Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Austin American-Statesman is reporting that Gov. Rick Perry has hired a defense lawyer to represent him in an ongoing investigation into his veto of funding for the Public Integrity Unit housed in the Travis County DA's office.

"The hiring of David L. Botsford is the latest signal that the inquiry into Perry’s conduct might be gaining momentum after a seven-month investigation," wrote the Statesman's Tony Plohetski. A grand jury that could hear the case is expected to be chosen on Monday.

On Monday, a grand jury is expected to be seated to investigate Governor Rick Perry. At issue: his making good on a threat to veto public funds for a county-level office because the official in charge did not heed Perry's demand for a resignation.

The Austin American Statesman called the move "political blackmail," and investigators may be in agreement.

Specifically, Gov. Perry called for the resignation of Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg, stating that if she did not step down he would veto $7.5 million in state funds for the DA's Public Integrity Unit, which is charged with policing ethics of legislators and other state officeholders.

Lehmberg refused, and Gov. Perry made good on the veto.

Not coincidentally, the PIU was actively investigating donors associated with the officials overseeing one of Gov. Perry's signature projects, the Cancer Prevention Research Ins ute of Texas (CPRIT).

Attorney General Greg Abbott was among those charged with providing oversight to the cancer research en y, but that wasn't enough to prevent a felony indictment of a high-ranking CPRIT official.

Had Lehmberg resigned, it would have conveniently been up to the Governor to appoint her replacement.

This veto appears to be a thinly-veiled attempt to let both Rick Perry and Greg Abbott off the hook for corruption that took place on their watch. From an editorial in today's Statesman:

In a recent joint interview with Tony Plohetski and KVUE, the special prosecutor assigned to the investigation, Michael McCrum, stopped short of saying he thinks a crime was committed but made it very clear that Perry’s actions in the case give reason to doubt.

“I cannot elaborate on what exactly is concerning me, but I can tell you I am very concerned about certain aspects of what happened here,” said McCrum, a San Antonio attorney. He confirmed that the investigation was taking a close look at both Perry’s threat and the veto he carried out. Asked if his concerns pointed specifically at Perry or his staff, McCrum said, “Yes.”

We support the seriousness with which McCrum appears to have taken the investigation.

Texas government is no stranger to corruption under the Perry/Abbott regime. Now it's gone so far that Perry, without shame, offers to pay another one for an official action in return for a benefit to himself. Texans have had enough.

http://progresstexas.org/blog/rick-p....4Rl6vB6R.dpuf

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perry Lawyers Up in Veto Threat Probe

"The hiring of David L. Botsford is the latest signal that the inquiry into Perry’s conduct might be gaining momentum after a seven-month investigation," wrote theStatesman's Tony Plohetski. A grand jury that could hear the case is expected to be chosen on Monday.

Botsford, Plohetski reported, is a well-known criminal defense lawyer who specializes in white-collar defendants and was president of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association in the 1990s.

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/04/14/brief/

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope that asswipe gets what he deserves in court after all the people he has blackmailed

he had good people in high places removed simply because they didn't agree with him on some issues or they pissed him off before/during his office.

the guy is a caricature of himself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America’s Worst Pundit Hypes America’s Worst Presidential Candidate

chronically wrong pundit Morris is predicting that Texas governor Rick Perry has the inside track for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination.

"What does this predict for 2016? Of the defeated candidates left over from 2012, Santorum is probably too focused on social issues to win. Cain and Bachmann can be dismissed as flashes in the pan, and the problems that knocked them out of contention have not gone away. Romney probably won’t get a third chance. Even Nixon only got two. Newt inflicted too many wounds on others and on himself.

That leaves Rick Perry. Acceptable to Latinos based on his Texas record. Draws strong Tea Party support without being defined by it. A Southerner, he is clearly ready to play on the national stage. A big state governor whose record on jobs has only gotten better. He can’t be dismissed.

Will his debate brainlock disqualify him? Not if he doesn’t repeat it. Clinton recovered from a disastrous 1988 Convention speech. He’s probably had enough time to recover from his dismissal of Social Security as a “Ponzi scheme” in his book.

The Republican voters are agoraphobic, fearful of new situations and people. It takes them a while to get used to new candidates and those who have run once and learned their lessons have great appeal. So keep your eye on Perry."

Of course, if past is prologue, then Morris’ endorsement is the worst thing to happen to Rick Perry’s presidential hopes since the word “oops.” After all, Morris isn’t just bad at predicting elections — he’s quite possibly the worst pundit in the history of political gasbaggery.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/americas...ial-candidate/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gov. Rick Perry asks to enter grand jury courtroom through back door

In advance of Gov. Rick Perry’s likely appearance before a grand jury investigating possibly criminal charges against him, the governor has asked about entering the courthouse through a back entrance, out of sight of the public and reporters.

In an ironic twist to an unusual case, the only way other than through public entrances to access the grand jury courtroom is through Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg’s office.
    More at http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...popular_bottom (subscription required).

...backdoor Perry...I like that....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RickyBobby, just another outstanding, 100% electable Repug wannabe Pres.

all y'all Texas redneck Christian voters, y'all rilly got some mighty fine pollytishuns, might fine, yessirree. thank yew, thank yew, thank yew.

Thread Information