Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those others carrying would include her.
    Oh so you'd get her combat training or some kind of training that involves the pressure of imminent death?
    And yes, I'd rather have her trained with a gun than unarmed.
    Gee, why is that? Is it because there are more mass shootings in this country than we have days in the year?
    We can't control what others do, but she would have a means to defend herself as opposed to being a sitting duck.
    How do you not understand that this is the exact point of this discussion? Even if your daughter is a SEAL team 6 member, the other people who are most certainly not trained are more likely to do harm than good. Does that mean you'd be in favor of stricter gun control laws that require advanced training to be able to carry weapons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those others carrying would include her. And yes, I'd rather have her trained with a gun than unarmed. We can't control what others do, but she would have a means to defend herself as opposed to being a sitting duck.
    What if the others with guns fire and accidentally hit your daughter?

What if a dude steals her purse with the gun in it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you (as I'm assuming) as males don't realize is that a female is almost always at a disadvantage physically when it comes to males. For example, when Cuban made his statement about crossing the street if he sees a black man with a hoodie or a tattooed white, I thought, males just don't understand that a female will cross the street and walk on the other side if ANY male walks down her side of the street. She is at a physical disadvantage to any man and being armed gives her a fighting chance as opposed to no chance at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you (as I'm assuming) as males don't realize is that a female is almost always at a disadvantage physically when it comes to males. For example, when Cuban made his statement about crossing the street if he sees a black man with a hoodie or a tattooed white, I thought, males just don't understand that a female will cross the street and walk on the other side if ANY male walks down her side of the street. She is at a physical disadvantage to any man and being armed gives her a fighting chance as opposed to no chance at all.
    So all women should carry guns. How about your thoughts on my question about stricter gun control? Instead of guns, how about women carry NON-LETHAL weapons? Or are you also in favor of on-the-spot capital punishment (ask questions later)?

Have you seen the vast research that shows people are more likely to be killed or injured by their own gun than they are to stop a crime with said gun?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other women can choose to do what they want regarding guns, but for me and my daughter, we will do whatever we can to not be a victim and yes, that includes now carrying a pepper spray that has a loud alarm and bright light when it's used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other women can choose to do what they want regarding guns, but for me and my daughter, we will do whatever we can to not be a victim and yes, that includes now carrying a pepper spray that has a loud alarm and bright light when it's used.
    Ok again it seems like you're missing the point (and avoiding my question). You and your daughter can be current military, gun savants that can curve bullets like in that terrible Angelina Jolie movie. The point you miss is that the huge majority of US citizens ARE NOT trained to use the guns they own, especially in high stress situations. The studies are out there and they show having a gun in your house is more dangerous for YOU than not having a gun would be.

So are you or are you not in favor of stricter gun laws that require specialized training? I'll even go you one more and ask whether you think people should be cleared psychiatrically prior to purchasing a gun.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok again it seems like you're missing the point (and avoiding my question). You and your daughter can be current military, gun savants that can curve bullets like in that terrible Angelina Jolie movie. The point you miss is that the huge majority of US citizens ARE NOT trained to use the guns they own, especially in high stress situations. The studies are out there and they show having a gun in your house is more dangerous for YOU than not having a gun would be.

So are you or are you not in favor of stricter gun laws that require specialized training? I'll even go you one more and ask whether you think people should be cleared psychiatrically prior to purchasing a gun.
    I have a closet full of guns and bullets, and I assure you that it is not more dangerous for me than not having them. I rest assured at night that if someone breaks into my house I can defend myself. My children have grown up surrounded by guns with not one "incident." My husband has them practice with a laptop/target.

I cannot control the bad guys, the crazies, the untrained, etc - I can only control what I do - which will be to arm myself against the previously listed.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a closet full of guns and bullets, and I assure you that it is not more dangerous for me than not having them. I rest assured at night that if someone breaks into my house I can defend myself. My children have grown up surrounded by guns with not one "incident." My husband has them practice with a laptop/target.

