Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disney CEO Bob Iger is one of eight co-chairs of the Partnership for a New American Economy, a leading group advocating for an increase in the H-1B visa cap. Last Friday, the partnership was a sponsor of an H-1B briefing at the U.S. Capitol for congressional staffers. The briefing was closed to the press. One of the briefing do ents obtained after the meeting stated, "H-1B workers complement — instead of displace — U.S. Workers." Last October, however, Disney laid off at least 135 IT staff (though employees say it was hundreds more), many of them longtime workers. Disney then replaced them with H-1B contractors that company said could better "focus on future innovation and new capabilities." The fired workers believe the primary motivation behind Disney's action was cost-cutting. "Some of these folks were literally flown in the day before to take over the exact same job I was doing," one former employee said. Disney officials promised new job opportunities as a result of the restructuring, but the former staff interviewed by Computerworld said they knew of few co-workers who had landed one of the new jobs. Use of visa workers in a layoff is a public policy issue, particularly for Disney. Ten U.S. senators are currently seeking a federal investigation into displacement of IT workers by H-1B-using contractors. Kim Berry, president of the Programmer's Guild, said Congress should protect American workers by mandating that positions can only be filled by H-1B workers when no qualified American — at any wage — can be found to fill the position."

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    elnonono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, it's not a problem affecting me personally, I run my own business...

It's simply an area that covers a lot of things we discuss here about the economy: immigration, depressing wages, unemployment, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's simply an area that covers a lot of things we discuss here about the economy: immigration, depressing wages, unemployment, etc.
    and it's Disney/ABC/ESPN/Viacomm

I'm very skeptical about the Asia trade deal.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

I honestly just wanted to type elnono no, with of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly just wanted to type elnono no, with of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Everybody seems in on it...
    http://www.renewoureconomy.org/about/

It's a nice racket too, since people on H1Bs can't go work for a different employer. No workforce compe ion, drive wages down...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everybody seems in on it...
    http://www.renewoureconomy.org/about/

It's a nice racket too, since people on H1Bs can't go work for a different employer. No workforce compe ion, drive wages down...
    Tying immigration rights to an employer is indentured servitude.

and at that member collage. It's west coast industrialists and minority mayors. that was the gravy train Obama rode to an election and who are his most important cons uents. Castro must be thinking the same thing. If he just ends up being braindrained from San Antonio I guess it's only fair considering Austin's policies.

I hope Supreme Court justice nominations finds its way into the national debate. O'Conner sounds half dead. It's either that or cons utional amendment.

we are back in the rockefeller age and those type have undone all the work of their parents generations and left us with the same bag from a century ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

TPP is not a trade deal. trade is only 5 chapters out of 29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what are the other chapters about and where did you come by the information?

like it says in the HEB backrooms and storerooms, "don't hoard the knowledge. "

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

I'm all for the visas in areas that are short of skilled people. IT is not one of them however. This should be illegal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A request by 10 U.S. senators to investigate H-1B visa use at Southern California Edison (SCE) and other companies is meeting resistance at the U.S. Department of Labor.

The DOL is telling lawmakers that it can't initiate an investigation in the absence of a complaint by an employee. The department also seems to be suggesting, in a letter to lawmakers, that an investigation may be fruitless because it is legal to replace U.S. workers with H-1B workers.

The DOL "lacks a basis to initiate an investigation," wrote M. Patricia Smith, the solicitor of labor for the department, in a letter to U.S. Sen. Durbin (D-Ill.), one of the 10 senators who requested an investigation of SCE and reports of other displacements of U.S. workers as well. The department's Wage and Hour Division "has not received a complaint from an aggrieved party or a credible source," she wrote.

Some affected SCE workers told Computerworld that they had to train their replacements, who they said were on temporary visas. The Senate's Judiciary Committee held a hearing on IT worker displacements and independently received written statements from SCE workers, who described similar fates.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-h-1b-use.html

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Ten senators...

That's good enough to get the ball rolling on changing the immigration laws.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ten senators...

That's good enough to get the ball rolling on changing the immigration laws.
    The tech, etc industry wants to increase H-1B quote by many 10Ks annually, with triggers to increase by 10Ks if quota is hit. The argument "not enough US STEM grads" is a LIE covering "STEM grads from Asia, East Europe are a lot cheaper"

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Interesting:

Two of the lawmakers who are seeking an investigation, Blumenthal and McCaskill, are co-sponsors of the I-Square bill, which would raise the base H-1B visa cap of 65,000 to 195,000.
    Seems to me, they agree with me that H-1B visas are OK, when we don't have sufficiently trained US employees.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The tech, etc industry wants to increase H-1B quote by many 10Ks annually, with triggers to increase by 10Ks if quota is hit. The argument "not enough US STEM grads" is a LIE covering "STEM grads from Asia, East Europe are a lot cheaper"
    You forget, I have been on the inside of such industries. There is a valid shortage in some engineering positions. However, I have never seen a shortage of qualified technical positions like IT, automation repair, etc. to warrant these positions allow for H-1B positions. Then, for the law to allow getting rid of qualified individuals, and replace them with foreigners...

