Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How California Bested Texas

These days, though, no one is talking about the lessons California should learn from Texas. California’s economy is improving, and its budget is finally balanced—partly because of budget cuts and a voter-approved tax hike in 2012, and partly because the stock-market boom has translated into more tax receipts from California’s wealthiest residents (the ones with those high income-tax rates).

These changes happen to come as Texas, the nation’s biggest oil-producing state by far, is grappling with a collapse in oil prices, which has depressed the price of a barrel of West Texas Intermediate crude oil to under fifty dollars a barrel for the first time in more than five years.

It will be several months before the government publishes figures on G.D.P. and business creation for the period coinciding with the drop in oil prices, but already there are signs of trouble.

Michael Feroli, the chief U.S. economist at JPMorgan Chase, said in December, “We think Texas will, at least, have a rough 2015 ahead, and is at risk of slipping into a regional recession.” The Texas budget, too, could be hurt by lost oil and gas taxes.

Brown, who was sworn in on Monday for a second consecutive term as governor of California (his fourth, including a stint from the late seventies to the early eighties), must have enjoyed a moment of schadenfreude if he happened to scan the Wall Street Journal_ _on his way to the inauguration. In an article on how the oil slump could hurt Texas, Jon Hilsenrath and his colleagues wrote,

“Some Texans sobered by memories of past energy busts are bracing for a fall. The argument among economists and business leaders isn’t whether the state will be hurt, but how badly.”

The concerns about Texas’s fortunes speak to a misperception of the state’s recent boom, and of California’s bust.

Texas’s outperformance of California had a lot to do with factors beyond the control of politicians like Perry and Newsom—namely, the importance of real estate to California’s economy, and the importance of oil to Texas’s.

In 2008, the real-estate and rental-and-leasing sectors were responsible for about sixteen per cent of California’s G.D.P., almost double the proportion in Texas. So it was inevitable that California was hit harder by the housing crash that sparked the recession than Texas was.

At the same time, Texas benefitted disproportionately from a rise in oil prices in recent years.

Oil and gas extraction makes up about eleven per cent of Texas’s economy, compared with one per cent of California’s.

In 2008, the year the recession began, the price of a barrel of West Texas Intermediate crude oil hit a record, topping a hundred and forty dollars a barrel; the price fell later that year, but it recovered relatively fast, reaching a hundred dollars again by 2011.

Mark Muro, the policy director at the Brookings Ins ution’s Metropolitan Policy Program, told me that ??

the recent natural-gas boom, coupled with rising oil prices, has been largely responsible for Texas’s growth, in G.D.P. as well as in employment and new business establishments, since the recession.

The role of policy measures like low taxes and the light regulation of businesses was probably overstated, he said.

The researchers’ findings were somewhat surprising.

Texas has a significant presence in five of the fifty advanced industries. That makes it the twelfth most diverse state—less diverse than

California, which is involved in fourteen advanced industries,

but more so than New York, the third-most-populous state.

But three of the five advanced industries present in Texas are related to the energy sector

—for instance, manufacturing of petroleum and coal products—which means they could be vulnerable to the oil crash, too. “By this measure, Texas is not monolithically tied to oil and gas, but it’s highly oriented towards it,” Muro told me. “One would have to wonder about the implications of the gas crash.”

http://www.newyorker.com/business/cu...a-bested-texas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Texas Tells Us About the Latest Threats to Women’s Health Care

Planned Parenthood operates more than six hundred clinics across the country, and

a majority of its patients have incomes that fall near or below the federal poverty level;

the organization receives around forty per cent of its revenue from federal funding, mostly through Medicaid.

Cutting off those payments would be a drastic change for women’s health care in this country.

For a glimpse of just how drastic it would be, we can look to Texas, where state legislators have been systematically defunding and handicapping Planned Parenthood for years.

Currently, the Texas legislature is in special session, and three more anti-abortion measures have already been passed.

One of them prevents local and state government agencies from contracting in any way—including via lease agreements—with clinics that are
    affiliated with abortion providers.