I cannot control the bad guys, the crazies, the untrained, etc - I can only control what I do - which will be to arm myself against the previously listed.
    I wouldn't put them in a closet though, if your house gets broken into while you're gone that's a ton of on the street. I think having a safe makes much more sense and then a shotgun nearby that goes back in the safe when you leave. Nothing beats a shotgun for home defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Except you don't know you're safer until someone breaks in. And like I keep saying (and you keep ignoring, head-in-the-sand style), the statistics show having those guns is more dangerous for your family. You are MORE likely to be killed or injured by your own gun.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...s_suicide.html

“The current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that guns make a nation safer.” This finding is bolstered by several previous studies that have revealed a significant link between gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. This international comparison is especially harrowing for women and children, who die from gun violence in America at far higher rates than in other countries.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20571454

CONCLUSIONS:
    The United States has far higher rates of firearm deaths-firearm homicides, firearm suicides, and unintentional firearm deaths compared with other high-income countries. The US overall suicide rate is not out of line with these countries, but the United States is an outlier in terms of our overall homicide rate.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ths-fact-check

MYTH #5: KEEPING A GUN AT HOME MAKES YOU SAFER.

Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
    • For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
    • 43 percent of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
    • In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.

MYTH #6: CARRYING A GUN FOR SELF-DEFENSE MAKES YOU SAFER.

Fact-check: In 2014, according to FBI data, nearly eight times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime.
    • In one survey, nearly 1 percent of Americans reported using guns to defend themselves or their property. However, a closer look at these claims found that more than half involved using guns in an aggressive manner, such as escalating an argument.
    • A study in Philadelphia found that the odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater.
    That motherjones link has further links to justify the claims made.

Would you like more? Even if you disregard these peer-reviewed studies and statistics (who likes facts and numbers amirite?) there is still the undeniable fact that this country doesn't revolve around you and your family. Even if you all are the most prepared people on earth, most others are not and THOSE people make it a more dangerous country to live in when we don't restrict gun ownership. I can always speak a little louder so you can hear me through the sand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shasta, please, don't waste your time posting any more links, studies, etc. Nothing is gonna change my husband's or my mind on this subject. And where do I claim/suggest that this country revolves around me and my family? You do what you want, and I'll do what I want (within the law).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't put them in a closet though, if your house gets broken into while you're gone that's a ton of on the street. I think having a safe makes much more sense and then a shotgun nearby that goes back in the safe when you leave. Nothing beats a shotgun for home defense.
    Yep, there's a shotgun in the master bedroom. Thanks for the advice on the gun safe. Someone's almost always at home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shasta, please, don't waste your time posting any more links, studies, etc.
    Never
    Nothing is gonna change my husband's or my mind on this subject.
    I don't care. If even one person sees the info posted and actually thinks critically about it, that's all I want.
    And where do I claim/suggest that this country revolves around me and my family? You do what you want, and I'll do what I want (within the law).
    You still don't get it. You're using your family as the benchmark for why guns are good and should be unregulated (I assume since you continue to avoid answering my questions). My point is that people shouldn't give a about the BEST this country has to offer in respect to gun ownership. People should care about the majority of the country that doesn't know how to use, store, or keep track of firearms. That doesn't even bring mental health or criminals using loopholes into the argument. But again, your head seems to be in the sand. Guns are good. Guns are safe. History and statistics be damned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shasta, please, don't waste your time posting any more links, studies, etc. Nothing is gonna change my husband's or my mind on this subject.
    Critical thinkers should read this and just bask in the ignorance. "Stop telling me about statistics and historical facts! They don't mean anything." Conservative thinking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you would rather put your trust in the government or police to keep the bad guys from having guns and protect you. I would rather depend on myself (at least until they get there). Let's just agree to disagree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing to agree or disagree over. I have facts and statistics. You have a theoretical anecdote.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a theoretical anecdote.
    ... and gun-industry-induced severe, clinical paranoia

the chances of your kid shooting herself or some non-attacker are a million times more probable than shooting an attacker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gov. Abbott proposes cons utional amendments, wants to restore state power

Abbott offered the following cons utional amendments:

1. Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.
    2. Require Congress to balance its budget.
    3. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.
    4. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.
    5. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
    6. Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.
    7. Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Cons ution.
    8. Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
    9. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

In its most basic explanation, proposing amendments can occur in essentially one of two ways:

• a proposal by Congress with a two-thirds vote in both chambers; or
    • a cons utional convention called by two-thirds of all state legislatures.

