Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest we were not ready, the Mavs had played a playoff type game against the Grizz and they brought that into the first game. That was there best shot and they lost and they know it, they don't have a lot of heart and they will implode as always.

The reason we loose is cause we live and die by the three no player other then Tony can create their own shots by taking it to the whole. Our ball handlers are few and far between so teams know this play the three and the passing lanes. Our offense shuts down and we end up turning the ball over....this has been like this every year...
    Been saying this for years now. Great post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a team like the Thunder lets the big three try and outscore them we are toast. TD can't score 1on1 against Perk and Ibaka shuts down the lane for TP/Manu. We could only manage 90pts against a porous Mavs D, and if we get into a halfcourt battle with OKC there will be times when we just can't stop KD/Brook.

This is why I think playing halfcourt ball with two-big lineups plays right into OKC's hands. Perk and Ibaka will stop any team's offense more than their defense will stop KD and Westbrook. That is essentially Brooks' equation, and it was fully on display for the first half of game 1 against Memphis. If they play at that level and we play their game, we just can't beat them.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the team that matches up best with the Thunder (Heat) plays a ton of small ball. If you're going to score consistently enough to beat them you have to make them put Durant at the 4 and choose between Perkins' post D or Ibaka's rim protection and offense. If both are on the floor and they are playing up to their capacity as a defensive unit you just won't outscore them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where Ibaka will provide much more bulk and better defense against Duncan in the post.
    Ibaka is probably the worst one-on-one defender in OKC's starting five. Don't get good help D confused with the ability to guard guys in the post. There's a reason Perkins still has a role on this team. If Ibaka's defense on Duncan is a problem, we really have issues...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka is probably the worst one-on-one defender in OKC's starting five. Don't get good help D confused with the ability to guard guys in the post. There's a reason Perkins still has a role on this team. If Ibaka's defense on Duncan is a problem, we really have issues...
    It is a problem. Ibakas length and athleticism consistently seem to bother Duncan when he's trying to go 1 on 1.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point about Ibaka being a great help defender; but whether Perkins or Ibaka, point remains that OKC has better defenders (1-on-1, weak-side help, and double-teams from guards) to give Duncan far more problems than the Mavs are/will. The athleticism of OKC will cause problems for Duncan if we're relying on his post game like it was 2003, rather than our current-day motion offense.

In a way, I'm glad Dallas is trying this strategy first, since it will give us more time to solve it before the later rounds where it can be executed better against us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everybody is over thinking this, tbh..

The matchup with Dallas has little to do with any future opponents..every round brings a different strategy and approach, it's not like Pop doesn't have his own game plans..

Carlisle is an elite coach(only Pop and Thibs are there with him), he has a history of utilizing different gimmicks to negate his teams' lack of defensive personnel..he did it with the zone defense that won the le when he had to hide Barea/Peja/Terry and even Dirk at times..

He's doing it again with this current squad..the Calderon/Ellis backcourt can't defend anybody, Dirk can only defend the post nowadays, and their Cs cannot defend in 1 on 1 situations(Dalembert is an idiot, also)..he has decided to go all-in on forcing Duncan/Parker and 1 on 1 plays to stop the Spurs and hoping for the best..

Pop didn't need to adjust, and I doubt he will have to in this series, tbh..I don't believe Pop isn't prepared for every possible matchup and opponent..it's the playoffs, though, you don't show your hand too early, especially in a 1st round matchup..

Bill Simmons also said that when he spoke to Pop earlier in the season, Pop's strategy for this regular season was to utilize every possible lineup, particularly small-ball, to be prepared for certain playoff matchups, which is something he admittedly failed to do last year..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about shooting. The Spurs have been cold by Spurs standards for the last couple weeks from the outside. Belinelli seems timid, he's been in a slump lately. Green as well. Because of this, the motion isn't there. I noticed there's not many backdoor cuts. You used to see Manu attempt the long bounce pass for an easy layup as a player cuts down the middle of the lane at least once a game. We haven't seen this in a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the Spurs not doing well on offense doesn't bother me at all. Let's look at the facts: Our team has been coasting for a couple of weeks now because we locked up the top spot. Last night was the first game in weeks that we've actually put our whole team out there and went at it.