As with the federal provision attached to the repeal of Obamacare, Planned Parenthood is not mentioned by name in this Texas bill.

And yet, as Texas senators
    acknowledged last Friday, the bill only affects Planned Parenthood.

The campaign against Planned Parenthood in Texas kicked off in 2011, a point when, as Lawrence Wright noted recently in the magazine,

the organization was serving sixty per cent of the health needs of low-income women in the state.

the state government cut family-planning spending by two-thirds and approved a budget that, starting in 2013, banned Planned Parenthood from participating in the state’s women’s-health program, now called Healthy Texas Women.

Texas had to give up a nine-to-one federal funding match. Millions of dollars in spending for women’s health care were turned away.

sixteen additional states have already proposed or approved similar bans.

Within months of the family-planning budget getting slashed in Texas, more than sixty women’s-health clinics had closed.

Teen abortions and teen births have both been increasing in Texas since 2011, and

the maternal mortality rate in Texas doubled from 2010 to 2014.

It’s now 35.8 deaths per hundred thousand live births—

the worst maternal mortality rate you can find in the developed world. (TGB: Electing Repugs has consquences: dead women, more unwanted pregnancies, more abortions)

“Twenty or thirty years ago,” she told me over the phone, “we saw mainly women under the age of thirty-five. These days, as Texas women lose access to other options, we’re seeing more women, and a wider range of women—preteens up to women in their fifties and sixties.”

the Austin-area clinics have begun seeing more and more patients from farther away.

We routinely send prescriptions out in a seventy-five-to-one-hundred-mile radius.”

Years ago, I had a Planned Parenthood bumper sticker, and someone slashed my tires,”

Planned Parenthood serves such a large portion of low-income women, and has done so for so long, that other clinics are logistically incapable of picking up the slack.

“There is a real fear, if Texas continues along this line, if they continue to downgrade our funding—where will these women go?”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/what-texas-tells-us-about-the-latest-threats-to-womens-health-care?mbid=nl_TNY%20Template%20-%20With%20Photo%20(36)&CNDID=43758549&spMailingID= 11578863&spUserID=MTQzNTk4NzA3ODYzS0&spJobID=12025 53527&spReportId=MTIwMjU1MzUyNwS2

TX Repugs, you Repug voters, and above all, Texas Christian Sharia

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TX Christian Sharia news

Dozens Of Texas Businesses Tell Governor To Ditch ‘Bathroom Bill’

Discriminating against the transgender community is simply bad for business, they say.

More than 50 Houston-based businesses, including many big oil and gas companies, on Monday joined several other business groups in urging Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to drop the state’s so-called bathroom bill.

The bill, passed by the Texas Senate earlier this month and now awaiting Abbott’s signature,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...gEmail__080117

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas 'bathroom bill' dies in special legislative session

Texas measures to restrict access for transgender people to bathrooms in schools and public buildings died on Tuesday as the House adjourned and ended its special legislative session.

Business leaders and civil rights groups had campaigned heavily to defeat the bills, saying they were discriminatory and would damage the economy. The measures were blocked by moderate House Republicans.

Enactment in Texas, the most populous Republican-dominated state, could have given momentum to other socially conservative states for additional action on an issue that has become a flashpoint in the U.S. culture wars.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-te...2F+Top+News%29

Texas corporate money talks, Abbott gets stood up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. It would suck to see a bunch of sporting events and corporations leave Texas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. It would suck to see a bunch of sporting events and corporations leave Texas
    Big money more important than Christian Sharia hate, even in Bible-humping TX.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-16-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas voting law on language interpreters violates Voting Rights Act

Texas violated the Voting Rights Act by restricting the interpretation assistance English-limited voters may receive

U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that an obscure provision of the Texas Election Code that requires interpreters helping someone cast a ballot to also be registered to vote in the same county in which they are providing help clashes with federal voting protections.

