extension.

With his status no longer in question, Suggs said he is pleased to know he'll never wear another team's uniform.

"That's the plan, unless Ozzie has a trick up his sleeve," Suggs said. "Sizzle will be a Raven for life."
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10471014

Similar to what I predicted. Surprisingly enough, the contract is not backloaded. That means the team won't really have cause to release him for cap reasons. It definitely paves the way for him to retire a Raven. More players should go for contracts like this if they want a chance at stability.

Heat/Phillies/NY Giants TIMMYtoZO's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    Albert Beer reported Suggs signed a $28M/5 deal with $16 Million guaranteed the first two years. If Jason La Canfora is correct and Suggs' cap hit drops to $7.8 Million, he must make about a million in base salary next year and get an $11 Million signing bonus.

From what we know so far cap hits:

2014: $7.8 Million (4.6 in previous bonus proration, 2.2 in new bonus proration, 1 in base salary)

2015: $6.2 Million (2.2 in bonus proration, 4 in base salary)

2016-2018: $6.2 Million average (2.2 bonus and 4 in salary)

So we could be looking at an option system starting in 2016 in which the Ravens decide whether to keep him at $4 Million each year or cut him. I think it's likely that the team keeps him until at least 2017 under this scenario, or even one with skewed salaries. The cap hits for releasing him in 2016 make it not worth it unless he's awful the next two years. If the salaries are flat, he remains affordable for the life of the deal so long as he's productive. He'll be making less than Lewis and Reed did in their final seasons with the team.

All things considered, it's not a bad "final" deal for Suggs.
    The Ravens will have a bounce back season. It took the offense ing up so much for them to barley miss the postseason. A few tweaks, and they'll be back in it. Ozzie knows what needs to be done. The Ravens have the best front office in the NFL. Their D is going to be even better next year. I also expect the Steelers to replace the Bengals in that division as the other playoff contender.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    SUCK IT!!!!

The Cowboys scored their first victory of the season Wednesday, winning the 16th pick of the draft in a coin flip with the Baltimore Ravens.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    He got more yards carryin' his fiancée than he did on average all season long for the Ravens...

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    First time the Cowboys have beaten the Ravens head to head.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    First time the Cowboys have beaten the Ravens head to head.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Ravens WR Deonte Thompson Arrested For Marijuana Possession
    http://www.purplereignshow.com/2014/...ana-possession

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I saw that. He is UDFA who was probably going to get cut this season, so it's not a big loss.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Hopefully this Rice situation doesn't end in much more than a fine or a light suspension. It's messed up, but I don't think Rice is as bad as the video looks. He's never really done anything like this before and he is usually a class act for the franchise.

Anyway, regardless, I like our place in the AFC next year. We have nowhere to go but up I feel, we had a hangover losing some of our soul with Ray and Ed leaving, but I think we'll have recovered enough for at least a 10-6 record.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    The AFC is weak. Of course you have to like your position because there isn't really any complete juggernauts in that Conference. It might take some tinkering, but I wouldn't see the Ravens back in the mix. The D performed better than expected and while the O was stagnant at time, it wasn't completely inept. I think the Rice thing may be key but it would probably be better to look to an improvement around Flacco.

Ravens are gonna finish last in the division and Flacco will be top 3 in most interceptions thrown

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Flacco will still have the 1>0 stick over Newton....

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Flacco will still have the 1>0 stick over Newton....
    Probably. He already has the 9>0 playoff-win stick.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Leach and Jameel McClain are going to be released, per reports. That will create a few more million in cap space. The Ravens have a ton of room now to keep all their guys, including Arthur Jones, who I had assumed was gone. We'll see who gets re-signed and who gets the boot.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Leach and Jameel McClain are going to be released, per reports. That will create a few more million in cap space. The Ravens have a ton of room now to keep all their guys, including Arthur Jones, who I had assumed was gone. We'll see who gets re-signed and who gets the boot.
    Leach (and FB's in general) have been phased out anyways, and w/o Rice he loses his value/purpose. They can definitely upgrade McClain's spot for cheaper, but I do hope they keep Arthur Jones.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Pitta just agreed to a five-year deal. Dunno how much it's worth yet.

EDIT: It's a reported $32M/5 deal. Kind of expensive for what Pitta brings. We'll see how it's structured.
    Last edited by Chinook; 02-28-2014 at 01:07 PM.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Jah Reid arrested. May end up being cut, but I doubt anything happens yet. Weird off-season.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    News on two MLBs. McClellan re-signed for two years (probably at an APY less than his tender). And Rolando McClain intends to return to football next season. The Ravens still hold his rights on a one-year min deal with non-guaranteed, I believe. We'll see if they believe in him enough to bring him into camp.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    McClain

Thread Information