Lets say you are the Texans and you want Clowney.
    But you know other teams want Johny-Bortles. Like the Browns.
    So you cut a deal, hey we Houston will take Johny/B with the #1. You, Browns will take Clowney at #4.
    Then you Browns will give us Clowney + in exchange for Johny.
    The Texans would then get more then just Clowney.

Problem is, the Browns are at #4. Will #2 Rams or #3 JVille scoop up Clowney if Houston does not?

Or is Bortles ahead of Johny?
    Same deal could be made.
    Same problem tho.

How far down the draft board could Texans cut a deal and thus get Clowney + ?
    Obviously the slam dunk deal would be if #2 Rams wanted the Texans #1 pick. Not sure they do.

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    Too risky if you ask me. He'll likely fly off the board at 2 or 3. And if Cleveland was smart, they'd take a QB with their second pick if they want one that bad. Someone will likely slip. And lets be honest, drafting QBs can be a crap shoot. And as a franchise you're better off going with something you're pretty dead set on with Clowney/Mack then trying to play games with a team to hold a player ransom when you could end up stuck with said player.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I don't believe you can make NBA-style trades in the NFL anymore. The deal would have to be done BEFORE seeing how far Clowney falls. Supposedly, the league hated that Eli/Rivers trade. However, if the Browns truly want to trade up to 1, and if the Texans indeed consider Mack a comparable prospect to Clowney, they probably could make the trade with Cleveland and still get one of the top-2 pass-rushers.

Thread Information