My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    asian pitchers going down faster than black PGs
    In another 10 years there wont be any American blacks in baseball....They don't play baseball anymore......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another classy Yankee fan....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derek Jeter moves into sixth place on all-time hits list......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would you take: Jeter or Ichiro prime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would you take: Jeter or Ichiro prime?
    I think Ichiro took a lot of heat in Seattle for being kind of a and wasn't much of a leader..

So Jeter..

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    We can close this thread.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    2004 Ichiro was better than Jeter in any season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In another 10 years there wont be any American blacks in baseball....They don't play baseball anymore......
    That is a damn shame then because they produced some of the best talent the game has ever seen on any end of the spectrum. If that part is true then damn........ Willie Mays, Hank and the other legends! Joe Morgan and on and on, wonder why the don't play baseball anymore? I noticed less and less though as time went on, in the 80's you had Darryl, Doc Gooden, Joe Carter, Puckett, Eric Davis, Fred Mcgriff and the list goes on and on and on, very talented athletes.

Griffey came later, the Big HURT! Legends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2004 Ichiro was better than Jeter in any season.
    Prime vs Prime I bet more GM's take Jeter..

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Prime vs Prime I bet more GM's take Jeter..
    GM's that don't care for advanced metrics, perhaps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GM's that don't care for advanced metrics, perhaps.
    Numbers that probably would have called Pete Rose a role player..

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Of course he gets a meatball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course he gets a meatball.
    Orioles needed to win out for home field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scripted

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Congratulations to the most overrated ty defensive player of all time not named Kobe Bryant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    feel sorry for some of you guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was classic, what a way to go out.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Orioles needed to win out for home field.
    Orioles needed to win out and Angels lose out. Highly unlikely. If the Orioles had any designs on the best AL record, why would Showalter rest Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, JJ Hardy, and Steve Pearce all multiple games since securing the AL East? Heck, they lost 3 of their next 5 games after winning the division. Those are not signs of a team going balls out to get home field.

More telling last night are the relief pitchers Showalter used late in the game. Joe Saunders came into the game with a 7.02 ERA. He pitched the 8th. And once the Orioles tied up the game, did Showalter go to one of his main late innings guys as he would in almost any other situation, like Tommy Hunter or Darren O'Day? Nope. He went to Evan Meek, he of the 5.48 ERA and 1.52 WHIP copper standard. Come on. If you can't read between the lines, then there's something wrong with you. Did Buck tell Meek to throw Jeter a meatball? I'm sure he didn't. But did Showalter give his Orioles the best chance to win the game? Not even close. Scripted might be too strong a word, but even the Orioles seemed to want to play along and have cameo credits in this play. It was a meaningless game for the Orioles. Jeter's first major league manager threw him a bone. Jeter still had to catch the bone, which he did. But still a bone.

Derek Jeter was a really good hitter for much of his career. He was an average to well below average fielding shortstop for much of his career. He's had great moments on the field with the bloody face, in the post season with the flip assist, and with record moments like hitting a HR for his 3000th hit. A relatively squeaky clean image other than the perception of being a womanizer, which most fans have no problem with. He did it in New York with the New York Yankees in a heartless but mecca like town and was part of a lot of winning and multiple championships. But he wasn't as great as ESPN and some knobpolishers are making him out to be. A lot of his hype has to do with the fact that he played for the Yankees. A lot of the hype has to do with being part of so many winning teams, not unlike a James Worthy, where being a part of a lot of championships can pump up a player's legacy. Derek Jeter was a great player, but never one of the best players in the game. And even arguably never the best player on his teams. The one World Series MVP helps I guess. He is going to be the first unanimous first ballot Hall of Famer not because he was that great, but because he did it for the Yankees and did it in a "classy" way during much of the steroids era while not being attached to any of those PED rumors. Heck, his list of famous girlfriends probably helps his cause as much as his actual career statistics.

If Derek Jeter did not play for the Yankees, he'd basically be Paul Molitor. Still a Hall of Fame caliber player, but nowhere near the pomp and cir stance he's getting right now.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    A relatively squeaky clean image other than the perception of being a womanizer, which most fans have no problem with.
    To be fair he womanized the right way. Didn't get married young, didn't cheat, kept it relatively under wraps, didn't get in any embarrassing situations.

As a player he was good but yeah, a little overrated. Of the Big Three AL shortstops of the '90s I'd put him behind both A-Rod and Nomar. People forget how good Nomar was in his too-short prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense because even if they put in the worst relievers in history there's no way they could have ensured Jeter would have been the guy that had gotten the game winning hit or that Jones and that the other guy would have homered in the ninth.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Makes no sense because even if they put in the worst relievers in history there's no way they could have ensured Jeter would have been the guy that had gotten the game winning hit or that Jones and that the other guy would have homered in the ninth.
    For the record, I don't think the "entire" thing was staged. The point about the relievers Showalter used was to counter your suggestion that Baltimore was trying to win out to get the best record in the AL. They clearly were not going balls out to get the best record. Again, they wouldn't have been resting their best players multiple games since winning the AL East had they been trying to catch the Angels for the best record.

I don't think Robertson was trying to give the game away when the Yankees already had the game in hand.

But once the situation presented itself to have Jeter be the hero in the bottom of the 9th, the Orioles played along with the script. Why would Showalter use those relievers? And with Meek being more of a groundball pitcher throughout his career and Brian McCann leading the Yankees in grounding into double plays, doesn't common baseball sense dictate they walk Jeter to play for the double play with only one out? Showalter would have been assassinated if he intentionally walked Jeter. Then why not use Tommy Hunter? It was all too convenient.

The whole thing wasn't scripted. But Showalter and the Orioles didn't mind what was transpiring in the bottom of the 9th. It was a meaningless game for both teams, other than the whole theater of being Jeter's last home game. All too convenient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    class

Thread Information