Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I assume the museum you're referring to is the one in Balboa Park, right? I'm going to SD in the next couple months for the 1st time so I'm definitely going to check that out.

I was reading some reviews about the zoo, and a lot of ppl picked the Safari Park over the zoo easily.
    Yeah, that's it. It's a pretty awesome place.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    It would probably be cool to check the Stone Brewery when in San Diego too. By far my favorite brewery in the world.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    It would probably be cool to check the Stone Brewery when in San Diego too. By far my favorite brewery in the world.
    Ballast Point, Alesmith, Alpine, Hess, so many there

silverblk mystix
    So in late November, December and early January I will be visiting the states for the first time and will be towing my wife along with me for 42 days. I'm not old at 28, so I'm looking for a pretty active experience while I'm there, I don't want to hike for a week or anything, but I don't want to spend my entire time shopping and eating.

I'm starting in Cali and need some advice and what might be good things to do or good destinations or places to visit. I know all the usuals like Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Fran, LA etc.. but are places like Santa Barbara, San Diego etc worth a visit? What is Yosemite like at that time of year? Lake Tahoe? What are the best things to do in LA? How long is to long in Vegas? My wife has been to LA before and didn't particularly like it but I know there must be loads to do... baseline bum I have seen you talk about California before and you seem to be a ing encyclopaedia. Any tips mate?

I want to make the pilgrimage to SA just for 1 or 2 nights to catch a Spurs game at home.. what else is there to do in or around SA? Is it best to fly there from Cali? We then want to go to New Orleans, Miami then Orlando etc and snake our way up the coast to New York for 10-12 days etc..

Basically, I guess I'm just asking how many nights I may need in various cities to get the most out of it, is there any places that I should definitely avoid, is there any hidden gems that I should definitely get to, what places you just maybe need a day in, what is it like driving through states etc or is it best to bus/train/fly (prefer not to fly everywhere)?

I want to catch NBA games as well along the way, obviously there is no schedule yet but the best place to get tickets at short notice would be where? I will book some, but I hope to buy some late in the piece so I can get some good prices

I know there are a lot of Spurs fans who have done the voyage many times RuffnReadyOzStyle alamo50 I would be interested in hearing your thoughts too along with everyone else.. I'm asking everyone I know because I'm not going to be able to get back to the USA for at least 4-5 years after this, so I wanna do it right..and I'm sure there is lots of knowledge here that can be shared.

Any help is much appreciated!

*** Yosemite roads will be closed - and/or treacherous at best in the dead of winter ***

1) S.Francisco - a few days and do the touristy things to make the wife happy....cable cars, shopping, fisherman's wharf,alcatrazz,etc...

2) Drive up north to the Avenue of the Giants...commune with nature...hike, picnic, ride bikes, become familiar with the deep forest....eat gourmet organic food...

3) A couple more days in frisco - check in to the Fairmont hotel and then the Mandarin Oriental and let the wife have a few spa days and keep her in tune. Shopping in Union Square and maybe the Musuem would be appropriate.

4) Drive south through Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel...and find lodging in Big Sur - a place that has to be experienced at a slow pace.
    If you have the balls - stay with the monks in a monastery - (New Camaldoli Hermitage) - where the only requirement is ---

SILENCE

If you want to experience something unique - stay there and STFU - and have the wife STFU - the rooms are cheap and must be reserved months in advance - they are sparse and rustic - and musical instruments, electronic devices, talking, singing, chanting (except with the monks in the chapel during a service) are strictly prohibited.
    You and your wife will discover a lot about yourselves and your marriage if you have the balls to do it.
    Best experience in your life - and best thing for a marriage - even a great marriage IMO.

You will never be the same.

Then - do the same as in the redwoods - hike, picnic, contemplate, commune with nature, etc....

Then go to Carmel and stroll through dark lamp lit streets after having a gourmet meal in a world class restaurant, watch the sunset from the beach where the whole town gathers and is silent as the sun disappears into the pacific ocean,
    Go to Monterey and eat great seafood and drive through 17 mile drive and see the victorian homes on the coast line.....golf in world famous Pebble Beach golf course and eat great food there too...
    Back to Big Sur and eat at Nepenthe Restaurant and then check in to the Post Ranch Inn - when you wake up - the pacific ocean is all you will see for miles and miles - from your bed.

#3) Drive south on the PCH - check out the Hearst Castle and/or take the tour if you are so inclined....

#4) Stay in Santa Barbara and party on State street just because...

#5) L.A. - would require another novel to give you a good itinerary...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Another tip : be white

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    At Santa Cruz, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium, then drive the 17-mile drive, esp late afternoon early evening.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    *** Yosemite roads will be closed - and/or treacherous at best in the dead of winter ***
    You're wrong. Tioga Pass Road and Glacier Point Road will likely be closed, and the short road to Mariposa Grove might be. The rest will be open. 120 all the way to Crane Flat will be open, and then it can be taken to the valley. 49 from the south end of the park to 120 will be open, and 140 from the west will be open. 49 is the most likely to require chains as it gets up to about 6000 feet in parts near the turnoff to Glacier Point Road. If you take the 140 even if the park is in a snowstorm, the worst case scenario is you park in El Portal and take the YARTS bus into the park. The 140 never gets higher than about 1900 feet in elevation until after El Portal and thus only closes if there is a rockslide.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...51845a886b17e4

120 is the most scenic road to take into the park from the West, so if it isn't snowing, that's the one I'd take. If it is snowing, take the 140. It probably won't be snowing in the valley though (it's at 4000 feet).
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-21-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The museum of science in Golden Gate Park in SF is ing gay. The only physics demonstration they have is a big Foucault pendulum. What a waste of a morning that place was.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.

