Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Well everybody's doing it, so might as well get a head start here

Notable free agents include: LT Jared Veldheer, DE Lamarr Houston, CB Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins, RB Darren McFadden and Rashad Jennings, S Charles Woodson, and DT Vance Walker.

-To me, Veldheer is the one must-resign guy if I had to choose one from the list. He's coming off a year where he was on the short IR since camp and didn't finish strong. Hopefully that allows us to not spend the farm.

-Houston is another key resign candidate, but I have a feeling he's going to be grossly overpaid on the market. Last year our reserve DT, Desmond Bryant, got a 5 year 34 million dollar deal with Cleveland, and Houston is a superior player. I don't want him to be sniffing franchise tag money, as he's not exactly a sack artist at DE, but he's more of a motor guy who does well against the run. He can force pressures, but he doesn't pile on sacks, which is what I'd want if I'm paying my DE an obscene amount of money

-From the corners, I actually thought Mike Jenkins played better more consistently, but rumblings are the brass would prefer to keep Porter. They will likely only keep one and hope that Heart Surgery Hayden can emerge as a starter, considering he missed all of camp/preseason in his rookie campaign.

- McFadden. adios mother er. I wouldn't mind bringing back Jennings at a reasonable deal, but I wouldn't bend over backwards for him. He's a good soldier who runs hard and can catch, but he's not an exceptional talent.

-I doubt they bring back Charles Woodson at anything more than a minimum. His only value comes in his knowledge/leadership. He physically isn't there anymore, though his instinct allowed him to make some big plays last year. He's a great mentor so I wouldn't mind him back. Having SS Tyvon Branch back from injury could theoretically make him look better too.

-Vance Walker was solid last year. Both he and Pat Sims formed a pretty formidable front wall as our DT's. While solid against the run, neither could really passrush up the middle, which is the opposite of what Raiders fans had been accustomed to. Tommy Kelly and Seymour were awesome interior pass rushers, but neither could stop the run, especially Seymour in his later years. I wouldn't mind bringing back the Sims-Walker duo, but like I alluded to earlier, this team sorely needs a pass rushing end. A line of Houston-Sims-Walker-(new passrusher) should be the goal.

-Fortunately, the Raiders are already about 60 mil below the cap, and after a few cuts are projected to have over 65-66 million which would give them more cap room than any team in NFL history. They should be able to resign the guys they want, but it would be foolish to overpay them just because we have money. This roster has too many holes.

-In free agency, I expect the Raiders to take a look at the WR class, where the big names are Decker, Nicks, and Maclin. Not sure if any of these guys can be a true #1, which is really what the Raiders need. We have 2-3 guys that look like good #2' guys, and we don't need another. I hope they dont splurge on Decker who is a true #2, and I've been hearing him being linked to Oakland, though hopefully its just speculation.

-The interior of our offensive line has been absolute . Both of our starting guards are reserve caliber, and our reserves (who got most of the starts last year) are NCAA caliber. Tackles are fine, and Wisniewski plays well enough at center, but I hope we spend and pick up Alex Mack and slide Wiz back over to left guard where he had a stellar rookie campaign. Finding a free agent RG shouldn't be terribly difficult.

-The other big need is the obvious: the QB situation. This one is a serious pain because there really isn't much to like about this draft, which is reminiscent of the Cam Newton draft minus Cam Newton, with guys like Ponder, Locker, etc. Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr are all underwhelming, and JFF is a ridiculous risk given his size and style. It has been reported and shown on this forum that the Raiders are looking into Schaub, and Vick has been linked here as well. I know they're both laughable, butI actually think going with a veteran stopgap is best, rather than investing the #5 overall pick on a scrub QB who the brass doesn't even believe in, and proceed to invest 2-3 years into him. With the draft pick, I'm hoping to address either the DE or WR spot.

Reggie McKenzie is on the hot seat. Though he hasn't had much to work with as far as cap room and draft picks, he's done pretty terribly with what he's had. He has all the draft picks and all the cap room in the world. Do something.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 02-19-2014 at 03:17 PM.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    Whatchu think about possibly sharing Levi Stadium with the Neeners?