It was also a noon game which many teams typically shoot poorly in because they aren't used to playing at that time of day. In a nuts , the poor offense doesn't matter. We're playing the Mavs, not a top 5 team. Our offense will come around in time to where it should be, probably by game 3 or 4. Round 1 is basically a tune up for the real teams.

I'm not trying to totally on the Mavs here, but let's be real, they don't have a chance unless some prick like Ellis tries to take out Duncan's knee. And even when they do do that, he Terminator's his ass back into the game and takes it the over anyway. Spurs in 4-5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a problem. Ibakas length and athleticism consistently seem to bother Duncan when he's trying to go 1 on 1.
    Duncan doesn't bring his A game in the regular season. If Ibaka is matched up on him, you can look for vintage reverse pivots and up and under moves, anything to get him off his feet and into foul trouble. Young shot blockers CANNOT resist ball fakes, and Ibaka is a textbook case of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if this strategy continues to hinder the team, if Pop should just reinsert Manu into the starting lineup and have the Big 3 do their thing at once to ease the load off each other and get off to a great start. I know this would seem to make our bench weaker but maybe this is a counter worth trying later down the road? I still maintain that Pop reinserting Manu into the starting lineup in Game 5 of the 2012 WCF vs. the Thunder was the right move that made those last two games in the series as compe ive as they ended up being.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    post cliff notes OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris' nutsack will reappear and the Dallas gameplan will be quickly abandoned.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you saw was playoff basketball, more defensive pressure and the easy 3 pt shot and ball movement will be harder to come by in the playoffs than the regular season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually I think the Spurs can borrow some of the Mavs' strategies if they were to meet OKC in Western Finals. You can survive if Durant and Westbrook got their dues, but you have to stay with Fishers, Ibakas, and Butlers.

Spurs International Expert gilmor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched this first quarter and it seems Spurs is just taking what Mavs is giving. With Dirk guarding Tony, Tony obviously going to drive. But the shooting of Green and Beli is a worry though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs also had probably 7 shots that hit the rim more than once and came out. I don't see that kind of back luck continuing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its the same way OKC plays the Spurs....Only they have more talent....They pack the lane and sit on the three point shooters.....The Spurs have to shoot well to beat those type of teams....If they figure out a way to incorporate more ball movement IN ORDER TO CONTROL THE TEMPO.....They return to the finals!

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two reasons

1. Parker shredded them when needed (half of Tim's points had to come almost directly due to Parker?)
    2. We could not hit a close to mid range shot. (some went in and out)

We expect playoff D to be better. But we had some wide open misses... so did they, and clearly tired in the 4th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought part of the Spurs' offensive malaise was trying too hard to exploit the Leonard-Ellis matchup through Leonard post-ups and trying to run offense from there. I think they have to go to that some, but perhaps not as much as they did, mostly because the more they initiate offense through post-ups, the less movement of ball and men they seem to have going on.
    Well, Pop had his reasons.
    Leonard's ranked 2nd overall in the NBA in post-ups scoring 1.16 PPP, and like Tony said after the game, because of Mavs switching that took away from outside passing, Spurs can explore more avenues offensively like going to Kawhi when matched with Ellis, and also having Duncan roll on picks for mismatches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs also had probably 7 shots that hit the rim more than once and came out. I don't see that kind of back luck continuing.
    Yes, but Dallas had that in the 4th late too, shots going in and out from close and Dirk shooting badly! Ellis as well! I don't see that part continuing either. Harris should not get that many points though again, so the law of averages will weigh out.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's by design as Carlyle suggests in his post-game interview. They'd rather TP and TD beat them with 2s as opposed to leaving shooters open for 3s. It's kind of a throw back to the 2011 Grizz strategy. Problem for the Mavs is that Dirk kept getting caught in the switches against TP, which you have to think impacted Dirks energy on the other end. The Mavs aren't full of spring chickens either, so this will likely have an impact as the series goes on.
    Exactly. This is what Carlisle wanted to give, and that's what Parker/Duncan took, showing the Spurs can definitely adapt.