silverblk mystix
    You're wrong. Tioga Pass Road and Glacier Point Road will likely be closed, and the short road to Mariposa Grove might be. The rest will be open. 120 all the way to Crane Flat will be open, and then it can be taken to the valley. 49 from the south end of the park to 120 will be open, and 140 from the west will be open. 49 is the most likely to require chains as it gets up to about 6000 feet in parts near the turnoff to Glacier Point Road. If you take the 140 even if the park is in a snowstorm, the worst case scenario is you park in El Portal and take the YARTS bus into the park. The 140 never gets higher than about 1900 feet in elevation until after El Portal and thus only closes if there is a rockslide.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...51845a886b17e4

120 is the most scenic road to take into the park from the West, so if it isn't snowing, that's the one I'd take. If it is snowing, take the 140. It probably won't be snowing in the valley though (it's at 4000 feet).

Good to know -

as for myself - if I have to jump through ^^^ all those hoops -

I would just go elsewhere and be safer.

ymmv

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn I forgot New Orleans.

I suggest skipping SA and seeing the Spurs play in another city like NOLA, imo.

It completely sucks that they no longer play downtown by the riverwalk.
    Lol, the At&t center is in such a hole part of town. Took my kid to wrestling the other night and was reminded of how bad it is.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Unless you have kids, don't go to Disneyland. Waste of money for a 28 year old couple. Go to Universal Studios instead imo

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Lol, the At&t center is in such a hole part of town. Took my kid to wrestling the other night and was reminded of how bad it is.
    I have a friend who lives right by St. Phillips over there and he tells me that he can literally walk to any street in his vicinity and find someone selling crack on it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a friend who lives right by St. Phillips over there and he tells me that he can literally walk to any street in his vicinity and find someone selling crack on it
    , I'm sure the parking attendants at the private lots across the street sell crack too tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Unless you have kids, don't go to Disneyland. Waste of money for a 28 year old couple. Go to Universal Studios instead imo
    I personally like Magic Mountain for LA area theme parks. The only better park I have found for good roller coasters is Cedar Point up in Sandusky, Ohio.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You and your wife are going to get fat(ter?) tbh.
    Oh we are expecting that. My wife is only 110lbs (dat ass tho) and we watch what we eat quite closely, but this holiday is going to have a big emphasis on eating like fatties

MI21, I've taken the trouble of drafting the first day's itinerary during your stay in San Antonio:

8:00 - Wake up, get breakfast.

9:00 - light snack

10:00 - See Alamo

11:00 - eat

Noon - eat

1:00 - eat

2:00 - eat

3:00 - eat

4:00 - eat

5:00 - eat

6:00 - dinner by the Riverwalk

7:30 - Spurs game. halftime and quarter breaks: eat

10:00 - leave
    Seems like the common train of thought in regards to SA, there really is nothing to do except the Spurs and the Alamo huh?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    baseline bum thank you for all the info, will definitely be taking all that into account when we finalise our Cali plans.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not planning a lot of shopping, but best places for shopping in the states?

Obviously there is the high-end parts in LA and NYC, but where else? Vegas outlets I've heard good things about..

What do people think of Tijuana? Worth a day?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't leave Cali without trying In-N-Out. San Diego is a pretty great couples city and nearby Temecula has some good wineries if you and the wife are into that. Pretty much whatever you guys are into, Southern California can accommodate.

Have fun brah tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Obviously there is the high-end parts in LA and NYC, but where else? Vegas outlets I've heard good things about..

No.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

no, in fact stay clear of all the border towns no matter which US state you are in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I had two cops arrest me for walking down the street, plant drugs on me, demand a $150 bribe, and then drive me around the city for an hour handcuffed to some gangbanger to scare me when I wouldn't pay it. that place.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-24-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I had two cops arrest me for walking down the street, plant drugs on me, demand a $150 bribe, and then drive me around the city for an hour handcuffed to some gangbanger to scare me when I wouldn't pay it. that place.
    Not surprised.
    Most are on the take from the drug cartels IMHO, and it's the tourist who gets caught in the crossfires these days, not even Progresso is safe anymore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Not surprised.
    Most are on the take from the drug cartels IMHO, and it's the tourist who gets caught in the crossfires these days, not even Progresso is safe anymore.
    I still remember the stupid the gangbanger I was handcuffed to said (in perfect English lol): ju dont get no phone call ere, ju jus get a kick in the culo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't leave Cali without trying In-N-Out. San Diego is a pretty great couples city and nearby Temecula has some good wineries if you and the wife are into that. Pretty much whatever you guys are into, Southern California can accommodate.

Have fun brah tbh.
    Good to know. I can't wait to try all the filthy looking fast food that I see advertised during and between NBA games. San Diego is definitely moving up the list from what people are saying as well. I've heard California is like a country in it's own right, so we want to make sure we take it all in.

no, in fact stay clear of all the border towns no matter which US state you are in.
    Sounds fun. Most people I've spoken to have a similar viewpoint, drink some tequila, take a photo with a donkey painted like a zebra and that's about it? Tijuana is definitely sliding down my list of places to go, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sounds fun. Most people I've spoken to have a similar viewpoint, drink some tequila, take a photo with a donkey painted like a zebra and that's about it? Tijuana is definitely sliding down my list of places to go, tbh.
    Good strip clubs though. An hour before that arrest I was at this strip club watching the lesbian show and they pulled some goofy 40 year old high school teacher looking mother er on stage and he was excited like he was gonna get this great lapdance, but instead the s kept trying to stick a beer bottle up his ass.

Thread Information