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Whatchu think about possibly sharing Levi Stadium with the Neeners?
    much better destination than Oak Athletics stadium

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    The Raiders should take whatever they could get, as their current stadium is probably the worst in the NFL (the building itself is fine, but that baseball is terrible), and I doubt Oakland is going to finance a new stadium

Personally I want them to come back to LA

My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    2 of the worst stadiums are in the AFC west...and I think we go to both of them.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Qualcomm is a giant thole IMO, can't imagine a stadium being worse but have never made it to Oakland tbh.

Hope DMac sprains his ankle on the way out the door tbh.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah Qualcomm is just awful, but at least there's no infield

last year during a field goal attempt the announcer said something like "and janikowski will attempt this kick from 1st base"

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Yeah Qualcomm is just awful, but at least there's no infield
    There used to be

Plus the Q also has this:

Too bad the Spanoses are ty owners who alienated all the fans, otherwise the Chargers would already have a shiny new stadium by now....

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I'd love a move back to SoCal tbh. LA's already overcrowded and a return of the Raiders means a thinning out of the illegal population tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    Bruh, there is never such a thing...illegals never thin out.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    The Eagles and Jason Peters agreed to a 4 year, 40 million dollar extension. Hopefully this means we can resign Veldheer to something like 7 mil a year

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The Eagles and Jason Peters agreed to a 4 year, 40 million dollar extension. Hopefully this means we can resign Veldheer to something like 7 mil a year
    i highly doubt that, Peters is old, Veld isn't.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i highly doubt that, Peters is old, Veld isn't.
    Veldheer is also coming off a down season where he tore a triceps in camp, and Peters just made a pro bowl

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    raiders resign ty Khalif Barnes to a 1 year deal. we have all the cap space in the world, and we are resigning a ty guard. hopefully he's just being kept as a utility backup (since he used to be a tackle in his heyday)

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Raiders are gonna up with all that cap space

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Al Davis was an awful Gm for his last 8-9 years. Hue Jackson was gm for like a month and he traded a first and second for Palmer. Now Mckenzie is competing to take the throne

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Gil Brandt said on NFL radio that the raiders are looking to move up to #2. A few day ago there was a report that Mckenzie is enamored with Derek Carr. I don't think we'd have to trade up to get him. Maybe they're gunning for clowney and are prepared to let Houston walk in free agency

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    Gil Brandt said on NFL radio that the raiders are looking to move up to #2. A few day ago there was a report that Mckenzie is enamored with Derek Carr. I don't think we'd have to trade up to get him. Maybe they're gunning for clowney and are prepared to let Houston walk in free agency
    Trade with us , and we get Carr with #5 and your 2nd

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I don't see it happening, though with the raiders also looking at stopgap qb's like Vick it might mean they aren't looking to go qb... I don't think a talent devoid roster should be trading up though

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    as i predicted Carr is getting a lot of love, he should get more as the process goes on

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I like Carr. I just hate that he pretty much played exclusively out of the shotgun in a spread offense. His passing ability is awesome though. His touch throws remind me of Palmer at USC

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I like Carr. I just hate that he pretty much played exclusively out of the shotgun in a spread offense. His passing ability is awesome though. His touch throws remind me of Palmer at USC
    it obviously is a big issue, along with his lean frame i completely understand those who say he is unproven or he only played in gimmick offenses, but honestly every year the college game is less indicative for qbs, so one evaluator is probably better off taking the better strength - size package. In the end, i wouldn't draft a qb in the first round if he is unproven in pro style offenses and or has other issues, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be the first qb i'd draft. Like last year, i have a feeling someone will not be patient and will overdraft a qb. That's how ty teams remain ty tbh.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    So many skins fans want/wanted Lamar Houston to replace orakpo or play de here for us. Orakpo played football at Lamar HS in Houston and their mascot is the redskins...strange coincedence tbh

Thread Information