Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got a nice clean block and recovery in the game. NBA has a video on it: http://www.nba.com/games/20140322/SASGSW/gameinfo.html

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night was telling. I was genuinely surprised. I wasn't expecting much with so little playing time, and this wasn't garbage time, it was crunch time. I am hoping to see more of him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daye has a very unique skill set; if properly used he can be a true weapon! The spurs have Richards, Bertans and Jean Charles waiting in the wings; all can produce hopefully in the system in the next few years. Let's get Hanga over here too!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mills is a 2 in a 1's body, Daye moves like a 3 in a 4's body..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    loved his defensive and what this kid could bring. I just wish he could finish a little stronger when he is near the rim.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got a nice clean block and recovery in the game. NBA has a video on it: http://www.nba.com/games/20140322/SASGSW/gameinfo.html
    Yes, Draymond Green didn't bother to ask while he was getting stuffed last night if Daye was 216 lbs or 200 lbs. did he?

More evidence of some decent defense, footwork, hands/passing ability, etc. Again, he was sold as just a "shooter". So, all of these other things are more than expected. Of course, people still nit-picking him to death: "He needs to go stronger to the hole!"

Same people that don't appreciate Tiago, probably. Tiago was great last night, but this morning, all I see is a lot of "he got blocked at the rim". Yawn.

Bogut was on Daye as soon as he caught the ball, and is 7 feet tall. It's not like he caught him from mid-court. There are players in the league that probably could have finished that play. Lebron would have powered it down, probably. The problem is, they aren't available for trade for Nando Freakin' De Colo. Give the kid a break, again. He has pretty much done nothing but excel in the three instances that he's gotten on the NBA court for the Spurs, in a total of seven minutes of play, and he's a n00B. He just got here. Most of the critics, thus far, seem to have unreasonable expectations.

He stuffed DWade's shot in that highlight on YouTube, no big deal, just lucky I guess. He gets blocked by another 7 footer: He's weak. Typical SpursTalk over-reaction.

First game, about a minute of play...drives to the basket, lithe and supple, draws a foul. One missed shot. No turnovers, no fouls.

Second game, vs. Heat, drops a couple of threes in two attempts, assist to Bonner. A rebound. No turnovers, no fouls.

Third game...good defense, a block, draws a foul or it would have been a steal/rebound, however it's recorded, an assist to AYERS, no less, etc...no real mistakes yet in his 7 minutes of play. In my sleepiness, I thought I remembered a rebound, but not credited for one. But, again, no turnovers, no fouls.

He's already better than Ayers.

And that game for the Toros, he didn't call DeColo and ask for the complaint number in the French Press. He went down, struggled a little with his jumper, but still put up very respectable numbers 27 points/13 boards, I think. Some assists and a block or two, I think, and is dismissed - "That's just the D-League...anyone can do that in the D-League." But, , he's just doing what is asked of him and doing a good job from what I can see. I have no complaints, thus far. DeColo was a piece of crap, no jump shot and turned the ball over all the time. Can't have that from a slow guard with little defense. You can be slow and a bad defender but you better be able to shoot and not turn over the ball. Fail and Fail. of an improvement, thus far, with Daye over Nando. I liked the notion of Nando being a playmaker, but it just didn't work.

Daye's assist to turnover ratio is still infinity.

