Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Clowney is a freak but how long can you keep him and Watt together? Both of them will need to get paid eventually. Spending big money on an elite DE is normal but doing it on two seems like it would be a stupid decision. Not to mention the fact that a QB's impact on a team trumps the impact of any other position.
    Translation: "Don't draft Clowney because he isn't Inbred!!!"

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    So basically they shouldn't draft clowney because he'll be too good.. seems legit

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I'm hoping Houston drafts Manziel, but I wouldn't blame them for taking Clowney.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    Former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel continues to set himself up to cash in on his future. In line to eventually secure a "Johnny Football" trademark, Manziel's team filed for more trademarks recently, including "The House That Johnny Built."
    Goddamn, Inbred is such a got....

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    So basically they shouldn't draft clowney because he'll be too good.. seems legit
    Watt will get paid in two years, tops. Clowney 3 years after that. Are you seriously telling me having two DEs on Mario Williams-esque deals shouldn't be a concern? Unless Clowney can also play OLB at a high level that seems like a lot of money to tie up into one position group.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Watt will get paid in two years, tops. Clowney 3 years after that. Are you seriously telling me having two DEs on Mario Williams-esque deals shouldn't be a concern? Unless Clowney can also play OLB at a high level that seems like a lot of money to tie up into one position group.
    well 20+2M on a "franchise" and backup qb is just as much money, what now? Seriously, such an argument so early in a players career is just re ed, even if they couldn't keep him, they could always trade him.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    still more than a month till the draft...

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Yeah, if the Texans fail to draft Clowney because they're afraid about the possibility of having to pay two dominant pass-rushers in their primes, they should probably just go ahead and contract, especially since they can easily stagger the cap hits to make it manageable.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yeah, if the Texans fail to draft Clowney because they're afraid about the possibility of having to pay two dominant pass-rushers in their primes, they should probably just go ahead and contract, especially since they can easily stagger the cap hits to make it manageable.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    If yall really think that is something that shouldnt be/isnt being taken into consideration then

Clowney is unquestionably the best player in this class. If it were as easy as just taking the best player then there'd also be no question about who Houston is taking...but that's far from being the case right now. I wonder why tbh.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    If yall really think that is something that shouldnt be/isnt being taken into consideration then

Clowney is unquestionably the best player in this class. If it were as easy as just taking the best player then there'd also be no question about who Houston is taking...but that's far from being the case right now. I wonder why tbh.
    tbh if they would draft out of need, then they would draft either greg robinson or jake matthews.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    BPA is easily the best strategy. you do that over the course of years and u have a stacked roster, instead of perpetually filling holes

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count

The cap hit thing is not an issue. It's absurd that you'd think so. Watt can get a new contract starting this season. Clowney wouldn't have to get one for five years. Even when Watt is in his big-money years, Clowney would either be on his rookie deal still or in the first (cheapest) years of his second contract.

Even if the cap hits were both big at the same time, it's hardly unprecedented for a team to have two linemen making big money at the same time. Suggs and Ngata, Rice and Sapp, the Williams Wall, Osi and Tuck, Freeney and Mathis. The list goes on. If the biggest question you have about the pass rush is if you can afford the talent you have, you just shut up and pay the money.

Finally, you don't draft scared of what's going to happen in five years. The NFL's too uncertain. No one knows if Watt is going to even see another contract from Houston. He may be retired or traded or released. Or whatever.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    tbh if they would draft out of need, then they would draft either greg robinson or jake matthews.
    Their line sucked no doubt but all signs point to them getting a QB if they draft based on need.

BPA is easily the best strategy. you do that over the course of years and u have a stacked roster, instead of perpetually filling holes
    Disagree. It depends on the team.

The cap hit thing is not an issue. It's absurd that you'd think so. Watt can get a new contract starting this season. Clowney wouldn't have to get one for five years. Even when Watt is in his big-money years, Clowney would either be on his rookie deal still or in the first (cheapest) years of his second contract.

Even if the cap hits were both big at the same time, it's hardly unprecedented for a team to have two linemen making big money at the same time. Suggs and Ngata, Rice and Sapp, the Williams Wall, Osi and Tuck, Freeney and Mathis. The list goes on. If the biggest question you have about the pass rush is if you can afford the talent you have, you just shut up and pay the money.

Finally, you don't draft scared of what's going to happen in five years. The NFL's too uncertain. No one knows if Watt is going to even see another contract from Houston. He may be retired or traded or released. Or whatever.
    1.You are acting like I'm saying it is the sole reason or major reason why Houston should think long and hard before drafting him.
    2. Last I read Houston has not even begun to think about an extension for Watt.
    3. A DT/DE duo is not the same thing.
    4. Tuck was a 3rd round pick. Mathis was a 5th rounder. It's not like those teams had Freeney/Osi and decided to spend the top overall pick on another DE.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying Houston would be stupid to draft him. The thought of a Watt-Clowney duo is pretty tempting but let's also not act like certain doesn't need to be taken into consideration. It really is far from being as simple as Clowney is the BPA and that's it.
    Last edited by FkLA; 04-06-2014 at 03:20 AM.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    not thinking about an extension for Watt...what horrible take. He's basically their franchise player right now. He will be extended before the season is over.

