Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except your fix to healthcare is more liberal than Obamacare...but glad it's coming from a "republican"

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Actually, it could easily be described as fiscally conservative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the slow down in the inflation rate of healthcare after the AHCA...so could Obamacare...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "outcome no matter what the cost is the only metric!"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Long Lines at Minority Polling Places

Some of the longest lines on Election Day occur at polling places in black and Hispanic neighborhoods. A new report says that’s not a coincidence.

In the three states with the longest lines in 2012, precincts in minority neighborhoods were systematically deprived of the resources they needed to make voting operate smoothly — specifically, voting machines and poll workers, according to the report by the Brennan Center for Justice. The report’s data show the growing need for federal supervision of voting rights, though ensuring supervision is harder than ever since the Supreme Court removed the teeth from the Voting Rights Act of 1965 last year.

The report looked at Maryland, South Carolina and Florida, where many voters waited for hours to cast a vote in the 2012 presidential election. In all three, minority precincts were more likely to have had long lines. In South Carolina, the 10 precincts with the longest waits had more than twice the percentage of black registered voters, on average, than the rest of the state.

There was a clear relationship in those states between the racial makeup of a precinct and the number of voting machines it received from the state or county. In Maryland, the 10 precincts with the lowest number of machines per voter had more than twice the average percentage of Hispanic voters. In South Carolina, the law requires one voting machine per 250 voters, but that requirement is routinely violated in minority areas. Richland County, which is about half black, had a precinct with 432 voters per machine, which contributed to extensive delays.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/25...ng-places.html

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "outcome no matter what the cost is the only metric!"
    That's not what I wrote, ing coward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Single payer is fiscally conservative. Won't argue with you there, but 95% of conservatives would. It's time you disassociate yourself with that party.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah...the party of HRC really has me excited. :facepalm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah...the party of HRC really has me excited. :facepalm
    Question, who would you vote for if your choices were Elisabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders , Ted Cruz or Ron Paul.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Good straw question.

Warren. Will re-evaluate my choices in the unlikely event the DNC allows her to run some day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any Dem president is worthless without a Dem control of House and Senate.

A rapid acceleration in decline of USA will be inevitable, unavoidable when the Repugs next control House,Senate,WH along with their control of SCOTUS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. Refresh my memory. I know we have talked about it at length through the years. (sound old saying that, erk)

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Dovetails with some of your ideas. Nuts : The main thust is to make insurance companies be insurance companies again....not HMO....leverage risk across time. Single payor for the HMO functions and routine medical. Insurance for major medical using standardized, gov developed/approved methodology and beholden to gov negotiated drug pricing. Freed of the HMO functions and associated overhead, premiums would be required to plummet from current "cover everything" policies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incoming Texas Gov Has Had It Up To Here With You Yokels Governing Yourselves

“Texas is being Californianized and you may not even be noticing it,” Abbott said, addressing a downtown Austin conference hosted by the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, an influential think tank. “It’s being done at the city level with bag bans, fracking bans, tree-cutting bans. We’re forming a patchwork quilt of bans and rules and regulations that is eroding the Texas model.”

“Now think about it,” Abbott said. “Few things are more important in Texas than private property rights, yet some cities are telling citizens that you don’t own some of the things of your own property that you have bought and purchased and owned for along time — things like trees.”

“This is a form of collectivism,” said Abbott, who will be inaugurated as governor on Jan. 20. “Some cities claim that trees that are on private property belong to the city, not the private property owner.”

"It’s time for less government and more freedom. That means restricting California-style regulations that cities are imposing on people."

http://wonkette.com/572013/incoming-texas-gov-has-had-it-up-to-here-with-you-yokels-governing-yourselves

Hey all y'all ignorant texas rednecks, bubbas, Bible humpers, y'all got exactly the corporate tool you deserve.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas governor signs bill to speed up permits for industrial projects by limiting public scrutiny

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/texa...blic-scrutiny/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tesla certainly thinks Texas is "free" and open to business, lol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Abbott Approve $800M For Texas To Start Its Own Border Patrol?

