Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ***I could care less about losing to the Thunder tonight. In fact, I kind of expected us to lose, and I'm glad we did because that takes the pressure and media spotlight off of us (I also believe is glad the streak is over). So what I'm saying is that this thread is not some gut reaction to the Thunder game.

Our bench is kinda thin. Think about it. Who are our solid bench players, and what are their positions? We are thin; most notably in the department of SF, PF, and C. We are actually doing just fine at PG and SG. Please note that I'm focusing on our players who will likely be playing non-garbage minutes come playoff time.

PG? Come we will probably have one of Tony, Patty, or Manu on the court at all times.
    SG? Green, Marco, Manu, and even Mills will distribute the minutes at SG.

So yeah, our guards situation is not the problem. What is our depth issue then? Everything else.

SF? Kawhi. He's our only true SF who we have to cover this spot. Now, we have Green and Diaw to fill in as relievers to Kawhi as needed, but to be honest I've never felt fully confident with either of them taking care of the backup SF position.

I'm going to combine PF/C: We've got ourselves Timmy, Splitter, and Diaw. That is all. Two of these three (I hope you can figure out which ones) are players that seem to have to really high moments of dominating games, but then they also have their moments of being absolutely useless telephone poles on the court. Yes, Diaw and Splitter concern me as our only other bigs that will be stepping in for Timmy when the playoffs roll around.

What about Ayres, Baynes, Daye, Joseph, Bonner, and whatever 15th player we have on the roster come playoffs? I will be shocked if any of them get any meaningful or legitimate PT in the postseason. And honestly, good riddance.

Our backup SF and PF/C situations may become glaring holes in the playoffs. I have heard a lot of people talking this season about how stacked the Spurs are this season, but are they really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You probably are the only one tbqh. Spurs bring Manu, Beli, Patty, and Diaw/Splitter off the bench to play major minutes, and that's one stacked squad. Yeah, I could do without Ayres, but it's still solid as benches go tbqh.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You probably are the only one tbqh. Spurs bring Manu, Beli, Patty, and Diaw/Splitter off the bench to play major minutes, and that's one stacked squad. Yeah, I could do without Ayres, but it's still solid as benches go tbqh.
    I'm not a big fan of 2 out of the 3 of Duncan, Diaw, and Splitter being on the floor at all times. Factoring Ayres and/or Baynes into the equation doesn't help at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but they operate as a unit. If we are missing anyone (tonight: Manu) then the whole unit can be exposed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is not just about the bench its more about who gets PT being the best matchup against our opponents for example Bonbon was really useful against the Lakers and nothing else it all depends on Pop for example tonight since Tiago and TP were sucking he could replace them and he did it but it was a little late.
    I dont know if Popīs guys are watching videos where OKC is bending over for other teams to find some answers.
    Last edited by Mikeanaro; 04-04-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but they operate as a unit. If we are missing anyone (tonight: Manu) then the whole unit can be exposed.
    I honestly didn't expect us to win tonight. One of those reasons was that Manu was out. The other obviously was the back-to-back and it being something like the 5th game in 7 days.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have a very consistently strong contribution from our bench. So, no. I disagree with your comment that the Spurs' bench is thin. Could we be stronger at the backup 4/5? Sure. Should we have another true small forward on the roster other than Kawhi? Yes. But that doesn't mean our bench is thin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we are a very deep team, just not as deep as last year or the year before. Our starters however are significantly better so i am confident. Manu also looks dominant and the team can adapt to any matchup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our bench is great but we just struggle at times with uber-athletic teams. It's our kryptonite. We can overcome it but it'll be tough and that's without the Thunder getting extra-benefit from the refs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have the highest scoring bench in the NBA. with mills, marco, manu, and diaw the bench is plenty stacked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh the reason the Spurs lost tonight wasn't because Manu wasn't on the floor, but rather because Pop didn't want to show off his secret weapon - Aaron Baynes. Other posters have said that Jeff Ayers would be the first one to commit a hard or flagrant foul on someone, but I have my money on Baynes. That guy plays with way more intensity than Ayers and I bet if Kendrick Perkins pulled what he did to Duncan to Baynes, he would get knocked out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bench isn't weak or anything. Boris, Marco, Manu, and Patty all bring a Playmaking/Shooting/Defense/Post presence not just any team has on the bench. I think they just played poorly last night.

But if Boris can hit the three more efficiently, holy crap the Spurs would be so much better.

Marco played alright tonight. I feel it's just a case of him missing shots, but it's not like he couldn't find an open look. If the role players can hit the three, OKC's defense would ideally become more scattered.

The biggest key to beating the Thunder is that the role players NEED to hit their threes. I'm talking Danny, Boris, Marco, Patty, even Kawhi. When they shrink, the Spurs rely too much on the Big 3. When that happens, you realize just how old these guys are lol.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The bench isn't thin. It's just highly dependent on one player to make them effective.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bench is actually quite solid but it was still a re ed decision on the front office's part to spend a combined 6 million on Ayres/Bonner

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC's defense was the Spurs' biggest problem. They played the Spurs very close, esp on the perimeter. So many times on the perimeter a Spur would pick up his dribble then, bent over backwards, ball of his head, have a of a time trying to find somebody open. "beautiful to watch" didn't apply to Spurs offense.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Our bench is as deep as it gets. If the Spurs have a thin bench, what does Indiana have?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC's defense was the Spurs' biggest problem. They played the Spurs very close, esp on the perimeter. So many times on the perimeter a Spur would pick up his dribble then, bent over backwards, ball of his head, have a of a time trying to find somebody open. "beautiful to watch" didn't apply to Spurs offense.
    That's the key to good defense. Disrupting the other team's offensive flow. That's really the key to beating the Spurs.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our Bench is one of the deepest ever. I can't think of a time when
    we had such good backups. Our bench could be in the playoffs in the
    eastern conference .

Duncan>Ginobili>Rodman SpurSpurSpurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. However, our lack of defense from the 2nd unit is worrying me. Regular season is nothing, Playoff wins are the important ones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our Bench is one of the deepest ever. I can't think of a time when
    we had such good backups. Our bench could be in the playoffs in the
    eastern conference .
    lol, patty, manu, marco, diaw, baynes ain't coming anywhere close to the play offs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need T-Mac.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, patty, manu, marco, diaw, baynes ain't coming anywhere close to the play offs
    You haven't seen some of the teams out east apparently.

Thread Information