I felt bad for him getting the -2 in +/- because he had to play with Jeff. Daye did what he could, even gave him a soft bunny he could hold on to.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    littlecoyotecoin - LOL, I didn't think about the fact that it was an assist to Ayers. Poor Jeff, as soon as somebody puts on that Spurs uniform, they're my guy, but damn, he makes so many mistakes. I want to see more of Austin Daye.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    littlecoyotecoin - LOL, I didn't think about the fact that it was an assist to Ayers. Poor Jeff, as soon as somebody puts on that Spurs uniform, they're my guy, but damn, he makes so many mistakes. I want to see more of Austin Daye.
    I am right there with you...I hate to be negative toward anyone on the team but the lack of hand-eye coordination,etc. Even I have just given up. Everything has been said and re-said, and fans are so frustrated it devolves into personal attacks which I regret, but understand where the frustration comes from, for sure. I feel it, too. I even feel for Jeff a little bit, too, don't ask me why...he's getting paid well enough, but he has got to know he's laying a lot of eggs out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am right there with you...I hate to be negative toward anyone on the team but the lack of hand-eye coordination,etc. Even I have just given up. Everything has been said and re-said, and fans are so frustrated it devolves into personal attacks which I regret, but understand where the frustration comes from, for sure. I feel it, too. I even feel for Jeff a little bit, too, don't ask me why...he's getting paid well enough, but he has got to know he's laying a lot of eggs out there.
    Did anyone else notice that one play last game where Ayres was called for an illegal/moving screen? He was exasperated with D. Green (I think) because he left too soon, just as Ayres got there to set the screen. Clearly not Ayres' fault, but it looked like he feels the pressure to play without committing his now infamously frequent fumbles, bumbles and mishaps. Not often that you see a relatively new Spur express such blatant frustration with a "veteran" Spur.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone else notice that one play last game where Ayres was called for an illegal/moving screen? He was exasperated with D. Green (I think) because he left too soon, just as Ayres got there to set the screen. Clearly not Ayres' fault, but it looked like he feels the pressure to play without committing his now infamously frequent fumbles, bumbles and mishaps. Not often that you see a relatively new Spur express such blatant frustration with a "veteran" Spur.
    Yes, he does sort of seem to be wearing it on his Kawhi. But, he's worn out his welcome. Catastrophe Theory. He will have to play all kinds of perfection to gain back any benefit of the doubt he originally had, I think. I usually believe that the crowd usually rushes to judgement and is often, initially, wrong, or at least over-states the case. In this case...the crowd seems to have gotten it right...from the get-go. Sorry, Jeff. Still rooting for you, buddy, but it's keystone cops when you're out there. With every player, there seems to be some support group that will come to his aid with statistical defenses. I would like to see someone attempt this with Jeff, and play Devil's Advocate, and show how I and everyone else that cringes when he takes the floor, is misinterpreting what we are watching. Any takers? "There are lies, damn lies, and there are statistics." Some creative person ought to be able to craft some sort of defense!

TiagomustdominateFisher mrjap2x's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw that too. It looks likes he was saying wait multiple times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayres needs to stay calm. He'll get a shot to play again next season. He just needs to keep learning and working on his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah that assist to Ayres in the Warriors game was as smooth and natural as it gets. Anyone that can make Ayres look good on a catch and finish at the basket right now is worth a second look imo. Manu can;t even do that right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free Austin Daye.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you remember how Jarret Jack in last year's playoff kept taking jump shots that the Spurs couldn't stop?

Anyway, if you put Austin Daye to cover players like this (i.e. Draymon Green), then it'll be the end of those easy jump shots.

Here's the reality, Daye is extremely long, can shoot and can dribble well.

He's an excellent pick up for the Spurs. He's a #15 pick just like Leonard.

Now, he's really thin, lacks strength, doesn't jump very high and I'm told has very slow lateral movement. However, guys with a lot of deficiencies seem to thrive with the Spurs. Look at Splitter and Green. Green doesn't seem to handle the ball well and is iffy when he drives to the rim. But he's an excellent shot from 3 and a very good shot blocker for his size.

So I haven't a clue as to why there's so much negativity against this player.
    Last edited by ceperez; 03-24-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you remember how Jarret Jack in last year's playoff kept taking jump shots that the Spurs couldn't stop?

Anyway, if you put Austin Daye to cover players like this (i.e. Draymon Green), then it'll be the end of those easy jump shots.
    Maybe. He was pretty slow to come out of the paint against RGV microball. I just don't have enough evidence to draw conclusions about his perimeter defense yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do hope he sees time tonight. I imagine Bonner's going to be inactive, but Diaw could use some time off. Daye will likely have to play the four at least part-time to stick around, and the Sixers are small at PF. Seems like a good game to try out some small-ball sets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Savior.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Three And Counting ...
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In liking what I'm seeing in Austin Daye. Really needs to add muscle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In liking what I'm seeing in Austin Daye. Really needs to add muscle.

Looking like what people were hoping to get from Richards eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When does he get his jersey retired tbqh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information