When former Gov. Rick Perry ordered a big reinforcement of security at the Mexico border in 2011, Texas bought six new gunboats that can fire 900 rounds a minute and clock highway speeds. But the boats, which cost $580,000 each, spent more time docked than patrolling the Rio Grande.

That was a small price tag compared with what Texas is about to spend. The new Republican governor, Greg Abbott, this month approved $800 million for border security over the next two years — more than double any similar period during Perry's 14 years in office.

On Texas' shopping list is

a second $7.5 million high-al ude plane to scan the border,

a new border crime data center,

a 5,000-acre training facility for border law-enforcement agencies and grants for year-round helicopter flights. The state also wants to hire

two dozen Texas Rangers to investigate public corruption along the border and

250 new state troopers as a down payment on a permanent force along the border.

Other states along the nearly 2,000-mile Southwest border — New Mexico, Arizona and California — do not come remotely close to the resources Texas has committed. And Texas is doing so long after last year's surge in immigrants crossing the border illegally has subsided.

So why is Texas setting up what appears to be a parallel border patrol alongside the federal force?

"Google 'cartel crime in Mexico' and just put a time period of the last week, and you'll see some dramatic instances of what the cartels are doing in Mexico right now," Abbott told reporters this month following the legislative session. "The first obligation of government is to keep people safe and that means ensuring that this ongoing cartel activity, which is not abating whatsoever, gains no root at all in the state of Texas."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/gr...+%28TPMNews%29

Meanwhile, TX is at the bottom of states on spending per student.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Approves Another Law Attacking Women’s Health — This Time, Targeting Cancer Screenings

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015...er-screenings/

You asshole rightwingnuts and your Repug politicians really are sociopathic, hateful mother ers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meet Scientology’s Favorite GOP Governor: Why Greg Abbott Is More Dangerous Than George W. Bush & Rick Perry

Following the late great Democratic Gov. Ann Richards, Texas has developed a notorious reputation for electing governors who have no real business presiding over anything more important than a pie-eating contest. George W. Bush and Rick Perry were, at the end of the day, the same guy: nauseously conservative and each one battling it out to join Sarah Palin as several of the dumbest former governors ever to have occupied a state capital.

Then along came Greg Abbott.

Abbott, the current governor of Texas, is not necessarily a Perry- or Bush-style idiot in the traditional sense; and, frankly, his conservatism isn’t actually his most disturbing character trait, though his conservatism is awful, to be sure. (For example, last month, Abbott signed
    an anti-choice bill into law making it impossible to get an abortion without proof of age and iden y.)

The most disturbing thing about Abbott is that he’s missing a part inside his lizard brain that weeds out crazy conspiracy theories for the fiction they are. This glitch also has led him to pal around with some nefariously fringe characters along the way.

In the most recent example of both, Abbott last week vetoed a mental health bill passed by his fellow conservatives in the state legislature, and he did so apparently at the request of the nation’s most infamous cult.

Senate Bill 359 would have allowed hospitals to detain for evaluation potentially dangerous patients for several hours. In this relatively short window, doctors would’ve had the la ude to bring in law enforcement officials to decide whether the patient in question were potentially dangerous, either to himself or others. The Dallas Morning News called it a “common-sense measure,” one supported by two of the most prominent Texas medical associations, including the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians.

But Abbott insisted the law was uncons utional, since it gave doctors similar authority as law enforcement in these cases — even if four hours in a hospital to make sure a mentally disturbed patient isn’t going to do something drastic is a far cry from an extraordinary rendition to Guantanamo.

The truth, according to the Texas Tribune, is that Abbott likely vetoed the bill after being lobbied by a group called the Citizens Commission on Human Rights.

In addition to its opposition to fluoridation of drinking water,

the CCHR also believes that Big Pharma controls everything and everyone. (Red flags, anyone?) Back in 2005, the CCHR opened a museum called “Psychiatry: An Industry of Death,” which links modern psychiatry to Hilter and other villains.

The group also alleged that the 9/11 attacks were spearheaded not by Osama Bin Laden, but by his psychiatrist.

It all smacks of the Alex Jones worldview, in which chemtrails, weather weapons and shapeshifting lizard people from outer space are plotting to get us.