To the question "what if the Mavs switch and try to stop you from getting into the paint in the 2nd half?", Parker replied "we'll go back to our regular offense, ball movement and so on".

Clearly Parker (and the Spurs) were taking advantage of the opportunities they got.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont know how many times I have to give in-depth explanations for people to learn about this "observation"
    and its clear who doesnt understand the concepts of basketball by their "observations" from normal terrible posters such as robdiaz

OKC can employ the same strategy and they did in 2012
    but another disadvantage of switching is that not only does the big guard a small guy on the perimeter
    a PG gets switched onto the center
    so Duncan would be posting Westbrook up which would be an instant double team or right hand hook
    he wouldnt be posting Abaka or Perkins

this also leaves the team in great rebounding position since Ibaka would be on the outside which means if Parker did miss a jumpshot Tiago/Tim would be their to clean up the mess since they would have a smaller player trying to box them out

its not a long-term strategy to use against the Spurs since they have an alltime great post up scorer and rebounder and one of the best in NBA history at getting into the paint and finishing at the guard positions who has turned into a great mid range shooter

with flawed teams who have bigs who cant score with their back to the basket or guards who cant drive well or shoot well it works but the Spurs have everything they need to take care of that scheme

If the Mavs played a traditional defensive scheme it would be 20+ point blowouts and they know it so they are willing to try anything else at this point since they have nothing to lose

this strategy wouldnt work against OKC at all if they ran a Durant/Westbrook pick and roll
    Tony would be guarding Durant and Leonard Westbrook on the perimeter

the one thing ive wanted to see is them get a real backup small forward and then you can switch the Ibaka/Durant pick and rolls since Ibaka cant post up and you can let Westbrook chuck his heart out
    Last edited by freetiago; 04-23-2014 at 05:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont know how many times I have to give in-depth explanations for people to learn about this "observation"
    and its clear who doesnt understand the concepts of basketball by their "observations" from normal terrible posters such as robdiaz

OKC can employ the same strategy and they did in 2012
    but another disadvantage of switching is that not only does the big guard a small guy on the perimeter
    a PG gets switched onto the center
    so Duncan would be posting Westbrook up which would be an instant double team or right hand hook
    he wouldnt be posting Abaka or Perkins

this also leaves the team in great rebounding position since Ibaka would be on the outside which means if Parker did miss a jumpshot Tiago/Tim would be their to clean up the mess since they would have a smaller player trying to box them out

its not a long-term strategy to use against the Spurs since they have an alltime great post up scorer and rebounder and one of the best in NBA history at getting into the paint and finishing at the guard positions who has turned into a great mid range shooter

with flawed teams who have bigs who cant score with their back to the basket or guards who cant drive well or shoot well it works but the Spurs have everything they need to take care of that scheme

If the Mavs played a traditional defensive scheme it would be 20+ point blowouts and they know it so they are willing to try anything else at this point since they have nothing to lose

this strategy wouldnt work against OKC at all if they ran a Durant/Westbrook pick and roll
    Tony would be guarding Durant and Leonard Westbrook on the perimeter

the one thing ive wanted to see is them get a real backup small forward and then you can switch the Ibaka/Durant pick and rolls since Ibaka cant post up and you can let Westbrook chuck his heart out
    Terrible Terrible take

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs still shot almost 20 3's. They just didn't fall..What makes the Spurs so good is they can beat you in so many ways. If they hit the 3 ball NOBODY can beat us.
    Last edited by coachmac87; 04-23-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think 7th had more to do with us not being playoff ready,and I for sure will bet on the Coach of the Year to make adjustments. I feel we will give Dallas a whipping tonight. We coasted the last 2 game of the season, Mavs played a playoff game against the Grizzlies.

Thread Information