Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    H-Town has WAY better night life and a lot more going on. I grew up in S.A. though, and it's a great place to grow up, but not a great place to stay if you're a young adult and want to party.

Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah, cheap es = great nightlife
    what happened to your avi rogue ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Philadelphia 76ers
    what happened to your avi rogue ?
    That account got banned, I think, and it's also time to put an end to that shtick. Scarlett was God's gift back in the early 2000s and late 1990s but the current one, which's almost 30yrs old and expected to become a mom later this year, is plain and average, and is certainly too old now to arouse my interest. You can still reminisce about the young Scarlett in your memory though.

Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That account got banned, I think, and it's also time to put an end to that shtick. Scarlett was God's gift back in the early 2000s and late 1990s but the current one, which's almost 30yrs old and expected to become a mom later this year, is plain and average, and is certainly too old now to arouse my interest. You can still reminisce about the young Scarlett in your memory though.
    lol its not banned according to what I see. Keep up the good posting though

I'm still a big scarlett fan...have to wait until that parasite pops out and then I'll retire the avi tbh.

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you move to NW, move to the heights area or Jersey Village. Traffic is horrible if you don't have an EZ tag. Cypress is ok, but lots of blacks are starting to move out that way. So I'd say stick around the Heights.
    So I've lived in London for the last year, but was 10 years in Houston before that. I always thought growing up in SA that Houston was a bad place. But outside of the touristy stuff, SA is a bit slow and sleepy. Great place to raise a family, but so is Houston. Better wages, better housing market, about the same weather from a heat/humidity perspective. Better shopping, museums, theaters and concert venues. All three major pro teams (Rockets still suck but could go see other teams play), a couple of college programs. An airport with direct flights to most parts of the world, instead of having to connect. Galveston will never be confused with South Beach, but it's a of a lot better than the landfill of Corpus Christi. I love SA and it will always be home, but when we move back to the States at some point, it will be to Houston.

And as far as Cypress is concerned, we probably differ on where Cypress is located. If you are talking the Hwy 6/FM1960 corridor, then you would be correct. While that is CFISD, the Cypress Post Office and Top Park are in the Spring Cypress/Cypress-Rosehill/Fry Road area. Go take a look at the kids coming out of Cy-Ranch, Cy-Wood and Cy-Fair high schools and it is pretty WASPy. I lived in Bridgeland and my son graduated last year from Cy-Ranch, so I saw it up close. It may not be The Woodlands or Sugarland on the Aryan Nation Index, but it isn't anything close to what you described.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wow ^ awful advice IMO.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not really advice, though. Just relaying personal experience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Minnesota Golden Gophers
    If you like gangs and strip clubs than Houston's the place for you.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    No way Houston and San Antonio are the same weatherwise. San Antonio may be about a 9 out of 10 on the weather suck scale for summer, but Houston's a 12.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^You might as well live in Louisiana.

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wow ^ awful advice IMO.
    Care to expound? Or are we just trading personal opinion here?

I grew up in the Military/Marbach area, and even back in the 80's it was old and run down. I moved back after college but after a few years started moving around for work. I haven't lived there in 15 years. I moved to Houston in 2003 when my kids were 8 and 4. This is where they were raised, and while I know that a lot has changed and improved in SA since I moved away, I am challenged to find the quality of life they sacrificed by growing up in Cypress as opposed to San Antonio.

What I do know is that working in the Oil & Gas industry, there is no way I can make the money I make and live in SA. The wages simply can't compete. The better wage scale combined with a long running buyers market in real estate gave me a much better home for my dollar than what I would get in SA. My kids went to good schools. We could drive to the Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham faster than we could drive to downtown Houston. Living in "Houston" doesn't mean Pasadena anymore than living in "San Antonio" means South Zarzamora. One does not have to hate the one to love the other. In the end, it's all Texas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No way Houston and San Antonio are the same weatherwise. San Antonio may be about a 9 out of 10 on the weather suck scale for summer, but Houston's a 12.
    At some point, miserable ceases to have a scale. But "it sucks a little bit less" isn't bragging rights.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    all depends what side of town you are considering.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Houston has tons of to do. It's humid as and the traffic sucks. But I lived there for eight years. Great restaurants, all sports, museums, touring bands, etc. I was young and single so it was ing great. Don't know why the OP is asking about the NW side, though. Never went to that area or many of the far burbs. I lived near Sheperd area between 59 and Richmond not far from the 59 Diner. Pretty cool area. If I had to commute far in Houston it would drive me nuts. As for Galveston, it's a quick beach fix. It's apples and oranges with Corpus. The thing about Corpus is that you have Padre Island National Seashore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Houston has tons of to do. It's humid as and the traffic sucks. But I lived there for eight years. Great restaurants, all sports, museums, touring bands, etc. I was young and single so it was ing great. Don't know why the OP is asking about the NW side, though. Never went to that area or many of the far burbs. I lived near Sheperd area between 59 and Richmond not far from the 59 Diner. Pretty cool area. If I had to commute far in Houston it would drive me nuts. As for Galveston, it's a quick beach fix. It's apples and oranges with Corpus. The thing about Corpus is that you have Padre Island National Seashore.
    Maybe I am a bit biased from all the years of driving to San Antonio, having to come in on the East side then out Hwy 90 to my folks place. Don't see any decent side of SA. Come to Houston from SA and you're hitting Katy, Memorial, Galleria, Heights, etc. You don't even have to go anywhere near the refineries or the Third Ward or the barrios.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Maybe I am a bit biased from all the years of driving to San Antonio, having to come in on the East side then out Hwy 90 to my folks place. Don't see any decent side of SA. Come to Houston from SA and you're hitting Katy, Memorial, Galleria, Heights, etc. You don't even have to go anywhere near the refineries or the Third Ward or the barrios.
    Nowhere near as bad as coming into Houston's east side from Beaumont. Plus I grew up around I35/90 in SA so I10/90 is like home to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nowhere near as bad as coming into Houston's east side from Beaumont. Plus I grew up around I35/90 in SA so I10/90 is like home to me.
    Exactly my point. If you come from SA to Houston, you see all the good things and avoid all the bad areas, unless you are specifically going to those bad areas. It makes me laugh sometimes when my friends back in SA start with the whole Traffic/Gangs schtick. Like they are forced to drive only at rush hour and the only place they go is the Third Ward.