Oh, and one more thing. The CCHR is a tax exempt organization sponsored by the Church of Scientology. (In other words, Greg Abbott killed SB359 at the request of intergalactic warlord Xenu.)

http://www.alternet.org/belief/meet-...ter1039987&t=7

goddam, you TX rightwingnuts are in stupid cowpaddies.

... and then there's Krazy Kruz, Dave Barton, Joe Barton, Gohmert, Alex Jones, etc,etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN COULD FACE LAWSUITS OVER CAMPUS CARRY

License holders will be allowed to carry concealed guns on college campuses in Texas beginning in August, and after months of debate, the University of Texas at Austin has announced where those people will and won’t be able to carry them. However, people on both sides of the issue say they plan to challenge the policies and might even pursue legal action.

The policy announcement comes eight months after Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed Senate Bill 11, commonly known as the campus carry bill, into law. The law makes it legal for people with concealed carry licenses to carry concealed guns on college campuses. Private colleges can opt out, and public universities can designate gun-free zones on campus.

The UT Austin policy is the first to be announced of any of the Texas public universities, says Julie Gavran, southwest coordinator for the Campaign to Keep Guns off Campus.

“I do not believe handguns belong on a university campus, so this decision has been the greatest challenge of my presidency to date,” University President Gregory Fenves wrote in an open letter published Wednesday. “I empathize with the many faculty members, staffers, students and parents of students who signed pe ions, sent emails and letters and organized to ban guns from campus and especially classrooms. As a professor, I understand the deep concerns raised by so many. However, as president, I have an obligation to uphold the law.”

In a second open letter, to University of Texas Chancellor William McRaven, Fenves wrote, “The presence of handguns at an ins ution of higher learning is contrary to our mission of education and research, which is based on inquiry, free speech and debate.” However, he added, “As president…I am responsible for adhering to the requirements of SB 11.”

Under the UT Austin policy
    , license holders can carry concealed guns on campus except for places where activities for students in pre-K through grade 12 are happening; at polling places when voting is happening; at places serving as courtrooms or court offices; at businesses where the majority of income comes from liquor sales; campus sporting events unless the license holder is participating and using the gun in the event; patient-care areas; places where formal hearings are being conducted; laboratories with dangerous chemicals or places with “equipment that is incompatible with metallic objects”; animal-use and animal-research facilities.

Notably, people cannot carry guns in residence halls except for in common areas and the University Apartments. (Family members and staff members can carry anywhere in residence halls.) People with offices can prohibit guns in the offices if they wish, but must agree to meet carriers at another location if necessary.

There are also restrictions on people carrying guns while working with minors. And while carrying a semi-automatic handgun, carriers cannot have a round of ammunition in the chamber.

The policies do not generally prohibit guns in classrooms, a point for which faculty members had voiced concern. A working group had recommended against such a sweeping prohibition.

“Under the law, I cannot adopt a policy that has the general effect of excluding licensed concealed handguns from campus. I agree with the working group that a classroom exclusion would have this effect,” Fenves wrote in the letter.

“It’s a case where he wasn’t willing to take the political risk of going farther and acting on his convictions and for that we’re disappointed,” says Max Snodderly, a member of the group Gun Free UT and a neuroscience professor at UT Austin.

“We intend to continue to push for not having guns in classrooms and not having guns in the dormitories,” Snodderly says, adding that the push is “going to entail legal action.”

http://www.newsweek.com/university-t...s-carry-428586

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the first mass school shooting, armed students fired back

University of Texas President Gregory Fenves sounded reluctant this week as he announced that the system would comply with a new state law permitting students to bring guns into classrooms

The law is slated to take effect on August 1, the 50th anniversary of the deadliest school shooting in the state’s history, and by many accounts the first in the nation. In 1966, an ex-Marine and engineering student named Charles Whitman ascended to the observation deck of the Austin campus’ 30-floor clock tower. Whitman began shooting at random, hitting 43 people and killing 13 of them.

According to gun rights groups, the new law would prevent such tragedies. But there’s some irony in their choice of the UT shooting as a commemorative occasion. It so happens that many students on the UT campus were armed in 1966, and many of them fired at Whitman, who was ultimately killed by a police officer. Whether civilian gunfire was helpful that day remains a matter of debate.