But that is just the first step, because an amendment must also be ratified to become part of the Cons ution:

• This can happen either by three-fourths of state legislatures or conventions in three-fourths of states.
    • The only amendment ratified by state conventions is the 21st. In 1933, this move ended the national prohibition on alcohol.
    • Unlike other federal legislation, cons utional amendments do not require approval by the President.

http://kxan.com/2016/01/08/gov-abbot...ion-of-states/

NONE of these Cons utional amendments will be law, so WTF is Abbott doing?

Building his slave state, secessionist cred as profoundly anti-Fed (damn "yankees" up there in DC) to stroke his racist, slave state, Bible-humping base.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Guv Slams Roberts: SCOTUS 'Deserves To Be Swept Up Into' Politics

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) on Thursday accused the Supreme Court's conservative Chief Justice John Roberts of being the "tip of the spear in playing politics," arguing the high court "deserves to be swept up into the political process."

Abbott was weighing on the current refusal by Senate Republicans to consider President Obama's Supreme Court nominee, Merrick Garland, according to the Houston Chronicle.

"Chief Justice John Roberts knowingly, clearly and unabashedly re-wrote Obamacare twice. What we are seeing is nothing more than naked politics being played by the United States Supreme Court," Abbott said during a press event at the Heritage Foundation.

Abbott is not the only Republican to blame Roberts, who was appointed by former President George W. Bush and has a conservative voting record, for making the Supreme Court the political hot potato that it's considered now.

Senate Judiciary Chair Chuck Grassley (R-IA) warned Roberts against publicly commenting on the current nomination fight. Roberts so far has stayed mum, but days before Justice Antonin Scalia's death, he decried how political the Senate's confirmation process had become. Grassley later said Roberts was "part of the problem."

In his remarks Thursday, Abbott defended the GOP blockade in the Senate and said the court had "shed its clothing as being guardians of the law."

"The United States Supreme Court is more of a political body than it has ever been in the United States of America," Abbott said. "And because, on its own, by its own fault, as an ins ution, it has chosen to be a political body, it deserves to be swept up into the political process."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...+%28TPMNews%29

"Roberts ...
    re-wrote Obamacare twice" ?

Obama didn't even write ACA the first time. Baucus and health insurance exec/lobbyist wrote ACA.

Abbott and similar Repug bags? amazing! Repugs appointed Roberts as an ACTIVIST VRWC/1% tool and shill.

And, with the exception of ACA, Roberts and his accomplices have ed over America just as VRWC/1% hired them to do.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-25-2016 at 10:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott is the worst kind of ideologue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal Judge Dismisses Texas Case Seeking To Stop Syrian Refugee Resettlement

WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Wednesday tossed out the Texas lawsuit challenging the Obama administration’s plans to resettle Syrian refugees in the state.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed the lawsuit in December on behalf of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

It had met with an icy reception from U.S. District Court Judge David Godbey, who previously had denied Texas’ request for an immediate halt to the refugee resettlement plans and its later request for a preliminary injunction stopping resettlement.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidne...Wk#.xg97ZP8jke

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Feds Are Coming to Investigate Texas' Troublesome Special Education Policies

the agency's policies over the past decade arbitrarily kept thousands of disabled students out of special classes and programming.

Representatives from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services plan on holding “listening sessions” with the public in five regions across Texas, starting on December 5, to get a better grasp on the issue.

The feds are seeking feedback from parents, teachers, students, and any other stakeholders on “the timely identification, evaluation and the appropriate provision” of special education services in Texas public schools.

This comes on the heels of the Houston Chronicle's September investigation into TEA’s special education system. The daily reported that the state had placed a 8.5 percent cap on all special education enrollment — far below a national average of 13 percent. This didn't mean the state has a surprisingly small number of children with disabilities.

It meant some 250,000 of these students have been denied critical in-school services like therapy, counseling and one-on-one tutoring.

http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/a...ation-policies

TX Repugs and their voters are sociopathic assholes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Koch brothers protégé and Founding Father wannabe Gov. Greg Abbott wants to amend your Cons ution 9 ways

Texas' governor, backed by the Kochs, wants the Cons ution amended to balance the budget, elevate corporate power

he has penned not one but nine new amendments to the Cons ution of the United States.