Oh...and surprise, surprise...you are backtracking again after taking a position. And you wonder why I've walked away from so many conversations with you and advised others to do the same. It's like arguing with a ing sixth grader.

Mack > Clowney

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    I'd be happy with either. Both are game changing players and have more certainty about them than any of the QB's projected to go in the first.

I'd be happy with either. Both are game changing players and have more certainty about them than any of the QB's projected to go in the first.
    I'm no Lombardi, but after reading and watching everything I can the past month or two, I'm just not sold on Clowney.

Hopefully a team offers a great deal for the first pick and Texans can trade down to get an extra first and possibly an extra second (depending on how high a team values Clowney).

There's no standout QB this draft (although I do think Manziel has highest ceiling of the class). I'd rather them fill in the holes on both sides of trenches (RT, G, DT, DE), LB position and secondary (CB) this draft. Let Fitz, Keenum and Yates battle out the game manager position -- draft your QB next year (hopefully with one of two 1st's -- if Texans trade down). There's no QB in the draft that can make this team an instant contender anyway.

Texans are two great, three good drafts away from being relevant again-- especially w/ the yearly regression Foster has displayed the past 3 years (I think he'll be done in 2 years).

I wouldn't mind seeing Texans trying to flip Andre for a 2nd rounder this draft ( which is WR deep) either.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Their line sucked no doubt but all signs point to them getting a QB if they draft based on need.

Disagree. It depends on the team.

1.You are acting like I'm saying it is the sole reason or major reason why Houston should think long and hard before drafting him.
    2. Last I read Houston has not even begun to think about an extension for Watt.
    3. A DT/DE duo is not the same thing.
    4. Tuck was a 3rd round pick. Mathis was a 5th rounder. It's not like those teams had Freeney/Osi and decided to spend the top overall pick on another DE.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying Houston would be stupid to draft him. The thought of a Watt-Clowney duo is pretty tempting but let's also not act like certain doesn't need to be taken into consideration. It really is far from being as simple as Clowney is the BPA and that's it.
    1 It's not a reason at all. That's the point.

2 Then why worry about the Texans not being able to afford both?

3 How is it any different?

4 We're talking about spending money on a second contract, not drafting initially. Don't change the subject. The Colts still decided to pay both their ends huge money when the time came. The Giants paid their ends AND still took a third with their first-rounder.

There are some exceptions to BPA. That's why the Ravens use their hybrid system instead. There are definitely reasons not to take Clowney first overall. It's just that already having Watt isn't one of them.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    I'm no Lombardi, but after reading and watching everything I can the past month or two, I'm just not sold on Clowney.
    Clowney didn't really have a great season this past year, and his own coach doesn't seem all that enamored with him. Apparently Mario Williams's drills were better than Clowney's in all but one category (40-yard dash). Having said that, though I hope and think the Texans may take Manziel #1, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to take Clowney or Mack and hoped a decent quarterback would fall to the second round. Their coach mentioned possibly drafting two quarterbacks, so they might go that route and just hope one pans out.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    At this point, if the Texans keep the number 1 pick, I would hope they would take Mack.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I'm hoping Mack falls to #5... But I'm sure even if that happens the raiders will draft somebody else

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    not thinking about an extension for Watt...what horrible take. He's basically their franchise player right now. He will be extended before the season is over.
    You imbecile...

Google Watt extension. Currently they have not begun to think of an extension, mainly bc they still have a lot of time. That comment wasn't to suggest he isn't a big piece of Houston.

Oh...and surprise, surprise...you are backtracking again after taking a position. And you wonder why I've walked away from so many conversations with you and advised others to do the same. It's like arguing with a ing sixth grader.
    Oh surprise surprise your comprehension skills are still . If you think any of my posts suggested having to pay both of them big money is the sole reason/main reason why the Texans shouldnt take Clowney then you are stupid, simple as that.

And then you wonder why you get called Dunning-Kruger smh.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    in all seriousness i hope FkLA gets his wish. just increases the odds of a watt/clowney falling to 5

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    1 It's not a reason at all. That's the point.

2 Then why worry about the Texans not being able to afford both?

3 How is it any different?

4 We're talking about spending money on a second contract, not drafting initially. Don't change the subject. The Colts still decided to pay both their ends huge money when the time came. The Giants paid their ends AND still took a third with their first-rounder.

There are some exceptions to BPA. That's why the Ravens use their hybrid system instead. There are definitely reasons not to take Clowney first overall. It's just that already having Watt isn't one of them.
    1.That your opinion. In mine it's something that has to be considered. Two players of the same position group on Mario Williams deals is pretty unattractive.

2. That comment was in response to you saying Watt could get a new contract this year. They could opt in for the 5th year and give him a contract then instead, so more overlapping.

3.How not? A DT is a completely different position, with a completely different skillset and function.

4. I understand that the contracts for a duo have been/can be done. I'm just pointing out that spending a top overall pick to get the second half of the duo hasn't.

If they decide to pick based on need, and Watt is a year removed from being named the DPOY, how does he have nothing to do with it?

Thread Information