That Texas law, the court found, violates a less-known section of the Voting Rights Act under which any voter who needs assistance because of visual impairments, disabilities or literacy skills can be helped in casting a ballot by the person of their choice, as long as it’s not their employer or a union leader.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08...ons utional/

If hyper-conservative/Priscilla-Owen 5th circuit says it's illegal, it's REALLY illegal

TX Repugs and you assholes who elect them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott got stood up and knock the ed over

Judge Blocks Texas Immigration Crackdown

An injunction prevents a state law banning so-called sanctuary cities from taking effect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...on%20Crackdown

appeal the corrupt, packed 5th Circuit ( Priscilla Owen! ) and it'll go

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Fun fact: We don't know exactly what might be exploding soon in Crosby because Abbott made it so that the chemical company doesn't have to tell anyone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legislators mull changing Texas law allowing criminal charges against rent-to-own customers

Texas lawmakers from both sides of the aisle said Friday they are mulling legislative reforms to criminal laws that allow rent-to-own companies to pursue criminal theft charges against customers who default on payments for sofas, TVs and other merchandis

an obscure provision of the penal code written 40 years ago by rental industry lobbyists. There are similar laws in other U.S. states, leading to the filing of charges against thousands of rent-to-own customers nationwide,

“enormously unfair” that a contract dispute could end up with one of the parties getting arrested.

“I don’t know why the police are ever involved in something like this,” Watson said. “It smacks of debtors’ prisons.

You find yourself involved in a misunderstanding, or even a legitimate dispute and one side can have you hauled to jail. We need to look at that. That doesn’t sound fair.”

compared the Tribune's findings to the concept of debtors' prisons, which are prohibited by the Texas Cons ution.

"Ultimately it comes down to prosecutorial discretion," Milam said. "In general they have an at ude of, if the law says it's illegal, we're just gonna file it."

"Without exception, no one that I’ve talked had any idea at the time they rented the items that they could ever be criminally prosecuted.

“If there are problems for those businesses as creditors in reclaiming their property through the civil justice system,

that's where the reforms need to happen,” he said. “This criminal justice provision probably just needs to be eliminated.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10...rvice-statute/

I suppose it's poor people with bad credit who do rent-to-buy programs, paying a huge interest rate even if they keep up, but if they fall behind, they are arrested and charged as criminals, screwing their job prospects.

And for 40 years, no legislator knew it was happening? They were paid to be ignorant

the rent-to-buy industry will certainly buy enough TX politicians to block reform, just like it bought enough politicians to pass the "law" the industry wrote.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .... continuing the preceding post:

Kicking in doors and crushing credit: How a Texas-based retailer torments customers

Thousands of Rent-A-Center customers are complaining in growing numbers of harassment and wrecked finances after leasing furniture, electronics or appliances from the Plano-based company.

Olivia Quinn stands next to a dresser she bought as a part of a bedroom set from Acceptance Now, on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017 in Newport News, Va. Quinn says a series of mistakes by the company led to a ding on her credit report, which cost her years of hassle and a mortgage.

Leroy Walton of Georgia settled his account with Rent-A-Center in 2013, his records show. But for years after, he says debt collectors pursued him, even threatening him with arrest.

Jessica Gonzalez’s federal lawsuit says she huddled with her two sons in a closet of her Florida home while a Rent-A-Center employee pounded on her house to collect money.

And Andrea Gorman told authorities that Rent-A-Center workers kicked in the front door of her Ohio home after she fell behind on payments.

Customers say their credit scores had been damaged unfairly and they were hounded by debt collectors after they settled their accounts.

Many do ented lengthy, unsuccessful attempts to get Rent-A-Center to correct its records, a joint investigation by NerdWallet and Raycom Media found.

Even Rent-A-Center shareholders have complained, filing a lawsuit against the company that argued shoddy record-keeping has damaged the business.

A Vizio soundbar with subwoofer retails for $148 at Amazon.