Forget the Bill of Rights, Abbott is proposing a bill of sale, effectively transferring the le of our national government from the people to the plutocrats. The upshot of his “tweaks” would be outlawing government actions that restrain corporate abuse of workers and consumers, while also preventing future Congresses from meeting crucial public needs such as health care, voter rights and restoration of our national infrastructure.

One could call Abbott and his Founding Father pretensions ludicrous — which both are — but he’s not the force behind this diabolical, ideological tampering with our Cons ution and our people’s ideals of fairness and justice. The American Legislative Exchange Council, at the direction of the Kochs and their corporate cohorts, wrote this bill of sale.

An ALEC and Koch affiliate called the Balanced Budget Amendment Task Force (with the bersome acronym of BBATF) came out of the Tea Party maelstrom in 2010 and is now aggressively pushing governors and state legislatures to endorse such an Article V convention. At the convention, it would attempt to rewrite our nation’s fundamental governing do ent by adding a balanced budget amendment, along with Abbott’s other eight. Together these changes would enthrone the “moneyed corporations” that Jefferson and other founders abhorred as destroyers of America’s democratic possibilities.

Applying Saul Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals,” thousands of people are being trained to become organizers and political activists. This “grassroots” outfit has been set up by the gabillionaire Koch boys to train cadres of right-wing corporatists to spread their ideological laissez-faire dust across the land. The academy is run through Americans for Prosperity, Charlie and Davie Koch’s political wing, which put up $3 million to get it going.

About 10,000 people have gone through some of the training sessions in three dozen states. The brothers’ grandiose scheme is to take over the Republican Party and use it as their tool to rebuild America itself into a Kochlandia, ruled by the superrich. The academy’s curriculum is loaded with such corporate nonsense as a course led “The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels.” Attendees are indoctrinated with two overarching lessons: 1. Freewheeling corporate power unrestrained by labor, environmental or other public protections is good. 2. Social Security, unemployment benefits and other social programs are bad.

Koch College for right-wing social engineers is peddling a status quo agenda of corporate elitism and trickle-down ideology, which the vast majority of Americans have openly rebelled against. It’s like trying to sell chicken salad made out of chicken manure.

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/04/koch...tution-9-ways/

The VRWC strategy signals the End Of The (Mythical) American Experiment. And there's no stopping the VRWC.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's how Texas Christians emulate Christ's love for meek, the poor, the afflicted.

Texas Begins $350M in Medicaid Cuts; Disabled Children Affected

Some $350 million in cuts to a Texas Medicaid program providing therapy for disabled children have taken effect.

They reduce revenue for some Texas therapy providers. Opponents say they'll force providers to close, and could cost roughly 60,000 children access to speech and occupational therapists.

"We will monitor the reduction of rates to ensure access to care is not impacted."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tex...407211905.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Christian Taliban news from Texastan

Texas senator literally breaks table to silence woman testifying against extreme anti-abortion bills

After subjecting the public to their unscientific, anti-choice ramblings in support of three extreme anti-choice bills, state Senator Charles Schwertner (R) — the chair of the Texas Senate’s Committee on Health and Human Services — couldn’t handle hearing the truth.

After the committee’s discussion, the floor was opened to the public for three hours of testimony. It took literally 10 minutes before state
    Sen. Schwertner lost his and broke a table to silence a member of the public practicing their right of free speech.

From the San Antonio Current:

"I'm here on behalf of all absent women, families and doctors across the state whose lives will be negatively impacted by this bill," began the testimony of Maggie Hennessy, a UT student and intern with NARAL Pro-Choice Texas. She was the fourth person to speak (of more than 50).

Hennessy verbally shredded Sen. Huffines bill against second-trimester abortions. Her voice shook with anger as she scolded lawmakers for openly putting women in danger. "Ms. Hennessy —" Schwertner interrupted a minute into her testimony. "Your time is done.”

But Hennessy went on, saying, "I urge you to all stop playing with reproductive health care like it's your own political puppet."

That's when Schwertner dropped the gavel — so hard that he shattered the glass table before him.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/2...ression-on-cnn

Thread Information