Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers, that is.

When projected first-rounder Australian guard Dante Exum told an Australian paper that he planned to speak with Lakers star Kobe Bryant about the transition to the NBA and signed with Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, there was a degree of concern that this could be foreshadowing. There were rumors, after all, later denied by Bryant and some executives, that as a high school phenom Bryant had threatened to play in Europe if anyone but the Lakers tried to draft him.

Now the Sporting News reports that some personnel are concerned about the same thing with Exum.

But would Exum go so far as to try to angle his way onto the Lakers, who currently have the fifth-worst record in the NBA? That's the concern among some front-office executives around the league.

“When you hear some of what he says, it does make you wonder how the process is going to go as far as workouts and that sort of thing,” one general manager told Sporting News. “We have seen this story before, of course. I am not sure a player can have that kind of control, though.”

via NBA Draft: Is Dante Exum destined to be a Laker? - NBA - Sporting News.

Pulling that kind of stunt now as opposed to when Bryant did it in the late-90's is a different deal, now. Not only is there more reporting and more scrutiny with the internet and social media, but Adam Silver played a huge hand in the CBA negotiations towards leveling the playing field for small markets to prevent exactly this kind of thing.

Odds are that Exum will be happy no matter where he's drafted and this is a non-factor. But it's interesting that some league personnel have a concern about a possible demand from the youngster.
    LINK

Exum: 6'6"
    Kobe: 6'7"
    Wes Johnson: 6'8"
    Melo: 6'8"
    MVPau: 7'

^ lineup is long, athletic, and versatile. I could see the 18 year old rook blowing by and posting up 30 year old Enrique or CPFlop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exum doing Australia proud. Hope he gets drafted to a big franchise

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Sounds like another gamma male who needs a generational big man and a Horry-esque clutch player to carry him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still a first round exit if not a lottery team tbh.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For all the whining people make over youngsters "not wanting to play in certain places", it's hard to argue with the results

John Elway: Don't wanna be a Baltimore Colt...Colts move away a year later, Elway goes to 5 superbowls and wins 2
    Kobe Bryant: Don't wanna be a Hornet...Hornets eventually move away, Kobe wins 5 rings and goes to 7 NBA Finals.
    Eli Manning: Don't wanna be a Charger...Wins 2 SBs in NY, SD still hasn't seen the big game since 1994.

Let's be honest, these kids know more than you do

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Eli Manning: Don't wanna be a Charger...Wins 2 SBs in NY, SD still hasn't seen the big game since 1994.
    Hated Eli at the time (I don't anymore), but he and his father were totally right about AJ Smith, tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, Eli Manning is a poor example. Also not like Elway forced his way to a major city either.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Still a first round exit if not a lottery team tbh.
    Nah, at least 2nd round fodder if Mamba sits the rest of this year and comes back healthy next year.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For all the whining people make over youngsters "not wanting to play in certain places", it's hard to argue with the results

John Elway: Don't wanna be a Baltimore Colt...Colts move away a year later, Elway goes to 5 superbowls and wins 2
    Kobe Bryant: Don't wanna be a Hornet...Hornets eventually move away, Kobe wins 5 rings and goes to 7 NBA Finals.

Truth bombs.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Steve Francis doesn't want to play in beautiful Vancouver, forces his way to hole Houston, gets addicted to crack, and will be dead in 5 years.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Steve Francis doesn't want to play in beautiful Vancouver, forces his way to hole Houston, gets addicted to crack, and will be dead in 5 years.
    But yet again, another player who refused to play for a franchise that moved away anyways

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why the would Pau resign with the Lakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

add Ricky Rubio to the list

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^This, but the better question is why would the Lakers attempt to resign him? We couldn't get a late first-rounder (historically unimportant pick anyways), and towards the end we would've settled for some nachos and a large coke in return yet there were still no takers.

And no to Melo and Wes Johnson too. It's terrible to say but we need the team plane to go down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, at least 2nd round fodder if Mamba sits the rest of this year and comes back healthy next year.
    Healthy Kobe still won't be anything more than a roleplayer at this point tbh. He'll prolly be Derek Fisher with a bit more consistency and more FTs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^This, but the better question is why would the Lakers attempt to resign him? We couldn't get a late first-rounder (historically unimportant pick anyways), and towards the end we would've settled for some nachos and a large coke in return yet there were still no takers.

And no to Melo and Wes Johnson too. It's terrible to say but we need the team plane to go down.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Sounds like another gamma male who needs a generational big man and a Horry-esque clutch player to carry him
    Juan Diego can't even these truthbombs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers, that is.

Exum: 6'6"
    Kobe: 6'7"
    Of the 1st three plays on the video, the 2nd is him receiving 2 bogus foul shots.
    The third is of him obviously travelling and no call.
    Stopped watching after that.

Go Kirby II

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    tbh we should assemble the old gang back next year (minus Gasol, of course). Get Odom, Bynum, and Fisher back with one-year deals, have them play a farewell tour with Kobe enroute to a 30-win season. If Pau sticks around for cheap, maybe we get 1-2 more W's. It would be nostalgically awesome, and Parker or Randle would get to play his first year with a bunch of championship vets before taking on a more important role in 2015. They're going to suck anyways next season so I'm just spitballing ideas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White EXU(m)?

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers will always remain a popular destination for many. The same cant be said about the Spurs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The same reason he feigns bogus injuries just prior to the NBA trade deadline. He's been doing that the last 3 years in a row. He wants to be a LakerPERID

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Still no response from Jorge

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Of the 1st three plays on the video, the 2nd is him receiving 2 bogus foul shots.
    The third is of him obviously travelling and no call.
    Stopped watching after that.

Go Kirby II
    STD-Wade has made a (probable) HOF career of the above.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe - 5
    CP0 -

Thread Information