Oh, I don't have any issues with driving I10/90 because it's what I knew about SA growing up. I lived by John Jay and dated a girl that went to Harlendale, so I know Hwy 90. I was just stating that since my parents still live over in the same area where I grew up, I drive through the parts of town that haven't changed in 30 years. I never get to see all the new development that is happening on the far North side. Heck, I was away at college the year before Sea World opened and it's practically in my parents back yard now.

Name
    Two10Whitey
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I visited H-Town two times within the past two years and had a blast. The first time I went, downtown had a bad ass UFC tail gate party before the fights, a huge Korean festival a few blocks away, and a pretty cool art show at a nearby museum. That same day, SA was having a gun rally for pissed off gun owners who think somebody wants to take their precious guns away...

Not to mention, Galleria>Northstar AND Ingram, wide variety of food, and you can still see the Spurs twice a year. However, I did not experience Houston during the middle of summer, I didn't drive through 3rd ward, and traffic is pretty crazy during rush hour.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I visited H-Town two times within the past two years and had a blast. The first time I went, downtown had a bad ass UFC tail gate party before the fights, a huge Korean festival a few blocks away, and a pretty cool art show at a nearby museum. That same day, SA was having a gun rally for pissed off gun owners who think somebody wants to take their precious guns away...
    LOL, Houston was where the NRA had its national rally for 2013.

Name
    Two10Whitey
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL, Houston was where the NRA had its national rally for 2013.
    Still.. Houston normally has more to do than in SA.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I lived in Houston when I was a young adult with no kids and it was a great place to be. I lived close to work to avoid the crazy traffic, and the museums were great! I really did not think the weather was all that different than living in SA- hot and humid.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The humidity, smog, drivers, & mosquitoes are actually lovely this time of year.
    This is true, can't argue with this fact.
    Terrible traffic, offensive drivers, rude people for the most part, and overcrowding.
    What else do you want? The occasional really bad hurricanes should be added too.
    Someone said Mexicans, but the Mexican food sucks there too.
    The only thing going for Houston is that it is in Texas.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    apparently houston is in the midst of an urban renewal (gentrification, all the whites booting the inner city blacks out, etc etc)

LOL at saying galveston is better than corpus

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is true, can't argue with this fact.
    Terrible traffic, offensive drivers, rude people for the most part, and overcrowding.
    What else do you want? The occasional really bad hurricanes should be added too.
    Someone said Mexicans, but the Mexican food sucks there too.
    The only thing going for Houston is that it is in Texas.
    Interesting you say rude people for the most part. My wife and daughter are back in Houston/SA right now because it is Spring Break in England. She said she was so happy to be back in Houston and have people smile at her as she walked by, have cashiers make conversation, drivers wave, etc. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. They got to SA yesterday so I'll ask her about it there as well.

One does not have to show one town as the cancer of our country in order to love the other. I think some people here are letting their sports loyalties play a bias on the real world.

From the outside, other people see both SA and Houston as hot/humid with lots of fat Mexicans. SA has the military. Houston has the oil. That's the reality.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    apparently houston is in the midst of an urban renewal (gentrification, all the whites booting the inner city blacks out, etc etc)

LOL at saying galveston is better than corpus
    I would say that Washington and The Heights are the two areas that have been turned over the most in the last five years. Not really "inner city" areas other than they are inside the Loop on the Katy Freeway corridor and not considered "black" areas of town. The true "inner city" areas like the Third Ward and out by Sharpstown are happily keeping their street cred.

Do you really think Sheila Jackson Lee's weave would allow gentrification to happen without giving 74 press conferences about it?

Thread Information