An oral history of the shooting compiled by Texas journalist Pamela Colloff features several eyewitness accounts of civilians taking up arms.

The South African novelist J. M. Coetzee, then a PhD candidate at UT, was on campus that day. “I hadn’t fully comprehended,” he told Colloff, “that lots of people around me in Austin not only owned guns but had them close at hand and regarded themselves as free to use them.”'

“It seemed like every other guy had a rifle,” said Ann Major. “There was a sort of cowboy atmosphere, this ‘Let’s get him’ spirit.”

“I don’t know where these vigilantes came from,” said Brenda Bell, “but they took over Parlin Hall and were crashing around, firing guns. There was massive testosterone.”

Another eyewitness described “two guys in white shirts and slacks running across the lawn of the Pi Phi house, hustling up to its porch with rifles at the ready.” Yet another remembered that “students with deer rifles were leaning up against telephone poles, using the pole, which is rather narrow, as their shield. And they were firing like crazy back at the tower.”

Luckily, none of these civilian bullets hit innocent bystanders. But none of them hit Whitman, either.

Texas gun rights advocates insist that the new law will make campuses safer by increasing the likelihood that a school shooter would be shot by a civilian. By beginning to enforce the law on the 50th anniversary of the UT shooting, Texas legislators are implying that the law would somehow prevent another such shooting. But Texas students were freely armed in 1966, and Charles Whitman still managed to kill 14 people.

Timeline spoke to Gary Lavergne, author of the only nonfiction book about the shooting, who said there was no way of knowing whether the threat armed civilians posed to Whitman outweighed the threat they posed to each other.

“No one really knows the extent to which the return fire from civilians was helpful,” said Lavergne. He added, “But even if you accept that the armed civilians were primarily helpful that day, it doesn’t follow in my opinion that they would be helpful in 2016.”

Lavergne explained that students felt the need to defend themselves because they knew not to expect a robust police response. “The Austin police department didn’t have a SWAT team,” Lavergne said. “They didn’t have appropriate weapons or communication gear. They didn’t even have appropriate shoes. One of the officers who stormed the deck told me that he was wearing penny loafers, and was slipping and sliding on the blood.”

https://timeline.com/during-the-nati...dc3#.i8vb4940n

How fitting that the Bible-crazy, gun-crazy, Wild West, kickin Texas, at it showcase state campus, was the first school massacre by and adored Marine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, boutons, as a parent of a UT student, I feel better knowing that others are carrying should some madman start shooting. I read that it takes on average 11 minutes for the police to respond to one of these episodes. That's 11 minutes others could be shooting back.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, boutons, as a parent of a UT student, I feel better knowing that others are carrying should some madman start shooting. I read that it takes on average 11 minutes for the police to respond to one of these episodes. That's 11 minutes others could be shooting back.
    Are you serious? You don't see the problem with allowing people to carry weapons in areas of high population density? Did you even read that entire article?

It so happens that many students on the UT campus were armed in 1966, and many of them fired at Whitman, who was ultimately killed by a police officer
    “No one really knows the extent to which the return fire from civilians was helpful,” said Lavergne. He added, “But even if you accept that the armed civilians were primarily helpful that day, it doesn’t follow in my opinion that they would be helpful in 2016.”

Lavergne explained that students felt the need to defend themselves because they knew not to expect a robust police response. “The Austin police department didn’t have a SWAT team,” Lavergne said. “They didn’t have appropriate weapons or communication gear. They didn’t even have appropriate shoes. One of the officers who stormed the deck told me that he was wearing penny loafers, and was slipping and sliding on the blood.”
    Yet you want your CHILDREN around people who have no requirement for training with deadly weapons. Brainwashed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those others carrying would include her. And yes, I'd rather have her trained with a gun than unarmed. We can't control what others do, but she would have a means to defend herself as opposed to being a sitting duck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [SIZE=3]...50th anniversary of the deadliest school shooting in the state’s history, and by many accounts the first in the nation.
    Hmm

Thread Information