It would cost more than five times as much, $779, if lease-purchased in a one-year contract from Rent-A-Center.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10...r-torments-cu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Speese $2M / year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking Texas to trial: the latest on the state's court battles

Texas has a host of high-profile legal battles in the works, ranging from voting rights to political maps.

The “sanctuary cities” law

Redrawing the state’s House and congressional maps

State ban on second-trimester abortion procedure

Fetal remains

Language interpreters

Same-sex marriage benefits

Child welfare

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/11...court-battles/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas governor signs 'Save Chick-fil-A' bill

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) has signed into law a bill meant to protect private en ies from punishment over actions they take due to their religious beliefs.

The bill, which was signed into law Monday, according to local news affiliate KVUE, came in response to efforts by the San Antonio City Council to block a Chick-fil-A location from opening in the San Antonio airport. Consequently, the bill has been dubbed the "Save-Chick-fil-A" bill, according to local news outlet KVUE.

Abbott himself signed the bill shortly after posting on social media a picture of him eating Chick-fil-A.

Critics of the popular fast food chain argued that the owner's support for anti-gay groups and opposition to gay marriage should prohibit the chain from setting up a store in the airport.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ick-fil-a-bill

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The city of San Antonio has "deeply held moral beliefs" that TX Christian Taliban bags are bulldozing.

What if CfA were run by Muslims? Would TX Repugs protect them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol giving Greg Abbott credit for the legislative session. He can't do anything but sign it, the Texas Gov has zero power to set the agenda outside of a special session.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really have to give it to Republicans for knowing their audience and dumbing down the branding of legislation accordingly.

As though Chick-Fil-A is in any danger and needs saving. Maybe Democrats need to introduce voting rights legislation under the name of "Support Chip and Joanna's Rights."

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really have to give it to Republicans for knowing their audience and dumbing down the branding of legislation accordingly.

As though Chick-Fil-A is in any danger and needs saving. Maybe Democrats need to introduce voting rights legislation under the name of "Support Chip and Joanna's Rights."
    This is a joke.
    Save Chic Fil A, they are under extreme attack by Muslims.
    Now we got Chris worried.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Nothing about property taxes?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing about property taxes?
    sure, 2.5% or more increase in property taxes must now be voted on by referendum.

The assumption is that all taxes are bad, and tax revenues are wasted anyway, so why not defund (blue cities) into dysfunctionality?
    '

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    sure, 2.5% or more increase in property taxes must now be voted on by referendum.

The assumption is that all taxes are bad, and tax revenues are wasted anyway, so why not defund (blue cities) into dysfunctionality?
    '
    So tax hikes are just going to be 2.4%?

lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So tax hikes are just going to be 2.4%?

lol
    another excellent take

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    another excellent take
    Is it somehow inaccurate?

Let me know your specific here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it somehow inaccurate?

Let me know your specific here.
    pfarten's arithmetic is accurate.

=============

Why Texas property taxes are expected to skyrocket again this year

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2019/02/04/why-texas-property-taxes-are-expected-to-skyrocket.html

====

Texas has third-highest property tax rate for single-family homes, study finds

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/politics/article/Texas-has-third-highest-property-tax-rate-for-13753330.php

===============

2019’s Property Taxes by State

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

==================

raising TX property tax from 1.83% by 2.4% gives 1.87%, aka, "skyrocketing"

I cannot find the history of TX property taxes increases.

=============================

Breaking it down: This is how the new Texas property tax law affects you

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watc...ax-law-affects

bag Repugs are adding to state finance of public schools (of course with $100Ms stolen by charter schools) while reducing the property tax contribution to public schools.

"
    The state is also pumping billions into the school system in state dollars.

The amount paid for each student will jump from $5,180 to $6,160."

=========

(Big Badass) Texas ranks 36th nationally in per-student education spending.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/05/15/texas-student-teacher-spending-average/

TX is down at the bottom half in investing in education, just like all the other red/slave states.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-15-2019 at 12:50 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's why I didn't find it to be a yuge deal.

Thread Information