My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...s-follow-suit/

lol workers want to get paid more but make more now and do not qualify for handouts so their asking their bosses for less hours so they can get handouts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

Despite a booming economy throughout western Washington, the state’s welfare caseload has dropped very little since the higher wage phase began in Seattle in April. In March 130,851 people were enrolled in the Basic Food program. In April, the caseload dropped to 130,376.

At the same time, prices appear to be going up on just about everything.

Some restaurants have tacked on a 15 percent surcharge to cover the higher wages. And some managers are no longer encouraging customers to tip, leading to a redistribution of income. Workers in the back of the kitchen, such as dishwashers and cooks, are getting paid more, but servers who rely on tips are seeing a pay cut.

Some long-time Seattle restaurants have closed altogether, though none of the owners publicly blamed the minimum wage law.

“It’s what happens when the government imposes a restriction on the labor market that normally wouldn’t be there, and marginal businesses get hit the hardest, and usually those are small, neighborhood businesses,” said Paul Guppy, of the Washington Policy Center.

Seattle was followed by San Francisco and Los Angeles in passing a $15 minimum wage law. The wage is being phased in over several years to give businesses time to adjust. The current minimum wage in Seattle is $11. In San Francisco, it’s $12.25.

And it is spreading. Beyond the city of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors this week also approved a $15 minimum wage.

New York state could be next, with the state Wage Board on Wednesday backing a $15 wage for fast-food workers, something Gov. Andrew Cuomo has supported.

Already, though, there are unintended consequences in other cities.

Comix Experience, a small book store in downtown San Francisco, has begun selling graphic novel club subscriptions in order to meet payroll. The owner, Brian Hibbs, admits members are not getting all that much for their $25 per month dues, but their “donation” is keeping him in business.

“I was looking at potentially having to close the store down and then how would I make my living?” Hibbs asked.

To date, he’s sold 228 subscriptions. He says he needs 334 to reach his goal of the $80,000 income required to cover higher labor costs. He doesn’t blame San Francisco voters for approving the $15 minimum wage, but he doesn’t think they had all the information needed to make a good decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $15/hr in Seattle still seems like near poverty levels.

In San Antonio it would ok I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    evidence is surfacing

WE FOUND ONE!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    top 25 metro areas should mandate $25/hour by 2020, indexed to inflation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    top 25 metro areas should mandate $25/hour by 2020, indexed to inflation
    they will pass the $$$ on to the customers
    mcdonalds will cost you $20 for lunch just for u

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just because you own a small business does not mean you are wealthy. Lot of small business open up because they can not find jobs. They have less then 10k in their bank accounts.
    average small businesses can not afford that unless they need skilled labors and they are paying higher then min wage anyhow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wonder how many small business owners will file bankrapcy lots of businesses are closing there now.

but those people are getting out of poverty only to bring others into it!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

link was in the post above
    DERP. My bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per par

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how much does CEO make, selling fast food ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how much does CEO make, selling fast food ?
    Nigel Travis

Executive Compensation

As Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at DUNKIN' BRANDS GROUP INC, Nigel Travis made $10,204,803in total compensation.

Of this total $990,385 was received as a salary, $555,682 was received as a bonus,$2,945,316 was received in stock options, $5,691,420 was awarded as stock and $22,000 came from other types of compensation.

This information is according to proxy statements filed for the 2014 fiscal year.

http://www1.salary.com/Nigel-Travis-...GROUP-INC.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh no he has money not all that own the stores have his money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real issue is the erosion of quality jobs for people with little to no training. Manufacturing is an area fairly hard hit. It's a complex topic, but in a nuts : re-training costs money, companies only want to pay part-time to skimp on the benefits, and people need to pay their bills. There's really no easy answer to this, the minimum wage hike is just a band-aid over a much larger problem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The real issue is ..."

... the greed of the predatory capitalists. There's $Ts of wealth, but it's being hoarded by the 1%. They have so much now they could NEVER spend it all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is
    "The real issue is ..."

... the greed of the predatory capitalists. There's $Ts of wealth, but it's being hoarded by the 1%. They have so much now they could NEVER spend it all.
    is that why u do not like people who are wealthy
    You want to spread the wealth but not earn it

Mark Cuban did not make 39 an hour but he made it big

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, no . What did you expect him to say? I want my company's wage expenses to go up?

Basically, you found weak anecdotal evidence of hourly wage increases having negative side effects and you want to scrap it.... probably because Ted Cruz told you it was threatening your freedom.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    employee compensation up, stockholders/capitalists revenues down.

Thread Information