Not technically treason, but it should be.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Boutons...

Aren't you one that is for allowing illegal immigration, amnesty, etc. from across out southern border?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boutons...

Aren't you one that is for allowing illegal immigration, amnesty, etc. from across out southern border?
    damn, you're ing stupid. Increasing H-1B quota to kill US citizens' jobs is about as close to the illegal immigrant situation as cops murdering blacks is to black on black crime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forget, I have been on the inside of such industries. There is a valid shortage in some engineering positions. However, I have never seen a shortage of qualified technical positions like IT, automation repair, etc. to warrant these positions allow for H-1B positions. Then, for the law to allow getting rid of qualified individuals, and replace them with foreigners...

Not technically treason, but it should be.
    Yeah, when you're flat out replacing entire departments with immigrants, the whole "shortage" no longer makes sense.

I was actually a H1B immigrant in the 90's dotcom bubble. Everybody was hiring, you had companies coming out of the woodwork.

But right now?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    damn, you're ing stupid. Increasing H-1B quota to kill US citizens' jobs is about as close to the illegal immigrant situation as cops murdering blacks is to black on black crime.
    Why?

Because they take away good paying jobs instead of low wage jobs?

Are you such an elitist, that jobs to the middle class are more important than jobs to the lower class?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Yeah, when you're flat out replacing entire departments with immigrants, the whole "shortage" no longer makes sense.

I was actually a H1B immigrant in the 90's dotcom bubble. Everybody was hiring, you had companies coming out of the woodwork.

But right now?
    Yep.

I don't see too many places needing to import workers, especially with all the jobs leaving the USA. The job I was laid off from in 2002, went to Malaysia. My CMP department had two H-1B engineers. One from India, the other from Japan. The rest of the engineers were US citizens. All the managers, and technicians were citizens. Other departments were similar in a small percentage of H-1B individuals, but only the engineers with PHD's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even their flyers are terrible for anybody that's been in the H1B system and understand how it works:

"When the Department of Homeland Security denied Amit Aharoni a high-skilled, H-1B visa in 2011, the decision had consequences far beyond a single potential worker in the American economy. At the time, Aharoni was the CEO of CruiseWise, a travel-booking firm he founded in 2010 that had hired nine U.S.-born employees in a single year"

Well, no , he couldn't qualify for an H1B. Unless it changed in the last few years, an H1B is a temporary worker visa, and requires a US company to sponsor it. Once granted, the worker can only work for that company.
    If this guy was so good, he should've applied and obtained a O-1A visa without a problem. That visa is not even capped.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A look at California's effort to build an H-1B firewall

It's not just California that's trying: N.J. lawmakers passed an anti-offshoring bill that was later vetoed by Gov. Chris Christie ( Wall St FatBas warring on US employees )

California lawmakers are considering a bill that would make it difficult for state-regulated utilities to replace U.S. workers with H-1B workers. It may be one of the most significant anti-offshoring measures in years.

In the absence of federal action, states have long tried to put the brakes on the shift of jobs to offshore. Legislative efforts began in earnest with the burst of the dotcom bubble in 2001. Many state bills were never adopted, but that hasn't stopped some from trying.

In New Jersey, for instance, lawmakers in 2012 approved legislation intended to impede call center outsourcing. The Communication Workers of America, which spurred the effort, said that it had represented about 3,000 New Jersey call center workers in 2002, but by 2012, that figure had fallen to 725.

http://www.itworld.com/article/29437...day_2015-07-02

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I'm all for the visas in areas that are short of skilled people. IT is not one of them however. This should be illegal.
    Surprised you think so. Thought you'd be one of the "freedom to hire whoever" people. I personally don't really have an issue with it... don't we want skilled immigrants? If they can do the job, then great. Better than outsourcing at least.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised you think so. Thought you'd be one of the "freedom to hire whoever" people. I personally don't really have an issue with it... don't we want skilled immigrants? If they can do the job, then great. Better than outsourcing at least.
    screwing American (skilled) workers by importing cheap Asian labor?

Corporate-Americans work extremely to eliminate compe ion, while screwing Human-American employees into cut-throat compe ion.

Thread Information