Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Seriously, I've never heard of a player not being willing to restructure. The Texans aren't in a place to restructure, anyway. They seem a year away from even returning to their level from two years ago.
    I guess it depends on how many times they were asked. Ware wasn't willing this time.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    thinking Kiper is a legit source for draft information

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I guess it depends on how many times they were asked. Ware wasn't willing this time.
    Yes he was. He wasn't willing to take a pay cut. That's a big difference.

thinking Kiper is a legit source for draft information
    why so salty bruh?

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    why so salty bruh?
    Said Kiper, “If Clausen’s not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jimmy-clausen/

cant all be winners tbh... btw bradford is nothin great either...

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yes he was. He wasn't willing to take a pay cut. That's a big difference.
    Aye, I was just assuming he wanted out no matter what

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    3yrs/11.25 for Graham. About what I expected.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Welp

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    JFF

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    They are looking for bargains due to lack of cap space...which means UDFA's after the draft and maybe one player player left out in the cold during FA.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    The June 1 cuts usually produce a LOT of good players tbh

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    I hope so. The only other big move I expect is Schaub getting cut.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    They are looking for bargains due to lack of cap space...which means UDFA's after the draft and maybe one player player left out in the cold during FA.
    They have cap space. They are already 13 million under, I think they need to focus on drafting first and fill holes through FA.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The June 1 cuts usually produce a LOT of good players tbh
    mostly old and washed up or just bad tbh.. hardly any substancial difference for a team like yours.. i honestly have no idea what their plan was in this offseason.. Maybe to not overpay anyone and get some veteran help and become decent, so that the next year players would not ask for twice as much money to get to them.. Can't think of anything else tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    mostly old and washed up or just bad tbh.. hardly any substancial difference for a team like yours.. i honestly have no idea what their plan was in this offseason.. Maybe to not overpay anyone and get some veteran help and become decent, so that the next year players would not ask for twice as much money to get to them.. Can't think of anything else tbh
    the raiders have had such an opportunity this offseason... with the ridiculous cap space they had, they could have signed guys but giving them bloated contracts that were massively frontloaded, which no other teams could match. this would theoretically allow us to fill several holes while maintaining cap flexibility down the line.

this is the approach i was hoping they would make with a free agent like Mack, but it doesn't seem to be the case. they seem to be content operating as if they had 15 min in cap space instead of the 65+ they had.

the june 1 cuts are very helpful though. they're aren't going to give you make or break franchise players but they can give you a lot of valuable depth or fill-in starters. its a 53 man roster, and its hard to full those up with just the UFA's during this period

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    They have cap space. They are already 13 million under, I think they need to focus on drafting first and fill holes through FA.
    That's not a lot when you look at the holes they have to fill tbh.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    realize that draft picks get money too. a #1 overall QB would be making nearly 6 mil per year if im not mistaken

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    realize that draft picks get money too. a #1 overall QB would be making nearly 6 mil per year if im not mistaken
    Rookie contracts actually count weirdly against the cap. Here's an article from last year talking about it:

http://russellstreetreport.com/expla...ctually-works/

In the days following this week’s NFL draft, the league will announce each team’s “Year One Rookie Allocation” (formerly known as the “Rookie Pool” or “Rookie Salary Cap”). This is an oft misunderstood number, because while it is part of the team’s Salary Cap, it does not have a dollar-for-dollar impact on the team’s overall Salary Cap.

The Rookie Salary Cap is often referred to as “a cap within a cap” because it limits the amount that teams can allocate to their rookies in the year they were drafted (and over the life of the rookies’ contracts). But, beyond that, there is a lot of confusion about the Rookie Salary Cap and exactly how it works. Even some in the media do not fully understand the mechanics of it. Some have been heard to say that it’s a totally separate pool of money that is not included in the team’s overall Cap. Others think the entire amount of the Rookie Cap is included in the team’s overall Cap, meaning that teams will need that much overall Cap space to sign their rookies.

Both of those characterizations are incorrect.

The Rookie Cap is not a separate, distinct pool, but rather, a separate calculation and there is not a dollar-for-dollar correlation between the Rookie Cap and the overall Cap. So, while all of the Salary Cap numbers of a team’s draft picks must fit under the team’s Rookie Salary Cap, very rarely will all of that amount actually impact the team’s overall Salary Cap.

The reason for these misconceptions revolves around the Rule of 51, which is contained in Article 13 of the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Rule of 51 dictates that, from the beginning of the league year in early March until the beginning of the season, only the top 51 Salary Cap numbers and all of the pro-rata shares of bonus money for the players outside of the top 51 count toward the team’s overall Cap. All “dead money,” i.e. amounts that count against the Salary Cap for players who are no longer on the roster, counts as well.

Said a simpler way, during this period of the offseason, a team’s Rule of 51 Salary Cap number can be calculated by removing the base salaries of all players who do not fall amongst the top 51 Cap numbers.

This rule is necessary because, during the offseason, team rosters can number up to 90 players. As such, it would be impossible for teams to fit all of those players under the Cap. So, to counter this problem, the NFL has ins uted the Rule of 51.

So, by way of example, let’s say a team’s 51st highest Cap number is $515K (a 2nd year minimum base salary of $480K + $35K in bonus proration) and the next highest Cap number is $490K (base salary of $480 base salary + $10K in bonus proration). Because the “52nd” highest Cap number doesn’t count against the Cap, that player’s base salary of $480K will not count against the team’s Cap, but his $10K in bonus proration will. This would also apply to all other players who are outside the team’s top 51 – the player’s base salary will not count, but any bonus prorations will.

OK, so what does this have to do with how the Rookie Cap works?

First, as way of further explanation, under the CBA of 2011, all rookies receive 4-year contracts, generally with a signing bonus and often with minimum base salaries set for each year of the deal. While 1st and 2nd round picks may have base salaries of more than the minimum in years two through four of their deals, even those players will almost always receive the rookie minimum base salary during their first year. For 2013, the minimum base salary for a rookie is $405K. For Salary Cap purposes, the bonus received by the player is prorated over the four years of the deal and that prorated amount is added to the base salary to create the player’s Cap number.

So, because of the low base salary and the small signing bonuses that many of the lower round draft picks receive, those draft picks will most likely not be amongst the top 51 Cap numbers on the team (assuming the team has at least 51 players signed or tendered). As such, under the Rule of 51, those players’ base salaries of $405K will not count against the teams overall Salary Cap and only the player’s bonus proration will count toward the team’s overall Cap.
    So Houston will have to allocate a larger chunk of their cap to draft picks than most teams, but it's still not nearly as muchas you'd think.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Bridgewater had a lackluster pro day. Lots of inaccurate passes. Unless Bortles just blows everyone away I'm thinking Houston takes Clowney.

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    Bridgewater had a lackluster pro day. Lots of inaccurate passes. Unless Bortles just blows everyone away I'm thinking Houston takes Clowney.
    lol he came in at 208 pounds

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    Tape Tape Tape

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    he makes newton salivate with his game managing skills

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Post Count
    What does Kirby have to do with Teddy Bridgewater?

Thread Information