Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I don't like dirty Harry anymore than anybody else, but you don't stop paying what you owe because you feel you're not getting your money's worth.

Under that rationale, pretty much everybody not named boutons would stop paying their federal taxes.

How long he owned the land is irrelevant. If he owes, then it's only a matter of time until a court issues an order and they come to collect.

What this guy needs aren't cowboys, but a solid attorney to try to minimize the damage.
    So gov pointing sniper rifles at his family was the correct reaction to this?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I don't like dirty Harry anymore than anybody else, but you don't stop paying what you owe because you feel you're not getting your money's worth.

Under that rationale, pretty much everybody not named boutons would stop paying their federal taxes.

How long he owned the land is irrelevant. If he owes, then it's only a matter of time until a court issues an order and they come to collect.

What this guy needs aren't cowboys, but a solid attorney to try to minimize the damage.
    I also believe he offered to pay the back fines but the refused to accept. This isn't about fines, this isn't about a tortoise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So gov pointing sniper rifles at his family was the correct reaction to this?
    The solution to this was for this guy to either pay the fee or show up in court when summoned. He apparently did not do either.

People get full-blown SWAT teams in their front doors these days from the local police. Now, you could agree or disagree that's ok or not, but I don't think I would describe it as new or surprising.

This is obviously a guy that's on a defiant stance with the federal government, so I'm not surprised the police went well prepared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also believe he offered to pay the back fines but the refused to accept. This isn't about fines, this isn't about a tortoise.
    I haven't seen much of any details about the actual legal aspects of this case. Perhaps we need to read up a bit more on how a court issued an order for this...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get it... the story in the OP says the dude owes like $1m in fees, while he doesn't seem to recognize the federal government authority to collect those fees...

How's that not a recipe for disaster?
    That's my take and he is in contempt of multiple federal court orders. This is not some guy getting jobbed ID for transcanda. He was using federal lands without a lease and refuses to recognize the authority of the federal government.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said paying fines was not a problem. He just said he would not deal with the federal government and only Nevada.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “This is a lot bigger deal than just my cows,” Bundy told FoxNews.com. “It’s a statement for freedom and liberty and the Cons ution.”

The fight involves a 600,000-acre area under BLM control called Gold Butte, near the Utah border. The vast and rugged land is the habitat of the protected desert tortoise, and ranchers whose cattloe graze there must pay fees. Bundy, a descendant of Mormons who settled in Bunkerville more than 140 years ago, claims an inherent right to graze the area and casts the conflict as a states' rights issue. He said he doesn't recognize federal authority on land that he insists belongs to Nevada.

BLM spokeswoman Kirsten Cannon said agents on Saturday and Sunday rounded up 134 of an estimated 900 trespassing cattle in a vast 1,200-square-mile area of rangeland northeast of Las Vegas and the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Cannon said the roundup was a last resort and blamed Cliven Bundy for "inflammatory statements," including vows to fight and characterizations of the cow removal as a range war.

"Mr. Bundy has been in trespass on public lands for more than 20 years," Cannon said, adding that he owes the federal government some $1.1 million in unpaid grazing fees.

The bureau last week announced the area would be closed through May 12 while contractors conduct the roundup using helicopters, vehicles and temporary pens. Cannon said the agency paid the contractors $966,000.

Bundy's son, Dave Bundy, 37, was arrested Sunday for refusing to disperse as the roundup began, but freed the next day.

Federal officials tried to round up Bundy's livestock two years ago, but he refused to budge.

Since then, he has lost two federal court rulings — and a judge last October prohibited him from physically interfering with any seizure or roundup operation.

Federal officials said BLM enforcement agents were dispatched in response to statements Bundy made that the agency perceived as threats.

“When threats are made that could jeopardize the safety of the American people, the contractors and our personnel; we have the responsibility to provide law enforcement to account for their safety,” National Park Service spokeswoman Christie Vanover told reporters Sunday.

The trouble started when Bundy stopped paying grazing fees in 1993. He said he didn't have to because his Mormon ancestors worked the land since the 1880s, giving him rights to the land.

“We own this land,” he said, not the feds. He said he is willing to pay grazing fees but only to Clark County, not BLM.

“Years ago, I used to have 52 neighboring ranchers,” he said. “I’m the last man standing. How come? Because BLM regulated these people off the land and out of business.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...-cliven-bundy/

I picked Fox as the source for credibility for the right wing locals here. Rancher is ed and has no leg to stand on.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

I picked Fox as the source for credibility for the right wing locals here. Rancher is ed and has no leg to stand on.
    Why no comment on Reid?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fence?

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Somebody needs to hang Harry Reid already the little weasel bas .
    I don't even know who the Harry Reid is tbh, never heard of that damn name.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why no comment on Reid?
    Am I supposed to get up in arms because he is using a chinese manufacturer? I posted a Fox News article. Write them if it bothers you they don't mention him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

I still think an armed response is ill advised. Potentially killing people over ing cow grazing is, at best, bat- crazy. The rancher is not hitting on all cylinders. If a party needs to act responsibly in this situation, the BLM needs to take the lead and de-escalate. Now.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think an armed response is ill advised. Potentially killing people over ing cow grazing is, at best, bat- crazy. The rancher is not hitting on all cylinders. If a party needs to act responsibly in this situation, the BLM needs to take the lead and de-escalate. Now.
    What should their response be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the guy is saying things that indicate that he is willing to use armed force then what other response is there? They went out there twice and the rancher physically intervened despite a court order. The federal judge should hold him in contempt and criminalize his disregard for rule of law.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What should their response be?
    I'd lean on the Governor to intervene. As stated upstrean, the rancher at least recognizes the state's authority.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Am I supposed to get up in arms because he is using a chinese manufacturer? I posted a Fox News article. Write them if it bothers you they don't mention him.
    I wasn't talking about the Fox News article you posted.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    If the guy is saying things that indicate that he is willing to use armed force then what other response is there? They went out there twice and the rancher physically intervened despite a court order. The federal judge should hold him in contempt and criminalize his disregard for rule of law.
    There has still been no proof of him making any threats other than gov saying so correct?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ultimately, that's how this will play out. A cost/benefit analysis of armed conflict should tell anyone with a room temperature IQ to keep looking for a solution. Again, it's ing grazing....not Iraq.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd lean on the Governor to intervene. As stated upstrean, the rancher at least recognizes the state's authority.
    Why would the state do anything? They're not getting the cattle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ultimately, that's how this will play out. A cost/benefit analysis of armed conflict should tell anyone with a room temperature IQ to keep looking for a solution. Again, it's ing grazing....not Iraq.
    If it's not his land and he owes $1 million, what kind of precedent does that set if the BLM lets themselves get bullied by this guy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has still been no proof of him making any threats other than gov saying so correct?
    Thanks Alex. Is the guy denying he made threats or you just utilizing wishful thinking?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Why would the state do anything? They're not getting the cattle.
    Obstensibly, to keep the body count at zero.
    Last edited by TeyshaBlue; 04-11-2014 at 09:29 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If it's not his land and he owes $1 million, what kind of precedent does that set if the BLM lets themselves get bullied by this guy?
    The armed response precedent seems to be lost on you. That's the precedent you should be examining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is the one provoking the response. The BML is following a court order and he is physically intervening and threatening agents. He outright says the feds do not have authority. It is what it is.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Thanks Alex. Is the guy denying he made threats or you just utilizing wishful thinking?
    Link to threats requiring snipers please.

Thread Information